Author Topic: Spring Cleaning, New Features, and Changes Oh My!  (Read 10993 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Spring Cleaning, New Features, and Changes Oh My!
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »
Alright I've gone through and done some tidying up on the database and stuff.  Biggest change is anyone who hasn't logged in for 9 months has now had their account removed.  Any and all posts they have made still exist, just the logins have been deleted.  If your account was deleted in error, please let us know.  We can easily reattribute all former posts to your new account.

Along with the login flush, many new features have been added since RC3 has went live (and some added during the RC3 upgrade).  Here's a rather complete list of ALL forum features added since the switch to RC3.  Some of these you're probably already aware about, some of them you may not have noticed until now.

Changes:
  • Signature and avatar size limits have been increased to 100kb and 75kb respectively, signature image dimension limit is now 600x150
  • Avatars have been fixed, animated GIFs now upload properly
  • All users with zero posts and no login for over 30 days have been deleted
  • All users with no login for over 270 days, regardless of postcount, have been deleted

Additions and new features:
  • Usernames are now visible in user profiles (so you can track chronic name changers)
  • Signature preview!
    [attach=1]
    (click on image to expand to fullsize)
  • Signatures hidden from guests for privacy
  • Post edit history (mostly useful for moderators, but you can see your own changes)
  • ReCAPTCHA replaces the question/answer system on registrations to lower barrier of entry for non-native English users
  • Quoted posts with images are converted to hotlinks automatically

And probably the most exciting feature in development:
/!\ Mikopics! /!\

What is Mikopics?  Well it's an image hosting service for any and all Shrinemaiden denizens.  No longer will you have to worry about making thumbnails yourself or worrying about size limits and other confusing rules.  For you artists, it makes sharing your art immensely easier as Mikopics will make images posted on MotK searchable.

Here's a list of features it will bring to MotK:
  • One click upload while posting, simple as clicking attach and choosing your picture
  • Autoresizing and thumbnailing to board limits
  • Choose to either attach image to bottom of post or in-line with your post text
  • Tagging support, add or remove tags from images to assist searching
  • Search support, search images by author, post, thread, tagnames, etc.

Part of the integration code has been added already.  You can abuse the autoresizing/thumbnailing feature right now!  Just click Attach, choose your image, and select how you want to show it in the post.  The Signature Preview image in this post was attached with the "Inline expandable thumbnail" setting.  If you click on the thumbnail it'll autoexpand to the fullsize image, a later option will allow users to choose to have the fullsize image open in a new tab/window.

When Mikopics goes live, you will use the same general procedure to add images to your post.  When you attach a picture, it'll be automatically uploaded to Mikopics, tagged initially with your username and the post it was attached to, along with any tags you entered in at attachment time.  Other people may choose to add or remove tags on your image, to help organize and make things easier to find and search for.  Think of it as a mini-Danbooru for MotK!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:30:13 PM by ♪ Matsuoka Miu ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Spring Cleaning, New Features, and Changes Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
Woo Mikopics is finally here, awesome!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
Woo Mikopics is finally here, awesome!

Not quite, but almost.  I still need to finish the storage backend and the tagging system.  But the forum integration code is more or less finished.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »
Woo, how exciting! And another bonus with mikopics, is that we'll probably save on the costs of broom replacement for Matsy and I. :3
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Matsuri

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »
\o/

Awesome stuff, Fate. :*

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
To avoid getting pruned, does the person just need to be online, or do they actually need to manually log into their account? Because I have it log me in automatically, so uh :x

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
To avoid getting pruned, does the person just need to be online, or do they actually need to manually log into their account? Because I have it log me in automatically, so uh :x

I'm deleting based on last time online, not last actual login.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
Nice, mikopics sounds excellent. No more dealing with imageshack's thumbnail system  :V

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »
I note with some degree of sadface that it won't resize avatars anymore.  Anyway to get this back?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
Mikobooru, hooray!

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »
And probably the most exciting feature in development:
/! Mikopics! /!

I am intrigued. This sounds so cool.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »
Hoorah, Mikopics is almost ready for public! ^_^

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:48:48 AM »
I note with some degree of sadface that it won't resize avatars anymore.  Anyway to get this back?

Weird, hold on I'll fix it.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
Post edit history (mostly useful for moderators, but you can see your own changes)

Wait, so does this mean my asinine suggestion to make every post run on wiki software is now partially implemented?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
Yes we can see every edit you make and roll back to any old version BV

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
Mikopics sounds pretty damn awesome. Great work, Fate.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »
Technically... isn't this Summer Cleaning?

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 01:56:37 AM »
Ok, this is why Shrinemaiden rules!

Also, is their any specific reason for why I can't see CPMC or whatever it's currently called(:V) on the board list?

Bananamatic

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »
Regular CPMC wipe I guess :V