Author Topic: Slayers Thread! DORAGU SUREIBU  (Read 8545 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Slayers Thread! DORAGU SUREIBU
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:36:35 AM »
This was the first anime/fandom that I ever got worked into, and it still gives me fond memories. I remember even learning how to sing some of the songs before knowing a lick of Japanese  :colonveeplusalpha:

Got any Slayers fans in the woodwork? I know there's been some new series in recent years, but i've only seen the first three seasons along with a couple of the movies.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Re: Slayers Thread! DORAGU SUREIBU
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
Slayers was one of the three series that introduced me to anime, the other two being Ruroni Kenshin and Magic Knights Rayearth. Rayearth was my first series I watched. Loved all of em. :D

I saw that series, only problem was I caught the last 5 episodes that were being played of the new series. D'oh!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »
Thanks for reminding me I need to borrow Revolution off of my friend.

I kept putting it off since I grew up with the dub (And while the JP voices are fine enough, they just feel WEIRD after being so used to the dub), so I didn't watch it while it or Evolution-R was coming out, and now I just haven't gotten around to it @_@

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
Same story, even though half of the "french cartoons" I was watching as a child was actually an anime (Dragonball, Sailormoon, Pokeman), Slayers was the first I seen in Japanese and knowing that I'm watching a japanese anime. So same story as Nobuta.

Yeah, Revolution and EvolutionR was VERY good. Especially the second one. You should watch it.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
I kept putting it off since I grew up with the dub (And while the JP voices are fine enough, they just feel WEIRD after being so used to the dub), so I didn't watch it while it or Evolution-R was coming out, and now I just haven't gotten around to it @_@

I grew up with the dub for the first season, before discovering subs for the first time in Next. The dub is still pretty hilarious though. :V

I used to actually do Slayers roleplaying on AOL chatrooms, and it was the first online community I ever joined back in ~end of the 90s early 2000s. Bonus points to anyone that could guess which character. :3

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Ahhh, Slayers.  It's the first show I watched in completion back in the day, and still one of my all-time favorites.  There's actually a new manga being released.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
Ahhh, Slayers.  It's the first show I watched in completion back in the day, and still one of my all-time favorites.  There's actually a new manga being released.

HOLY SHIT!

Slayers IN THE FUTURE!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »
I once heard the canny observation that Record of Lodoss War is what most people want their D&D campaigns to be like, but Slayers is how they usually end up.

And yeah, Slayers is one of the best old animes out there.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »
I love what I've seen of Slayers.  Unfortunately, that's only up to the end of the first story arc (not even the first series... ;_;) for various reasons... Sigh.  I mean, they never showed it on TV here, so it's kinda a bit more difficult to get into without having to sacrifice hard earned funds to get the DVDs (although from what I hear it'd probably be worth it).
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
I once heard the canny observation that Record of Lodoss War is what most people want their D&D campaigns to be like, but Slayers is how they usually end up.

I heard they actually released a Slayers d20 system a while back, I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to track it down? :3

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
I used to actually do Slayers roleplaying on AOL chatrooms, and it was the first online community I ever joined back in ~end of the 90s early 2000s. Bonus points to anyone that could guess which character. :3

I can't help but think you'd be the kind of person who would roleplay Naga or something. No, really.

I actually like the Slayers series a lot, it's quite a good series that I genuinely enjoyed watching way back when. :3

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
I remember I used to watch Slayers.  It was a pretty good anime, and it still is.  I wonder how many people here have played DotA.  The hero with the sorceress model is quite fun.   :V

Spoiler:
It's Lina Inverse for those of you who don't want to play such a shitty map.

I also watched Lost Universe a while back.  It's actually not as bad as I first thought it was.  Definitely worth seeing if you liked Slayers.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »
Spoiler:
It's Lina Inverse for those of you who don't want to play such a shitty map.

Spoiler:
You take that back, you piece of crap!

No hard feelings, dude.

LAGUNA BLAAAAAAADE

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
I've watched the series but it never really left an impression on me due to the 2nd and 3rd seasons being way better than the latest two (or one)
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
Well, the first series definitely shows its age. I went back and watched some of the first series and oh man. :V

Slayers Next has some great animation though, and I actually thought Tri was a little *too* shiny sometimes.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I love Slayers.  Lina and Amelia are just awesome.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
Hehe, Score.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 02:09:37 AM »
Slayers was bitchin' back in the day. Watched all the OVAs/Movies and the entire first season. Wish I got around to all the rest... What a great show.

I grew up with the dub for the first season, before discovering subs for the first time in Next. The dub is still pretty hilarious though. :V

Fuck yeah, the dub was awesome! Haha, Naga was amazing in the movies.