Author Topic: "Haaaaaaaaaalp ;O;" (Spell Card Help Topic: III)  (Read 186487 times)

Drake

Re: The Even Newer Spell Card Help Topic (Iteration: III)
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
It's streaming. Tap few times, capture card. Easiest thing ever.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

NLTM

• Fuck You Marisa
  • I mean, Fuck.
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
It's streaming. Tap few times, capture card. Easiest thing ever.

Hmm, I guess I was missing something simple. This card now just makes me paranoid as shit. I need to learn to calm down here now.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:13 AM »
Oh, and tap only when the shots are fired. Tap slowly.
If you stream too fast, you hit random stuff.
It's loleasy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:59:04 AM by jsonchiu »

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
It is indeed a trick. Whenever the bubble shoots down at you, just tap a small bit to the side. Repeat until Ran is dead.
EDIT: hurr how do i saw new page

Anyway! Shou's last midspell is her only attack that I haven't captured. I tried looking at AM's Lunatic run and saw his amazing strategy for grazing it and remaining completely safe from any lasers, but I can't get it down. Is there a certain trick to it? And are Shou's movements random or static? 'cause her smashing into me is the reason for most of my deaths while trying it out :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:49:19 AM by SenSageUn »

NLTM

• Fuck You Marisa
  • I mean, Fuck.
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:13 AM »
Most of Icirin's cards I've gotten the hang of, but I can't for the life of me get past Scolding From A Traditional Old Man without a bomb or 2.

Also while we're on the subject of UFO, Murasa's survival.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:46 AM »
Scolding From A Traditional Old Man
Stay near the bottom center, move up when the fists appear (or you can learn to dodge between the fists).
Then, just read and doge the lasers. It isn't that hard.

Sinker Ghost
circle around the screen and move through the rings proactively

ebarrett

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »
It's streaming.

Also, when in doubt, try this for anything at least once.

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »
EoSD, Princess Undine, is there a trick to it?  I always seem to get walled either by the big blue bullets, or the small ones after.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »
UFO halp, how to deal with random stage spam in general while chasing UFO tokens?
how to do stage 4 pre boss spam before those big faries while abusing the Mountain Of UFO tokens?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
  • Practice practice practice! By the way, you shouldn't really be chasing most tokens up the screen; instead it's better to utilize techniques such as trailing UFOs to stall the colour change and / or collecting them when they come down the screen, swapping to your desired colour in the process
  • Use bombs to quickly destroy the UFOs and safely collect the tokens; amassing greens and using 1 Bomb per UFO will give you a net gain and is much better than letting them go to waste

Anyway! Shou's last midspell is her only attack that I haven't captured. I tried looking at AM's Lunatic run and saw his amazing strategy for grazing it and remaining completely safe from any lasers, but I can't get it down. Is there a certain trick to it? And are Shou's movements random or static? 'cause her smashing into me is the reason for most of my deaths while trying it out :(
Not the other way around? Interesting.

If you are truly getting rammed I predict it's either one of the two cases:
  • You just happen to be positioned to the side of her when she moves
  • She's moving in a diagonal as opposed to a direct left / right

Both of these problems are easily solved. For the second case specifically, you'll want to be further away, to the point of occasionally hitting the area where you're getting 100 graze per second (which means that you're close enough to the edge of the blindzone). Note that for you Reimu playing pricks players, you don't get such a noticeable sound cue to work with because your Grazebox is smaller, but it's possible nonetheless.

To prevent actual collisions in both cases, it would be best if you're right above Syou before / during movement. To get this, you'll have to circle around at a partly fixed speed. There's a distinct minimum because of the purple, aimed lasers. There's also a maximum speed that you should be circling at as moving too far around the circle means that you get locked into an area where you end up being on the side instead of the top. Finally, always start a little bit to the left to help you stay above.

Syou's movement with regard to the x-coordinates are fixed (or at least, fixed to a point where it's safe enough to consider it the same value), though the y- ones are not; see above. The direction she moves is also chosen at random.

If the problem persists see your local pharmacist / doctor / GP upload a replay so I can see what's going on.

EoSD, Princess Undine, is there a trick to it?  I always seem to get walled either by the big blue bullets, or the small ones after.
The bubble waves are pretty hit and miss as they can turn from "generous" to "crazy macrododge shenanigans" depending on where you and Patchy are positioned, and how she moves. Being hit by the small ones after the bubbles is reported to be quite common; there's no trick to this apart from paying attention to those bullets in addition to the bubbles.

Tidbit: considering that you can't really control the angle between you and Patchy (face the facts, the Spell Card tries to box you in as the name might suggest) and the fact that the Card also has pretty high HP when considering the nature the Card, it's shouldn't really come as a surprise that most players have a preference of bombing this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:45:51 PM by Baitikkuri »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
Princess Undine
If you are talking about the normal version (hard/lunatic is "Bury in the Lake")...
There should be enough room to dodge it normally, but make sure you move through gaps proactively or something.
Patchy likes to move around and screw you up though.
Bury in the Lake, on the other hand, :V
I seriously don't know how to read clusters of EoSD bubbles.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:22:06 PM by jsonchiu »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »
Whoops, brainfart; go lack of sleep for the past week.

I'll assume that you're going for the capture just because; it's actually quite a difficult Spell Card with the general opinion being that it's more difficult than "Bury in Lake" even.

Anyway, there is a small "trick" that you can use that might help alleviate the walling / trapping problem. When the lasers are being fired, constantly move towards the side ones so that the absurdly slow bullets spread out; they can even be more potentially spread out when you factor in Random Boss Movement; in the worst case scenario you're going to get the same results as not moving around as much and thus you're not losing anything extra.

I'm also going to suggest trying to maintain control of the screen, moving up where possible (and safe of course) is a large help and gives you more freedom of movement.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »
I realize it's mostly due to my inability to dodge random stuff, but I get completely utterly destroyed by lunatic "exiled doll" trying to time it out. I die alot as soon as it starts getting messy. Any advice on how to improve, or on the card in general?
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Drake

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »
Mainly on-the-fly dodging, sorry. The glitter being close to the background color doesn't help, but after eight waves or whatever it's totally reading.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »
Made some progress in UFO extra...

Nightmare of Heiankyou
wut? How come I keep getting owned? ???

Also, any strategy for Rainbow UFO? It seems like a huge random clusterfuck to dodge.

Then, MoF extra...
Frog is Eaten by Snake due to Croak
I don't seem to get when to circle around her or something.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:34:50 PM by jsonchiu »

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
Yuyuko halp.
EVERYTHING (normal)
yep.
EVERYTHING
Except Resurrection Butterfly (that's easy)

NLTM

• Fuck You Marisa
  • I mean, Fuck.
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »
One of Suwako's cards, I think it's Snake Eats the Croaking Frog or something. I can't get it down for the life of me.

Also her first survival, the one where she just bounces around and sends bullets everywhere.

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »
Yuyuko halp.
EVERYTHING (normal)
yep.
EVERYTHING
What character and what shot type?

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »
For PCB, Heartbeam has some excellent information around for the beginning of stage 6 (especially the third non-card with the knives) in this thread, and I'm afraid most cards are "learn a pattern and then dodge", so looking at a replay should do the trick.

I could use some advice for Resurrection Butterfly -80% myself, though I suspect there's no magic red button for that card, and no easy dodge pattern that can be done consistently (sure, I can dodge a wave most of the time... most of the time).

Snake Eats the Croaking Frog works more or less that way: Suwako will put a ring of green bullets with a gap somewhere, which you should go through (you can take a bit of time there), and then circle clockwise around her until she stops firing at you. Then it's a ring of blue bullets, and you have to go counter-clockwise. Watching a replay should help there too if you're the visual type, but I know it took me a ridiculous amount of time before I finally got what's going on (did I mention I've yet to capture the Jade river card?  ::))

For the first survival card, a zigzag pattern with minimal vertical movement works pretty well for me, though the last few seconds can get a bit hectic (not Suwa War level, but still).

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »
What character and what shot type?
Reimu B, Marisa A or Sakuya B

Those three I play most .
if it is really important.
I play Marisa A More

Udongein

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »
Is there ANY way I can properly dodge EX Kogasa's last card? I'm sick of losing multiple lives/bombs to it.
ReimuA btw

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
Is there ANY way I can properly dodge EX Kogasa's last card? I'm sick of losing multiple lives/bombs to it.
ReimuA btw

I'd suggest moving along with the lasers so you don't have to fight their momentum when they slow down, which should make stopping a lot easier... the first 15 seconds shouldn't be too fast, though, and if you can survive them it should go down in a single bomb.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
ReimuA btw

I really can't say there's any concrete strategy. Though... If the lasers spin clockwise, move a bit to the right, then move left as it slows down. If they spin counterclockwise, well, move left, then right. Other than that, it's up to your own judgment to move differently when appropriate. Also, joke replay attached.

Udongein

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
I'd suggest moving along with the lasers so you don't have to fight their momentum when they slow down, which should make stopping a lot easier... the first 15 seconds shouldn't be too fast, though, and if you can survive them it should go down in a single bomb.
Hm. Never thought to do that.
I really can't say there's any concrete strategy. Though... If the lasers spin clockwise, move a bit to the right, then move left as it slows down. If they spin counterclockwise, well, move left, then right. Other than that, it's up to your own judgment to move differently when appropriate. Also, joke replay attached.
I did try that once, I think. Seemed to work pretty well until a laser activated right on top of Reimu's hitbox.

Regardless, I'll give both of these tips a whirl. Thanks for them!

Heartbeam

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:04 AM »
Yuyuko halp.
EVERYTHING (normal)
yep.
EVERYTHING

For the other stuff not included in the thread Angel on the Steps linked to.  Right, so, I hope it's fine without pictures.

Lost Soul's Village

Can be a bit of a time eater.  You can stay near Yuyuko's marker for the first few waves until the lasers really start to cross over, and that should do it for high-powered shots.  A time consuming (but safer for each wave) method is to meet the arrowhead bullets head-on along the side of the screen so they're coming straight down on you.  Be careful of spending too much time underneath Yuyuko, especially if you didn't push up to exit the wave earlier.

Second Noncard

Slowly stream from one side and it should be down before you hit the end with the shot types you mentioned.  If you need to turn around then you should create your gap pretty early for the best chance.  It'll take some time for the old wall of purple bullets to settle down.

Deadly Dance

So we have a static butterfly pattern and aimed bubble bullets.  One way to supposedly simplify the beginning is to start underneath and close to Yuyuko then circle around her (so the blue/purple 'arm' spawning to her right is behind you). Once you've made two complete laps you'll prepare to exit the loop on her left side when the pattern changes directions. The bubbles should be more manageable, but it really shouldn't matter on Normal because you can pass through gaps everywhere without really thinking about it.

Aside from that it's working a route and sticking to it for an easy capture.  The biggest hurdle at this point should be in navigating the butterfly bullets, but the pattern is spread in a way that you can make quick dashes across the bottom when you need to cover distance.  It'll probably be one of the later spells in the game for you to conquer if you put equal time into everything.

Flowery Soul

Hard to give a good explanation for this.  Okay, so my take on this spell is to navigate through as few medium-sized bullets as possible in between the spirit bursts.  Because of how the bullets are fired the best way is to direct the spirits up and down.  You don't have to overcompensate for the spirits when they come your way, but that can change with your position and the higher difficulties.  A tap should do, but larger than a hitbox's worth because the spirits expand into a clump when they congregate.  The red 'cloud' before you see before the butterfly bullets appear is a safe zone, so don't panic but sure as hell get out of there.

It may be better to throw a replay this way then focus on whatever method you use.

Final Noncard

Only problem that should come here is tapping a bit early to avoid one of the green butterfly bullets, then getting hit by an arrowhead that didn't re-orient to your position until after the tap.  Just don't drag through this attack like a zombie, and you shouldn't be caught off-guard.  Unlikely to happen on this difficulty, but you may encounter butterfly waves positioned in such a way to keep you moving more to the side than you'd like.  If you don't make larger-than-necessary movements then you shouldn't run into the bullets fired away from you.

Sumizome Perfect Blossom

What do we have here...

Yuyuko can occupy one of three positions on the screen, affected by your character's position relative to her.  Each of those three positions is a variable location and may change over time.  I don't know how much the player's position relative to her has an impact on this.  For simplicity's sake you can refer to them as left, center, and right.  She'll first fire a purple butterfly wave then move one position over in the direction of your character.  After that it'll be after every set of blue / purple butterflies.  Now, she doesn't have to move and you can be to her left while she's on the left side, and she may stay put.  This should only raise concerns about the angle of the launched butterfly wave and possibly your ability to stay underneath her.

Each butterfly wave has an aimed component.  The left 'arm' for the purple wave and right for the blue wave.  I haven't bothered to determine the exact moment the waves lock on your position, but right as they fire is a simple assumption.  You shouldn't be moving much, anyway.  It's streaming, but a little messy.

Okay, the actual method.  I like to take the left corner as the initial bubble wave passes through, and I'll blast away as Yuyuko fires the next two butterfly waves after the first one.  When she moves to the center you can still stay to her left for the next two waves and bunch the bullets closer together.  Hurry after that if you still want to lead her to the right.  When you drag her to the right side you'll make sure you create some space between the last butterfly wave and the one that's about to come.  Because it's a blue wave the arm will be on the right side, and you'll be safe to turn around (while minding the random pellets).  Continue as before, but for the left side you should be a little up on the screen to direct the blue wave, then slip under them.  It can be a bit of a hassle because the petal bullets should be dense by now, but keep your calm (or bomb) and she should be down by the time you lead her back to the right.  If you were directly underneath her most of the time.

Another way is to take is extremely slow and disregard her position.  Just stream the butterfly waves as slowly as possible and repeat with the same misdirect method.  At least you'll be making smaller strides through the petals.

Eh, this post is enough for now.

Replay (Reimu-B Deadly Dance slight alternative)
Replay (Marisa-A Deadly Dance standard)

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
Okuu halp
normal

1st card sucks badly

2nd card contains luckshit right?

3rd card is the spawn of icicle fail normal no help needed here

4th card causes EYE CANCER

5th card causes TOO MANY LUCKSHIT WALLS

How to unfail?

Bananamatic

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
1st card suns are aimed
I find the lunatic version easier tbh
2nd card dodge, no luckshit there
4th card dodge horizontal only
5th card dodge, no walls or luckshit there

utsuho is a dodging boss, no tricks there

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »
This is sort of a silly exercise, but I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my graze count on at least the stage portion of IN stage 3 while still collecting all the point items (example replay). In particular,
- I can net 1000-1300 graze on the opening fairy wave by simple streaming, but I miss 5-10 point items;
- I don't really have a plan afterwards until midboss Keine;
- I can net 900-1000 graze on the fairy wave after midboss Keine, while collecting all the point items; can this be improved?

Also, I could use some help with supergrazing "Three Sacred Treasures - Country" with border team. I have a replay where the player controlling scarlet team alternatively places Remilia within the circle that spawns the red knives and grazes the blue knives on the outside of its respective circle. I can't duplicate this, due to a) Yukari's slow speed and b) somehow always directing Keine to the top of the screen, where dodging the blue knives becomes impossible. Help?

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »
utsuho is a dodging boss, no tricks there

There is always the thing about her 4th non-spell. And i'm pretty sure there is a safespot at the bottom of the screen right on top of the enemy marker during her 3rd spell.

mikeKOSA

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
This is sort of a silly exercise, but I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my graze count on at least the stage portion of IN stage 3 while still collecting all the point items (example replay). In particular,
- I can net 1000-1300 graze on the opening fairy wave by simple streaming, but I miss 5-10 point items;
- I don't really have a plan afterwards until midboss Keine;
- I can net 900-1000 graze on the fairy wave after midboss Keine, while collecting all the point items; can this be improved?

Also, I could use some help with supergrazing "Three Sacred Treasures - Country" with border team. I have a replay where the player controlling scarlet team alternatively places Remilia within the circle that spawns the red knives and grazes the blue knives on the outside of its respective circle. I can't duplicate this, due to a) Yukari's slow speed and b) somehow always directing Keine to the top of the screen, where dodging the blue knives becomes impossible. Help?

you can get 1800-2100 graze if you dont kill the fairies immediately on the opening wave but you will miss a lot  of point items. on post-midboss keine, try streaming from right to left on the first wave then left to right on second while collection point items. this will give you 1500 graze.. here's a demonstration (ignore the stupid mistakes). on three sacred treasures, just unfocus when going inside the circle and when keine move on the top of the screen, there is still room to dogde the blue knives(as show in the demo).