Author Topic: "Haaaaaaaaaalp ;O;" (Spell Card Help Topic: III)  (Read 186362 times)

Bananamatic

Re: The Even Newer Spell Card Help Topic (Iteration: III)
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
No. Never. I don't play that way. Except for 1cc purposes.
poor game design isn't a reason to limit yourself further

Formless God

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
Poor skill isn't a reason to blame game design.
Otherwise I would've considered Mushihime the worst game ever.

Bananamatic

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
in that case, we all suck so much that we can't consistently perfect freaking stage TWO

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
in that case, we all suck so much that we can't consistently perfect freaking stage TWO

You'd think that perfecting Aya, Youmu, Orin etc., timing out VoWG and SFN and Apollo 13 would be having skills enough. But apparently ZUN have decided that its good game design to have spells that are harder to clear than Stage 6 cards.

poor game design isn't a reason to limit yourself further

No. Its a perfectly good reason to turn off the game and play something good instead.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:56:57 AM by Zengeku the Viking »

Bananamatic

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »
You'd think that perfecting Aya, Youmu, Orin etc., timing out VoWG and SFN and Apollo 13 would be having skills enough. But apparently ZUN have decided that its good game design to have spells that are harder to clear than Stage 6 cards.
perfecting a stage or timing out a spellcard doesn't mean anything tbh, anyone here can pull it off with luck and effort

perfect the whole game or do scoring

Formless God

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
You'd think that perfecting Aya, Youmu, Orin etc., timing out VoWG and SFN and Apollo 13 would be having skills enough.
Never.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
perfecting a stage or timing out a spellcard doesn't mean anything tbh, anyone here can pull it off with luck and effort

perfect the whole game or do scoring

Scoring? Nah. Too much memo.
Perfect the whole game? Not too likely.

My point is, how come perfecting Aya, Orin, Youmu, Utsuho, Marisa, The Prismrivers, Alice and i could go on and on, is easier than perfecting a blasted Stage 2 boss?

As for timing out cards, yeah anyone can do that if they dedicate enough time and effort on it. They can get lucky at all SFN's waves for example. And some will do it in 50 tries and others will do it in 4000 tries.

For me, i'll give a Touhou game 5 tries for a 1cc before i get sick of it and most of my spellcard timeouts come really quickly. I don't see why Kogasa should be such a problem.

Bananamatic

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »
You're almost in the arcade phase :V

and it's because zun is a lazy bitch and doesn't playtest

Formless God

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »
I don't think anybody does :getdown:

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »

and it's because zun is a lazy bitch and doesn't playtest

He prefers the term "Idealist"
Let me back into CPMC :|

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »

What do you mean by this?

Bananamatic

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
For me, i'll give a Touhou game 5 tries for a 1cc before i get sick of it
play the SOTW

Formless God

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 03:50:51 PM »
Scoreboard of the Week.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
Scoreboard of the Week.

That does ring a bell. Its the arcade shmups score boards right? The one where you compete at different shmups each week. But i'm not a fan of arcade shmups. Never was. There was something about Touhou that got me interested but other of the good shmups out there like DDP and Ketsui etc. just feels boring.

But maybe i should head over there and check it out anyway.

Formless God

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
DDP and Ketsui etc. just feels boring.
WAT

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »
WAT

This doesn't belong here. You can read why here and a confession of a non-Touhou shmup i enjoy! :D

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=6444.210

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
I hope this belongs here... Is there any strategy to Minorikos second non spell in lunatic?  I try to go in between the "arms" of the first ring of blue bullets, and stream as I follow it along and try to dodge the second ring as it comes down (never works).
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
It is some kind of streaming. Stream from left to right and dodge the bullets. Then dash to the left again and repeat.

Here is a demonstration:
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9415

Excuse failures. I'm pretty sleepy at the moment.

Formless God

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
Er, like this ? You just need to stream to the right and read the second ring fast enough.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
Thanks you two. That was really helpful. I actually managed to time it out just now after watching the stuff you posted. It seemed so freaking scary before!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
There was something about Touhou that got me interested but other of the good shmups out there like DDP and Ketsui etc. just feels boring.

It's the lolis, man. The lolis.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 02:40:12 PM »
How do I not suck at Murasa's Sinker Ghost?  It always either kills me or makes me use two bombs.

Oh, and everything Shou throws at you but I'm guessing that's the sort of thing EVERYBODY wants help on.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
How do I not suck at Murasa's Sinker Ghost?  It always either kills me or makes me use two bombs.

Oh, and everything Shou throws at you but I'm guessing that's the sort of thing EVERYBODY wants help on.

Sinker Ghost is basically go around the edges, and don't panic because she never appears right on top of you if you keep moving. Proactively go through the rings, otherwise they'll sandwich you against the side when you're running away.

Shou is definitely a pain, it's a matter of memorizing relative safe spots to dodge the curvy lasers. First spell is doable if you can beat Nazrin's version, if anything, it's less random. Keep in mind that she only ever moves to 3 spots, so you can plan ahead where to be for the lasers. Second spell, you should go up at the beginning, and ride down with the walls when the lasers appear. Once the lasers start fading, it's safe to move through them. Third spell makes it insanely difficult to stay under Shou, if you're going for 1CC you may want to just time it out or bomb. Generally, the lasers are nicer to you if you don't go to the far edges. Last spell is read/pray/dodge. When the bullet spawn, don't shy away from the ones that are closer, it's better you dodge them during that brief moment that you can clearly see their path.

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
I was wondering, is Meiling's Colorful Light Chaotic Dance static? Her movements seem to be the same every time, but do the bullets move the same way as well?

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
It's the lolis, man. The lolis.

I suppose.  ::)

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
I was wondering, is Meiling's Colorful Light Chaotic Dance static? Her movements seem to be the same every time, but do the bullets move the same way as well?
The diagonal bullets are a bit random, but in the same general location and direction I think,
which means most of the time you can easily dodge all of them by staying at the bottom even in lunatic.

I never really pay attention to her movements. The rings are definitely static relative to Meiling though.
There are 2 variations of the pattern that she fire, and she alternates between them.

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Kanako's first nonspell.

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
Kanako's first nonspell.
For me, this one is straight up dodging. I did, however, found that I dodge much better when:

1. I don't hug the bottom of the screen. I give myself a little distance so that if I need to I can move back/left or back/right or just back. Although some people might do better if they just stick to the bottom and dodge left/right because the bullets are relatively fast. I know I only move left/right when I'm dodging Sakuya's stage 6 midboss card (eternal meek?).

2. I don't look at my character sprite. I found that when I'm dodging bullets that are random and fast, I do better when I play enough so that I understand where my character/hitbox is, and when I look above my character a little bit. This makes it so that I'm focusing on the area in above my character so I can react to the bullets. I still see my character, I'm just don't have my eyes focused on it.

NLTM

• Fuck You Marisa
  • I mean, Fuck.
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »
How do I not fail Ran's first spell? I'll go in with 3 or more lives and lose them all here.

Is there a trick I'm missing or am I just bad?