Author Topic: Approximately how big is the Touhou Fanbase?  (Read 12574 times)

Approximately how big is the Touhou Fanbase?
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
Japanese and Foreign.
Let me back into CPMC :|

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Approximately how big is the Touhou Fanbase?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
Japanese and Foreign.

Big enough that when aliens make first contact with us, they will assume Zun is our world leader.

Ok seriously I don't know other than probably bigger than pretty much every other doujin game's fanbase combined.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »
Weeell, I think that's it's pretty spread far out and large for that matter... just that many of the fans aren't as open about it as other fanbases.

Verloren

• Servant for Life~
  • Touhou Sweets~
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
I'd say there's a lot - more than most commercial games, but at the same time also probably not as big as it will be if it continues to spread like this.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
Touhou gets the greatest amount of hits in these top media sites:
-Nico Nico Douga (129,689 vids tagged the general Touhou tag + 2684 tags that have "東方" in them)
-Pixiv (733,137 pictures tagged touhou ...as a reference, "Original" tag has 590,171,  VOVALOID tag has 454,365 (Including the various capitals short forms...etc.)

...and has roughly 664,900 vids tagged touhou or 東方 on Youtube
(Data as of 10/06/26 a.k.a. when this thread was made.)

This is tags on videos and pictures so this is still very unreliable data, so we also put in information of cons and events.
Major Cons:
-Reitaisai 2010 had more than 30,000 people attending. (Numbers not including circles)
-紅楼夢 had roughly 10,000 people attending ('')
Minor Cons:
大⑨州東方祭り:4000 people ('')
...etc.
Also as far as I know -including the three mentioned- there are 35 "Touhou Only" events going on all over japan this year (Some already ended)

I don't know if these data will give you evident enough numbers, but when you compare these numbers to the audience measurements of some recent animes, I think you'll get a good idea on how many active touhou fans there are in Japan.
(Measuring the fanbase for lurkers and people who keep quiet about it is more difficult
Also since people can obtain games, books, and music through various means of file sharing *koff*and pirating *koff*
direct sales are making it harder and harder to measure fans from actual sales.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:55:21 AM by Sabino »

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »
As overseas (aka not Japan) fandom goes, I think it's unknown, and I think it's more less than in Japan. In my country, I think there are around 10-15 fans only.

barasia

• mokomokomokomoko
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »
I think its growing. in my online gaming username, i use "Cirno the Ice Fairy".
many people assume im gay and bully me for that because they dont know Touhou.
but occasionally, i meet someone that knows Touhou.
the number seems to grow every month.
Termnl_yt ht_i_sba. enfi_et uao_nri e_ewc_ gfo_f ineo kh_ tr o

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:11 AM »
I regularly see people with touhou references in their avatar, name or spray picture in TF2, which means on European servers.

The disease is spreading.  >:D
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 04:19:19 AM »
I'd like to think that the Touhou fanbase is growing largely because of the fan artists and doujin music circles. I mean, my C76 folder for touhou music has 122 albums...for one event. I think the music has been remixed in nearly every instrument known to man by now...

Of course, playing the games is a requirement for the fanbase since ZUN wants people who are in the fanbase to at least try one of the games at one point.

So yeah, it's big, it's dedicated, but outside of Japan...just not talked about a whole lot because it's not mainstream.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »
Considering there is fanart of everything that exists in Touhou form, I'd say it's pretty big.