Author Topic: Constant changing of names  (Read 13664 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Constant changing of names
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
It's getting to be very irritating to try to figure out who I'm talking to on a given thread when many forum members change their names suddenly, without any kind of indication of who they normally are. I feel this needs a solution.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: Constant changing of names
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:00:35 AM »
A little while back we made usernames show up in profiles for that very reason. They don't change, so you can always check someone's profile if you aren't sure who they are.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
A little while back we made usernames show up in profiles for that very reason. They don't change, so you can always check someone's profile if you aren't sure who they are.

Heh, funny you should say that, you are the very reason I complained in the first place! :D I was all "Who is this Vita person that is posting in the Stuffman thread?" And whilst the profile thing is very helpful and solves most of my problem, I'll still grumble at how I might not suspect that I'm talking to a namechanger. Rassum frassum.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
Heh, funny you should say that, you are the very reason I complained in the first place! :D

Bwa hah hah, I figured as much.  :3

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »
There, now no one should have any problems :]

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
Uhuh . Thanks for letting us know! :3
... wait o.o

Though I don't visit... much... I'll be able to check who is who now |D

I found out who this Vita person is thru PM first though xD. I kinda like the thrill (huh?) about the idea of guessing who that seems to be a new guy by name but veteran-ish in aura is. But eh, nevermind that.

(Yay, I can change profile name without making anyone confused!... eh, on second thought, maybe not.)
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
It's a pretty stupid feature but it fits in well with the general identity-crisis prone fanbase.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
Hey don't blame me.  I didn't want it at all given how easy it used to be to impersonate staff or someone else.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Edible

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Hey don't blame me.  I didn't want it at all given how easy it used to be to impersonate staff or someone else.

*blameblameblame*

:alrightnowstop:

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
Hataters gonna hatate.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »

Tasty Sauteed Onion  :]

Edible

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
Tasty Sauteed Onion  :]

Was my doing.

>_>

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
And tasty, too!
:thanksedible:

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
Yeah the name-changing habits of this community drives me nuts. Bless the username feature under proflie <3. Nobu also has good taste, after watching all of Nanoha, I can say Vita is the best >=)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
This is why I always keep the Yoshi part of my name. It makes it pretty much impossible to not know who I am unless some other Yoshi I don't know about is lurking around. The username in profile feature is nice though.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
That still gets us into problems sometimes.
like Drake and ShiningDrake.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
Drake and ShiningDrake.
Those are both the names they registered with though, so it's got nothing to do with changing names freely.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
That still gets us into problems sometimes.
like Drake and ShiningDrake.

I never change my name anyway x: ...Which is kinda why there's a  problem <.<; Since I don't really have anything else I go as...

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »
It's just like real life. How many time have you run into people with the same name, sometimes even in the same group of friends?

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 08:53:03 PM »
At least in those cases, most people have distinctive avatars or sigs. I think there's a few other people here with Azure in their name, but if they don't have something cute, pink, and fluffy in their avatar, you know it's not me.
(It's like in real life, where I know at least 6 other people with the same first name as me...)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »
Most times, sigs or avatars or a name part give it away.

But I'll straight up admit I didn't know who the fuck Nobu was at first til I looked it up. =[

Hopefully I'm usually easy to pick out. =I

Matsuri

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
I think my name or signature should be enough of a giveaway at this point.

Especially since every name change I've ever had has had Matsuri or Matsy in it in some form.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Yeah, I used to know like three Nicks, and two of them were close friends.

Yeah the name-changing habits of this community drives me nuts. Bless the username feature under proflie <3. Nobu also has good taste, after watching all of Nanoha, I can say Vita is the best >=)
So~Nanoha~?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
I think my name or signature should be enough of a giveaway at this point.

Seriously, everyone knows that I'm Solais, from either a Hungary related sig, or my Sanae x Daiyosei craze or from the "Moriya Shrine Inc.". Not that I change my name a lot.

Also, I knew a boy who had the same last and first name as me.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 02:57:51 AM »
Seriously, everyone knows that I'm Solais, from either a Hungary related sig, or my Sanae x Daiyosei craze or from the "Moriya Shrine Inc.". Not that I change my name a lot.
I don't think I'd know who you were 'less I looked in your profile.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 06:01:57 AM »
Boom roasted

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
Recently, I've decided that it's not helping since I am so transient with my names all the time, so I always put my normal nick somewhere to the side:

<----- over there?

You know, so you know it's me! Maybe, people should do that? I don't know~

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
I make it obvious that it's me being I hardly change my sig or personal text and my name has "Erebus" somewhere in it.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
It's just like real life. How many time have you run into people with the same name, sometimes even in the same group of friends?
I am actually getting sick of having to specify people by last name around friends.
Mostly because I have a roommate and a crush sharing a first name.  It's mildly irritating.

Also the namechanging slightly bugs me, but in many cases it still feels somehow possible to follow who they are (A lot of them are nice enough to leave half of their name merged in somewhere), and admittedly it's become something I enjoy seeing on this forum because this is one corner of the internet where this kind of crazy shit actually -does- fly.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
To be fair, it's better than the alternative of making a new account entirely whenever you want to play around with your displayed name, which I HAVE seen and only manages to be even more confusing and difficult to follow.

Having the original-nick identifier available in the profile is enough for general use, and having the feature is validly amusing, but it CAN be confusing when people change very often... you could forcibly fix the problem by adding restrictions to how often you can change your displayed name, but I don't think it's a big enough issue for that.

Or maybe go with Trance's solution and have "original nick" as a displayed field in the side profile? Then again, I know there are some people that have started going by different names than what they were originally registered as (like Moerin and Suikama), so forcing that isn't perfect, either.

Or maybe "previous used name?" That's easier to mask intentionally, granted, and gets accidentally wiped if you typo and have to re-rename yourself, but... that'd probably work best if you want to push it into the main post profile, without being an enormous hassle. Probably.
There was something here once. Wonder what...