Author Topic: Your "In the zone" moments.  (Read 5782 times)

NLTM

• Fuck You Marisa
  • I mean, Fuck.
Your "In the zone" moments.
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
You know, those times of panic where everything seems to dissappear except you and the game.

It seems when it comes to Touhou, I work best under pressure. Once, in SA, I completely fell apart at Parsee, and went into Stage 4 with one life and no bombs. Somehow, I made it past Yuugi, capturing all of her cards, (something I haven't done since) and eventually made it to Orin before finally dying.

Doesn't seem like much, but almost 3 stages in 1 or 2 lives for someone like me who sucks is pretty neat.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: Your "In the zone" moments.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
I don't think I've had any moments like that in Touhou, but I've had plenty overall. My best danmaku-related one was with Castle Shikigami 3 (very similar to Touhou in terms of style, but more focused on grazing and less on pretty patterns), where I made it to the final stage with only one extra life yet managed to beat it - and I had only seen the stage once before (and gameovered halfway through it). I was only on the middle difficulty though, so it's not too much of an accomplishment. I've also had some "zen moments" with Mega Man games where I go through entire stages with no mistakes at all, though that's usually followed by completely sucking in the stage after.
(Also, Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League is just one giant zen moment for me now. I don't even have to think; my hands just kinda move on their own and get really high scores.)

Drake

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
Tetris Attack is mostly about getting blocks into chaining positions without having to think about them.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Toasty

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
Just recently, I struggled through SA up to stage 4, going through several continues, but when I finally got to Satori, I just blew through her. Without dying even once (ReimuA).

Sure, I failed to get even midway through stage 5 after that, but the Satori fight was pretty fun.

Earthsiege

• Rational Anarchist
  • The balance of power MUST be preserved.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »
SA is good at doing this, it seems. First and only time I beat Utsuho I didn't even notice I was practically sweating till I took my hands off the keyboard.
http://pastebin.com/DzbzqF0k - LoT2 reference list. If anyone catches anything, drop me a line.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »
I always seem to have moments like those when I'm about to finish a 1cc in something I've never done before.

Like in my first Hard PCB 1cc, I almost captured Yuyuko's last nonsurvival spell, but I died as she was exploding (dammit, ZUN, give us invulnerability like IN).

And then I proceeded to capture 50%, having never seen it before.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
dammit zun travel into the past and give us stuff in a game you hadn't thought about until after releasing the next one

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
My 1cc of PCB Extra. The first handful of times I reached her, I died to Ultimate Buddhist since I didn't have the first clue how to handle it, every single time. Then right after that, I 1cc'd with two lives and two bombs to spare. I watched the replay, and by god, it actually looked like I had known what I was doing! How the hell did that happen ???

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:21:05 PM »
My first ever 1CC MoF Normal was totally by accident; I died miserably on Aya and made it to Sanae with nothing in stock. Somehow managed to ration my lives and bombs all the way through Kanako.

My first PCB Extra was this way too; except now I'm in the zone every time I do it, regardless. I still get tingles just thinking about it.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
This, this, a million times this. There were others, but none as memorable as that.
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:58:36 PM »
Too many to count, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most was my very first hard 1cc wtih Reimu solo for IN. I was so absorbed in Hourai Jewel my hands were shaking violently after I timed it out.

Skill-wise, I guess you could say my first UFO lunatic 1cc considering I had only ever done a full-game run to unlock stage practice before that.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »
My first run of PCB ever. I'll quote paraphrase Baity here.

'I'll never understand how you go into Stage 5 with 2 lives and 0 bombs and make it ALL THE WAY TO YUYUKO.'

Ofcourse, Butterbitch kicked my ass, But damn if that wasn't one hell of a starting run. (Incidentally I've never topped that feat.)

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 01:46:46 AM »
Interestingly I seem to perform better if I only pay, say, 80% attention to Touhou.  My first PCB 1cc was done at school while holding conversations with a few people with no sound, and recently did a second clear of IN Extra while holding an IM conversation in another window.

Getting in the zone or deep concentration just makes me play sorta good for a while, then as soon as I die I let out a screeching barrage of swears that would make a holy man implode as soon as my focus is broken.

My first ever 1CC MoF Normal was totally by accident;
Me too, but it was more of a "Oh hey MoF, I haven't played that much"  *plays*  "Wait I'm on stage 6 already?  Dang."  *wins*  "...Huh."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 01:58:32 AM »
For me, I'm just randomly in this "zone" when I start playing immediately. I'll try to 1CC a lunatic, and I'll pass the first 3 stages without using a single bomb, pass stage 4 while using some, but no deaths. Then inevitably, almost every fugging time... I have to pause and leave the computer for a length of time. like an hour or more. When I come back....yeah.. It's a real sad tragic story.

raak

• Add something nice about me here.
  • Catchphrase(word): Anyways...
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:12 AM »
I'm normally pretty consistent with how I play Touhou. Hell, probably play worst when under a lot of pressure.

But I guess I can identify a few:

-Recently, both while broadcasting live in livestream, was playing PCB with SakuyaA. I was fighting Yukari and I've been doing pretty bad. However, I managed to get to Boundary of Life and Death and with luck manage to find the safespot in the attack. Otherwise, I would had done pretty badly. After that, I proceeded to kick Yukari's ass.
-Also on the stream, I practically learned how to do Kaguya's last spell (the jewel of Hourai one) while playing. I think the game was either on Hard or Lunatic.
-Let's just say that when I post in my youtube account the UFO Lunatic 1cc, the ending will be beyond epic. Or at least will leave a few at the edge of their chairs.

Go Pikachu

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 02:44:04 AM »
I was just in the zone when perfecting SA Stage 6 Lunatic. It's rare for me to get past Peta Flare without dying beforehand, so I always seem to pay more attention to the rest when I do make it that far.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

IBakaChan

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 01:57:19 PM »
MoF Stage 6 easy.

I was on her last spell card, started with 2 lives, died twice, bombed until my power was at 0.00...
Then it felt like I entered "the zone", cuz I forgot about my headache, and didn't notice that it was Suwakos theme on my playlist until after.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
Perfect EoSD stage 5 and UFO stage 5 and 6 in less than 3 hours?

I don't think I'll ever be more "in the zone" than back then.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
Beating Gengetsu's "Gengetsu Rape Time" attack with only a suicide death was definitely one of my "in the zone" moments, as was my 1LC of HRtP's Jigoku Normal route. Those two are the major events for me, personally, where I could consider myself truly "in the zone" when I play Touhou. No other Touhou experiences can compare, though I've had a bunch in other shmups, such as Banshiryuu (C74) Extra.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 04:56:29 AM »
That time I finally managed to beat EoSD Extra. I completely perfected And Then There Will Be None? and went on to get through QED with only 3 bombs. When I managed that my hands were drenched in sweat and my heart was racing.

Might I mention that this was with ReimuA?

atoms2ashes

• I am lame, and I shall not be forced to become otherwise.
  • Fresco makes everything better.
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 05:07:27 AM »
My only "In the Zone" moment was when I reached Alice's second card.

I was playing as MariB.

Yes, I suck. And yes, it was on Easy Mode.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 05:42:36 AM »
You could call this an "almost in the zone" day. In the past twelve hours, I have:

Beaten Murasa with only one mistake.

Beaten Shou with only one mistake and beat UFO stage 5 no deaths while I was at it.

Came close to pulling off a no deaths clear of UFO stage 6 that doesn't make me cringe like my first one.

1cc'd EoSD lunatic twice, one of which is the best run I've ever done...but I played on max lives, which makes it look really cheap to me even if the run would be my best ever even without the extra lives.

Beaten Kogasa with only one mistake.

Captured Hourai Jewel and all of Kaguya's last spell rush in a single run.

So out of all this, only one accomplishment actually perfected anything.

:getdown:

Spoiler:
Yes yes I'm aware most people would kill to be able to do this, I'm sorry for being an ungrateful prick.
[/sub]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:54:07 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »
Spoiler:
Yes yes I'm aware most people would kill to be able to do this, I'm sorry for being an ungrateful prick.
[/sub]
Lies. And deceit. Mostly lies.
Spoiler:
Well, maybe  >_>;

That said, "In The Groove Zone" moments do not exist for me. The only thing that comes remotely close is DS 7-7 scoring... I think. Or, the moments only lasted for 2 minutes such that I simply don't care about and / or were too insignificant. Your pick.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
A lot of times, I'll be trying to 1CC UFO Normal (yeah, still haven't done that. >.> ) to the point where the sun will go down, the room will become pitch-black, and I won't notice until I've given up on Shou kicking my a** through Makai.

That, and I can't count the number of times I've burnt/overcooked food left on the stove.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »
I just captured Murasa's 3rd non-spell.
I had no method going in and no bombs for what, for me, is an auto-bomb attack.
I somehow dodged everything by reflex.

Pity I can't do that more often.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

COOL TEXAS COWBOY

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »
I was in the red zone

oh wait

You mean "the zone"

What.

Matsuri

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Please don't bump old topics if you don't have anything relevant to say about the topic in question. Locked.