Author Topic: Why is it Touhou and Hard go hand in hand?  (Read 40219 times)

Treasurance

• Now with 100% more Ban'd!
Re: Why is it Touhou and Hard go hand in hand?
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
Well, what if I don't want to play for score, just survival? Cave's early games are just annoying that way (''DAMN I PRESSED THE BOMB BUTTON WHY DIDN'T IT WORK-ragequit''), whilst Touhou is more friendly to survival players (but clipping with 3 bombs still leads in ragequit, and then there's UFO).
But some days you just can't use a bomb, and that's when Autobomb is the savior of the day.
Radiant Silvergun's Arcade mode requires you to level up weapons to even defeat bosses in time, and levels come from score, and scoring requires you to memorize practically everything...but then there's Saturn mode that allows you to save weapon levels.
The only game where I really enjoy scoring in is...Bangai-O Spirits. Yes.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
Well, what if I don't want to play for score, just survival? Cave's early games are just annoying that way (''DAMN I PRESSED THE BOMB BUTTON WHY DIDN'T IT WORK-ragequit''), whilst Touhou is more friendly to survival players (but clipping with 3 bombs still leads in ragequit, and then there's UFO).

[stuff about RSG]

The point is, Treasurance, when you play Touhou for score, it can get infuriating in similar ways to playing CAVE games in general, so basically most of the points you've stated are a plain bias in favour of Touhou. As a former PC-98 score-runner, and having 1cc'd a fair number of CAVE shmups under my belt, I can tell you for certain that they both are infuriating in their own ways. In fact, Touhou is only more friendly to survival players because in comparison to CAVE shooters - which I may remind you are arcade shooters in nature - it vomits out resources for you and has more leeway for screwing up compared to such arcade shooters - designed to eat your money at the arcades (and I have played the ARC cabinets in Japan, I probably spent thousands of yen on them).

shadowbringer brings up (pun unintended) a very good point with regards to ARC shmups vs. doujin shmups. For example, let me use Guwange, a CAVE shmup that is extremely hit or miss with the shmup community, due to its gimmicky features (Shikigami and lifebar) as well as its walking and scrolling mechanics. It may seem crap on surface level, but as I spent time and effort learning the game and ending up ENJOYING what I initially thought was ballsy, I learned that there are only a few doujin shmups that can match this sort of thing.  I am not necessarily dismissing the quality of doujin shmups, or doujin games in general at all; however, I do want to stress that it is unfounded to call such games "crap" for reasons that may also be applicable to the same kind of games made in the doujin scene.

So now, let me actually try and link this entire discussion to the topic on hand - Why, exactly, do Touhou and "hard" go hand-in-hand? The thing is, they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand... It just happens. Difficulty is subjective, as was mentioned sometime earlier in the topic. VgameT states that "Touhou is a shmup and shmups are generally hard, therefore Touhou is hard" which is actually a fairly logical line of thinking. Shmups generally ARE hard. I can't think of the last easy shmup I played, except maybe an early Raiden game - I did 1cc Raiden DX when I was 8. Even some of the R-Type games are pretty damn difficult in their own rights. R-Type Delta was one of the first shmups I played seriously as a kid before I ran off to Japan and discovered CAVE and man, that was freaking hard. Shmups are a difficult piece of work to overcome, and require practice, time, and effort. No doubt that Touhou would inadvertedly end up tough as well, at points, in all of the games. I have not certainly played the Windows Touhou games, so I cannot state my proper, well-informed opinion on it but I do know from PC-98 that the current generation of Touhou games can be extremely difficult - I know I had a hard time when I tried Double Spoiler.

But what does this all culminate to? So far, all I have been seeing recently is no direct development to the discussion, but people instead talking CAVE vs. whatever shmup and a guy who seems to worship Treasure. However, I want to stress that this topic is about WHY Touhou (and by extension its fangames) is difficult, not whether CAVE shmups suck or whether your opinion is wrong or right!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Why does Touhou = hard
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
I think he can be forgiven for not understanding the actual topic, seeing how often CAVE is being shouted about in this thread as the best thing ever.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Treasurance

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
Didn't I mention ''Isn't this going a little off topic?'' at the end of one of my posts?

Bananamatic got this thread a little sidetracked, it seems. (Or did he make me to do it...?)

Okay, I don't want to get involved with arcade shmups anymore. They are too Serious Business. (oh noes, now someone goes to prove me wrong again.)

Okay. Understood. I'll stop screwing with this thread.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
Okay, I don't want to get involved with arcade shmups anymore. They are too Serious Business. (oh noes, now someone goes to prove me wrong again.)

Okay. Understood. I'll stop screwing with this thread.

Eh, people can get quite defensive when you state your opinion without any visible attempt at explaining why you have those thoughts...

But that's for another time. I don't think anyone here wanted to personally affront you or anything. :S

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
But some days you just can't use a bomb, and that's when Autobomb is the savior of the day.
Radiant Silvergun's Arcade mode requires you to level up weapons to even defeat bosses in time, and levels come from score, and scoring requires you to memorize practically everything...but then there's Saturn mode that allows you to save weapon levels.
The only game where I really enjoy scoring in is...Bangai-O Spirits. Yes.

I think that in most cases, bombing in Cave games is bad for score, making you trade scoring potential for survival potential. So, if you can play for score or look forward to doing so, you have at least as much conditions to do the same or better for survival.

like I said, many other shmups (not limited to those made by Cave) won't give counterbomb times. While Touhou is generous in giving more extends and bombs than most stgs and do give counterbomb times (especially in IN), I'd recommend you to consider getting used with no counterbomb times as an exercise in foresight and control over the game (you may bomb if you lose control over the situation, or if/when you don't want to risk losing a life against a particular stage section or boss attack pattern). Then, when you play Touhou again, you'll see yourself using less bombs, yet more effectively than before, because (among other possible factors) you've become more experienced with difficult situations, may've worked your way around them to conserve bombs and learned to recognize more situations in which to use bombs or not. Personally, I think that it's just a matter of practice to get used with no counterbomb times (though it may take more time for someone to lose his/her refusal to spend bombs, if he/she has a mental restriction against it), and once you get used with this, you may enjoy the games more, and may ask yourself, "how far will I be able to get this time?", "what should I do against that particular stage section or that one boss pattern? Which is better, to spend a bomb there, or do they have easier ways around?"

(last, but not least, you may want to try this. There are lots of people who notice improvement in MAME's response by using it. This should end my contribution attempt with regards to lack of counterbomb times :p )

I haven't played RSG, so I can't comment on the survival.. however I don't think that the game would force scoreplay entirely, if it has the same philosophy of Ikaruga, regarding survival and scoreplay (where you don't have to chain, eat lots of bullets to survive the game and kill bosses as fast as you can) -- not regarding scoring mechanics :p   (I can't comment on Bangai-O Spirits' scoring system, interesting ones are always welcome. I should do some research about it.)

I think he can be forgiven for not understanding the actual topic, seeing how often CAVE is being shouted about in this thread as the best thing ever.

for my part, I'm happy that I'm able to enjoy non-Cave shmups (even odd pieces such as Thunder Dragon 2, Varth, X-Multiply, AeroStar..). Perhaps Ghaleon mentioned Cave because it's become popular enough to be a possible comparison reference (since lots of people at least know how a Cave shmup looks like) for arcade bullet-hells, and/or difficulty.

As for my Touhou ranting, I'm mainly not fond of its grazing, probably because you (or myself only) can't feel enough rewards for risking yourself each time you graze (I could say the same about Strikers 1945's.. gold... bars... *contained rage from how distracting it is to try to collect them when they're shining completely*), even though these rewards should pay off in the long run, and that the grazing rewards consistency (rather than being a chain, like in Shuusou Gyoku. How ironic that grazing is a bit funnier in SSG, because you can see how much points you earned after a grazing chain ends, and SSG doesn't emphasize graze count alone, but the graze chain gauge is as much important -- plus, you don't graze while having invincibility time, and even in games where this is possible, you have Psyvariar, where point-blank grazing isn't apparently a viable option). There's more to say about the way grazing is implemented in Touhou (I'd say about restrictiveness and how grazing feels like a chore, for how risky it is, and about point-blank grazing -- which requires execution and memorization, and is used during stages and bosses. One or few pixels off, and you don't graze as much or collide with the boss if you're not using invincibility time like against both midboss Sakuyas in EoSD, "forcing" a restart; mismemorizing when/where to perform it, and you miss that opportunity). But I should state that I don't dislike the series, but the mechanics for most of the Touhou shmups. (meanwhile, I don't see point-blank grazing being used in LLS/MS)

about the topic itself, I don't know the answer. Perhaps the fan developers would like the Touhou series to be remembered for its difficulty or characters (Touhou Soccer), or they would like to see (or let others see) how a cross-overed game looks like with bullet-hell (Super Marisa World/MegaMari/Master Burner Climax/TouhouVania. I heard that there's a Touhou Qix somewhere, too..), or they could see an analogy regarding the Touhou characters and thought that it would be fun to share that view? Or they've thought of an interesting gameplay and how well some Touhou characters fit on it? (Scarlet Meister/Vampirish Night/PatchCon/Mystical Chain)

Putting difficulty aside, I think that some Touhou fangames do work towards giving a good visual display (read: danmaku). This is probably significant to ZUN as well, seeming that he likes doing this in his games. And if there's a series which allow people to try (not saying that this is the only one) making difficult games and/or include bullet-hell on it and have cute characters on them, it's Touhou. (ironically, even ZUN is worried that people are focusing too much on doing Touhou fanworks, which may mean less work on other games, less diversity)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Tengukami

Why Touhou= Hard
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
I'm just lamenting the fact that just like in many other threads, someone asks a Touhou question or makes a Touhou comment, and the thread gets inundated with talk about how CAVE is awesome, Touhou sucks, and the point of the thread is ignored. It's tiresome.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Treasurance

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
I should think twice when posting on forums...but anyways. Still not had enough? Ok, let's discuss why Cave is overrated crap (not really) and Treasure is awesome. Let's forget Touhou, it's not like it would be the topic of this thread.

Okay. Back on track. What about the difficulty in Shoot the Bullet/Double Spoiler? Although it ramps up quickly and is relatively high, all of the scenes are separate challenges and reattempts are quick.
I love this kind of structure in games. Many small but intensive challenges that can be done in relatively free order.
Bangai-O Spirits has this kind of structure, too. All 167 are stages available right from start and can be done in any order...Oops, my Treasure fandom is not unclear, right?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: Why Touhou= Hard
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I'm just lamenting the fact that just like in many other threads, someone asks a Touhou question or makes a Touhou comment, and the thread gets inundated with talk about how CAVE is awesome, Touhou sucks, and the point of the thread is ignored. It's tiresome.
Aside from a couple of posts, I'm not really seeing things like 'CAVE is awesome, Touhou sucks' - it's a little off topic, but in general good, intelligent points are being made (Trance's and shadowbringer's to name a few), and shmup difficulty and how to cope with it seems like a pretty natural place for the original topic to lead into. Admittedly, all the CAVE versus Touhou arguments are starting to get grating even aside from going off-topic, but it's very difficult not to get defensive and make counterpoints when something you enjoy is labelled as being bad without any coherent reasons or justification given. I myself had a pretty tough time stopping from replying to a lot of posts for fear of derailing things even further. :/
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Why Touhou= Hard
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

I can agree to some extent, but I think you're being a bit over-sensative here. I personally enjoy both, with Touhou being better for me due to it's extracuricular goodies like the fangames and music. But only 1 or 2 people really showed favor to cave, and in shadowbrimgers case I wouldn't even call it favor. As good as touhou is it's not perfect, and he merely mentions that there is more to touhou vs cave than extend count and stage quality. It truly is pretty narrow minded to completely ignore scoring mechanics, so I'm glad he pointed it out.

And the topic wasn't ignored... Arghgghghargh!!!  =(

Tengukami

Why Touhou = hard
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
I'm not 'sensitive' to people liking Cave. I find it disruptive when Touhou topics get hijacked into a pissing contest between the two, and the OP - if it isn't ignored - is responded to as an afterthought.

Treasurance

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Okay. Now that everything's clear, could someone lock this thread? I think the question of this thread has been answered well enough...well, what do I know.
Or if it's not, start a new thread and somehow block me and Bananamatic from posting in it.

What about a new rule: mentioning ''Cave'' results in instant ban.

Somebody tell me to STFUGTFO please....

Tengukami

Why Touhou = hard
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
Whoah, I'm not sayin' all that, Treas. Let's not freak out. I'm just asking for a little more, uh, focus in  Touhou threads.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
What about a new rule: mentioning ''Cave'' results in instant ban.

Somebody tell me to STFUGTFO please....

That just sounds petty and you're just trying to push some buttons in making such a bold statement D=

I mean, I don't think anyone here was intentionally TRYING to start a CAVE thing or anything, it just sort of happened. People here are very passionate about what they like (to the extent that they begin to fellate the games or whatever) and it can result in unnecessary banter.

I'm not 'sensitive' to people liking Cave. I find it disruptive when Touhou topics get hijacked into a pissing contest between the two, and the OP - if it isn't ignored - is responded to as an afterthought.

It IS disruptive when it actually happens, yes. But some of us see what transpired here differently. YES, it is true that it caused a topic derail. YES, it is true that it is out of place. It is NOT true that a "pissing contest" was trying to be swept up. And an afterthought? I have been trying in most of my posts to address the topic onhand, with your so-called accusation of  "pissing contest" as my afterthought - only mentioning it first because Treasurance's presentation of his ideas was highly grating

EDIT: Hmm, you know, I'm just really tired and this is all just a little eh for my tastes and I'm taking things a little too personal. I personally don't see what I did as a way of fuelling bad stuff, but. Apparently it is so yeah. :S?

Tengukami

Why Touhou = hard
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
I didn't lay the blame on any one person or fanbase. It takes two to argue. Just asking that we try and avoid these tiresome bickerings.

Treasurance

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
And now it has come to this point. Yeah, I screwed up and everything I do or say is wrong, this too. It is true that I didn't explain my opinions almost at all. But isn't it too late now?

But this is the internet. There Is Always Someone More Clever Than You And You'll Totally Get To Know That. I should have stopped this already, but I couldn't resist to fail.

Now this is getting sidetracked even more. And I bet Bananamatic is watching this and laughing.

Derp. Using this move left me unable to do anything for two turns.
EDIT: And looks like I used entirely wrong move.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:02:22 PM by Treasurance »

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
SERIOUSLY THIS THING NEEDS TO GO BACK ON TRACK

Touhou and Hard go hand in hand because that is the shmup genre. Also, the holy shit factor and the fact that Zun is *usually* drunk when making these games.

Also, for any future arguments: Memorization = Skill.
Quote from: Treasurance link=topic=6267.msg355776#msg355776   date=1275926266
  And I bet Bananamatic is   watching this and laughing.

I know I am. loling right now.
Seriously, though. Quit beating yourself up over this kind of thing.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Tengukami

Why Touhou = hard
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »
Yeah, no one committed a war crime here. It's all good.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Scarlet Meister challenging. I mean come on.

Treasurance

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »
I already said it, lock this thread and start a new one. I want to forget the crap I've been saying. Haha! Go on, Bananamatic! You're the master of manipulating people (me) without even being aware of it!

Tengukami

Why Touhou = hard
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
If you want to forget it, just stop posting and don't read the thread maybe? Kinda hard for others to move on if you keep talking about your embarrasment.

Treasurance

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
Okay. This...should be the last one. But you're still going remember me for this fiasco. Better not to think anymore 'bout it.

Last words:
how the hell is double spoiler supposed to be hard

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
Okay. This...should be the last one. But you're still going remember me for this fiasco. Better not to think anymore 'bout it.

Last words:
First: Nobody cares. It's the internet. Similar to how in High Schools, nobody cares who is prom queen after like a day or two.

Second: What?

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »
Last words:

at least for scoring, you're going to retry a lot. Not as much for survival, though..

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8039

(the above link is what I'm usually using when mentioning the last time I tried playing DS for score. I think I heard about this particular scene giving 2.5~3 million points, I wanted to see for myself, thought that I could try to do something better, and never did it. Getting all the explosions seem to give me a better score -- unless someone else can find a way to score better without doing so --, but it's really difficult to do. Not like I won't touch this game again, ever. Even though there are more scenes which are made much more difficult if you try to score.)

That said, congratulations to those who do enjoy the Touhou shmups and have put so much effort to achieve such high scores.

Also, for any future arguments: Memorization = Skill.

Memorization can make a game inflexible if it's overdone, that, combined with mistakes (restarts, either by memorization mistakes or wrong execution or something else going wrong in your run like you dying unexpectedly early in the game), help make a game look boring, as you're being told "you must hug this larger fairy, wait until she has fired her spiraling streams which you can graze, and hope that you're not hit on the way by the other fairies or the falling rocks" instead of being told something like "you must maintain your chaining gauge; there's these fairies and spirits which you can use to chain bullets as well. They don't come in a definite order, and there may be a boss/Lily White/Lily Black on your way"

(Memorization can make even Phantasm Romance 2.5 Plus a bit boring if you try to set up multiples of 250 graze for cancelling bullets -- for example, both of Aya's nonspells)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.