Author Topic: Why is it Touhou and Hard go hand in hand?  (Read 39926 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: Why is it Touhou and Hard go hand in hand?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
I'd be turned on by it if the fun part only didn't last 10 seconds :V
Shoot till the fun starts. Then time it out.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Drake

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
Then at 30 seconds it gets even more fun!

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
I remember thinking this way. The first gameplay video of Touhou I saw was of Flandre and I thought to myself "That looks freaking hard. No way I could ever do that."

And now I done did it. :3

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
Whoever said difficulty is subjective ended this thread a while ago, so... Yeah.

If people aren't immediately turned on by a picture of BoLaD then I would put into question why they might be playing bullet hells in the first place.

O bby, I loves me dem shmups

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »
I don't think I ever was scared off by the difficulty. All the really hard videos and screenshots were from the highest difficulty, so I thought to myself "this game has a mode that's really hard" rather than "this game is really hard." And honestly, Easy mode (in most cases) is easy enough for new players to do decent on - one of my friends who has never played a shmup before in his life managed to 1cc IN easy (Final B) on the third try. He also managed to get up to stage 3 on SA lunatic with no continues just through repetition.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
There are many reasons, most, if not all already specified.

1: Shmups, by nature, are generally harder than other games
2: Non-localized Japanese games, by nature, are generally harder than non-Japanese games
3: Doujin games, tend to be harder than non-doujin games. I like to think of it because doujin producers KNOW that only hardcore gamers and niche fans buy their products, and everyone knows hardcore gamers hate how easy most games are in this day and age.

About Touhou being easy compared to every other shmup, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The danmaku dodging in it is NOT much easier IMO, it's just the super generous extend count+bomb count+deathbomb timer, powerup supply, etc makes it easier. I rekon someone who can beat any cave shmup with a few deaths still has a few deaths in a Touhou game (on lunatic) as well. Honestly if you dislike a game simply because it says "game over" 6 deaths later than another game which does after 3, you seriously need help. >=P...Though I still think the stages (non boss portions) themselves are pretty easy for the most part.

Bananamatic

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
Touhou patterns are...different.
They have so many features which are hard to find out(Brilliant Dragon Bullet lasers are aimed away from you), some pretty much require tricks(Life Spring Infinity) and some require memorization(Hourai Jewel)
It's more tricks and figuring out and less "here's a pattern, dodge this shit"

Now guess which path I went for in my 1cc :V

Touhou can be really hard on Lunatic if you try to play it as a normal shmup, but once you figure out the tricks, it's hardly difficult.

Mainly noticed me vs Enigma - while I ended IN lunatic 0/0 through repetitive bruteforcing, he had only 2 misses through the entire game after putting some effort into it. I don't see myself doing that.

On the other hand, I find Dodonpachi rather easy to 1cc while he finds it bullshit.

Twitch dodging/sightread vs effort and memorization. Both are skills, and each game requires a different one.
You could say that Touhou difficulty is adjusted by the other things you do to play better other than pure dodging.
But seeing how I put zero practice and repetitive effort into shmups, I can't chain DDP for shit :V

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »
Also Yukari in Megamari oh what the hell is this

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Yukari is the only boss in MegaMari I can't buster duel.  Too much invincibility time, too easy to get gapped to death.

Other than that, I never thought MegaMari was any more difficult than regular Mega Man games, and official Touhou games aren't any more difficult than your average shmup.  As said before, it's just something that comes with the genre, and it's really more likely that people just aren't accustomed to the genre than that the genre is actually difficult, and difficulty is indeed subjective anyway.

Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 01:48:32 AM »
Yukari is the only boss in MegaMari I can't buster duel.  Too much invincibility time, too easy to get gapped to death.
This is basically how I feel about Flying Insect's Nest in SWR's story mode :V 
Spoiler:
I've probably been doing it wrong.

Other than that, I never thought MegaMari was any more difficult than regular Mega Man games
That probably depends on which Mega Man games you've played.  I never touched them until the X series, and going from those to the original series is a rather rough transition (I missed dashing ;_;). 
Spoiler:
Unless you meant the first seven NES games by "regular Mega Man games".
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

NEET

• YUKUURISHATENEH
  • mokotanmokotanmokotan
    • Flowering Moon
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
Touhou is only harder for me than other shmups because I get distracted by the pretty colours and pattterns XD; and music

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
Well, Guwange has this system which makes you die on the 3rd hit or so, but there is no invincibility, so run into a bullet wall and you are instantly dead.
I don't really like it either...I probably like even Touhou more. :V
Still, it's Guwang.

I know the system, I've 1cc'd Guwange before :V The bullet wall is why your shikigami exists  :derp:

Touhou is only harder for me than other shmups because I get distracted by the pretty colours and pattterns XD; and music

Somehow... I'm not surprised. Though some people I know use the music to their advantage rather than sit there going "ooooh look at the pretty lights!" and then *PICHUUUN*

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Argol228

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »
I am not completely new to Shmups. but I guess I do have more experiance with the Nintendo era games like Ninja gaiden and castlevania. The difficulty in super Marisa may be a product of me not expecting it to be hard early on. Mario games tend to get hard on the last world. regardless I am not going to let a few defeats scare me away, I will practice.

Oh and Ghaleon, hardcore gamers to me means the "I only play FPS games with the best graphics" kind of gamers. I like to think of myself as a true gamer. I play all types of games and started in the NES/SNES era of gaming so Graphics is not an issue.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:50:37 AM by Argol228 »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 03:14:45 AM »
I am not completely new to Shmups. but I guess I do have more experiance with the Nintendo era games like Ninja gaiden and castlevania. The difficulty in super Marisa may be a product of me not expecting it to be hard early on. Mario games tend to get hard on the last world. regardless I am not going to let a few defeats scare me away, I will practice.

Oh and Ghaleon, hardcore gamers to me means the "I only play FPS games with the best graphics" kind of gamers. I like to think of myself as a true gamer. I play all types of games and started in the NES/SNES era of gaming so Graphics is not an issue.

To me a hardcore gamer is simply someone who plays games so much that it can pretty much be labelled a profession, which isn't limited to one or two games. If you're nothing but a counterstrike junkie, I'd say counterstrike junkie, not hardcore gamer >=). That's my definition. so in this thread, when I speak of hardcore gamers, I mean people who have played games for years, and continue to do so, and probably will for years to come, for a significant portion of their free time.

People who only play the most recent and "hip" games are hardly hardcore by any definition IMO. They may put a hardcore amount of hours into a game for awhile, but it rarely lasts, and if it does, they probably end up becomming a "that game" junkie >=)

raak

• Add something nice about me here.
  • Catchphrase(word): Anyways...
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 03:56:34 AM »
I personally believe that objectively speaking, Touhou based games do tend to be hard. I know it is a matter of opinion, but I feel like there is a certain amount of "difficulty" a game possesses. Otherwise, games like Contra and Ninja Gaiden wouldn't be considered globally hard whereas the opposite applies to Kirby, which is widely considered easy.

When I first saw Touhou, I also thought that I wouldn't be able to 1cc it. When I played it, I thought I would never be good enough to beat Mokou (IN was my first game). And the more I played, the more I came to realize that a 1cc Lunatic was a dream. Right now I had beaten all Window Ex-bosses, Pacifist three of them, done four Lunatics 1cc, and one of the other two I haven't even tried, but I'm confident I can do it with a few practice run. The important word being confident. Do I find Touhou games easy? Yeah. Are they hard? Yes they are. But I had played them so much that I've gotten good at them and even cocky about it (although I'm pretty cocky at any game that isn't sports or FPS multiplayer).

If you ask me if I personally think Touhou is hard, chances are I will tell you yes, but in reality I find it easy, for me. But I will say hard because objectively speaking, it is harder than the average game. If I compare it with I Wanna be the Guy, I would say the latter is harder.

If I compare it with RKS (to pick another indie game from the few I had played) and compare it with MegaMari, I would say RKS is easier. Even tough both are Mega Man clones, and despite RKS's heroines' hitbox being larger, MegaMari is harder for the next reasons, IMO:
- The bullets in MMari follows the quantity and complexity of danmaku. In RKS the bullet are fewer and straightforward. Thus, MMari enemies are generally harder to dodge or at least require more awareness of the surrounding. 
- RKS gives you more movement resources... just one, but a really helpful one: sliding. Not only the bullets were more straightforward and less numerous, they were easier to dodge. And if you
(SPOILER)

played as Grolla rather than Tia

(END SPOILER)
your dodging options rose greatly due to being able to use Zero in a game meant for Mega Man (not X). Switching between Marisa and Alice doesn't really give you so much options.

I had never beaten MMari but I had beaten RKS at least 4 times. Both are great games and I personally find MegaMari harder. But I also believe that objectively speaking, it is harder for several reasons. And that's my take on the subject.

Go Pikachu

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:48 AM »
There are many reasons, most, if not all already specified.

1: Shmups, by nature, are generally harder than other games
2: Non-localized Japanese games, by nature, are generally harder than non-Japanese games
3: Doujin games, tend to be harder than non-doujin games. I like to think of it because doujin producers KNOW that only hardcore gamers and niche fans buy their products, and everyone knows hardcore gamers hate how easy most games are in this day and age.

About Touhou being easy compared to every other shmup, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The danmaku dodging in it is NOT much easier IMO, it's just the super generous extend count+bomb count+deathbomb timer, powerup supply, etc makes it easier. I rekon someone who can beat any cave shmup with a few deaths still has a few deaths in a Touhou game (on lunatic) as well. Honestly if you dislike a game simply because it says "game over" 6 deaths later than another game which does after 3, you seriously need help. >=P...Though I still think the stages (non boss portions) themselves are pretty easy for the most part.

about #3, I think that the doujin shmup developers like the genre, and would try to make something that they like, rather than try to make them more difficult than arcade shmups. ZUN himself has said that there's freedom into the doujin scene, to make games without worrying too much about how well your game will sell, or something like this.

about Touhou being easy compared to every other shmup.. there are easier shmups too :p
The difficulty, while subjective, doesn't reside in Touhou being a bullet-hell. There are complaints from shmup players about this series, not all of them are about Touhou being easy but about things such as the gameplay (unremarkable stages, bosses taking most of the stages' play time, less need to move around the screen rather than dodging some few pixels and watch bullets fly by your side, slow bullets for the most part -- it would be difficult for arcade shmups to have pretty patterns with fast bullets, and pretty patterns don't necessarily mean effective ones or fun ones to dodge through. Personally, I enjoy scoring more on other games.)

>> I rekon someone who can beat any cave shmup with a few deaths still has a few deaths in a Touhou game (on lunatic) as well.

any info about this guy? I think that, when learning a new game ( such as playing Touhou for the first times to learn it ), dying is part of the learning process, not everything in Touhou is reaction-based (and that applies to arcade shmups as well). The notion that dying in Touhou means that the game/series is difficult is.. relative.

>> Honestly if you dislike a game simply because it says "game over" 6 deaths later than another game which does after 3, you seriously need help. >=P

personally I don't enjoy grazing, especially in Touhou :(  (however there are few moments where I do, in Shikigami no Shiro 3 and Raiden Fighters Jet, because I'm not required to dodge as many bullets as possible). I don't enjoy MoF much, too, because the faith counter will often drop, and that will frustrate me ( even if I don't die ) because I tried to play MoF by using my instinct, rather than memorization.

I do like HRtP, LLS and PoFV (and PoDD, too), though. May enjoy MS if I learn its scoring system, too.

>> ...Though I still think the stages (non boss portions) themselves are pretty easy for the most part.

I just wish that I could memorize Touhou stages as well as in arcade shmups.. as I believe I've said elsewhere, the enemies aren't diverse enough in Touhou, and the background can't be used as a reference to help you remember what to do in advance. ( also, my execution isn't precise enough )
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »
I can respect people preferring other shmups for various reasons. Scoring mechanics, bland stages, etc are good legitimate complaints with Touhou. But the fact is there are a great deal of people who are like "hurr touhou sux cuz cave is harder"... Most of the time those same people die in Touhou a few times as well, so basically, they are saying it sucks cuz they are given 9 lives instead of 4-5.

As for touhou stages being easy, that IS under the assumption that you hav memorized it. I haven't memorized them all myself, but once I do I early have any difficulty with them. Though random spam fest areas like eosd stage 4 books, pcb stage 6 spam, etc still are difficult.

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
Well, Touhou games are easier than Cave games for that exact reason (way more lives and bombs) so I guess for people who think the struggle to clear the game is the funnest part, Touhou games would be less fun.  I think that's fair.  "It's not hard enough" is a good enough reason to not play a game. 

Also I would say the danmaku is easier, given that people routinely capture every spell in the games when they come out.  There are attacks in most Cave games where the idea of clearing them without ever dying or bombing is laughable.

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
Mainly noticed me vs Enigma - while I ended IN lunatic 0/0 through repetitive bruteforcing, he had only 2 misses through the entire game after putting some effort into it. I don't see myself doing that.

I pulled out a 3-miss clear of IN the second time through. Pretty much without practicing Kaguya. I died two times to her. Against Kaguya you will want to practice a lot but the rest of the game can be done with dodging skill. (There are some exceptions though)

And you're making it sound as if Touhou is the memo game and DDP is 100% dodging. I have found myself be walled in DDP were others have been doing specific things like targetting certain enemies because they blow up to clear the screen or redirecting in a specific manner. There are memo parts to DDP as well.

Other than that, I never thought MegaMari was any more difficult than regular Mega Man games

MegaMari is way harder than standard MegaMan. There is more enemies in MegaMari and the bosses are crazier. I have beaten almost every boss in the Mega Man series buster only and a lot of them without taking damage at all. Can't really say the same for MegaMari. I need to play that game again.

Bananamatic

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
And you're making it sound as if Touhou is the memo game and DDP is 100% dodging. I have found myself be walled in DDP were others have been doing specific things like targetting certain enemies because they blow up to clear the screen or redirecting in a specific manner. There are memo parts to DDP as well.
I learned some difficult stage parts through trial and error...you memorize the game without realizing it.
Touhou has memorization in suvival, DDP has it in scoring.

Here's the replay of the possibly worst IN Lunatic clear with almost no memoriziation
yes, I deathbombed Wriggle and died against Mystia
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:57:43 AM by Bananamatic »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »
Touhou has memorization in suvival, DDP has it in scoring.
I'd consider revising that. From what I've seen, heard, and discussed (why not, and experienced), I'd say that memorization for both have for them have the benefits of survival and scoring.

WRT Trial and Error, you learn from your "mistakes" in almost every single game that you play.

Also, typo  :V

This is also starting to somewhat derail back down to those (endless) arguments from before.

There is also nothing for me to add to answer the OP that's already been said.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
yeah, but DDP is more like "oh, so they come from the left, so I have to stream to the right to not get killed the for 6th time" - it comes naturally as you play, while touhou has memorization based on pixel perfect positioning.
Look at Ageless Obsession - you position yourself into completely senseless spots where the bullets barely pass you.

It does work somewhat differently.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
yeah, but DDP is more like "oh, so they come from the left, so I have to stream to the right to not get killed the for 6th time" - it comes naturally as you play
I thought Touhou followed this scheme as well.
Spoiler:
Though granted, some people really aren't bright when it comes to these kinds of things and ask at the first instance of trouble rather than try to work it out for themselves
. And this is where things start to get a bit hazy; players such as myself recommend "this 'exact' spot" simply because it's irrefutably one of the most optimal points to be at. In addition, the fact that Touhou gives you (in most cases) a fair margin of time between "waves" of enemies probably helps this. To compare with this, I'm going to use Dangun FEEEE Feveron, where there aren't as many breaks in between and / or they're considerably shorter. The fact that it's a speedkill-for-score game also means that you'll normally be having a continuous stream of enemies on your screen as it's the way to play (for score).

Actually, you could also argue that in any shmup "this 'exact' spot" type of memorization is a good thing; see DDP again for this one; you start off Stage 1-2 in the (top) right-hand side because it's the most optimal point to initiate the chain from.

Look at Ageless Obsession - you position yourself into completely senseless spots where the bullets barely pass you.
You don't have to go about "AO" like this, and it certainly isn't the only way to do it either. Yes, it's one of the most common methods of going about it. Yes, it is probably the easiest way to go about this, this is why a lot of people recommend it; you end up putting in the least amount of effort for a very good reward (surviving for most), therefore it's extremely efficient. And anything that's efficient is by default, a good thing. This ties in with the above somewhat as well.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »

You mean like this?  :V
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
yeah, but DDP is more like "oh, so they come from the left, so I have to stream to the right to not get killed the for 6th time" - it comes naturally as you play, while touhou has memorization based on pixel perfect positioning.

It does work somewhat differently.

Its not really problematic memorization. I suppose that if you have the skills and reflexes you'll be able to read n' dodge whatever that spell throws at you. The Touhou memorization usually doesn't go much further than remembering spawn points either. Just like in DDP. In Touhou though, you get a few moments sometimes to just refresh your memory about what happens next. In DDP you are faced with relentless waves of enemies that will wall you if you don't move properly. I have hardly ever tried that in Touhou because there is far less enemies in Touhou. (Which may of course make the stages boring for some)

I will argue though that it is only a small part of Touhou attacks that require pixel perfect positioning. Those that do usually get a bomb from me unless they are easy to remember (General Headquarter Crisis, Overly Bright Guest Stars etc.)

Most attacks are just about learning how you are going to dodge it. I don't think DDP is any different there.

Bananamatic

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
You mean like this?  :V
It works only for the first wave which is easy to misdirect anyways.
It's hardly pixel perfect too :V

And yeah, guest stars, general headquarters - both are near impossible for me.

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
I just wish that I could memorize Touhou stages as well as in arcade shmups.. as I believe I've said elsewhere, the enemies aren't diverse enough in Touhou, and the background can't be used as a reference to help you remember what to do in advance. ( also, my execution isn't precise enough )

In lieu of indicative backgrounds, most people just use the music to remember when certain parts of the stage are coming up. For example, when Autumnal Waterfall gets to this point, I know to start streaming from the corner to the center of the stage, to make it easier when Momiji starts attacking.

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
I just remember enemy layouts for stages. Maybe some attacks too if necessary. Don't need the background or music to do that.

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »
In lieu of indicative backgrounds, most people just use the music to remember when certain parts of the stage are coming up. For example, when Autumnal Waterfall gets to this point, I know to start streaming from the corner to the center of the stage, to make it easier when Momiji starts attacking.

The music certainly aids a bit with the memorization of stage layout but only with long stages or stages you haven't practiced enough. Otherwise I usually remember based on what i just dodged. As in beating one part of a stage i automatically remember whats coming up. That sort of memorization is okay. I don't like the kind like the UFO S3 orb spam where its pretty much a strict route you'll have to follow.

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »
I tried searching for videos of this particular replay, but wasn't successful, so I would recommend you people to watch st's EoSD Hard ReimuB replay (in which he/she does 453,340,130 points) in RoyalFlare. Just try to imagine yourselves playing through stages 4 and 5, among other things such as point-blank grazing certain patterns and bombing shots ( which I can't do in advance )

edit: about using the bgm for memorizing stages, it may work... unless you have to pause the game :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:26:11 PM by shadowbringer »
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.