Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 4F  (Read 239515 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 4F
« Reply #390 on: June 26, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
I find Remi rather horrible and F18 was pretty much a direct upgrade of her.

And what am I supposed to do at lv150? Kill the v2s? Finish of the seals? Grind more?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #391 on: June 26, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
And what am I supposed to do at lv150? Kill the v2s? Finish of the seals? Grind more?
All three.

Basically, you should be going in this order.

"Can I beat any more of the Seal Bosses?" If the answer is no, then "Can I beat any more of the V2 bosses?" If the answer is no, then "Have I already beaten all of them?" If so, move on the plus disk. If not, grind moar.

And then Boss Rush is somewhere in there.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #392 on: June 26, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
Boss Rush should not be attempted until you feel that you can wreck any and every boss in the main story back-to-back. Final Boss included obviously :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
Blindly ran into the icon by accident and game overed on Genocider because of Destroy Magic spam.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #394 on: June 26, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
I find Remi rather horrible and F18 was pretty much a direct upgrade of her.
I have no idea how/why you'd think that.

Remi has much better hp (given she levels faster too), better defense (equal but faster leveling), and pretty much equal mnd (1 point lower, but faster leveling offsets it). Her attack and speed are better as well. Granted, she doesn't have trash-killing moves (which nobody really brings up anyway so whatever), and I personally like her buff. f18's buff is obviously uber, but you can only use it once, so big whoop. Plus by 18F, boss fights are noticeably MUCH MUCH longer, so a 1-time use only buff really isn't all that IMO. Remi's self buff doesn't only increase her main nuke to outpace f18's nuke, but it also makes her an excellent tank if you use it for the defensive stats. F18 has the lower hp, as well as incapable of keeping the def stats buffed up, and worse yet, lower hp...don't even get me started on that sp recovery, it's terrible!

F18's elemental affinities are quite good though, I'll give it that.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2010, 02:33:07 AM »
I have no idea how/why you'd think that.

Remi has much better hp (given she levels faster too), better defense (equal but faster leveling), and pretty much equal mnd (1 point lower, but faster leveling offsets it). Her attack and speed are better as well. Granted, she doesn't have trash-killing moves (which nobody really brings up anyway so whatever), and I personally like her buff. f18's buff is obviously uber, but you can only use it once, so big whoop. Plus by 18F, boss fights are noticeably MUCH MUCH longer, so a 1-time use only buff really isn't all that IMO. Remi's self buff doesn't only increase her main nuke to outpace f18's nuke, but it also makes her an excellent tank if you use it for the defensive stats. F18 has the lower hp, as well as incapable of keeping the def stats buffed up, and worse yet, lower hp...don't even get me started on that sp recovery, it's terrible!

F18's elemental affinities are quite good though, I'll give it that.
Honestly?  I took Remilia out of my party very early and never found myself ever saying "Hey, you know what would be useful for this point in time?  Remilia!" since.

Dasher-Crash

• Baka Master
  • Ability: Harnessing the power of the BSOD
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I decided that Wriggle was fine early on, but useless later as PSN does not drain enough HP to make a significant difference.
On your mark, aim, action!!!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I decided that Wriggle was fine early on, but useless later as PSN does not drain enough HP to make a significant difference.
I'm still not sure if Wriggle's HP drain is actually significant enough or not.  I tried to numbercrunch it and what I came up with wasn't exactly impressive, but not as bad as one might think.
(On the other hand I -am- 100% certain that anything with more than 0 PSN resist would neuter it)

Back on the Remilia subject though,I know Remilia's not bad.  Like Youmu and Sakuya, I've seen them used by other players to very high effect.  It's just, I'm not particularly fond of any of the three of them, and I find that in most cases where I feel like I'd want to use one of them, I have an alternate choice or my team already provides alternate ways to do what they do.

To specify, I have a large amount of characters with party/ally buffing spells in the first place on my team when fighting bosses; so Remilia's advantage of being able to self-buff is less impressive, and since I carry characters that can buff attack, Remilia's attack power starts to fall behind other DPS-focused characters.  Plus I've got lots of characters who can tank MND attacks, so Remilia's good MND for a tank is significantly less crucial.  Long story short, I just find that any of the other Tank-type characters bring more to my party than Remilia does.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
(Nevermind me I hurr durr.

I should pay attention to where I post things ><!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:55:42 PM by Garlyle »

« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
I know someone beat the main game in D1 using a solo Cleric without ever using the shops or repeating stages/doing any extra grinding/etc for chrissakes and that's utterly ridiculous.  Because Clerics are terrible unless they've at least got pupils they can learn offensive magic from...
Really old off-topic reply, but this wouldn't happen to have been recorded, would it?

On-topic: I don't remember the last time I actually played this.  18F made me lose interest completely.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #400 on: June 29, 2010, 03:45:47 AM »
Really old off-topic reply, but this wouldn't happen to have been recorded, would it?

On-topic: I don't remember the last time I actually played this.  18F made me lose interest completely.
Search the GameFAQs boards for the first Disgaea (PS2 version I think) for something about a Metal Gear challenge or something.

Also - I really need to get back into this.  I'm at 19F for chrissakes you'd think I could just get around to finishing it.

« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
I stopped using Remilia for awhile midgame, but actually ended up bringing her back in for the later floors and plus disc.  Her durability is a huge boon, as later on attacks seem to get a lot more powerful (or maybe I'm just underleveled, like usual) and while her damage output isn't exceptional, it's decent enough and consistent since her attack is non elemental.  Unlike most tanky characters she's also really fast and makes a great switcher.

Bananamatic

« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
I found Remi's damage mediocre, even with the buff.

18F on the other hand outdamages her with her attack without buffs and has a good 1 shot buff.
Remi is useless just as much as 18F against random trash...18F also makes early 20F easy.

And then I broke 19F. Fun stuff :V

Inactive person

• カナ●アナベラルは俺の嫁 異議は認めない
  • I'm never on :V
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
Argh, I opened up the game  today to find my save file deleted.  Fortunately, I had the save file in my v2.06 folder to level up
Spoiler:
Yukari
, so I wasn't that far back.  Time to re-explore 18F from scratch..

Bananamatic

« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
How to make this game run in applocale? Before that it worked without, but now I'm trying out the 3.01 patch which seems to force it and the screen except for the font is always black.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #405 on: July 01, 2010, 12:43:14 AM »
How to make this game run in applocale? Before that it worked without, but now I'm trying out the 3.01 patch which seems to force it and the screen except for the font is always black.

3.01?? You have the new special disk?

« Reply #406 on: July 01, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
3.01?? You have the new special disk?
new special disk = moar grinding?  :ohdear:

« Reply #407 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
new special disk = moar grinding?  :ohdear:
Less, actually.

...allegedly.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »
3.01 patch is on 3Peso's blog
I don't know if it applies the changes from Special Disk to a standard game (Admittedly, I expect so - except for the actual new content, like the alternate BGM set and stuff).

EDIT: You're also now aware that the game is officially a year old.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:40:48 AM by Garlyle »

Bananamatic

« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »
so how do you fix that black screen crap

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
so how do you fix that black screen crap
From the sounds of it it's probably that 3.01 is looking for files that don't exist in the image data anymore.  I don't know, haven't tested 3.01 out myself yet.

Alternatively make sure your file path does not contain japanese characters.

Bananamatic

« Reply #411 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »
Made sure 10 times already, it doesn't. But the error looks exactly the same...and it happens with all 3 versions with japanese locale.

EDIT: I fucking hate my real life name. Blocks applocale. But 3.01 still doesn't work.

Moved the entire folder to my other HD, but that one didn't accept it so I had to copy it directly into C:.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:32:15 AM by Bananamatic »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #412 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure the onsite download isn't the whole Special Disk. Especially since it's 3.01 and not 3.00. So you'll still have to get the Special Disk first, in order to use it.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #413 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure the onsite download isn't the whole Special Disk. Especially since it's 3.01 and not 3.00. So you'll still have to get the Special Disk first, in order to use it.

LOL wut a tard, common sense is for sissies.

I think the solution is to hit your monitor.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #414 on: July 02, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
Reading Poolswimmer.
The most interesting thing I've seen Japanese do differently in this game is using Rumia for Plus Disk. Other than that, they pretty much use the same characters.
OH GOD YES, sounds like they may have buffed Rumia. Hopefully. Before this, she's only been an utter waste of art and programming effort; all the other characters are at least usable, even if unrecommended.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11200309

If that video is real then you can choose how many levels you want to level a character... much faster than clicking z all day...
Awesome. Plus Disk made it less bad by giving memory on which stat you boosted on levelup, but this makes it so mass leveling isn't a big deal at all.

EDIT:This might be the only thing they meant when it said "reduced grinding", by the way. :x

Also, here's a video of fighting 12F boss in Special Disk. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11186700
FYI, the omgraep nukes didn't even get used, so if you knew about that whole "oh man they nerfed the difficulty a ton 12F nukes hardly hurt you " discussion, yeahno. I don't even know how that happened, unless someone mistook a regular attack for a supernuke.

Here's one of fighting 30F last boss. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11163685
This shows the ability to switch your character our-...I just got some weird japanese virusthingy that tried to shut down my computer and played some words I can't understand. It closed everything except firefox because it asked me if I really wanted to close multiple tabs at once XD Well, keeping one thing from closing cancels shutdown, for you people who don't understand why I'm still typing. Anyway. Shows the ability to switch out your character artwork for other stuff, and two new songs. The other two videos also show one new song, each.

And YES, that is RUMIA you see him using for 30F boss. It really is. Demarcation seems to be healing a about 1.33x as much as Meiling's Healer (and a little less then half as much as Reimu's), and Moonlight Ray doing about 4/5th the damage of Youmu's Slash of Eternity. Well, her MAG apparently might be better. If her survival ability and/or speed have improved, she may be okay now.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:19:14 PM by NeoSerela »

Xijiy

• What a purrfect post
« Reply #415 on: July 02, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
So I've explored all of the 1F and I can't get chen's boss battle to appear. It's weird since this is my second time through the game and the first time she appeared without a problem.  :ohdear:

Bananamatic

« Reply #416 on: July 02, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
have you triggered the other chen events?

Xijiy

• What a purrfect post
« Reply #417 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
Yea I trigger the other two chen events. Plus I have the whole field explored and the only four ! marks left are the two of the bloody seal, the one for the melting light, and the one for the stairs.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #418 on: July 03, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
Sorry if this is off topic, but what exactly is the posting etiquette for poosh? The Touhou labyrinth thread on there is getting on my nerves with the level of ignorance. I mean I don't mind people who don't know something, but it drives me nuts when they act like they know wtf they're talking about when they don't.

Unless both level and Wriggle's attack power is factored in poison damage, then you're still not going to be using it at later points.

I mean I dislike poison in this game too, but the complete lack of logic in that statement is infuriating! gahh.

Bananamatic

« Reply #419 on: July 03, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »
poison wrecks your shit and does nothing vs enemies