Author Topic: [Music]A Certain Touhou Medley for Mallets  (Read 9997 times)

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
[Music]A Certain Touhou Medley for Mallets
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:39:30 AM »
edit: 40 minute version up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFafAfVtiU4

updated list

0:00 The Gensokyo the Gods Loved
0:38 U.N. Owen Was Her?
1:26 Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
2:05 Dark Side of Fate
2:38 Deaf to All but the Song
3:21 Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea
3:56 Reach for the Moon ~ Immortal Smoke
4:51 Sleeping Terror
5:51 Beloved Tomboyish Girl
6:30 Bad Apple!!
7:20 Flowering Nights
8:05 Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble
9:00 Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain
10:29 Necrofantasia
11:27 Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome Kagome
12:52 Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
13:50 ????
13:52 Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When?
14:40 Lullaby of a Deserted Hell
15:29 Long Transition is Long
15:38 Cemetery of Onbashira ~ Grave of Being
16:10 Romantic Children
16:43 Hartmann's Youkai Girl
17:22 Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country
18:03 Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon
18:50 Strawberry Crisis!
20:20 Voyage 1970
21:21 Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
22:25 Sealed Away Youkai ~ Lost Place
22:51 The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood
23:43 Inanimate Dream
24:30 Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17
26:13 Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes
27:13 Doll Maker of Bucuresti
27:55 Border of Life (Saigyou Ayakashi)
29:11 Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (SWR ending theme)
30:27 Lord Usa's Elemental Flag
31:25 A Midnight Fairy Dance
32:13 Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim
33:27 Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream
34:31 Reincarnation
35:22 Charming Domination
36:26 Vessel of Magic ~ Casket of Stars
37:13 Treacherous Maiden ~ Judas Kiss
38:28 Walking the Former Streets of Hell

MP3 found in video description
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:28:28 AM by 7h3d4rkw0lf »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: [Music]Trying to make a Touhou Medley (Feedback please?)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:53:26 AM »
I wish I could be useful but just wanted to post saying I like this mucho  :*

I'll listen again tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me that sounds like it'll fit in, right now I'm drawing a major blank.

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:05:37 AM »
I wish I could be useful but just wanted to post saying I like this mucho  :*

I'll listen again tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me that sounds like it'll fit in, right now I'm drawing a major blank.

You do not understand HOW THANKFUL I am for even REPLYING!!!

A reply tells me there's someone who actually looked through what I wrote, and that's more than enough to keep me driving!

Thanks, and I'll appreciate it even more if you could infact help me tomorrow, and by helping, simply suggesting a song for me to incorporate is more than enough!

EDIT:

added two more melodies (and updated link)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:42:02 AM by 7h3d4rkw0lf »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
Alright, listened to it again (after two more things were added after I went to bed!)

The first thing that struck me was the transition from Dark Side to Shanghai Teahouse.  They were virtually seamless up to before that point (and after!) so it felt very abrupt to cut to silence in between.  I think if you put in another song to help go into the less frantic OH GOD THE BULLETS vibe for Shanghai Teahouse you can get rid of the pause and still get the right calmness.

Lullaby of Deserted Hell is jumping out at me for that part, since the intro guitar bit I think can flow right from Dark Side's fast bits somehow, well probably no trickier to pull off than the UN Owen -> Bamboo Cutter, and the last note of the main phrase of Lullaby is the same pitch as the first note of Teahouse (I only know this because I covered both of these songs myself!)

Or if the pause was intentional then totally ignore that part  :V

As for what to put after, listening to the Bad Apple!! part a whole bunch of  times and trying to imagine what could come next, these songs came to mind, though I have no clue how practical they'd be:
1) Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble
2) A Tiny Tiny Clever Commander
3) Voyage 1969
4) A God That Misses People ~ Romantic Fall
5) Love-Colored Magic/Master Spark

Hope this helps!

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
Alright, listened to it again (after two more things were added after I went to bed!)

The first thing that struck me was the transition from Dark Side to Shanghai Teahouse.  They were virtually seamless up to before that point (and after!) so it felt very abrupt to cut to silence in between.  I think if you put in another song to help go into the less frantic OH GOD THE BULLETS vibe for Shanghai Teahouse you can get rid of the pause and still get the right calmness.

Lullaby of Deserted Hell is jumping out at me for that part, since the intro guitar bit I think can flow right from Dark Side's fast bits somehow, well probably no trickier to pull off than the UN Owen -> Bamboo Cutter, and the last note of the main phrase of Lullaby is the same pitch as the first note of Teahouse (I only know this because I covered both of these songs myself!)

Or if the pause was intentional then totally ignore that part  :V

As for what to put after, listening to the Bad Apple!! part a whole bunch of  times and trying to imagine what could come next, these songs came to mind, though I have no clue how practical they'd be:
1) Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble
2) A Tiny Tiny Clever Commander
3) Voyage 1969
4) A God That Misses People ~ Romantic Fall
5) Love-Colored Magic/Master Spark

Hope this helps!

Ah, the transition from Dark Side of Fate to Shanghai Teahouse was bothering me a bit to be honest.

At first I intended it for a OMGSUDDENBREAKWHYISMYFACEINTHEWINDSHIELD sort of change, to make it very clear in feel, but now I listen to it for the millionth time its starting to sound like i was just being lazy x.x

I'll try and see if Lullaby would work

Again, THANK YOU

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »
Oh man, I love mallets. Great work. I really liked the transitions between the songs.

Although, the transition between Flight of the Bamboo Cutter and Dark Side of Fate seems a bit out of place. That specific transition links two dark and minor key (I think F minor and C# minor, I'm not sure) part of the songs, but the transition itself seems to lack that. Also, using tubular bells for the melody in Bad Apple sounds a bit awkward to me. I think vibraphone would work better.

As for future additions, I think Eternal Dream ~ Mystic Maple and Evening Primrose would sound really good on mallets.

Again, great work.

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
Oh man, I love mallets. Great work. I really liked the transitions between the songs.

Although, the transition between Flight of the Bamboo Cutter and Dark Side of Fate seems a bit out of place. That specific transition links two dark and minor key (I think F minor and C# minor, I'm not sure) part of the songs, but the transition itself seems to lack that. Also, using tubular bells for the melody in Bad Apple sounds a bit awkward to me. I think vibraphone would work better.

As for future additions, I think Eternal Dream ~ Mystic Maple and Evening Primrose would sound really good on mallets.

Again, great work.

Ah I'll see what I can do about that transition.

As for the additional songs, I've written it down in my request.txt that I keep in the same folder as my work xD

In other news, I worked on it again last night and stuck in Deaf to All but the Song between Dark Side of Fate and Shanghai Tea House, the transition is a bit awkward and I'm still trying to figure out how to do the transition smoothly, but it works. Also added in Flowering Night and Beloved Tomboyish Girl at the end (in that order)

The piece is currently around 7 minutes long, Im on my mac right now (which doesn't have the movie file). I'll upload and link the newest version on youtube when I get to school.

A bit of a comment on Flowering Night, the transition itself may come across awkward, but in a musical sense I wanted to get away from sharps and into flats, A LOT, and Flowering Night had a natural transition of that sort so I guess I forced it in :-/ In case no one noticed, up until (when I upload you'll hear) Flowering Night, the entire song was in some key signature of sharps

Also thank you so  much for replying
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:57:33 AM by 7h3d4rkw0lf »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
I really like this, well done. I hope we will see more stuff like it in the future.  :3

Though I have to say, for some reason the beginning of the Bad Apple!! part made me think of punting hedgehogs in Seiken Densetsu 3. I'll let you decide whether that is a good thing or not.  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
I really like this, well done. I hope we will see more stuff like it in the future.  :3

Though I have to say, for some reason the beginning of the Bad Apple!! part made me think of punting hedgehogs in Seiken Densetsu 3. I'll let you decide whether that is a good thing or not.  :V

Ha ha, old chap! the rhythm section before the melody comes in? Well I needed someting to "build" into the actual melody so... x.x besides I'm sorta taking from the ACTUAL Bad Apple (feat Nomico ver that is) which has that covered by drums but... meh, I sorta borrowed the notating from the piano arrangement of Bad Apple Feat. Nomico

Although I will admit you gave me quite a laugh with the description x.x

Again, great work.

Actually after looking over the music again, Bamboo Cutter is indeed in a minor key, however the section I transition into with Dark Side of Fate is in a major key, so I think doing the entire transition in a major was an alright move, but that's what I think
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:29:24 PM by 7h3d4rkw0lf »

SparklehPanda

• Most Sparklehest Panda you will ever meet... ever.
  • Most sparklehest panda you'll ever meet.. ever...
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »
This is really pretty. Great work!  It reminds me of a sort of Jingle Bells type thing. I love it, its absolutely awesome. ^^

I require no mind altering substance... my mind is altered enough as it is... though I'd have to say that b33r is rather tasty.

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:09 AM »
This is really pretty. Great work!  It reminds me of a sort of Jingle Bells type thing. I love it, its absolutely awesome. ^^

Thanks a million!

Actually I'm just about to finish up this piece... but here's the catch.

I'm going to make two versions, an extended version, and the short version, the short one I'm about to finish off with Necrophantasia ^_^

I should have a final video up within an hour so be ready! Not sure exactly how epic the ending will come out, but I have an idea of how I want it to go :3

Anyways again, thanks!

jbsnv

• Been afk since birth
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:02 AM »
i replyed on youtube any way epic win if you made all of that or any of that a am amazed

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
i replyed on youtube any way epic win if you made all of that or any of that a am amazed

Thanks!

Just a header for you guys, I'm about to upload my final, "short'" version up soon, what I mean is a close friend of mine challenged me to make the longest touhou medley ever xD

So I'm going to make a reasonably lengthed one, the short one, and a long one, which will be twice as long xD (I plan to end the long one with Love Colored Master Spark)

EDIT:

final "short" version is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaiPliHL6vU
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:06:28 PM by 7h3d4rkw0lf »

harry_kinomoto

Re: [Music]Touhou Medley for Mallet Percussion
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »
Awesome work! I was the one who asked for the mp3 on ur YouTube - thanks for providing it! This is going to be satisfying listening!

I'd absolutely adore it if you would post a video of you playing it as well!!

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08:26 AM »
Awesome work! I was the one who asked for the mp3 on ur YouTube - thanks for providing it! This is going to be satisfying listening!

I'd absolutely adore it if you would post a video of you playing it as well!!

Haha no problem about the MP3

as for me playing it, the actual instruments playing in the song I have up is all digital, but fear not, because I plan on learning all 4 parts over the summer and recording myself playing each instrument and mixing it together for REAL instrument sounds instead of computer generated ones :D

But that might take awhile, the music is a lot of harder than I expected x.x

then again I might record a video as well as record the audio and just mix it all together and put in the recorded track with the video for the best quality x.x

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »
Eh, double post maybe, but I added a 15 minute version link so I think I can justify not only double posting, but necroing.

I find no point in making another topic about this so yeah.

edit: what's actually funny is I searched, "touhou medley" on google and this was like the 5th result x.x

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »
wow, is this live-played? if so, man you got some mad skills (especially clear during kaguya's theme)

tis very nice :D

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »
wow, is this live-played? if so, man you got some mad skills (especially clear during kaguya's theme)

tis very nice :D

haha, unfortunately not so, although I already know half the piece on xylo x.x

Then again it's a 4 instrument piece so I can't exactly perform it myself, although I eventually want to find a few other people and maybe play it.

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »
Haha oh wow, cant believe I almost missed this =o Really interestin stuff amgio, we should jam sometime~

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
Haha, maybe :D

Also, speaking of which, if there are any songs you'd like to hear being put it, just tell me the name of the song and I'll see if I can incorporate it.

I'm starting to run out of ideas myself x.x

a few songs I know I'll include are

Maid and the Blood Pocket Watch (or soemthing like that, forgot the exact title)
A Tiny Tiny Clever Commander (I like the beginning)
Voyage 1970
Voyage 1969
Master Spark (ending probably)
At the End of Spring
Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country

and a few more, but just those won't get me up to the 23-25 minute mark I'm aiming for x.x

Oh also I plan on making either a band or orchestral arrangement once I'm done with the "long" version

Re: [Music]A Certain Touhou Medley for Mallets
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 03:27:46 AM »
Transition to Shanghai needs work. Try to make the songs shorter and use a larger palette of songs. Other than that, good work.

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
Was shanghai's transition funky? Will look at it.

Also, any sort of recommendation you have for a song to be put in?

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
Also, any sort of recommendation you have for a song to be put in?

Hmmmm could use some pc-98 tunes, but id totally settle for Gensokyo Past and Present~

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
Hmmmm could use some pc-98 tunes, but id totally settle for Gensokyo Past and Present~

Alright, added that to my list.

If it means anything, one of the songs I've added already is "Romantic Children"

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »
bumpity bump bump, I think that saying the link in OP is now linked to the 25 minute version is relevant enough to constitute an extremely old bump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u8efAAhloI

here's the link again for those who dont want to scroll to the top. Anyways, 25 minute long medley now. Quite proud of this one.

40 minute version coming up eventually, followed by the hour long version (again, eventually)

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
Fuck yea xylophones (and other mallet percussion) BV

*brofist*

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
WHY DOES THIS GUY NOT HAVE A TAG YET.

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
Fuck yea xylophones (and other mallet percussion) BV

*brofist*

*brofists back*

WHY DOES THIS GUY NOT HAVE A TAG YET.

Heh, I take it as you find the video satisfactory? xD

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:11 PM »
I would totally play Lunatic version of this :P

7h3d4rkw0lf

• Some random dude
  • Remi <3
    • Yukkuricraft
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
lol, thanks. Though the lunatic version might take awhile to get finished xD

HOPEFULLY I'll have it up by the end of 2011, but eh, who knows, School is unpredictable in it's schedules and workload so... :P