Author Topic: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages  (Read 169777 times)

Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:30:49 AM »
So: depending on what kanji you use (and the context), "ya" can either mean the number eight, or night. Rinnosuke even makes a big deal out of this in one of the chapters of CoLA, and how they're the same or similar in other languages as well (eight/night, acht/nacht, etc).

Then there's Imperishable Night. Which is the eighth Touhou game ever made.

Yeah.

Drake

Re: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:42:20 AM »
Both SoEW and MoF are 「ふうまろく」 ?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:59 AM »
Every Windows Touhou game has the kanji for the final boss in the name, except for EoSD which has Koakuma and MEILING :getdown:

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »
Every Windows Touhou game has the kanji for the final boss in the name, except for EoSD which has Koakuma and MEILING :getdown:

This is because no-one has yet unlocked the TLB of EoSD~ >.>

Also, I was suprised when I realised that Minoriko has two left feet.  No, seriously, look at her ZUNart, she literally has two left feet.  And it's apparently not an art goof or anything, it's symbolic of... Something, I forget.  It's not as cool as having two right hands (Yori~<3), but it's still pretty interesting.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:59:44 AM »

Also, I was suprised when I realised that Minoriko has two left feet.  No, seriously, look at her ZUNart, she literally has two left feet.  And it's apparently not an art goof or anything, it's symbolic of... Something, I forget.  It's not as cool as having two right hands (Yori~<3), but it's still pretty interesting.
Though I have yet to seen a single fan art that depicts her with two left feet.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »
Though I have yet to seen a single fan art that depicts her with two left feet.

Body horror. Squicks people out.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
Only realized a couple months ago that Orin is not, actually, wielding a giant meat clever but rather pushing a wheelbarrow. I think ZUN art may be another reason why there haven't been any two-left-feet fan depictions - maybe many figured it was a drawing error.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
Youmu's last nonspell can be dodged with just a single tap.

A crouching Yuyuko in SWR/UNL/IaMP looks a lot like Akira from Lucky Star.

Youmu's angry portrait in PCB actually shows her hairband rather than some sort of werewolf ear.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but recently I've started wondering whether stages 2+5 of SA aren't just the same background with different colours and some weird-ass wavy effects.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »
@ Battleship, SA is generally known for its lazy bg unfortunate.

@ Kimiko, holy hell. Now you mention it,  Acht/Nacht -> Th8 / IN.  I am kogasa surprised.

@ Tengukami ,  I don't get how people kept missing that though. Always confused by it.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »
Only realized a couple months ago that Orin is not, actually, wielding a giant meat clever but rather pushing a wheelbarrow. I think ZUN art may be another reason why there haven't been any two-left-feet fan depictions - maybe many figured it was a drawing error.
I blame the Wheelbarrel looking like one. Seriously.

She also has a Bazooka Chin, but you probably saw that first anyway...

Also,

Akyu can also spell Yuka, if a few letters are rearranged.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Yeah it was one of the most interesting chapters of CoLA, how in most languages, eight and night is the same. And I wondered how in my language, the two are completely different, however we can go as the Hungarian "evening" is "?jszaka", often shortened to "?j" what is also how most people pronounce "eight" here. However, "eight" is "nyolc" in Hungarian, so.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 03:49:23 AM »
Recently realized that DS' first photo theme, The Mystery in Your Town, is loosely based off of StB's first photo theme, Wind Tour.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
The sprites for Alice's dolls in PCB, the photo games, and technicly SA are just generic red fairies.
They don't even change colors to mache the theme of the spell.

Really, ZUN, you could have atleast just taken off the wings in ms paint at the last second or something
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
As someone on IRC noticed, all stage 6 bosses are Immortals, or rather, they cannot die by natural causes

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »

This is now my avatar. :V

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
I only recently realized that Utsuho cannot possibly have tan lines.

Tengukami

Possibly crazy stuff you didn't notice
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
She doesn't have a tan, so no, that stands to reason I guess.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »
I just noticed last night while playing DS English patch that Byakuren's lotus flowers have eyes that follow you.

Apparently I was supposed to have caught on to this already. :<
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
DS can not only stand for that confangled Nintendo handheld...but also Down Syndrome.

Huh...wonder what that means to you guys who play it so much?

Tengukami

Double Spoiler
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
... what?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
DS can not only stand for that confangled Nintendo handheld...but also Down Syndrome.

Huh...wonder what that means to you guys who play it so much?
More importantly, DSDS is the acronym for Germany's rendition of American Idol. So we can conclude that everyone who enters these shows has down syndrome. Twice.

Q.E.D.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

Possibly crazy (ry
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »
Everyone with Down's syndrome that I know is a pretty cool person - more so than a lot of supposedly normal people - so I'd be proud to have my fave game associated with them.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
As someone on IRC noticed, all stage 6 bosses are Immortals, or rather, they cannot die by natural causes

Okay, Remilia is a vampire and they are nigh unkillable in Touhou continuity, Yuyuko is already dead, Kaguya is perfectly immortal and Eirin has an endless lifespan, Kanako can only die if her faith runs out, Byakuren is also ageless but since when is Okuu immortal? Sure, youkai are hard to kill, but youkai still have limited life spans unless they meet a certain requirement (get strong/wise enough or something along those lines) or have an ability that already does all the work for them (the theory that Yukari removing her border of life and death for example). Okuu's power boost made her a lot stronger than the majority of youkai, but I doubt it was enough to make her immortal.

Or am I missing a new piece of Word-of-God?

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »
Both SoEW and MoF are 「ふうまろく」 ?

Late, but they're not the same. SoEW = ふうまろく, MoF = ふうじんろく.

They're weirdly close though.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
Okay, Remilia is a vampire and they are nigh unkillable in Touhou continuity, Yuyuko is already dead, Kaguya is perfectly immortal and Eirin has an endless lifespan, Kanako can only die if her faith runs out, Byakuren is also ageless but since when is Okuu immortal? Sure, youkai are hard to kill, but youkai still have limited life spans unless they meet a certain requirement (get strong/wise enough or something along those lines) or have an ability that already does all the work for them (the theory that Yukari removing her border of life and death for example). Okuu's power boost made her a lot stronger than the majority of youkai, but I doubt it was enough to make her immortal.

Or am I missing a new piece of Word-of-God?
She vored the sun god Kanako gave her. True, it's not exactly stated that she's immortal or can not really die by normal means, but you can see where the implications of immortality will crop up.

The way I see it though; you're not immortal if I can kill you and you STAY dead.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
"ocho" (eight) and "noche"(night) sound well in my language too...but nobody see the infinity symbol in the eight from TH8? all about eternity and inmortality, and the 8 of the infinity...

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »
...but nobody see the infinity symbol in the eight from TH8? all about eternity and inmortality, and the 8 of the infinity...
Mind is now completely blown. IN is hereby officially my favourite game. (Enjoyed it the most anyway)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
infinity symbol in the eight from TH8?
FFFUUUUU
 :o

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
Hmm, but in Japanese, 8 meant "a lot" while 9 meant "infinite".