Author Topic: Your Touhou Routines  (Read 7029 times)

Your Touhou Routines
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
Do you have a routine you have to go through when you play Touhou? Have to start with Normal before trying Hard for the day? Always gotta have a tall glass of chocolate milk next to you while you play? First thing you start with has to be PCB Extra? Maybe you prefer to just jump in to whatever you feel like at the time? Let's hear your routines for playing Touhou.

For me, I have to have at least seven hours of sleep the night before. I used to play if I didn't, but I started to notice my performance drop significantly. Stuff like, "I can monitor bullets this far away on the screen", but if I haven't had any sleep, I don't even see them. I usually fumble up on moving in unfocused bursts in the middle of bullets as well, won't be able to time it correctly. I hate failing stuff I know I should be able to pass :<

Also, gotta start with Marisa A on Lunatic UFO before I attempt anything else. Just feels wrong if I don't. Something about having kick ass lasers, rediculus speed and a huge hitbox starts things off right with me.

Alternative title: "Touhou OCD thread".

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Your Touhou Routines
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »
Anything.  If I feel like casual runs, I'll do an Extra, usually LLS, EoSD or SA.  Otherwise, I'm usually pounding EoSD Lunatic (GAME OVER ON SCARLET GENSOKYO FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) and occasionally UFO Hard.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Touhou routines
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »
Neat thread idea!

My routine ties in with how I practice. If I'm stuck on a stage, I spam continues until it's opened in Practice Start. So when it comes time to play, I usually open Practice Start in windowed mode and do a few runs there before switching to full screen and playing for real. Lately, though, I've been all about Double Spoiler. For that I'll attempt a spellcard a few times windowed and then go full screen.

Also, I find I play better wearing earphones.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »
The normal routine for me is to fail a 1CC around two to three times before actually succeeding at it.  (For UFO make that 4-5 times.)

I usually only restart mid-way when I botch something up that would make it impossible for me to 1CC it.  I hear some people will restart if their score has not reached a certain amount when reaching the end of a stage.

Every single one of my PCB runs ends up being interrupted with me lowering the volume during Yuyuko's fight.  That shit is too loud man.  I even try to lower it before hand, but it still feels loud when I play.

atoms2ashes

• I am lame, and I shall not be forced to become otherwise.
  • Fresco makes everything better.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »
1. Open Touhou Game.
2. Play until first midboss appears.
3. Listen to awesome music.
4. Notice name of loli.
5. Notice name of Spell Card.
6. OMFG DODGE!!1!!11!!
7. Die.
8. Continue.
9. Die again.
10. Repeat step 6.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »
Habits and Routines:

Play Touhou in a higher difficulty for an hour or two. Just to warm up, unlock some stages if you'd like.

Lunatic UFO / SA works best. EoSD is ugly.

I am allowed to derp as much as I want to see how I will perform later on. (To see if I need a rest or not)
Then if I'm playing Extra:

I must hit ESC -> Retry if these things happen before boss fight:Death / Low Graze / Low Score / No Card Captures / No Extra ExtendsThat said, I only keep going if I have a good stock of resources, else it's suicide and time is lost. imoUFO Extra is a temporary exception.

If going for 1cc:

I will hit retry if these happen:Death prior to stage 5. (Stage 4 if Hard, Stage 3 if Lunatic)And that's it. I need the lives for the levels that actually count. If I mess up Stage 4 (Usually huge increase in difficulty. Most evident in PCB) very bad (3+ Deaths) then I will retry.

If practice:

I will hit retry if I lose more lives than last time I played. (Basically, each time I practice, I must do better than last time.)

If Spell Practice:

Keep going until you capture the card, regardless of difficulty. If I hate the card, I will give it 10 tries. Else, I go up to 100 if needed.I consider myself consistent if I can capture the card three times in a row and then time it out. I also have to have captured it at least 10 times.If the card is bullshit, I won't bother. (Eg. Sanae's Bumper Crop Shower)

Environment:

Must play in a closed area. Must be using earphones/headphonesCan also play in front of friends, but performance will not be as good.Personal sound.

LCD Screen. Must be sitting. Hands must be clean and dry. Over time, adrenaline rush may cause hands to sweat, and can make it difficult to play because crap gets on the keyboard.Hand Sanitizer works best because some dry your hands.When heart beats too fast, pause and take a breather. That shit will fuck up your ending. I did this prior to Byakuren and it worked.Like when driving, always be calm, do not become agitated, and eyes on the road danmaku.Rage quitting is taboo. Never close Touhou out of anger.

===================

This may seem strict, but Touhou is just a game. These are just general habits I loosely (but constantly) follow, but I can easily deviate from it if I want, except for the last part. Of course, I'd be a lot faster if I only stuck to one game rather than do every one at once./habit/routine/how greenvirus does touhou

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may   wish to review your post.                       

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
Ohai Lunatic
*fail**DIE**DERPDEATH**CLIPDEATH*
Fine fuck you...
Normul.
OH DAMNIT _________ *final boss name* STOP GIVING ME A GAEM OVAR AT THE LAST THREE SECONDS.
And that is why I can't even beat normal....

Also.
if(DeathInFirstStage == true){
giveUpAndRetry();
}
if(HorribleDeath){
giveUpAndRetry();
}
if(situation persists){
giveUpAndRagequit();
spamMOTKwithThread("Today is not my touhou day");
}

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
I just feel play what I feel like doing.

Which means lately,

IN Final B (Trying to do a NDNB, but Eirin opener, Brilliant Dragon Bullet, Buddhist Diamond. Keep derping Hourai Jewel and second nonspell as well. Can't expect all 5 last spells as Rising World is easy to screw up, but I can expect 4)

PCB Extra (trying for perfect)
PCB Phantasm (trying for perfect)

and then some UFO Hard occasionally(but 1ccing is way too hard at the moment).

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
Do a random run on EoSD or MoF. If I get to S4 without ragequitting, that's my "go" sign to keep at it. Generally, though, after a successful run each subsequent is worse. By the end of the day I play unbelievably badly.

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
wait you guys actually have shmup routines? :V

how to 1cc a game:

1) don't ragequit, get as far as you can unless you die on st1
2) play it often
3) wait
4) ????
5) PROFIT1CC!

rediculus speed and a huge hitbox starts things off right with me.
eh
I don't see a difference between marisa and raymoo
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:32:39 PM by Bananamatic »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
>Get at least 7 hours of sleep unless it's something that takes three minutes or less (boss battles and the like)
>Drink tea before doing anything remotely difficult
>Forget to bomb repeatedly the first two or three times doing anything

As for what I actually play, there's not really anything else I'm aiming for right now in Touhou so generally it's just picking a random game and getting a vanilla Lunatic 1cc provided it's not UFO. :V Occasionally I'll warm up with practicing some random Stage 5 or 6, but that's about it.
Let's fight.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »
I typically start over if I end up dying on stage 1, and I usually go for no-bomb clears simply because I like capturing cards. Plus it seems to be more fun that way, since you're forced to dodge or die.

The number of no-bomb clears I actually succeed at, though...  :ohdear:

Drake

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:56:52 PM »
coffee

Die on stage 1 = lol redo
Die three+ on first three stages (sauf UFO) = lol redo

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
Pretty simple for me.
On the days I have classes later than others, I play a single run. For some reason, this ends up being the best run of the day.
Go to classes, return to eat, more classes and back to stuff. After some studying and advance in my assignments, I end up doing 2-3 runs, more focused in learning bits of stages or bosses that give me trouble.

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »
Here's a flowchart

I feel like playing Touhou
  v
Plug in controller
  v
Open game
  v
Why aren't the buttons doing anything
  v
You didn't open Joy2Key
  v
God damn it
  v
Close game, open Joy2Key, open game again
  v
Begin game
  v             ^ Fuck dammit
You ran into an enemy in Stage 1 while trying to collect something at the top of the screen
  v  I give up
Fuck dammit shit
  v
End

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:11 PM »
I just start right off with Lunatic mode and play until i start sucking or start getting bored. I also quit early if i start to get frustrated. I some cola while playing if i can as there is nothing more satisfying than taking a big sip of the bottle after a well done accomplishment. Or something to help calm the frustration.

That's about it pretty much. As for environments i prefer a reasonably heated room, though not too hot, being all alone. I can play in the presence of others though but their presence, and the fact that some feel like talking to me while playing, takes of concentration so i die more.

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
-I don't really play Touhou anymore tbh
-Playing time per day depends on how busy my schedule is.  I usually try to make a balance between replay-watching, practice, and full runs.
-I focus on mastering full-game runs only.  The 'Kefit-style' of play with grinding practice mode to perfect stages or capture/timeout cards and stuff no longer holds any interest to me at all.
-Challenge the SCORE ATTACK
-Practice mode(or savestates) is for warming  up and warming down during playing sessions, and to go over/experiment with any new strategies
-Watch superplays to get tips/insights
-If I screw up on stage 1 or early 2, I restart.  If later than that, I credit feed for practice(if the mechanics allow it, post-MoF and all that)
-Fail 95% of the time
-Once in a blue moon have some kind of success
-Post it on here for MASSIVE INTERNET CREDZ

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
I don't play Touhou as much as I used to, but when I do play, I don't have a routine. i just play whatever the hell I feel like playing. The only thing I usually do is warm up a bit on stage 1 on Normal/Hard before doing stuff.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »
Over the last few days or so, it has gone as such:

1. Start
2. AW CRAP!
3. Ragequit to prevent a horrid waste of time awash in my own futility.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Matsuri

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:43:49 AM »
1) Play Touhou game
2) Get bored with said game
3) Play different Touhou game
4) Eh, that's good enough
5) *one month passes*
6) LET'S 1CC THIS ON LUNATIC!!!!!!!!!
7) Well...dammit.
8) Repeat.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »
My routine is doing something completely different than my last 3 touhou-fests, randomly chosen. Though I tend to play EoSD and PCB more often than the rest. I kinda need to break that habit though. Hard is getting too easy now, and lunatic is too hard. I feel confident I can 1cc them all on lunatic (have so far with the ones I really tried to), but not without practicing it quite a bit for a couple weeks or so. I like practicing lunatic remilia too. I'm really ashamed that I can't spellcap more than half her spellcards ever, despite playing against her alot. Effing thousand needle mountain, scarlet meister, and scarlet gensokyo are wtf hard.... Of course her non cards are pretty damn easy minus her opener.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 03:38:57 AM »
Play for a while till I ragequit, switch to the next one untill ragequit, switch to the ne-blah blah blah
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 03:51:15 AM »
eh
I don't see a difference between marisa and raymoo

If you want numbers, Marisa is 5 pixels/second unfocused and Reimu is 4.5p/s unfocused. Marisa's hitbox is 3.5 pixels in radius, Reimu's is 2 (!!!). Reimu needs to eat more, she's clearly not energetic enough for this crap anymore.

As for what I actually play, there's not really anything else I'm aiming for right now in Touhou so generally it's just picking a random game and getting a vanilla Lunatic 1cc provided it's not UFO. :V

Aww yeah 1cc UF--!! Hey!

Occasionally I'll warm up with practicing some random Stage 5 or 6, but that's about it.

On days where I try to go for a high score, I also try to do this. Works wonders. I recommend it to everybody.

To pretty much everybody in this thread: Don't rage quit. I know you probably don't want to keep that run where you die to Kisume, but if you keep going with "garbage runs" you'll get a lot better, a lot quicker. Really. You've probably heard this point before because seriously, it works. Plus repeating the first two stages of the same game over and over gets boring pretty fast, don'tcha think?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »
If you want numbers, Marisa is 5 pixels/second unfocused and Reimu is 4.5p/s unfocused. Marisa's hitbox is 3.5 pixels in radius, Reimu's is 2 (!!!). Reimu needs to eat more, she's clearly not energetic enough for this crap anymore.

You sure? I find it hard to believe that Reimu's hitbox is nearly half the size.. I could have sworn that everyone's was 5 pixels, and Reimu's was 4.

To pretty much everybody in this thread: Don't rage quit. I know you probably don't want to keep that run where you die to Kisume, but if you keep going with "garbage runs" you'll get a lot better, a lot quicker. Really. You've probably heard this point before because seriously, it works. Plus repeating the first two stages of the same game over and over gets boring pretty fast, don'tcha think?

I understand what you're saying, and I believe it, and I actually tell myself that this must be true logically before I ever heard it from anybody (you're the first actually), but...ugh. Every time I die too early in a run. My hand hits escape down z faster than I've ever deathbombed successfully. Sometimes I even tell myself "I can die in the first bullet and I wont quit or restart"...and well, I really mean it, and even when I die I mea...shit.. I didn't mean to do that. It's like a super sub-conscious reflex. It's programmed in my brain ahead of breathing and blinking... *cries*.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »
If you want numbers, Marisa is 5 pixels/second unfocused and Reimu is 4.5p/s unfocused
PFFFFFFF-
px / frame. Now I'm trying to imagine pixels / second  :derp:

You sure? I find it hard to believe that Reimu's hitbox is nearly half the size.. I could have sworn that everyone's was 5 pixels, and Reimu's was 4.
It is hard to believe. But, now go back to all those moments you got hit by a bullet when you used Marisa all because you didn't move that extra pixel or two.

Ok, so I don't really have a routine with regard to when I start playing. But I do have a large tendency to just start playing after waking up, or after a shower.

Routine while playing varies, from restarting on Stage 1 to persisting through until the last hit. Depends on what I'm doing really.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:48:37 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
PFFFFFFF-
px / frame. Now I'm trying to imagine pixels / second  :derp:
Reimu in EoSD.

It feels like it when EoSD was the last Windows game you've tried, anyway :3
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
*loads up UFO*

*Reimu A, easy*

*die on 5th level about 37 times*

*switch to Sanae A/B  easy*

*die on 5th level even more times*

*switch to IN*

*Any team, Hard Mode*

*1CC*

Every day. Every freakin' day. I know Imperishable Night's easy, but is UFO really that much harder?

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
I always start with the Extra Stage whenever I open any of the games (except the PC-98s, where I only have MS Extra unlocked). It just feels weird if I start with anything else.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 05:58:18 AM »
1) Do random stuff on Normal on any game, with a preference to UFO, IN, and PCB.
2) Accomplish 1ccs on Normal using various challenges for no reason, such as scoring, No Focus capture of Murasa's survival, using Marisa B in UFO, no vertical/no focus captures of Demon's Recitation...

I do really weird stuff in the middle of runs for no reason.

空SoraのNo鏡Kagami

• Wolven Wind Warrior of the West (That's catchy)
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 02:05:52 AM »
1) Atleast 3 Extra run in Embodiment of Scarlet Hair
2) Start on Lunatic (Usually playing EoSD (Coincidence? tell me))
3)Work my way down to normal (Working on 1CC)

And there ya' go  :V
Me: Rapture is comin'
Person: OMG WHEN!
Me: Naow, APOCALYPSE SIGN "RAPTURE"!