Author Topic: Starcraft 2! (Also the Blizzard Goes To Hell thread)  (Read 45079 times)

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: Starcraft 2!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »
Watermelonz -> Chou.watermelonz

I'm so in love with the map editor right now.

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
Hahaha, me and my friend just cheezed our way to Gold 2v2.

Now we are gonna get totally owned because we don't have actual strategies.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 11:56:25 PM »
So I just got the beta and I'm getting my ass kicked. I've lost most of the matches, on the bright side I just won a game with training just  a single marine. My ID is Skye.sskye

By the way, what is the name left of the arrow for? I haven't seen that when I created my account or when I added friends.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »
So how 'bout that Roach nerf? :V

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 03:43:18 AM »
So how 'bout that Zerg nerf? :V
There we go.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »
Let's talk about odd or stupid things we've seen our opponents do.

I was in that lava land map as Terran vs. Terran. That place is one of the maps were Reaper harass can be really useful so I build near my base so my Marines will be waiting there for them. By the time I get one Marine out, I send him to the enemy base to annoy his SCVs. But by the time he gets to the ramp, ten SCVs come charging down and start drilling his ass. I thought 'What? Did he already build an expansion?' so I scan the gold expansion area cause that was where I saw the SCVs head to. But what I see there is not a new expansion but his main base flying past it. Then all of his SCVs arrive at my base but they get killed by my 4 Marines so they retreat. Then he lands his base right next to mine so I start attacking it. Then he sends his SCVs to defend it but I destroy the rest of them then finish off the base. I still have no idea what that guy was trying to accomplish.

EDIT: I just watched the replay of it, he was trying to build a Planetary Fortress after landing the thing at my base. Since I saw it coming I was able to destroy it about 5 seconds before it finished.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:30:04 AM by Skye »

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 04:23:09 AM »
Let's see...  The only really stupid thing I remember was when I was playing against this Zerg player as Protoss.  I teched hard early game and saw no sign of him or his overlords until I got my first Void Ray out.  I literally had two Zealots as defense the entire time and when I started to scout with my Ray, I saw 87 bajillion Roaches and Zerglings at the bottom of the ramp that leads to his base.  I started pumping more Rays out and even managed to get a Carrier after a minute.  Still no sign of him attacking or anything.  I still saw him building Roaches nonstop even thought it was fairly obvious that I was going air.  I harassed his base with a handful of Rays and a Carrier and the guy ended up leaving.  I should point out that even if I had 20 Rays at the time, he could have steamrolled me with his Roaches and Lings and ended the game before I did any significant damage to his base.  The replay showed me that he had a very solid build order, but just a simple lack of common sense.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
I'm still terrible at this game  :]

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
BETA ENDS MAY 31st :ohdear:

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
BETA ENDS MAY 31st :ohdear:
You can't go saying things like that without providing a source :ohdear:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Damn, I'll need to get a lot of playtime in then. I've barely done any playing.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
Damn it, I've only play 8 matches so far.

Ah well, I least I can still mess around with the map editor.

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
So, to those who've been playing this thing... I LOVED the original. Do you recommend me to preorder this one too or is it affected by the "sympthoms of this era" (can't explain it, mainly the terrible voice acting like the farting zerglings and annoying Queen Bitch*  I've been hearing about and the "imba" issues)? I'm tempted to pick the LE just because it comes with the original game+expansion in a flash drive so even if it sucks balls I can go back to the original.  :V

*Long live the Overmind, nothing compares to that imposing eye+creepy voice. Oh, and the High Templars. "I HEED THY CALLLL". Those red eyes were nightmare inducing.

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
You're not going to get SC2 because it's "imba"?  You do realize it took about 2 years for SC:BW to become balanced and that was less because of Blizzard patching and more that the metagame developed enough for each matchup.  Terran was considered worthless until Boxer developed the bunker rush strategy, and PvZ was considered heavily Zerg favored until the amazing Bisu vs Savior play in '07.

SC2 is amazing.  Even if the base game ends up sucking for a while the UMS half has been expanded greatly and there's already some insane maps being developed for it.  SC2 is basically going to be THE mod platform for a good while.

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »
You're not going to get SC2 because it's "imba"?  You do realize it took about 2 years for SC:BW to become balanced and that was less because of Blizzard patching and more that the metagame developed enough for each matchup.  Terran was considered worthless until Boxer developed the bunker rush strategy, and PvZ was considered heavily Zerg favored until the amazing Bisu vs Savior play in '07.

SC2 is amazing.  Even if the base game ends up sucking for a while the UMS half has been expanded greatly and there's already some insane maps being developed for it.  SC2 is basically going to be THE mod platform for a good while.
No, not for the "imba" =P Sometimes brains and clever tactics can counter that (sometimes). If anything, lame voice acting or terrible pathfinding would discourage me a bit.

What had me worried the most was, indeed, the modding capabilities and perhaps the system specs, though the game appears to be accessible and might not kill my comp on sight. It's been years since the last time I tried Starcraft or Warcraft III for that matter so I don't know how things evolved.

But if I'm guaranteed mods and stuff then I'm more than happy! I loved to make campaigns for Starcraft and if I can do the same in this one with the flashy graphics and complex trigger systems, then I'm in.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/tetris-shmups-and-shooters-the-best-of-starcraft-2-maps.ars

This is only what people have done with a beta version of the game and map editor, and only a select few.  Wait until the game goes retail.

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/tetris-shmups-and-shooters-the-best-of-starcraft-2-maps.ars

This is only what people have done with a beta version of the game and map editor, and only a select few.  Wait until the game goes retail.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- TOUHOU IN STARCRAFT?

Say no more. Preordering now. That was it! That's the kind of thing that convinces me and why I love mods :derp:

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
It's the world editor on roids.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »
New patch incoming, though it's not downloading yet.

I wanna see how horrible I can do in 4v4.

EDIT: There has been major changes. And it seems all player data has been deleted. So all of our achievements are gone. And adding friend is now by battle.net email, facebook, or right0clicking their name in score screen, ladder screen, etc. You can't just add them by simply writing their name.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:50:22 AM by Admiral Skye »

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
Just a curiosity, is the gameplay as APM-centric as before?

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
I think so, you have to constantly do stuff otherwise the opponent is going to out-tech and out-build you. It has happened to me many times.

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 03:10:09 PM »
4v4. I might actually have a chance of winning then. Yes, I completely suck at this.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Thanks, Activision!

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
It's confirmed, you will HAVE to buy a separate client for each region.  It's not against the TOS to have multiple clients, but you will have to buy a US client to get on the US servers and visa versa.  This shit is retarded.

There are many Europeans that have loads of American friends, and have a problem finding matches with Americans. I know you've already promised to bridge this divide...

[Bob Colayco: That's not the case.]

No, it'll be structured very similarly to World of Warcraft, where you've got the European region and players matched against the other players within their region.

[BC: We haven't promised anything like that. That's something we'll look into, but I just wanted to jump in and clarify that.]

But you're not excluding the possibility ? you're just saying there are no current plans for it?

There are no current plans for it, and if you're a European player and you've got friends that are in another region that you want to be able to connect with, we definitely want to support that. It might mean that you have to access it through the US client, but those facilities will definitely be available in terms of, if you want the US client, go to the US website, download the US client.

So I can use my same account?

No.

So I need to buy two clients, that's what you're saying?

Yeah.

But I can have two of them in my Battle.net account?

You'd have an EU Battle.net account, and a US Battle.net account.

And that wouldn't be against the Terms of Service or End User License Agreement?

No. I'm pretty sure that's not against the TOS or EULA, but you'd be subject to the terms of the EULA for the region in which you're playing.

Ugh.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
I'm trying to think of a witty comment for this but there are literally no words.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
Next we'll see micro payments for flaming decals for all Terran units like the Hellions have in the campaign, or have the Protoss units be made of stars

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
I don't care, I'm getting it for the singleplayer because my connection is too slow to play online, and even if I did want to play online all my other friends that want it also live in the US :V