Author Topic: Golden sun thread  (Read 6138 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Golden sun thread
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
Someone mentioned Golden sun 3 coming out at E3 in the E3 thread, which was good news for me. Seems like there are alot of Golden Sun fans on these forums.

While I think the game is fun as a whole, one thing kinda bugged me about it was the djinn system. I mean, I've read some faqs and guides that think the best setup is dual and triple classes for each character. However, I personally felt that the best setup was clearly Isaac/felix with 8 earth, Garet/uhh..Whats her face with full fire, Mia/other guy with full water, etc.

It just seemed like you had the best passive stats when you did this, and the spells seemed fine as well. Not only that but your magic power was highest like this, causing your heals and such to be more effective.

Now there MIGHT be 1 or 2 setups that are as good, or maybe even better (I still don't think so though) than the basic one, but I just felt like there was so much potential with this system, and it was mostly garbage.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Golden sun thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
I thought just giving each person their own element Djinni was boring. I like mixing it up to come up with different classes. The single element classes may have had some good stats and such, but some of the others just had better spells and techs.

A lot of the spells on the single classes were really expensive as well, and in the end the only thing worth having is a Mia/Pierre with good healing and an Ivan/Sheba with good magic. Isaac/Felix and Garet/Jenna were just good for melee. They got the weapons with the best and most damaging specials, and if I remember correctly, the single element classes weren't the best for attacking stats.

At any rate, I absolutely loved the Golden Sun games. It had some freaking amazing music for GBA games, it sounded just like it could have been from a console game. That's pretty impressive for a GBA game. It also had a really great looking battle system.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
I thought just giving each person their own element Djinni was boring. I like mixing it up to come up with different classes. The single element classes may have had some good stats and such, but some of the others just had better spells and techs.

A lot of the spells on the single classes were really expensive as well, and in the end the only thing worth having is a Mia/Pierre with good healing and an Ivan/Sheba with good magic. Isaac/Felix and Garet/Jenna were just good for melee. They got the weapons with the best and most damaging specials, and if I remember correctly, the single element classes weren't the best for attacking stats.

At any rate, I absolutely loved the Golden Sun games. It had some freaking amazing music for GBA games, it sounded just like it could have been from a console game. That's pretty impressive for a GBA game. It also had a really great looking battle system.

Yeah I really liked the music myself. I found single elementing to be fairly boring too, but seems like it has the best combination of both spells and stats at least until you can get like 6+ per character, (multi-elements when you don't have everything is definately waker imo). So by that point I just kinda got used to it.

I'm currently playing GS 1 and I'm literally forcing myself to multi element as much as possible, and it really feels like I'm gimping myself. As for Isaac and Garrat having weak spells, I personally found ragnarok to be massively powerful, don't remember if garret had an equivilent to be honest.. It was expensive though, but meh, you regen pp between battles anyway in that game so I never really had psipoint issues.

Still though I haven't tried it as much as some other people so I could be wrong (I keep trying to try it, honest!)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:18:39 AM »
ISAAC X FELIX OTP
On a more serious note, I'm pretty excited to see GS DS, specially since that big cliffhanger ending GS 2 had.

And well, maybe the weak spells you have is due to the Djinn you have, since there's a lot of crappy setups even with all of them. I remember my party having three elements each, but it was so awesome, everyone and their mother had a nuke spell of some kind.

Also, the DS version HUST have remixes of the old battle themes. Pretty much the first GBA game that I liked to play with headphones.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:13:16 AM »
ISAAC X FELIX OTP
On a more serious note, I'm pretty excited to see GS DS, specially since that big cliffhanger ending GS 2 had.
Not so much a cliffhanger as it was unfinished.
Spoiler:
Sheba's origins weren't fully explained, for starters.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
Not so much a cliffhanger as it was unfinished.
Spoiler:
Sheba's origins weren't fully explained, for starters.
I say unfinished. I mean, after the last battle I was
Spoiler:
OMG THE ULTIMATE POWER WAS RELEASED!!!111eleven!
and suddenly THE END.

Pretty cliffhanger-ish to me.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:34:31 AM »
Best configuration was the earth and fire Adepts, two Masters, two Paladins.  Paladins are damn near unkillable, have great offense and party heals, and Masters are blindingly fast and have even more ridiculous attack.  Sure, you never summoned, but you didn't need to.  Thrashed anything not named Dullahan.

Also, yes, these games are awesome and Sol Sanctum is one of the best tracks EVER COMPOSED BY ANYONE FOR ANYTHING, it is that good, DO NOT ARGUE, YOU WILL BE WRONG.  GS3 fills me with gleeeeeeeeeee.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:38 AM »
I typically just swapped the Earth and Water Djinn on two characters, to give me two attackers and two healers. Not the best setup, but it works.

And Dullahan? Spam the heck out of him with summons if you're lazy. =P

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:05:20 AM »
Best configuration was the earth and fire Adepts, two Masters, two Paladins.  Paladins are damn near unkillable, have great offense and party heals, and Masters are blindingly fast and have even more ridiculous attack.  Sure, you never summoned, but you didn't need to.  Thrashed anything not named Dullahan.

Also, yes, these games are awesome and Sol Sanctum is one of the best tracks EVER COMPOSED BY ANYONE FOR ANYTHING, it is that good, DO NOT ARGUE, YOU WILL BE WRONG.  GS3 fills me with gleeeeeeeeeee.

aye, I really liked that track above the others too. Kinda a shame they re-used alot of the tracks in golden sun 2, but that one only got used for like 1 room.. booo.

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:51:01 AM »
And Dullahan? Spam the heck out of him with summons if you're lazy. =P
DAEDALUS SPAM
Enjoy doing summon level damage 2/3 of the battle.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:52:06 AM »
And the epic ending, of course.  Watching
Spoiler:
Alex with all his "ULTIMATE POWAH" getting knocked around by the Wise One like a catnip-dipped mouse
while that was playing...good times.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »
Damn i waited for ages for this game it was amazing the second game i even brought the guide book but i didn't play the first game  :(
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »
Since it appears to be a continuation,
Spoiler:
I wonder where they put New Vale.  I doubt they'd want to stick around near the crater Mt. Aleph's become, and it's unlikely those who lived there would want to go to another town.

I always thought Sheba
Spoiler:
came from the Moon, aka that massive crater next to Contigo.  Think we're going there this time around?

I hope we get tri- and quad-element summons this time around.

My only real concerns is the possibility of it being a DSi exclusive game.  Sure, we have not yet seen any realistic probability of it requiring the camera (or the DSi's other attendant features), but still.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 07:54:55 AM »
Since it appears to be a continuation,
Spoiler:
I wonder where they put New Vale.  I doubt they'd want to stick around near the crater Mt. Aleph's become, and it's unlikely those who lived there would want to go to another town.

I always thought Sheba
Spoiler:
came from the Moon, aka that massive crater next to Contigo.  Think we're going there this time around?

I hope we get tri- and quad-element summons this time around.

My only real concerns is the possibility of it being a DSi exclusive game.  Sure, we have not yet seen any realistic probability of it requiring the camera (or the DSi's other attendant features), but still.
I doubt that but it probably has extra contents if you have a DSi
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"