Author Topic: Awesome RPGs  (Read 39965 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Awesome RPGs
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »
Black/Matrix 00.
Shining Force Feathers.

You dogs need to play these.

Finished.

Go play Beyond the Beyond like a man

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
    • Monkey's Forest... lulz
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
Finished.

Go play Beyond the Beyond like a man
I would, if my psone is still working. But sadly it doesn't anymore. :'(

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
I would, if my psone is still working. But sadly it doesn't anymore. :'(

you don't have a ps2 or ps3? *gasp*.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
you don't have a ps2 or ps3? *gasp*.
Definitely do not have a ps3. On the other hand, my ps2 couldn't play a psone game.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
Definitely do not have a ps3. On the other hand, my ps2 couldn't play a psone game.

wtf. My ps2 can play psone games fine, and I thought they were all capable of doing it. Boo-urns for you. There IS the memory card problem where you still need a ps1 memory card for the ps2 though. Sucks cuz my ps1 memory card died.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »
lol. Psone memory card are cheap these days.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
lol. Psone memory card are cheap these days.

They are completely unavailable where I live though, unless you buy them used, which I don't want to do seeing as it just might die too in a week.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »
Well, that's too bad.
There are quite a few new ones sold around the local gamestore, here. About 3 buck each iirc.

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
My PS2 doesn't even play PS2 games. <_<
I have to slot disks in and out more times than i want to for it to work. And it's not disk-read errors, it's hardware.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
DREs would be caused by the hardware, yes

Elixir

• I am an insufferable jerk.
    • タンブルウィード
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:04 AM »
I don't know much about PS2 HDDs but if your laser is fucked and you really want to save the PS2, there's always that road.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
Legend of Heroes. I'd like to see a translation of the PC games.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Baldurs Gate 2 :V

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »
I don't know much about PS2 HDDs but if your laser is fucked and you really want to save the PS2, there's always that road.
I don't have an HDD, and I don't think they work that way unfortunately ;_;

I'll just hold out for a new PS2 (or wait for someone to give me another free one lol)
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
Baldurs Gate 2 :V
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Awesome, especially with the expansion.

Knights in the Nightmare is turning out awesomely.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 07:24:55 AM »
Even though it's based on a franchise, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a pretty good RPG, it has good variety of skills and what not. Plus the extra part that lets you play as villians for a moment was is fun because I love controlling the Balrog. Hey Gandalf. What was that about "you shall not pass."

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
Even though it's based on a franchise, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a pretty good RPG, it has good variety of skills and what not. Plus the extra part that lets you play as villians for a moment was is fun because I love controlling the Balrog. Hey Gandalf. What was that about "you shall not pass."
I personally disliked that RPG. It was too bland.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 08:47:01 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare is turning out awesomely.
It's innovative, and awesome indeed.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
I picked up Knights in the nightmare just yesterday, gave it a bit of a go.
I don't see how it's so terribly complicated so far. Seems rather unusual that you can't move your knights around, but whatever. I'm also not a big fan of the only 1 save feature (I have a brother that will wanna try the game too). But as far as I can tell the game seems good so far.

My first strengthen item with a 98.7% chance to succeed failed.. typical for me. Why am I cursed...whyy.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
Anything involving danmaku is probably going to give you raaaaaaaaaage. Me, I'm not too interested in KitN. (lol, KitteN)

SMT Devil Survivor is coming out this day next week. I can't wait. =3

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
Played it more. at scene 12 or something now.. Seriously.  It's not complicated at all. what's not to understand? If you really don't know something regarding the game pm me or something and I'll try and respond back what you're screwing up if you like.

My only problem is that the so-called affinities for transouls do not seem to make a diff half the time. Bonn to moira was good, as is annalot (or whatever her name is) to fredrich (or whatever his name is, her dad). But other than that, other supposed affinities are complete sidegrades (law up, chaos down an equal amount, vit unchanged for example).. That and loyalty doesn't seem to go up w hen in combat like people say. Neither of these features should make a significant impact on your ability to play the game much though.

Anyway, anybody play the arc the lad series? I'm midway thru 2 (stopped playing for awhile cuz of Touhou lol), and find it to be pretty good. I really don't like how your party size is capped at 5 when you had like 8 in 1 though. Boo. Especially since chongoga was such an innovative (For the genre) character, and he pretty much got shot to hell in 2.

Rufo

• そーなのかー
  • Simply Simple
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 12:33:36 AM »
I'd say anything made by Nippon Ichi or ATLUS(such as SMT) are pretty awesome in my book.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »
ZOMG I forgot to mention a very little known rpg that is simply amazing.. There's a catch though. It's an old (system 7ish) mac game. But really, it's amazing.
The Odyssey - The legend of Nemesis.

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »
The Witcher

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 05:37:43 AM »
Anyway, anybody play the arc the lad series? I'm midway thru 2 (stopped playing for awhile cuz of Touhou lol), and find it to be pretty good. I really don't like how your party size is capped at 5 when you had like 8 in 1 though. Boo. Especially since chongoga was such an innovative (For the genre) character, and he pretty much got shot to hell in 2.

Chongara was interesting. Kelack is still however the best thing ever.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 06:20:42 AM »
Does Tosh ever become.. well.. not god in arc 2? I transferred my save from arc 1 to 2, and to be honest I'm pretty sure it didn't really buff my characters much because I beat the game at a pretty low level overall. For example, on the first levle where you play arc, tosh, and uhh.. (popo? I forget lol), the grim reaper dudes were able to cast "ahhahah I'm higher level than you so my death spell works" on me >=P...all except kukuru that is, who was ungodly high level...Which sucks since she's the only character that doesn't seem to transfer over.

ANYWAY, despite not being higher level than anybody, my tosh in arc 2 hits for like 200-400, where my other "fighters" hit for like 80 (arc, gruga, shu, elc, ect). The funny thing is that relic he has says "ups counter damage", yet when I take it off, his counter damage stays the same, but his regular attacks do reasonable numbers of 80ish too... So I mean, is it considered cheating to beat the game using tosh with his op relic? or is it considered a given...or do future relics kinda balance out compared to that one.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Does Tosh ever become.. well.. not god in arc 2? I transferred my save from arc 1 to 2, and to be honest I'm pretty sure it didn't really buff my characters much because I beat the game at a pretty low level overall. For example, on the first levle where you play arc, tosh, and uhh.. (popo? I forget lol), the grim reaper dudes were able to cast "ahhahah I'm higher level than you so my death spell works" on me >=P...all except kukuru that is, who was ungodly high level...Which sucks since she's the only character that doesn't seem to transfer over.

ANYWAY, despite not being higher level than anybody, my tosh in arc 2 hits for like 200-400, where my other "fighters" hit for like 80 (arc, gruga, shu, elc, ect). The funny thing is that relic he has says "ups counter damage", yet when I take it off, his counter damage stays the same, but his regular attacks do reasonable numbers of 80ish too... So I mean, is it considered cheating to beat the game using tosh with his op relic? or is it considered a given...or do future relics kinda balance out compared to that one.

Tosh never sucks. Seriously, he is awesome. It's not cheating, the difficulty curve of AtL 2 really spikes. I spent all night trying to defeat the final boss since I was only level 90-ish. :V Also his name is Poco.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »
Been playing 'Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis', and it's pretty good. Item-crafting is decent, though you'll be hurting for certain materials if you're a lazy ass come the endgame ("PENDELOOOOOOOOKS..."), but it's still pretty awesome. The best part is that you can actually fine-tune your materials so that you can give your equipment specific skills and attributes (advice: Don't get the skill Heaven's Gate -- it's useless against bosses, and only deals damage based on a percentage of the victims' HP; not very useful at the part of the game you get it at, better to get elemental attack spells).

It's also got a pretty decent storyline, the option to use either English or Japanese voice acting (there being a bit more of the latter in the game) . . . and some not-half-bad English acting (*used to bad English dubbing, even in good games like Disgaea 2*; also, I think that the English voice for Vayne, the main character, sounds a lot like Akihiko from Persona 3 -- could just be my imagination, though). Also has some good humor AND drama (though some of the content HONESTLY makes me wonder how the hell it managed an 'E 10+' rating -- e.g., Nikki's storyline has her HUSBAND-HUNTING, with the intent of having a large family; that very premise ALONE . . . and let's not forget Jess/Philo, girl who has a penchant for explosions and has only years left to live, and of course the main storyline ITSELF -- you'll see when you get into the endgame). Yeah; I recommend it highly.

I've also been playing Persona 3 lately, currently being frustrated by Nata-Taishi (only to learn that you DO need an item to fuse her and thus all of my hard work raising personae was . . . well, not QUITE for nothing; got a really good offensive fighter AND Black Frost in the process) and the latest Master of Tartarus (3 Knight enemies; Block 4). I also have an innate hatred of anything with Hama as of late (Lilim is currently my main magic-user/attacker, having all 4 normal elements covered plus a Mazio and a Mudo). Ah, well. c'est la vie.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:58 AM »
the ultima series deserves a mention (except ultima 9).

i found it on a mysterious disk about 10 years ago, while looking for stuff.
i still don't know where that disk came from.

anyway, ultima 7 (both parts, expansion packs included) was in the disk. it was very old, even for that time, i decided to play it...it was the best RPG i had played and is still among my favorites (although it is not playable in modern computers, not without downloading some stuff anyway)

i was simply amazed, in a game older than me, people had schedules! they went to sleep, they went to the pub to eat and the game simply felt ALIVE because of that and more.

you had to EAT in the game, and could sleep to pass time, there was a day-night cycle, you could buy ships and carts, you were free to explore many areas (after passing a copy-protection test), the game world and everything in it was finely crafted and well thought out.

(and think, this game is from 1992-1993)

i simply cannot describe all of the awesomeness that took hold of me.

ultima 4 (from 1985) can now be legally downloaded. while it lacks some of the awesome things described above, it is still pretty fun for those who don't care about the graphics (remember, these games are incredibly old).

seriously, there isn't even a main bad guy in ultima 4, all you had to do was to be good! set an example to the people (but that doesn't mean that there aren't dungeons to explore and monsters to kill) and recover the codex of ultimate wisdom from the Stygian abyss.

i actually consider it better than many modern RPGs I've played.

some links to read at your leisure:

ultima 4 wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_4
ultima 7 wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_7
why ultima 9 doesn't live up to the others.
http://hacki.bootstrike.com/english/nitpicks_u9.htm

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »
I will give a cookie to anyone else on the forum who owned, played and adored the super-rare Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn. The first RPG I ever played through completely, and I still have fond memories of it today.

Tales of Symphonia was the next RPG to knock me for six, followed by Disgaea. Persona 3 was incredible, but I couldn't get into 4 (main complaint is that character development is practically 'here's your character, BOOM massive psychological problem that screws up their life, BOOM Shadow fight, BOOM everything's resolved'). For handheld consoles I'd recommend Riviera for GBA/PSP and TWEWY (of course).

Currently slowly falling in love with Tales of Vesperia. Karol and Raven are clearly the greatest RPG characters of all time.