Author Topic: Awesome RPGs  (Read 39972 times)

Drake

Re: Awesome RPGs
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 02:15:14 AM »
Why hasn't the Tales series been mentioned before just now.

Go get dem games

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
Good question. I played Tales of Symphonia 1. Pretty cool game.

FallenAngelV

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
I will give a cookie to anyone else on the forum who owned, played and adored the super-rare Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn. The first RPG I ever played through completely, and I still have fond memories of it today.

Owned it, played it, adored it. On my first playthrough I was some ridiculous level like 55 by the first Azel fight (end of Disc 1), because I got the 'demo' with Sega Saturn Magazine and played it compulsively while waiting for the full release.

On the subject of Saturn RPGs, Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force III (SRPG) are both awesome.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 12:33:15 PM »
On the subject of Saturn RPGs, Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force III (SRPG) are both awesome.
Okay, for playing Shining Force III as well you get a second cookie.

It really irritated me when I found out that we only ever got one third of the game, though. >_>

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
I'm kind of digging around for any decent PSP RPGs...Any ideas?

Herasy

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:57 AM »
I hear Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty good on the PSP, I enjoyed the one on DS even if it was a bit simple.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 05:30:52 AM »
I hear Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty good on the PSP, I enjoyed the one on DS even if it was a bit simple.
Alas, I could not find it when I went to GameStop. =( A couple of Atlus' RPGs enticed me, but I wasn't willing to take a chance.

Drake

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 06:02:44 AM »
what are you talking about there was never a second silly

i mean gee i hope namco makes a sequel to the first game

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
I'm currently replaying valkarie profile 2 atm, and I must say that it is high on the awsome-o-meter. 1 is too apparently though I've never managed to get a hold of it still *sigh*...curse me not getting a ps until like 3 years after t he ps2 was released lol.

About FFT for GBDS.. I don't think you  mean that "FFTA2" one do you? I got that one, and well.. to be frank it sucks so far >=\.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
This is an interesting game because I just bought my first RPG PC game yesterday - Fallout 3. Was one helluva quest in itself just getting it to run in WINE. I've only just started it (gotten out of the vault, on a quest to find that one kid's father) and I can see what the hype's about. It's the kind of game that draws you in, where you could easily waste hours at a time playing it. So yeah, maybe not the most original recommendation, but Fallout 3 lives up to the hype anyway.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
Fallout 3 is a dissapointment for me actually. I can see how it's a quality game in itself sure. But the problem is it dissapoints me with what I'd expect in a fallout game.

Fallout, imo, isn't just a post-nuclear apocolyptic rpg game. IMO an even bigger definition of what made Fallout unique was its very VERY in-dept character generation/customization/development. All those skills, stats, perks, etc.

Fallout 3 pretends to use the same system to a certain degree. But in reality alot of them are kind of wasted.. Here's one example

Agility in fallout has always been about action points (and other things too but action points being the biggie), in fallout 3, you play in real time most of the time, so this aspect of agility is wasted, to make matters worse it doesn't affect your run speed. and should you enter that mode (I forget what it's called, the one that is turn-based), it gives you more action points THERE, but that's just the stockpile you begin with..which is like 3 shots and you're out. After which you are FORCED to enter real time mode again because you'll be stuck at 0 action points while the enemy seems to have no concept of action points shooting away at you... Fail.

I haven't played Fallout 3 since like 2 weeks of it being released, I do intend to beat it eventually because I am interested in the story/immersian qualities of the game. But really, when I buy a fallout game, I expect the combat mechanics to try and be as advanced as it once was. I was even willing to compromise for the real time FPS thing, but the fact is they really had no desire to make it feel similar imo.. Perception for example, doesn't increase your accuracy, there is no stat that seems to govern recoil (I don't think anyway), etc.

Kinda like if they made a new valkarie profile for the ps3, you would expect the combat to be like it was in the other games, and that you could break body parts. It's a given, or it's not valkarie profile. If you get a new gradius game, you can expect them to have options in it, etc.

Tengukami

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
Having not played Fallout 2, I had nothing else to judge Fallout 3 by, except maybe 3D FPSs like Assault Cube, which is still nothing like it. So I guess I had no room for disappointment. Might try Fallout 2 later on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »
Having not played Fallout 2, I had nothing else to judge Fallout 3 by, except maybe 3D FPSs like Assault Cube, which is still nothing like it. So I guess I had no room for disappointment. Might try Fallout 2 later on.
curse you, guess my pm was a waste lol.

Fallout 1 and 2 were really defined imo by the complex and intricate turn based combat system...which is unusual for an RPG. I mean imagine playing a new armored core game where there is no selection of body parts, generators, radiators, cores, radars, etc.. It'd be "wtf".... Mind you you prob never played armored core >=P.

Anyway. If anybody has played Fallout 3 more recently, did they improve the vats mode in the game? Last I checked it seemed like a gimmick more than anything, you could begin a fight using it, but afterwards you're a sitting duck unless you go back into real time mode. Improving that alone would go along way into making this game desireable to play again for me.

Tengukami

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
I'll say in this thread, for the benefit of others reading, what I said in PM:

VATS has the limitation of getting 3 shots in before reverting to regular combat. This, to me, is fine, because honestly using VATS feels like an unfair advantage unless I'm trying to shoot a Raider who's sniping at me from a vantage point. And once VATS ends, you can keep fighting as you normally would - you don't need to wait while your enemy keeps whooping your ass. Not sure about the action points. You're also told ahead of time what chances you have at making a strike at this or that particular part of the enemy's body, which is pretty helpful.

Herasy

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »
Wait, I'm fairly certain how many shots you get in VATS depends on what weapon you are holding, how many action points you have (agility), your skill with the weapon you are holding and any added status effects you are inflicted with at the time. Pretty sure you can have more than 3 shots in VATS if you have the right stats (or wielding a light weapon).

*EDIT*
Oh and good luck with the quest to find the kids father, those fire ants are mean little bastards.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:11:45 PM by Herasy »

Tengukami

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
Wait, I'm fairly certain how many shots you get in VATS depends on what weapon you are holding, how many action points you have (agility), your skill with the weapon you are holding and any added status effects you are inflicted with at the time. Pretty sure you can have more than 3 shots in VATS if you have the right stats (or wielding a light weapon).

I'm sure you're right - I've only been playing for a few hours. Just got me a shotgun! Aw yeah.

*EDIT*
Oh and good luck with the quest to find the kids father, those fire ants are mean little bastards.

So I gathered. This is why I spend a lot of time talking to everyone I meet. I know at least where on the fire ants I'm supposed to aim.

One other thing I like is how the baseball bat is the iconic weapon here. Something really satisfying about the sound it makes when it cracks a ghoul's head open.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »

...Okay, I'll take note of this. Thanks for the warning.

In other news why the hell do Tales games always fake out their endings so much? It gets to the point where you know that the first three times your party says 'Alright guys, this is the final battle' they're dead wrong.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

*EDIT*

point is your action points do not regenerate after they are spent at the same rate as your enemies' do. even if your agility stat is maxxed out and you're using a handgun... Not to mention the effectiveness of some stats (such as agility) is way unbalanced due to how unimportant they become due to the nature of being ported to a real time first person shooter.

I'm not saying the game sucks or anything. It's just not even close to the previous fallouts mechanic wise.. which is fine if they bothered to re-evaluate the stats of your characters. But they try and make it look the same by still having all the exact same stats, skills, and even most of the perks...Many of which just plain don't work in a real time fps situation.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2009, 02:25:42 AM »
About FFT for GBDS.. I don't think you  mean that "FFTA2" one do you? I got that one, and well.. to be frank it sucks so far >=\.
FFTA2 = teh suxor

FFT I found to be too damn slow, though most people love it anyway.  FFTA was a decent, kiddish SRPG that, while slow, wasn't anywhere near as bad.  FFTA2 is ungodly slow, plagued by horrible gameplay issues, and is so incredibly pathetic in terms of plot and characters it's almost funny, except that it's sad, because I actually played it through.

Speaking of kiddish RPGs, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2 for the GBA were good.  They weren't overwhelmingly mind-blowing, but it combined weapon crafting with a Tales-esque battles system and kiddish but still entertaining plot and characters.  I got through the first one again last week on my DS, and I still enjoy it.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Herasy

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
So I gathered. This is why I spend a lot of time talking to everyone I meet. I know at least where on the fire ants I'm supposed to aim.
Shooting their antenna isn't really all that effective though, mainly because the antenna is very small meaning you will waste lots of ammo trying to hit it and I didn't really see it having all that much of an effect. Apparently it's meant to disorient the ant but it sure didn't stop it from turning me into smoldering ash. I had a harder time killing Fire Ants than Super Mutants!

FFTA2 = teh suxor

While I admit this wasn't the best RPG I've played, it didn't really stop me from completing the main storyline. I don't know what kept my attention, I guess I just liked it's charm and style. Which is strange for me since I don't generally have alot of patience for turn based RPG's.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2009, 05:15:32 AM »
summon night: craftsword monogatari more like lesbians

Drake

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »
I liked FFTA more than FFT.

Kill me.

Tengukami

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »
Shooting their antenna isn't really all that effective though, mainly because the antenna is very small meaning you will waste lots of ammo trying to hit it and I didn't really see it having all that much of an effect. Apparently it's meant to disorient the ant but it sure didn't stop it from turning me into smoldering ash. I had a harder time killing Fire Ants than Super Mutants!

Usually I go for the head. If two or three fire ants are coming at me though, hitting the antenna of one can make it attack the other ant(s), which buys me time. But yeah, shooting the antenna of a fireant in a one-on-one fight won't do much but piss him off.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »

Oh, you're counting Dawn of the New World NOT as a sequel?

Drake

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »

what is this i have never heard of this game before

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
Oh god I love RPGs x_x

among my favourite are Xenogears (PSX), Phantasy Star 4 (Genesis), Shining Force 1 and 2 (Genesis), Shining Force 3 (Saturn), every Final Fantasy =P and obviously Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross..

And i love Guardian Heroes (Saturn), which is a mix of Streets of Rage/Final Fight with RPG elements.. You have HP/MP, can cast spells all while side-scrooling! =)

And in two weeks i'm receiving my Xbox 360 so I'll finally be able to play Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 *____*
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »
Oh god I love RPGs x_x

among my favourite are Xenogears (PSX), Phantasy Star 4 (Genesis), Shining Force 1 and 2 (Genesis), Shining Force 3 (Saturn), every Final Fantasy =P and obviously Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross..

And i love Guardian Heroes (Saturn), which is a mix of Streets of Rage/Final Fight with RPG elements.. You have HP/MP, can cast spells all while side-scrooling! =)

And in two weeks i'm receiving my Xbox 360 so I'll finally be able to play Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4 *____*

zomg I forgot about fantasy star 4. Great game. Only beef with it is the difficulty takes a nosedive into "lol I facerolled and won" mode at the last 1/4 of the game... Let's not even talk about how the only strict healer in the game is the absolute most op healer in rpg history (can regen everyone's skillpoints like 6 times? really?...on addition to his big heals I mean), so even if I choose not to use him for the final dungeon (because doing so feels like cheating he is so good), it's sitll damn easy.. Which is silly cuz early in the game it's definately harder than most, wut.

nm me, it's a great game, I'm just over-critical lol.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »

what is this i have never heard of this game before
OK, NOW it starts getting hilarious...

And once again a topic on MotK gets off-topic!

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »
Oh god I love RPGs x_x

zomg I forgot about fantasy star 4. Great game. Only beef with it is the difficulty takes a nosedive into "lol I facerolled and won" mode at the last 1/4 of the game... Let's not even talk about how the only strict healer in the game is the absolute most op healer in rpg history (can regen everyone's skillpoints like 6 times? really?...on addition to his big heals I mean), so even if I choose not to use him for the final dungeon (because doing so feels like cheating he is so good), it's sitll damn easy.. Which is silly cuz early in the game it's definately harder than most, wut.

nm me, it's a great game, I'm just over-critical lol.

But it's all true.

Raja ruins the game. Ataraxia restores everyone's MP. LOL infinite spells on the last boss. I usually fight the last boss with only 4 chars anyway =p even Gryz makes the game too easy

My fav part is the Air castle because if you're not properly leveled up Xe-A-Thoul and Lashiec are the hardest bosses..
After that the game becomes a total joke, if you ignore the two guardians of the towers in Rykros and sometimes Darkforce inside that tower in Garubek Tower.

Also Zio's battle can be hard if you haven't overleveled on the sandworms (which i always did anyway >_>)

PS4 is easily the game i've finished most times, but it's been at least 10 years i haven't even touched it, weird how i haven't forgotten anyone's names =P
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:13 PM »
OH GOD YES SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT THIS GAME.

Didn't think of mentioning it here since I wasn't sure how far it qualified as an RPG, but I ADORED THIS GAME TOO. I played it so damn much that the case snapped in half.

Too bad the GBA sequel was fucking horrible.