Author Topic: Awesome RPGs  (Read 40208 times)

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
Awesome RPGs
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:50 PM »
What are some recent RPGs that you've played that you feel can be labeled utterly awesome or fun.  Please try to point out lesser known ones, we've already heard about the Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest remakes.

Also, RPG is a loose term, so don't worry about sticking strictly to turn based battles, even if the game is a shooter with RPG elements, that can work.

My personal favorite is Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for the DS.  It's a roguelike of sorts, but it still retains that epic RPG feel as stuff carries over after death and you're traveling the land as more or less, a wanderer.  It has no problems with the idea of kicking your butt and after you beat the game, well... then you get started on the true game with a new 100 floor dungeon as well as a food based dungeon, a trap base dungeon, and a freaking 70 floor expansion to the old dungeon leading to a difficult but fair game with loads and loads of replayability.

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
Re: Awesome RPGs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »
Baten Kaitos Origins is the first game that pops into my head.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:44:52 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare is first one because it is epically beautiful and awesome

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 12:46:28 AM »
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - Endless Frontier, Epic battle system, Epic boobs jokes.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare is first one because it is epically beautiful and awesome

looks cool, might have to give it a go.

My fave rpg series of all time is Lunar: The Silver Star, and Lunar: Eternal blue. They remade them for the psx as you all probably know. I still favor my original Eternal blue more than the remake though. Silver star was a better remake imo.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11:21 AM »
Fallout 3 and Oblivion are one of the best RPGs in the world and also Fable 2 is the simplest and one of the best but in a different way from F3 or Ob
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JOCPMklqmI&feature=channel_page
I haven't actually played it, but being the Gamefreak fanboy that I am, I think it's awesome and that it should have a fan translation by now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:14:32 AM by Chainsaw Guitar »

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »
THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU.

FABLE.

Nuff said.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
TWEWY was surprisingly good, one of the better "recent" games to come out.
(I say surprisingly because judging from its marketing one would believe the game is concentrated weeaboo bait with ridiculous controls.)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
TWEWY is one of the best games evar.

Also, Terranigma.  Anyone who hasn't played it needs to get the hell out of the thread and come back once they have.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
TWEWY was surprisingly good, one of the better "recent" games to come out.
(I say surprisingly because judging from its marketing one would believe the game is concentrated weeaboo bait with ridiculous controls.)

TWEWY is GOTY
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Disgaea.  That is all.

Also, Battle Moon Wars is pretty damn awesome.  It's the only game where you can have a psychotic maid dope up Fem!King Arthur before she obliterates Getter Robo with a giant sword laser (among other things), and that's got to count for something.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Gambit

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
I haven't played it much, but Rudra No Hihou is pretty good and has some of the best boss music to come from the snes era. Also Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a great strategy rpg.

Maid Xan~

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
I haven't played it much, but Rudra No Hihou is pretty good and has some of the best boss music to come from the snes era.

This. More people need to play it. Bloody hard, though.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
basically any game that is released by Atlus is awesome in some aspect imho..

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
I haven't played it much, but Rudra No Hihou is pretty good and has some of the best boss music to come from the snes era. Also Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a great strategy rpg.

Haven't heard of rudra no hihou. I have knight of lodis though. I personally felt it as being ok only. Compared to the ogre battle series (which is omgwtfpwn imo), it was a dissapointment. I'd have to say the music felt pretty darn weak too. Not very important to the game but I really hate final bosses whose difficulty revolve around status ailments. *shudders at "protect doas" or whatever its name is from lufia and the fortress of doom*.

Yes I know where are often artifacts or relics or rings or whatever that prevent such things, but I always tell myself to beat a game before reading a guide, and getting all the uber equipment, and all that. So it's normally not an option for me to gear up my entire party with ribbons or whatever.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
Disgaea.  That is all.

Also, Battle Moon Wars is pretty damn awesome.  It's the only game where you can have a psychotic maid dope up Fem!King Arthur before she obliterates Getter Robo with a giant sword laser (among other things), and that's got to count for something.

Of course, you'll only enjoy it half as much if you haven't read pretty much every Nasuverse canon work in existence, seen all the Kara no Kyoukai movies to date, and played Melty Blood.  Super Robot Wars experience not required, but it sure does help.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »
Persona 4, but everyone knows that. Same with Skies of Arcadia and Wild ARMs 3.

Has anyone played Devil Summoner 2? I'm considering buying it.

Slacker

• He's the other ⑨!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

A great RPG with real-time combat, it's a solid game that does nothing game breaking but it's still very impressive to play, definitely a nice change from Final Fantasy.

The game also represents achievements called "battle trophies" which can unlock certain things, some of them are a real nightmare to get.
And it also has a endgame dungeon with over 100 floors for all you dungeon crawler freaks out there.

Also in my book feature's one of the most impressive boss fights I ever fought.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:57:00 PM by Slacker »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Even though it's probably considered mainstream, Tales of Symphonia is an amazing game. You basically get 8 playable characters to mess around with and they all have very different styles of play. It's like an RPG/Fighter mesh up, which is awesome.

Another two that are great are Paper Mario and Paper Mario: TTYD. Sure, they are pretty childish in graphics and dialogue, but they are some of the most fun RPG fights there are. Every move is interactive and you really feel like you're actually fighting instead of just telling your people to do things.

Gambit

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
Haven't heard of rudra no hihou. I have knight of lodis though. I personally felt it as being ok only. Compared to the ogre battle series (which is omgwtfpwn imo), it was a dissapointment. I'd have to say the music felt pretty darn weak too.

I haven't played any of the others in the series so I really wouldn't know how much of a disappointment knight of lodis was and I tend to like certain games more than I should anyway. Definitely agree with you about the music.

I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of rudra no hihou considering it's a pretty obscure rpg from Square that never got released outside of Japan.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:36:47 PM by Gambit »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

It's good. But also hard.

Didn't stop me from finishing it twice though

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:42 AM »
It's good. But also hard.

Didn't stop me from finishing it twice though

hard is good though, especially when it comes to rpgs where difficulty is a concept 99% of them completely lack.. aside from the occasional "you will die in 1 move if you didn't know this in advance" (good example is letting that boss turn you into zombies before casting mega death in ffx).

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:06 AM »
Even though it's probably considered mainstream, Tales of Symphonia is an amazing game. You basically get 8 playable characters to mess around with and they all have very different styles of play. It's like an RPG/Fighter mesh up, which is awesome.

Another two that are great are Paper Mario and Paper Mario: TTYD. Sure, they are pretty childish in graphics and dialogue, but they are some of the most fun RPG fights there are. Every move is interactive and you really feel like you're actually fighting instead of just telling your people to do things.
I am sonicbhoc and I approve of this post.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 02:55:15 AM »
Best RPGs that I have played that kinda hide in plain view are
Grandia Xtreme for it's unique battle system and Dark Cloud 2 for it's
Item building, town building, and poor, yet lulzy voice acting.

Other than that I haven't gotten my hands on any outstanding RPGs lately.
FF12 was a big let down and 13 and 14 don't look like they are going to sweeten the pot.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:58:39 AM by Cadmas »

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:24 AM »
I think Nippon Ichi, Gust, and Atlus R&D1 make the best RPGs, personally.

Though, of course, Xenogears gets an honorable mention as well.

Maid Xan~

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:17 AM »
Persona 4, but everyone knows that. Same with Skies of Arcadia and Wild ARMs 3.

Has anyone played Devil Summoner 2? I'm considering buying it.

ZOMG, TIS LEM!

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:02 AM »
Custom Robo, if only for the battle system, is just one of the best damn games ever.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
    • Monkey's Forest... lulz
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Black/Matrix 00.
Shining Force Feathers.

You dogs need to play these.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche