Author Topic: The Satori Maiden's Christmas Wish  (Read 7578 times)

Matsuri

The Satori Maiden's Christmas Wish
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »
All right, I've had this story planned out for a while now, so I may as well start posting it as I write it.

* Koishi Komatsuri shrugs.

-----

?Hey, Rin??

The pink-haired girl gently stroked the cat on her lap, and listened as her purr broke the near-endless silence in the enormous sitting room of the Palace of Earth Spirits. The cat yawned and stretched. She looked up at the girl. Nothing was said in response, but the girl just closed her eyes, listening for the cat's thoughts.

?Hmm? What is it, Satori?? The cat perked her ears up and flicked her tails around, curious as a cat could be.

?Do you... do you think she'll come back this year?? Satori looked at the calendar on the wall. ?It's almost Christmas again.?

She then looked to the large, empty chair beside her, then to the table that was between the chairs. Upon the table sat an elegant vase, full of red and blue roses, which Satori tended to with all of her heart.

?Maybe! You never know! Just keep waiting for her, okay? I... I know she'll come back one day. I can feel it.? Orin chimed in thought. She nuzzled Satori's hand, hoping to be scratched behind the ears.

Satori, however, frowned. ?You know you don't mean that. It's been ten years, after all. Who knows what she's been doing, where she's been... if she's even okay...?

In one quick motion, the cat hopped off the girl's lap. There was a flash of light, and before she landed on the floor, Orin stood before Satori in her human form. She stretched, and gave her bright red braids a toss.

?Look,? Orin said, adjusting the black ears sticking out from her hair. ?I miss her too, you know. I hope for her return for every second of every minute of every day. Not only do I care about her... but I really can't stand seeing you like this. You haven't smiled once since she left Chireiden. That hurts me too, you know, as someone who is devoted to her master. I can't bear to see you sad.?

?Can you blame me? Aside from you and Okuu, I have no one here. Don't get me wrong, you two are everything to me... but... but she's my sister. I'm sorry, but that's a bond you can't replace. Even if she has run away from us, I can't help but want nothing but for her to come back. I can't stand not seeing her. I can't stand not hearing her voice.?

The kasha sighed and lifted Satori's chin, locking eye contact with her.

?Have a little faith in her, okay? She's your sister. She loves you, even if she has a hard time showing it. You can't break that sort of bond so easily. I have to wonder if it can ever be truly broken at all.?

?You're just as doubtful as I am, no matter how optimistic you talk. I may not be able to sense her mind anymore, but I can certainly read yours like a book. Please don't try to cheer me up with things you don't really mean.?

?That hurts, Satori-sama. I really do mean it. I suppose I do have my doubts, but my intentions are absolutely pure. I miss her. I really, really do. And I miss seeing you smile even more. I can only try so hard to smile for you, even when it hurts. It's the least I can do. It's the most I can do. It's... well, it's all I can do, to try to make you smile.?

Satori closed her eyes tightly as a few tears ran out and landed on her pink skirt. Her third eye stared at the floor as she twirled one of its cords around her finger.

?I'm so sorry, Rin... I know you're trying as hard as you can. I appreciate it, I really do. I just... I just want Koishi to come home...? She grabbed the kasha's hand. ?I can't take this anymore. I can't go on without her. I can't live without her. I just can't. I haven't even sensed her mind in the past decade. It really feels like I'll never, ever see her again. This is... this is agonizing. Does she even realize what she has done to me? Does she care? I j-just... I don't...?

Satori's sentence was cut short by sobbing. Orin sat on the armrest of Satori's chair, and gently pulled her head into her shoulder as she cried.

?Please, Satori. Believe in her. Believe in her for both of our sakes. If you love her, don't you ever give up on her. Even when it's as hard as it is.?

Satori hugged Orin as tightly as she could, burying her face in her shoulder, clutching at her dress, her hands violently trembling, and released ten years' worth of misery from her eyes... as if it could be depleted somehow.

?You're a lot stronger than you think you are, Satori. Something tells me not many people would be as devoted as you are.?

Satori shook her head, soaking Orin's dress even more.

?I-I'm really n-not,? she managed to say in between sobs. ?Koishi was always the one who gave me the strength to carry on. Ever since she left me, you've helped me a lot in that sense-- you really, really have. But it isn't in the same way. You are far stronger than I am.?

?This affects us differently. You know that.?

Satori sighed. ?I don't want to give up on her. I can't give up on her. It's impossible. It's impossible! I know that I need to believe in her, but it's just so hard sometimes! She doesn't want me. She doesn't even want to acknowledge herself. I just... none of it adds up to me.?

?Something tells me that she has her reasons for doing what she does.?

?What reasons? Seeing that I'm hated for who I am, so she decides to run away from who she really is? Damn it, Orin. She's not meant to not feel. She's not meant to not smile, or laugh, or love. She isn't meant to be empty, but she forces herself to be so. She doesn't like feeling new things, or things that are unfamiliar to her... so she shut herself away-- from everyone, including herself.?

Orin ran her fingers through Satori's hair. ?It's late. I think you should rest.? She stretched, and there was another sudden flash of light, and before Satori knew it, Orin's cat form was nuzzling at her feet. ?You can think about this tomorrow, but worrying about it now will not solve anything. Believe in Koishi. Doubting her will only make things worse for the both of you.?

Satori just sat there for a few moments. ?I'm still not sure why I should believe you.? She picked up the cat and walked toward her bedroom. Once she got there, she sat Orin down. Satori pulled off her blue shirt and pink skirt, tossing them lazily onto the floor, and walked to her dresser to find a nightgown to slip on. On top of the dresser was a picture of Satori and Koishi, smiling and laughing, and a small mirror next to it. Satori looked at her tear-stained face for a moment, wishing that she could smile like she did with her sister for even just a moment. She had to at least try. She forced her lips into an upward curve, but it looked nothing like the smile in the picture.

?Absolutely contrived,? the satori girl growled as she sat the mirror down and slipped her nightgown over her head, adjusting her third eye as she did so. She walked to her bed and laid down. Orin hopped up onto the bed and curled up beside her.

Orin yawned and spoke in thought to her master. ?Sweet dreams, Satori. Tomorrow is another day. Another chance. And we'll all keep getting those second chances until the day we die." And with that, the cat fell asleep.

Satori, however, remained awake, staring at the ceiling. ?If you say so.? She closed her eyes and tried to think of something else, in vain. Her mind raced through every memory she spent with her sister. Every happy moment. Every sad moment. Every victory. Every defeat. Now... there was nothing, and there was nothing for nearly a decade. Satori rolled over and buried her face in her pillow, sobbing.

She cried herself to sleep that night.

On the dresser, a picture of two happy sisters placed face-down.

?

Meanwhile, outside Chireiden, Koishi ran through the snow, catching snowflakes on her tongue, heading in no direction in particular. She had no reason for doing so. She had no reason for anything. She simply existed, unnoticed to everyone around her.

A lonely, lonely heart, unable to feel alone.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:01:29 AM by Koishi Komatsuri »

Re: The Satori Maiden's Christmas Wish
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »
This looks pretty nice. Looking forward to more!

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:41:20 AM »
This story is making me sad so far: it's reminding me of how lonely I've been feeling during this year's holiday.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:07:17 AM »
Matsy, I am hoping there's a happy ending to go with this.

My heart is in your hands. ;_;

Azzy

• Can't hear anything but myself
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
I'm really hoping for more! Please let this end well, I wouldn't be able to take it if it didn't :ohdear:

Matsuri

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
Twirl, twirl, twirl. Spin, spin, spin. Hop, hop, hop. Step, step, twirl. Step, step, twirl. The young girl danced along the frozen landscape. She had a smile on her face, but eyes that said nothing at all. Her black hat was speckled with snow, keeping it (for the most part) out of her wavy gray-white hair. She acted without thinking, without feeling. She was alone, but she didn't care. At least, she didn't feel like she did. As if she cared about reason.

Suddenly, she tripped, landing face-first into a snowdrift. She laid there for a moment, to register what exactly had happened, and giggled a bit.

?I fell, but it didn't hurt! This is fun,? she said, speaking to no one but herself. She felt the snow melting on her face, but did not shiver from the cold. One had to wonder if she could feel it or not. After all, she wasn't exactly dressed for the occasion, wearing the yellow shirt and green dress she always wore. If she did, she certainly didn't seem to mind.

She looked around. Fairies were stringing magical colored lights around every tree in the area-- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white. Koishi smiled. ?How pretty,? she thought.

She continued dancing along in blissful aimlessness, admiring the colors and she spun around, not knowing what the next moment had in store for her. She hadn't even noticed that she was so close to home for the first time in ages. She had been everywhere in the past ten years. The elegant-but-somewhat-unsettling Scarlet Devil Mansion, the quiet Hakurei Shrine, among the cherry blossoms of Hakugyokurou. She had even been outside of Gensokyo-- throughout Japan, stowing away on airplanes and ships unnoticed, traveling the world, from North America to South America, all about Africa, exploring Europe and Australia, throughout Asia, and everywhere in between. She carried a bag on her back, filled with souvenirs from wherever she visited. This wandering prodigal child had finally come full circle. She had no plans of stopping, though. She danced on and on, toward unplanned destinations. 

And so she continued to wander, unable to stray from a path that was never set. The constellations sparkled above her, and her footsteps marked the path below her. Step, step, twirl twirl twirl spin...

?

The next day, Satori awoke to an empty room. She must have slept longer than she had expected to-- Orin had already gone to work, gathering corpses in the Hell of Blazing Fires, where her friend and Satori's other pet Utsuho, the yatagarasu, worked to keep the flames regulated and stable. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, yawning.

Satori sighed. ?It feels like every day is the same since you left, Koishi. Quiet. Empty. Cold.? She stood up and stretched as her third eye rolled around in its socket. ?Nothing feels right.?

She walked to her bathroom and looked into the mirror. The night had certainly not done her any favors in that department. She tried to fix the scattered, frizzy mess of hair on her head, but it was to no avail. She sighed, looking at the bags under her eyes, carrying the weight of ten years' misery. She pulled off her nightgown, stepped into the shower and turned the water on, letting it all hit her in the face, as if it could wash away her worries. She washed her face, then leaned her back on the wall, sliding down to the floor. She let the water run through her hair, plastering it about her face. This was the most stimulation she got every day, so she just sat there for a while, until the water started getting cold. She stood up, washed her hair, along with the rest of herself, and stepped into the bathtub. She sank down a  bit and relaxed.

After sitting for a while, she leaned back and stared at the ceiling. It was quiet, so very quiet. She was alone, so very, very alone. Satori began to fidget from the uncomfortable silence and solitude. It never wore off. You never get used to this sort of thing and enjoy it-- not if it isn't in your nature-- and it certainly was not in Satori's nature to enjoy this sort of thing. She still had Orin and Utsuho, but not only was Koishi her sister, who she adored with all of her heart, but she was also her best friend, as well-- someone to keep her company every day. For ten years, she has lacked just that.

Satori slouched in the bathtub, half of her face underwater. She sighed, and blew bubbles underwater as she did so. ?There just isn't anything left for me, Koi-chan,? she thought. ?Why did you do this to me, Koi? Why did you shut yourself away? I know you love me, and you know I love you. So why run away, when nothing should be so bad that you have to run away from the person you're closest to? It just doesn't make sense. It hurts, sis. It really hurts. Don't you know how much you're hurting me!?? Satori swiped her hand across the top of the water, as if to splash the sister that wasn't there. Her heart pounded in her chest as tears welled up in her eyes.

A few moments passed. ?...and even then, I want you to come back so badly, it hurts even more than that. I can't live without you, sis. You mean the world and beyond to me. I'm not mad, Koi. I'm just really hurt. Come back and make it better like only you can, okay? Come back and smile for me. Come back and ruffle my hair like you always used to. Come back and tell me that everything will be okay, no matter what. I'll welcome you back with open arms. Always. I promise, Koishi. Always. So please...? Satori closed her eyes and sighed, clasping her third eye to her chest. ?More than anything, I wish you'd come back, Koishi. Please, please come back.? Satori screwed up her face and laughed bitterly at herself. ?...right. As if she could hear me.?

Satori stood up and grabbed a towel, drying herself off. She wrapped the towel around herself and went back to her bedroom. Sitting down on her bed, she picked up the diary she'd write in occasionally. Nothing new really happened, so what was the point in recording the same day over and over again? She flipped through the blank pages, back toward the beginning. ?Heh. How stupid of me,? she muttered, tossing the book aside. The girl flopped over on her bed. ?As if there's any reason to look through that thing.?

She walked to her dresser and looked at the mirror again. Her hair looked fine, and the bags under her eyes were only a little less noticeable, but what hadn't changed was the perpetual frown on her face. ?It's no use. I can't smile like I did when she was here. Why the hell do I even try!?? She threw the mirror against the wall, shattering it. She took her towel off and tossed it on the floor, next to yesterday's clothes. She got dressed and walked out of her room, toward the empty sitting room.

Much to Satori's surprise, Orin was already there, curled up in front of the fireplace. She perked her ears up when she heard Satori approach. ?Nyaaaaawn. Got my work done early today, master,? the cat said in thought. ?How are you feeling today??

?You seriously think I'd feel better about our conversation just overnight?? Satori grumbled. ?Don't be ridiculous.?

Orin hopped up onto Satori's lap. Satori ran her hand along the cat's back, and listened to her purr a bit.

?I still think you should believe in her, Satori. I'm trying to, and Utsuho is as well.? Satori groaned, frowning. The cat swished her tails back and forth. ?Promise me you'll at least try to, okay??

?I promise I'll try.? Satori looked at the roses in the vase next to her, picked one up, and held it to her nose. The smell reminded her of Koishi, who loved roses. ?I wonder where she's at, and what she's up to??

?

The day passed on, and night came once again. Not too far from Chireiden, Koishi still romped around in the snow, mindlessly enjoying herself. The fairies were still stringing lights around trees, but looking around, Koishi saw an unlit tree, and glowing colors on the ground. Perhaps a fairy dropped one? She ran toward it and picked it up, giving it a nice whip in the air as she did so. ?Heeee. I think I'll take this with me!? The wandering girl continued to kick her way through the snow, now spinning her new toy around in the air.

Meanwhile, above the vents of the subterranean city, Utsuho flew around. The Hell of Blazing Fires had become too hot, and she had to release some of the heat above ground. Her black hair whipped in her face as she flapped her wings in the sky of the late night. She had a bird's eye view of the landscape, literally-- and she admired the colored trees that the fairies decorated, among the vast blanket of white.

She looked down a little further.

A twirling strand of colorful light dancing through the snow caught her eye.

--

* Koishi Komatsuri sighs.

Writing all of this just hurts right now. I should rest. Enjoy, folks, I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:24:15 AM by Koishi Komatsuri »

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:42:09 AM »
The juxtaposition of the sisters and their moods here is very interesting...

I'm curious about where this is headed, but if it hurts to write, then set it aside and come back when you're feeling better. Take your time, Matsy.

ArteShy

• Sure you're straight dash....
  • ...I totally believe you
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
This is beatiful.I hope that you will write more when you're better.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »
What has been said above, I'd like to see a continuation of this.

I like the way Koishi's way of thinking is described and want to see Satori's wish get granted  :ohdear:

Matsuri

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
Ack. Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this, honest. I've been busy thinking and rethinking about where I want to go next with the story. :<

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
Thats alright, don't rush it.  :3 Would rather you did your best and came out with a good result.

I'd only just got around to reading this myself anyway as I'd been too busy lately.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Ack. Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this, honest. I've been busy thinking and rethinking about where I want to go next with the story. :<

The less that is said about this, the better. I never forgot about this, I just kind of suck. :fail:

It has been a long time, but I think it's safe to say that I'm just in time for the Satori Maiden's Independence Day Wish, right?

-----

Utsuho paused in midair, between the twinkling constellations above and the field of rainbow lights below; her stellar-speckled cape shimmering in the wind. Her eyes remained locked on the twirling, spinning colors amidst the snowy landscape, and pondered at what it could be. After some consideration, she came to a conclusion, and chuckled.

"Late-night fairy combat training, I'd bet," she thought with a smirk. A mischievous sparkle came to her eyes.  "How adorable. Should I show them how it's really done?" She gave her cape a toss, adjusting the control rod on her right arm. With a loud click, the control rod converted into a large cannon, which began to release a bright yellow glow, illuminating the midnight void between starlight and colored light. Endowed with the tremendous power to control nuclear fusion, an ability bestowed to her by the goddess of the sky, Utsuho had begun to charge her display of strength.

The glow from her cannon was becoming more intense, as an ever-expanding ball of of white-hot energy grew from the end of her cannon. Utsuho felt her smirk twist into a wide grin. "This ought to be enough!" she laughed as the miniature sun she had created had grown as wide as her wingspan-- and with that, the yatagarasu went into a backflip, and began a divebomb toward the earth. As her adrenaline spiked, her grin became ever wider-- what a rush this was, to feel the cold air blasting in her face, the winter chill blowing through her hair!

As she closed in on her target, however, she pulled back in a failed attempt to slow down. "Was that... is that... no, wait, those aren't..." She squinted, trying to get a closer look. "...no, those aren't fairies, they're lights-- but who i-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh slowdownslowdownslowdownslowdownpleeeeeeeeeaseohnoohnonononononononononono---"

All that could be heard was a sickening thud as Utsuho slammed into the earth, missing her target; her charged-up solar energy instantly melting the snow around her. A quiet moan of humiliated pain squeaked from the newly-formed crater, where she laid, stunned from the impact. As she came to her senses, however, Utsuho heard something-- footsteps?

No. No, that couldn't be it. She felt no presence of anyone coming. Or anything, for that matter. But that sound-- yes, those were definitely--

"O-Okuu?

A familiar voice.

Utsuho slowly opened her eyes, wiping the dirt from her face.

Those familiar clothes, that familiar scent-- one she was very fond of, but this scent belonged to Satori and--

"Koishi?!"

---

It was as if the air around them, which was but moments before radiating the heat of a miniature sun, had frozen absolutely solid, along with the time itself. Within this moment, the only sound Utsuho could hear was her own heart pounding in her ears; a tympanic allegro echoing in her head.

Was it really her, the prodigal sister of ten years? Utsuho closed her eyes, replaying the last moments of seeing Koishi in her mind. Behind tightly closed eyelids, she saw the young lady before her this very moment being crushed by the breakdown that caused her to close her third eye-- shutting away her ability to read minds, along with her feelings; her emotions. She had become overwhelmed by the stress of her powers-- the fear of being hated; the loathing of being trapped away in Chireiden, away from the rest of the world. And with this, she left Chireiden, able to wander the world as she pleased. Utsuho remembered the slam of the palace doors all too well. The sight of Satori, collapsing to her knees in shock, had never left her mind, not even after a whole decade. The argument between the sisters, increasing from heated discussion, to yelling, to screaming, still resounded in her memory.

Utsuho opened her eyes again.

Yes.

Yes, indeed, it was her.

"...K-Koishi," Utsuho whispered.

Her shock was returned with a bewildered smile.

"What'cha looking at me like that for, Okuu?" Koishi giggled a bit as she talked.

Utsuho felt herself moving, shattering the frozen air around her, not even noticing the pain from her crash into the ground. Reaching out, she extended her arms toward Koishi, placing her hands on her shoulders, and pulling her into a tight embrace.

"...it really is you," Utsuho spoke into her shoulder, noticing the familiar scent of roses. "after all this time... it's you."

"Well, of course it's me! Who else would I be?"

"It's been ten years, Koishi. Where on earth have you been?"

Koishi smiled. "I've been everywhere! There's more to the world than living underground-- and it's wonderful! There's even a world outside of Gensokyo-- and I've seen a lot of it. I want to see more of it, too!"

Utsuho simply tilted her head, stunned. "... don't you miss us at all?"

Koishi pondered for a moment, and smiled again. "Well... of course I do. There must have been a reason why I ended up so close to Chireiden again, after all."

Her notion was quite possibly true. As a result of closing her third eye, Koishi had shut away her ability to read minds, as well as her emotions. However, she also gained the ability to read and manipulate the subconscious of those around her-- and herself as well. With this, she was able to erase her presence from those around her, making her invisible while being entirely in plain sight all along.

"However, after... well, it's been ten years, I guess," Koishi thought, "I must have become lazy with my own subconscious. Have I become homesick? Do I really miss Satori, Orin, and Okuu that much?"

Utsuho smiled. "Then... why don't you come home? Things just haven't been the same without you, and Satori..." The hell raven looked down. "She's been a wreck ever since you left."

Upon hearing this, Koishi closed her eyes. "Too lazy, it seems." And with that, she searched for the notion of homesickness in her mind, and shut it away.

"...no. I'm not going back down there." Koishi's smile remained, but her cheerful tone had vanished. "I think I'll move along, now."

Utsuho froze again, in shock. "Wait... what? But you just said..."

Koishi was still smiling. "I'll see you around." She wriggled out of the stunned yatagarasu's arms, and started skipping away, heading back into the snow.

"That's not going to work!" Utsuho yelled, spreading her wings, taking off in pursuit.

It has been ten years. I can't bear to see Satori-sama like this anymore. Nothing feels like it should. And if I can change that, then that is what I'll do!

However, her endeavors did not go unnoticed. Koishi turned around at the sound of flapping wings, only to see that she was followed. She closed her eyes, and sighed."No, I can't let this happen."

Her smile had vanished. "Get away from me." Koishi opened her eyes again, revealing glowing red irises in lieu of her normal green eyes. She gazed directly into Utsuho's eyes, looked into her subconscious, and erased her presence.

Utsuho stopped in mid-flight. "Where did she... she was right there..."

Koishi watched Utsuho pause to look around, and realized that the deed was done-- and with that, she took to the sky, racing toward the sun that had just started to rise. The strand of lights she was once happily twirling around laid there in the snow, as if no one was there to begin with.

---

A few hours later, Satori woke up from another night of dreamless slumber, and glanced at the calendar. December 23.

She sighed. "Looks like it'll be another year without you, Koi--"

Knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock

Satori jumped at the sudden noise-- a frenzied knock at the door. She dashed to the door, and opened it.

"Utsuho... what on earth happened to you?" Satori gasped at the sight-- her dress in tatters, burnt and torn; her hair a complete mess; a wild look in her eyes. "... is this one of those bird things I'm just never going to understand?"

"You're not going to believe this, but..." the hell raven began, seeming to shrug off Satori's remark. "...I saw her. I saw her, Satori. She was there, right in front of me! I touched her! I held her! I--"

The words "I lost her" just wouldn't come out.

"You... saw her?" Satori lifted an eyebrow. "What did Orin get into this time?"

Utsuho shook her head. "No, no-- she didn't get into anything-- it was... I saw... Koishi."

The last word seemed to resonate from the tip of Satori's hair to the bottom of her feet, her eyes opened wide. "You saw..."

"...yes." Utsuho continued, the wild look in her eyes turning more and more into a pained look at the sight of Satori's shock. "Just outside of Chireiden."

"W-well. Where is she? Where is she now, Utsuho?! Why didn't you bring her back with you?"

"I tried. I did. I really, really did, Satori-sama. But... well, I...I lost her. I had her in my arms. I talked to her."

"What did she say?"

"She misses us. She misses you, Satori-sama. But... as soon as I asked her to come back, she... she seemed to change her mind, and before I knew it, she vanished. I don't know where she's at, but..." Utsuho paused, looking down to the floor.

Satori froze, as if her heart had been broken even more than it had been before. "She... I can't believe it. I guess my wish is never going to come true, is it? I... I must really mean nothing to her anymore."

Utsuho's head jerked up, the wild look not only returning to her eyes, but it was as if her very eyes were set ablaze by Satori's comment. "You... ugh. You, of all people. How could you say such a thing? How could you suddenly give up on the person you love most? I might not be the brightest bird in th-- wait, that doesn't really work does it-- I might not be a nuclear scient--damn it-- well, I'm not a genius, okay, but I know you well enough to know that not only do you not want to give up on her, you can't give up on her. You can't even try to! The Satori-sama I once knew ten years ago had a stronger will than this!"

"She... doesn't want to see me. She doesn't want to come home. There's no point. There's no point to anything, anymore."

Smack. Utsuho's hand found its way across Satori's face. The satori maiden's eyes grew wide in shock, and she slumped to her knees.

"You really don't get it, do you?! I can't say much for why she shuts herself away-- that is something only you could understand-- but I do know that she misses us-- and more importantly, she misses you. The words she said were sincere, but.. she's running away from that. I wish she'd come home too. However... wishes are pointless when you don't put any effort into making them come true! That's why you're still here and she's not, after ten years. That's why you're miserable, and losing hope. And that's why... and that's why I'll be leaving now. I'm going to find her! And this time, I won't lose her, either! Come with me, Satori-sama. Together, let's try to resolve this!"

Satori could do little more than just stare at Utsuho, shocked that her pet would have the nerve to hit her, to yell at her, to lecture her on how she's supposed to act. However, her eyes fell to the floor.

"I... I can't. She doesn't want to see me. She'll just keep running away."

"Have you tried, though? Just because you can read minds doesn't mean you can tell the future-- and you can't read Koishi's mind anymore, anyway. The only one who knows how she feels is her-- and those feelings are there, whether she decides to acknowledge them or not. And that's why I'm going. I'm going to get her to understand that... and hopefully, I can get her to open up again, after so long." And with that, she turned and walked out of the door. "I'll see you soon."

Satori stared at the door, feeling as if she had been struck by lightning. What was she supposed to do? "I can't... I don't want to cause her any more pain. And besides, I haven't been outside Chireiden for decades. There's a reason we live down here! People hate us--it's dangerous up there!"

She flopped over to the floor, and sighed. "I just can't win, can I? No matter what, I'm always going to fail, aren't I? So why try?" Tears began to form in her eyes again, and she shut her eyes tightly to keep them from coming. "...no. I can't cry-- not when Utsuho's out there doing all of this for me. How low can I get?"

She opened her eyes again, and saw the broken glass from the mirror she broke the day before. Remembering the perpetual frown on her face, especially next to the picture of Koishi and herself-- smiling, she sighed. "I wish... I wish we could be together again, smiling like that. Is that so much to ask fo--"

"Wishes are pointless when you don't put any effort into making them come true." Satori heard Utsuho's words ringing in her ears. "Pointless. Wishing is pointless. Why do I even bothe--"

"...when you don't put any effort into making them come true."
"...you don't put any effort into making them come true."
"...effort into making them come true."
"Come with me, Satori-sama."

Satori rose to her feet, and walked to her dresser, looking at the picture she treasured so much.

"I know you well enough to know that not only do you not want to give up on her, you can't give up on her. You can't even try to!"
"There's a reason we live down here! People hate us--it's dangerous up there!"
"You can't give up on her."

She placed her hand on the side of her face where Utsuho slapped her, and laughed a bit. "...she's right. I can't give up on her. I couldn't dream of it-- no matter what."

"People hate us--it's dangerous up there!

For the first time in what seemed like years, a smirk came to Satori's face. "Who cares?" And with that, she pulled off her nightgown and threw it aside, put on her favorite clothes, grabbed the picture, and flew out of Chireiden as fast as she could-- not even noticing that she had knocked over the table in her sitting room as she crashed through the front door, shattering the vase of roses that was once sitting on top of it.

Orin, who had been hiding outside Satori's room all the while, had heard everything. "Nice one, Okuu." She walked to the sitting room, and giggled at the toppled table, the broken vase, and the roses, scattered about the shattered glass. "I suppose that some roses aren't meant to stay in a vase forever." She hopped up onto Satori's chair, and curled up for a nap. "I'll keep this warm for you until you get back, Satori-sama. Heheheh."

---

Satori was greeted by a bright sun and a cold wind as she emerged from Chireiden. She had forgotten how long it had been since she had been outside, but she wasn't about to let that stop her. "I'm not going to give up. I can't gi--ahhhh!"

Utsuho, waiting just outside of Chireiden. flew into her from the side, tackling her to the ground in a tight hug. "I told you I'd see you soon."

"Okuu... you're right. Right now, I'm ready to make up for lost time. I'll be back as soon as I can!"

"I'm coming with you! After all, it's better to do things together, right?"

Satori smiled, and shook her head. "I can do this. I appreciate the offer, I really do-- but this is something I need to do." She sat up, and ruffled the hell raven's hair. "Besides, you have a job to do in Chireiden. Get yourself cleaned up, and after that, you and Orin should tidy up the place. I'm coming home with Koishi."

Utsuho blinked away tears, dousing the fire in her eyes. This was the Satori she remembered from so long ago. She wasn't particularly strong, but she made up for it with sheer willpower. She grinned, and stood up. "Anything for you, Satori-sama." She held out a hand for her master.

Satori took Utsuho's hand, and rose to her feet. "Thank you, Utsuho." And with that, she took to the skies as fast as she could, flying out of sight. "Even if I have to explore every last bit of Gensokyo, I'll find you, Koishi. I promise."

---

Now, hopefully, I can carry on with this. For those of you who still might care, I have no intention of stopping, after all. I apologize if it's not very good, though.  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:07:25 PM by Tomatsuri Daidouji »

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
 :*
I was going to respond to this earlier bu- :*

Really any criticism I could give would be really biased, not to mention my inexperie- :*

I will say that I really like your Okuu, she has that... I don't know how to describe it but she feels incredibly right for some rea- :*

I'll just sit over here until I calm down, excitedly awaiting the continuation.
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
:*
I was going to respond to this earlier bu- :*

Really any criticism I could give would be really biased, not to mention my inexperie- :*

I will say that I really like your Okuu, she has that... I don't know how to describe it but she feels incredibly right for some rea- :*

I'll just sit over here until I calm down, excitedly awaiting the continuation.

I do accept criticism, regardless. I don't know how I could improve, otherwise.

That said, don't get too excited. Not only am I not sure what I want to do now with this, my motivation to do very much of anything is pretty much gone.