Author Topic: The Cool Samurai Girl Meira.  (Read 29926 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: The Cool Samurai Girl Meira.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »
Oh no you didn't

You diiiiiiiiiiiiid

:o

Now you must get Sapz to do a recorded blind read of this, in his sexy, sexy voice.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:35 AM »
The mental images this story brings up are frightening, yet hilarious. Well done, pastry  :D

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »
Jesus Donut  :V

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
[11:54]   <YoseiOnmyoji>   Oh my Goddess
[11:54]   <YoseiOnmyoji>   Donut
[11:54]   <YoseiOnmyoji>   what have you done?

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
What the heck is this
Even Hibachi can't resist Sapz's voice?!

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
OH GOD

WHAT

...There are no words.

As for the blind read: no can do since I just read it. :V I could read it anyway, or wait for the next chapter, though.
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
I advocate a reading anyway. Oh, and don't count on a second chapter - that plan fell through.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »
Awww. :(

nintendonut888

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 12:45:27 AM »
Quote from: August
I'm ready to get started on this story again

:derp:

Yyyyeah, I have no excuse. College wasn't even that tough until the last few weeks, but this chapter really hung me up. I have revived though, and am ready to update at long last! \o/ I hope this is an acceptable offering for stalling on an update for over six months. If not, well, read it anyway. Or don't. It's a free country where I live after all.

---
Meira, the teenage samurai, was now secure in her room. Her fortress. No matter how bleak the day was, no matter how much suffering she went through at school, with her sister, with her jerk mom, Meira could always count on her cozy room to take her away from this hell hole.

That said, Meira's room was a hole in of itself. Used dishes lined the wall next to the door, assorted clothes were dumped into a big pile next to the bed (newly added was a torn sailor uniform, swapped with a pair of brown shorts and a black T-shirt), and nick-nacks collected over the years were stuffed into every nook and most of the crannys on every shelf. Perhaps the only part of the room that was well kept was a small table in the corner, where a long, sharp katana rested on a pedestal. As messy and disorganized the room was, it was the one place in Gensokyo where its inhabitant felt at ease.

As for said messy inhabitant, Meira was laying down on her bed, kicking her legs as she read her favorite comic book: "The Cool Samurai Guy Jack." The title was in English unlike the rest of the comic, indicating that it was originally from some country other than Japan. The comic followed the adventures of the titular samurai, who wandered the bad streets of Japan, cutting down any tough guy who stood in his way. He was a bad boy who didn't follow anyone's rules (save the bushido code!). He was Meira's hero, and the reason she aspired to become a samurai. One day, Gensokyo will fear her as "The Cool Samurai Girl Meira", slicing and dicing bad guys, youkai, and brutal teachers alike. Meira giggled at the thought of the future her as she turned the page.

Yeah...if I only had Jack's power, I wouldn't be held back by anything. Not mom, not Noroiko, not even Ms. Kamishirasawa. Haa, now I'm getting in the mood again.

Tossing aside the comic book, Meira slipped off her bed and made her way to the clothes pile to change into that.

---

"In this world, there are two forces that govern all: The light and the dark."

In a darkened room, Meira started anew the monologue she had attempted earlier that day. She was once again dressed in her samurai robes.

"The light. Yes, the light is often seen as the good side, since it's, uh..." After such a long and exhausting day, the samurai girl was drawing blanks. She paused momentarily, deciding to start over.

"In this world, there are two forces that govern all: The light and the dark. The light is often seen as the good side, as it..."

Think, think...

Order! Right, I heard that once.

"As it represents order! Yes! Just as darkness represents chaos! People side with order for fear of what they can't see, holding down the chaos time and time again." Meira grinned, pleased with how this sounded. She unsheathed her katana and held it parallel to the ground.

"Yes, the light holds down the dark, order, chaos. But they can't see! Blinded by the light, they can't see the true power of chaos! For it - uh, chaosssss..." Meira hissed as she drew another blank.

"C-chaos! It is the true force to be with. For throughout history, chaos, the freedom to do whatever you want, rises to squash the order! It will never bow down to the light! For the chaos is..." Not about to backtrack having come so far, Meira snapped her fingers and rolled with whatever came to mind. "Chaos is, freedom. Freedom, and following...your heart, yeah. And no tyrant parent or teacher will ever squash it!"

Going with it, Meira brought her katana high with a mighty roar and slashed down, sideways, and thrusted forward.

"And that, is why I, the cool, free-spirited samurai Meira, will NOT bow down to th-"

Several loud knocks on the door interrupted the teenager's tangent, cutting her disjointed monologue short.

"Meira, dear..." It was the dreaded parental tyrant! "It's getting late. Could you please keep it down in there?"

Having had enough of everybody messing with her fun, Meira finally snapped. She stomped on the ground and screamed "Oh for fuck's sake, can't I finish one freaking monologue without you intruding on me?! Why don?t you go and tuck Noroiko in, since she's sooooo precious to you!" A silence filled the house after this exclamation, followed by quiet footsteps.

Meira let out a long sigh and rubbed her temples. "Gah, now I lost my place." She sheathed her katana and placed it on her bed. Meira slumped down into her desk's chair and rested her head in her hands. A few minutes of silence and sulking passed.

In a soft voice, Meira said to herself, "Why can't mom respect me for who I am?" For the last few years, her mom had always expressed concern with how Meira "won't act her age" and "does those childish activities all day long." Meira simply wanted to continue doing what she thought was cool, and her mom's refusal to accept this pissed her off to no end.

Well, no matter. Once I become the most powerful human in the village it won?t matter what she thinks. The Cool Samurai Girl Meira will command respect. Meira gave a weak smile to herself.

Meira glanced across her desk and saw one of her many strange trinkets. Looking vaguely like a set of metallic balls attached to monkey bars by a thin string, it was meant to simulate something educational that some famous person found out ? Fig Newton she believed his name was - but she could care less about that.  Shifting the support of her head entirely to her left hand for a moment, Meira pulled the ball farthest to the right back and let it go. Meira watched with delight as the ball dropped and collided with the cluster of balls, somehow causing the ball farthest to the left to bounce and swing to the left. Meira had a thing for bouncing balls.

Resting her head on both hands once again, Meira took the time to let her mind wander as she absent-mindedly watched the balls swing back and forth.

Hmm, I wonder if tomorrow will be any better?today really sucked

The balls continued to swing back and forth.

I guess the bouncy ball was a highlight. Kotohime always has the coolest stuff

Back and forth.

Wonder what Kotohime is gonna have tomorrow?

Meira yawned as she continued to watch the contraption click back and forth.

Maybe it?s gonna be?something really awesome. Like a sword. Swords are awesome?

Back and forth. Back and forth. Meira?s head began slowly sliding down her hands.

Mmm, maybe it?s going to be a super flashy sword. Y?know, something liiiike mmmrgh?flashy lights, makes the bad guys go boom whenyeah that?d be so bitchin? it?d be so ggggggggggggg?

Baaaaack and foooooorth. Baaaaack and foooooorth?

---

*BAM

?Aah! Ow, fucker what the fuck-?
Meira  felt a stabbing pain in her knee and instinctively stood to get out of the chair she zoned out in. Not thinking about the extent of her knee?s pain, her left knee buckled almost as soon as she stood up, and another, louder thud emanated through the room as she landed on the ground for the second time that day.

?Oww, my knee did that jerk thing that happens when I fall asleep. Damn it?? Meira hissed in pain as she rubbed her knee. And did she land on something?? Doing her best to hoist herself off the ground, Meira checked the area around her left thigh for the fiendish item that was causing a dull pain, but there was nothing. Huh, must have imagined it

Heh heh heh.

Mmm? Was that a giggle? Meira could have sworn she heard someone snickering. Meira froze, not sure whether it was the wind, a thief, or even a rogue youkai.

?

*rustle*

Ah ha! It wasn?t just the wind! The sounds of movement came from Meira?s open window (no doubt her mom opened it to let the wind in, meaning she intruded on her private sanctuary, AGAIN). Steeling her will, Meira slowly rose and limped over to see what she could see. Cautiously, she peered out the window, and saw-

?CURSED AGAIN!?

Startled as she was, Meira instantly recognized the gleeful bellow and ducked back into her room. No sooner did she do this than a curse slip flew upwards with frightening speed. The magical adhesive stuck it fast to the gutter above the window.

Augh, it?s even worse than a youkai!

Forgetting the pain in her leg for a moment, Meira leapt back at the window to confront Noroiko, who was crouching a meter below in the bushes. Holding the bottom of the window as support, Meira whispered down ?Noroiko! What the hell are you doing out here?? Her sister said nothing, merely flashing her usual insidious grin.

?Noroiko!? Meira swiped at her little sister in vain.

?Just cursing~?

Meira, practically supporting herself with her stomach at this point, held out her hands to catch the next curse slip her bratty sister threw. But instead of tossing another of Meira?s curse slips, Noroiko gave an ominous wave upwards. She chanted something in a (for once) hushed tone that the samurai couldn?t make out. Then, as if pulling a rope, she abruptly brought both hands down.

Meira raised an eyebrow at this odd display and was about to go grab something long and pokey to continue the rage, but was cut off by something slamming into her back. Gasping more in confusion than pain, she reached behind to pry whatever it was off her. She ran her fingers across the culprit and felt a papery material. Meira?s eyes opened wide.

?N-no, it can?t be..." In a panic, the samurai waved her hands at her cursed sister.

"Noroiko, don?t you dare-!?

With a clap, Noroiko unleashed a powerful electric shock to Meira?s system. This time the cry was definitely in pain.

---

And to think, this is both my accomplishment for my three year anniversary of getting into Touhou, and also coincidentally on the last day of NaNoWriMo. Well, hope you enjoyed, and keep a look for chapter 7 - I promise this next chapter will come faster than the last.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:56:33 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
Told ya I'd shell one out in less time. ;D It feels great to have my writing spirit back. As an early Christmas present, here's a new chapter for my three or so readers. Enjoy~

---
?Aaah, god, it hurts?? Meira lay slumped against the wall beneath her window in a particularly uncomfortable position, her face stained with tears. After the shock the curse slip gave upon activation, crying was pretty much all she could do.

How did she do it? You?re not supposed to be able to use those things if you don?t know the chant! Meira cursed her cursed sister who somehow knew those cursed words that?cursed?her. In between screams of agony, Meira had seen Noroiko scamper off into the night before her body refused to move and she slid down into her current position. No doubt she?s off to cause trouble somewhere else.

Well, screw her, Meira thought as she tried to free her body from the paralysis. After that last stunt, Meira officially didn?t care about her sister anymore. Let her attack others or get eaten or whatever. For now she was more concerned with the stinging pain coursing through her body.

After what seemed an eternity of holding back tears and moaning, Meira?s skin was starting to get itchy from pressing against the wall. Systematically testing her limbs one by one over a matter of minutes, Meira became confident enough that she could move. In short bursts, Meira threw her weight in order to face the opposite direction. Having done this, the samurai tested her hands to confirm they still worked. With a strained grunt, she used them to press against the wall and slowly make her way to her feet (reminding her of the pain in her knee of course). Half-walking, half-stumbling, Meira trudged to her bed and collapsed onto it, thus completing the long process of rehabilitation.

---

Sprawled across her somewhat lumpy bed, Meira stared up at her wooden ceiling in a daze. Familiar thoughts of malice and self-pity began swirling around in her head. She thought of how unfair the world was, how stupid everyone except her was, and how she wanted to just burn everything to the ground. She was just getting into the mood, when something clicked in her mind.

?Wait a minute. I?m just repeating myself. ?today sucks, everyone sucks,? it?s so lame! I?m cooler than this!? She pounded the bed with her fist. ?A cool visionary like myself needs to tread new ground! I need to go into new territories of just how unfair things are!? Meira spoke with a dissonant enthusiasm.

?Like?like Noroiko!? Meira pumped her fist towards the ceiling. ?How the hell did she use those curse slips?? The teenager glanced at the window where the curse slip used against her lay. Those curse slips were useless unless you knew the right chant to bring out their super spooky and dark and awesome power. After reaching her room, Meira dug into her stash and found that while every curse slip was pilfered, the sticky note with the incantation written on it was left untouched. And yet, she very clearly just used one with nasty results. So how?

!

What if?she somehow knows? Meira?s eyes opened wide. In Gensokyo, all the scary supernatural beings such as youkai, vampires, demons, and gothic lolita dolls all have a unique power over the world. Meira rarely interacted with youkai, bacon but she?s heard rumors from ?the hood? of such amazing abilities as changing the fate of those around them, causing instant death in anything that could die, and even manipulating darkness itself! Meira always admired the youkai, despite how depraved and inhumane they were ? or at least, they were from the stories she had heard. They could always assert their place in the world with their kickass ability no one else had.

But?it?s different for humans Meira looked at her hand with sorrow. Humans, even those born in a magical land like Gensokyo, were not so lucky. True, everyone in the village is descended from youkai-busting mystics and therefore have innate spiritual power, but an ability like that of a youkai was pretty uncommon. Meira had tried all sorts of things to bring out her power: She learned much to her chagrin she could not shoot shurikens and lightning out of her hand (dashing her initial hopes at becoming a ninja); She learned she couldn?t summon a sword at a mere mention of the weapon; She could barely even fly, which is something anyone with moderate spiritual energy could manage. Eventually Meira was forced to accept that she had no innate power.

And yet, Noroiko somehow knew how to use those curse slips of hers. It wasn?t just a weak spark either; the powers in those slips hit her full force back there. Even if she memorized the chant somehow, there?s no way a novice could bring out those babies? full potential on the first try. It was only a theory, but the longer Meira mulled over it the more certain it became in her mind: Noroiko had an innate power to cast curses!

?It just?it isn?t fair!? Meira grinded her teeth. That little snot was born with an ability and she wasn?t?! Meira wasn?t familiar with how common it was, but the mere fact that she didn?t have anything, yet her bratty seven year old sister did pissed her off like nothing else. Why wasn?t she born a youkai, or as a powerful human?

Why??

Meira tossed herself to her side and sighed. If only I had a way to gain power?I could show up everyone else. Some way?

Hey, wait a minute.
This last thought jogged her memory. Earlier today, didn?t Kotohime mention something about a way to get power? Meira strained her mind to recall what her friend said.

If only we could have the power of the Hakurei shrine maiden?

That?s right! Meira remembered now. An old-fashioned woman who still hunts youkai, living on the other side of the forest of magic near the village: The Hakurei shrine maiden. The source of her awesome powers is?some artifact called the ?yin-yang orb,? powered by?something. The Hakurei, whatever. In any case, this was exactly what she needed!
Sure, it?s dangerous to travel the forest, especially at night, but if I can make it, then, somehow I can steal the orb, and then ultimate power will be mine! This is it, my big chance! I?ll go right now!

Excited at the upcoming adventure, Meira raised her fists to the air once more. ?Right! It?s time for The Cool Samurai to rise! Let?s go!?

?

Meira noticed she was not moving. She was still glued to her bed, staring at the window. She tried again. ?I can?t let myself stay in this funk forever! I?m off!?

?

Meira slowly lowered her arms and gave a long sigh.

Who was she kidding? She was a wreck. Her body was still sore all over from the time Ms. Kamishirasawa beat her up ? or wait, didn?t that happen twice? Though the curse slip?s effects were dimming, Meira?s body still resisted movement. All day, the samurai was beaten and battered mentally and physically from every individual event. And these were all normal humans. Noroiko, Ms. Kamishirasawa, both were normal humans. This Hakurei shrine maiden must be a mighty warrior! She must be armed to the teeth with...whatever it was shrine maidens had. The thought of her stealing a mystical artifact from someone like this through some crackpot scheme was just?unreasonable.

Now Meira just felt miserable. Miserable at her inability to get anything she wanted, doomed to forever remain mediocre. All her energy was drained, and she frankly couldn't care less about life at the moment. She once again turned to lay on her side.  I?just wanna sleep now. Screw it. Screw everything?

Meira was about to close her eyes, when she noticed her katana was still on the bed. ?Sigh, guess I may as well move it. I have no right to use something as cool as this anyway...? She reached out to cast the katana to the floor and allow herself to erase the day?s pains in peace.

*ZAP*

?AH! OW, WHAT THE-?

Meira sat bolt upright. Th-the blade?it shocked me! She rung her hand to lessen the pain. It was a particularly painful shock. ?Aah, the curse slip must have left a current in my system. I mean, I should have grabbed the hilt, yeah, but??

Meira trailed off. She looked down at the blade, then to the samurai robes she was still wearing. She closed her eyes. The pain of the shock was already subsiding, but a new feeling was welling up inside of her: A feeling of determination. She chuckled softly to herself.

So, this is how it is, huh? Well I won?t lose! I?ve still got energy to spare!

Without any more introspection, Meira knew what she had to do. She got off the bed and went over to her desk. She took out a spare hair band.

A true action hero never lets anything get them down. I was being so lame just now.

Licking her hand and taming her long hair, Meira once again tied her hair into a thick ponytail.

Noroiko, Ms. Kamishirasawa, mom, all of them are against me. Well I won?t let them pull me down! I am destined for greatness!

Attaching her scabbard to her side, Meira grabbed her katana ? this time properly ? and sheathed it.

So, the Hakurei shrine, eh? All I need to do is cut across the forest and steal the orb, right? Hah! Jack would do something like this in a single issue. I will do the same! In a single night it will be mine!

As battered as Meira's body was, she no longer let it hold her back. She moved towards her window to make her grand entrance into the night. The night she will tame!

?Yes, the cool samurai girl Meira will not?mmph!? Meira grunted as she tried to climb up through the room?s large window. The scabbard was catching on the wall and refusing to let her move through the frame. She balanced one foot on the windowsill as she tried to coerce it into letting her through.

?The?cool?nnngh! C?mon, why won?t you ? wh-whoa! Ah!? Yet another crash resonated as she fell backwards to the ground.

---

Dashing out through the front door, Meira let out a mad fit of laughter as she triumphantly marched towards the Forest Of Magic. This will be her finest hour! Nothing will hold her back from gaining the ultimate power, the power of the Hakurei. She will be victorious!

?Just you wait Gensokyo! I will show you the true power of darkness! The cool samurai girl Meira will NOT back down! AH HA HA HA HAAAAA~!?

---
What adventures await our heroine in the forest of magic? Tune in next time to find out!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:58:22 PM by nintendonut888 »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »
FINALLY

I love you, pastry. Can't wait to see Meira's butt handed to her (here's me dealing with trauma from my first few encounters with her).

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Meira rarely interacted with youkai, bacon but she?s heard rumors

Were you hungry when you typed this? :3

I wonder how Meira's going to get those curse slips back.

nintendonut888

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Were you hungry when you typed this? :3

Blame Sapz and Purvis for that. :[ But hey, I bet you didn't notice the earlier insertion of "bees," did you? :P

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
Blame Sapz and Purvis for that. :[ But hey, I bet you didn't notice the earlier insertion of "bees," did you? :P

* Byakurdj Hijiri goes back to look

Oh hey, there it is. How did I miss that before?

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
I like this story.

A lot.

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 05:39:05 AM »
This particular chapter was awesome, like all the others.

My favorite bit:

A cool visionary like myself needs to tread new ground! I need to go into new territories
Oh, she's actually going to try to be --
of just how unfair things are!
-- oh. Hah.

nintendonut888

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 06:21:38 AM »
And now for something completely different.

---

It was a cool night, for summer that is. The nighttime breeze was cool and crisp, and looking at the sky it might even rain, which would be nice for a change. Lying in wait for my intended stalkee – would that be what one would call it, or – no wait, it doesn’t matter – at the top of a tree, I swung my legs in boredom. I was worried about this and that, so I came to see if I was right.

Mmm, will she really come? It’d be such a shame if she didn’t. Then I’d have come all this way for nothing

Loudly yawning, I leaned against the tree trunk. It had to be past 11:00 by now, but the yawn was more out of boredom than anything. I mean, she was going to come, right? She seemed more mad than usual today, so I thought she could be angry enough to go through with it. Or maybe she was so mad she forgot about – no, she surely wouldn’t do that. The friend I know wouldn’t just give up…maybe.

I fidgeted. I wasn’t sure how much later I could wait. It gets so dull waiting for such a long time, so to pass the time I let my mind wander aimlessly like a bird through the sky. It was a little chilly for a fantasy, so I just wanted to meditate instead.

Though, a bird like in the sky is fun to think about, just gliding lazily through the air… I closed my eyes thinking about this with a calm expression. A minute or so passed before I realized I was day – or night, whichever – dreaming even when I said I wouldn’t! It’s too chilly, and if I get lost in my thoughts I may miss my target or catch a cold! Unless I was a penguin. Tee hee…

Gah! I slapped myself for doing it again. But then again, that’s what I like; I like to fantasize about everything. I have ever since I was little. People think I’m crazy because I act this way even though I’m almost an adult, but I don’t mind. It’s better than looking at things through normal eyes anyway. With that in mind, I thought to properly indulge myself. After all, if she was going to come, she would do it loudly, I thought. My imagination caught the next breeze and my heart flowed into a sea of tranquility.

Flying through the air…not a care in the world, not a youkai could catch me. Just a whimsical little bird…flying through the cool cool breeze. Though I suppose I still must take into account how cool it is. Mmm, right, I’m a penguin. I have those cute little flippers and the fluffy feathers. Fluffy wings, carrying my well-dressed body through the night sky…

“Wait…” I opened my eyes, which had closed at some point. “I wasn’t thinking much, but don’t penguins not fly?” Folding my arms (taking care not to lose my balance on the tree branch), I thought it through. Certainly, penguins don’t exist here in Gensokyo, but I’ve seen pictures. They look ground-bound, but like chickens they may be able to –
Wait, what am I doing?! I slapped myself for doing it again. Trying my best to get comfortable, I went back to the wonderful fantasy in a way that hateful part of my mind would leave me be.

Moving along the ground, I was in my cute penguin form. Just waddling along idly, not a care in the world…~ No youkai would mess with a bird as cute as me, nope. Well, maybe a cat youkai, but – no, I would totally beat their butts. I’m a penguin after all. If one came after me, I would dive into the river and swim to safety. Nothing can catch me in the river, because I read penguins swim real good.

But the kappa would be in the river. Penguins being an Antarctic bird wouldn’t be their normal menu item, but I read that kappa are very resourceful, and would probably find a way to cook me. I heard a story after all, saying that…that…

“AHH! NO!”

My eyes flashed open and I bent forward, clutching my head and shaking, trying to rid myself of the hateful voice of reason. I became a little dizzier than I expected doing this, and given my sitting position, is it really a surprise I came toppling to the ground? I winced because I landed on my tailbone. It was quite painful.

But what was more painful was what happened before the fall. That…that…

Rationalizing

Seeing the fun was over, I let out a pained sigh. All of a sudden, I wanted to cry. Scooching back to lean against the base of the trunk, I let out another sigh.

“It happened again…” What kind of fantasy is grounded in logic anyway? A true fantasy runs on the power of one’s imagination alone, disregarding everything that would make it impossible in reality. That’s the whole point! You can’t let yourself be trapped by common sense in a fantasy world! But…

But it’s not so easy now

I looked up at the sky. The twinkling stars should have been visible, but there were only clouds now, obscuring those dreams I would normally have gazing up at the sky. In a similar fashion, despite how much I have fought against it, I have found it increasingly hard to fantasize these days. Much as I hate to admit it, I am seventeen. No other girl is interested in pretending to be a princess anymore, or a police officer, or anything else of the sort. But, I don’t think any less of them for it. I know it’s strange, but this is my way of life.This is how I want to live.

So why can’t I do it anymore?

I have kept track of this process well. It started about four years ago, when my body started changing. When I discovered these new-found feelings in me, and learned more about the true nature of love. How it can heal…and how it could hurt. Hearing the awful stories of the latter tarnished my image of love, so I can never go back to the old me who dreamed of a prince coming to take my pure heart away.

I continued on despite that. All was still bright and happy in my life, until I began to hear stories from my older peers. Stories of youkai. Youkai always seemed so fun to hunt, with a common childhood game being to “exterminate” whoever is assigned the role of youkai. But these stories, they were much less idealistic. Little children wandering off from the village and being… I shook my head to rid myself of the thought. It does no good thinking about it.

“Hah, but that’s all I can do…” I let out a sigh and sunk into my knees. No matter how much I have tried to fight against fate, I can’t win. The cruel claw of reality has cut into me over and over again, wounding my inner child. I want to hold on to this world of fantasy, I really do. I hold it closer and dearer to my heart than anything in the world. If I were to lose it, I can’t see myself living anything other than a dull and mundane life. Without my fantasies, I, I’m nothing. Will I one day lose this part of me and become assimilated? Will I-

“Is she strong? Listen gal. She’ll cut every unjust male.”

“Eh…?” I looked up. That voice…!

“Does she follow the bushido code? Take one look and you’ll surely know…crap, that doesn’t rhyme…ah well.”

It is! Hearing that uncultured voice brightened my spirits instantly. I scrambled to my feet and made sure to make myself less visible. Sure enough, marching down the path nearby was a rather short girl clutching onto a long katana. It was too dark to tell, but I was sure she must also be wearing a red and white samurai garb. She seemed too into her jovial tune to notice me.

“Samurai, samurai, Meira the cool dark samurai! Wealth and fame, will be hers! Ultimate power are her…um, slippers? Ah to hell to with it, nobody’s listening anyway.” She continued on, humming the melody she was doing a poor job of following earlier.

Part of me wanted to put on my princess airs and give her the royal spirit-lifter, but I had to resist the urge. After all, this is a secret mission for my samurai friend. I must maintain the fantasy's world, for both of us.

Yes, this girl, she’s my friend. I can feel relieved whenever I’m around her. Even now, I feel my chipper self returning to form seeing her spiritedness. One day, when I felt so sad I might have given up my life that very day, this girl popped into my life at the school taught by a scary teacher. Meira, who despite her boorish behavior and selfish attitudes, despite obviously not knowing the first thing about honor or dignity, insists that she is a samurai of high esteem. “How silly,” I thought, to see a seventeen year old continuing to uphold a childish fantasy. I scoffed at her, and then I realized I had found my savior. Seeing a peer holding on to such a ridiculous delusion made my heart go pitter-pat. I thought, “If this girl can keep a delusion like that, surely I can find the strength to keep going myself.” The crushing thoughts of assimilation and hopelessness were all of a sudden replaced by a need to make this girl my companion at any cost.

Yes, I did everything I could to get close to her. Being lost in my own fantasies, it was a miracle I still know how to make friends in real life, but it turns out I can do it after all! Though she seemed put off at first by my odd mannerisms like all the others, all it took was to flash some shiny things her way to make her my friend! Heh heh, my hobby is collecting strange trinkets after all. Fantasy and collecting trinkets. Just the perfect two things to draw this girl to me.

At some point I came back to the present time and saw that she was gone, disappeared into the forest. I then thought about why I had come here: To see if she really took on my royal mission.

The mission I sent her on, to steal the Hakurei shrine maiden’s source of power…was this really a good idea to do? I didn’t think about it at the time (because thinking is what got me into my problem in the first place), but whether she succeeds or not, it must be quite dangerous in the forest. With all the youkai, could she end up…no, no need to worry about that. I’m certain that resourceful girl will be fine. She has to be. Surely. The “cool samurai girl” wouldn’t let her life end in such a sad manner. For me, and for her, the fantasy must go on. That is more important than the result.

I then realized I was thinking too much again. Shaking my head, I pivoted and began the march back home. It was now beginning to rain, but that won’t be a bother to me. I can just imagine that I am a karakasa, bouncing along with no fear of getting wet~ As for Meira…the events of this night will surely be something to remember. Before getting lost in fantasy once more, I took one more look at the big scary forest.

“Good luck…Miss Samurai-san.”

---

Fun fact, this chapter has 2011 words. :> Funny how an "intermission" ends up being the longest chapter yet. :]

Anyway, now that I am done destroying the dynamic of the fic, I hope you can forgive the mind screw and look forward to the next chapter.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:14:12 PM by nintendonut888 »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 04:35:27 AM »
Well... That was interesting.

She I admit it was a little different from the flow of the story normally, it makes sense since it's from Kotomine's point of view.  That's an interesting companionship there.

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:51 AM »
I really like this "intermission," it adds new dimension to the story. Gives it more depth.
And I enjoy the way you described the loss of youthful innocence while keeping things witty.
One of my favorite stories. Keep it up.

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:52 AM »
Yeah. One of the things that struck me is how Kotohime basically wishes she could be more like Meira in certain aspects ... which we-the-audience usually see as merely being side-effects of how Meira is an irascible twunt who's more self-absorbed than a Russian nesting sponge. Nice way of adding depth.

nintendonut888

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
;^_^

I feel kinda bad about this delay. Not because I had plenty of opportunities to work on this before midterms came up, but because this next chapter has been finished for a while. I was intending to save this until I was finished, but certain...difficulties have made me decide to release the first section as-is. Now that the technical difficulties of a small fic with an equally small userbase are out of the way, I hope you enjoy!

---

?Come out. I know you?re there.? A young and proud-looking woman gazed into a patch of darkness. The figure shrouded by the forest trees chuckled, anticipating that her target would sense her. With measured steps, a woman emerged from the shadows, a small smirk on her otherwise calm face.

?Well done Miss Hakurei. I am Meira, the dark samurai.? Immaculate in the garb of the honored warriors, the woman rested her left hand on the scabbard of her katana. ?I have come here to take the Hakurei.?

The shrine maiden opposite her gave a grim nod. She extended her arm forward, her hand cupped as though grasping an invisible aura. ?I know. I had foreseen your presence here tonight, and have come to strike you down. I will not allow the likes of you to come into possession of this holy power.? As she spoke, a large sphere dressed in the symbols of yin and yang orbited around her hips. There was no doubt in Meira?s mind: That orb contained the power of Hakurei she coveted. The mere proximity to that which she had desired for so long sent waves of excitement coursing through the young samurai?s veins.

?Of course. I would expect no less from the famed youkai exterminator. If the purpose of our meeting is clear, than we need speak no more. Prepare yourself.? Meira crouched slightly, ready to begin the fight at any moment.  Though both women knew only one would walk away from the forest alive, the shrine maiden?s expression softened. In a half-hearted tone, she said ?Is there?no way to change your mind? I do not wish to destroy one of my own.? The dark samurai did not bat an eye, predicting such sentimentality. Silent, she let her unwavering glare convey her answer. The air between the two combatants was filled with enough tension to cut with a knife. Finally, the shrine maiden gave a sigh of resignation before hardening her face.

?Very well.? She spread her arms out, as if to charge her power. The orb, whose rate of revolution had been slow to this point, quickened its pace. The orb rose to the shoulders of the shrine maiden, who locked eyes with her opponent. ?In the name of the Hakurei clan, I shall purge your evil from this world!?

Meira smirked, pleased that the heroic pleasantries were over. She let out a low laugh. ?Fu, fu, fu. Hakurei shrine maiden, you may be well-versed in the extermination of youkai. However.? Meira?s hand reached for the hilt of her blade. ?You will soon find that a human burning with resolve is more frightening than any youkai!? With one swift movement, Meira unsheathed the katana and shifted her feet into a battle stance. ?Now, you who swears by order and justice?feel the power of darkness!? The samurai charged forward, and the battle began.

It was truly a sight to behold. Two warriors, both masters of their craft, locked horns in mortal combat. The power of the yin-yang orb was truly stunning, but it was nothing Meira had not prepared for. Through superior agility, the Hakurei shrine maiden?s volleys fell short of inflicting anything other than a scratch on the master samurai.  Calling upon the knowledge of every attack of every combat form in existence, the samurai unleashed wave after wave of unrelenting swordplay. Though the shrine maiden was adept at avoiding the assault, Meira?s efforts prevented her from regaining her balance. With each charge, a little more ground was gained. Before long, there would be no more room to evade, and victory would be in her grasp!

Realizing her plan, the Hakurei shrine maiden raised the yin-yang orb high above her head. Concentrated beams of spiritual energy rained down and surrounded her, forming a defensive perimeter in order to prevent Meira from coming any closer. Yet, the cunning samurai immediately perceived a fatal flaw in the maiden?s strategy: In attempting to increase her defense, she had completely eliminated her offense. If she could break through this barrier-!

With a mighty roar, Meira bounded forward. Her keen reflexes guided her true, and she passed unscathed through the defensive cage. The Hakurei maiden recoiled in shock. ?I-impossible-!? In a panic, she attempted to redirect her lasers to cast down the approaching enemy, but it was too late. With a mighty thrust, the maiden?s body was impaled by the samurai?s katana. Before long, blood began seeping out her wound. The yin-yang orb lost its shimmering display of power and fell to the ground with a clunk. It was over.

---

Though the life was rapidly draining from her eyes, the shrine maiden wore a serene smile on her face. She gazed up at the one who had bested her. Through her pain, the shrine maiden whispered, ?Miss?Meira. You?win. I-I am glad that it was a human?who defeated me.? With her victory assured, the dignified samurai decided to show some compassion. Supporting the maiden?s body with her free hand, Meira held her close so she could hear her. ?Miss Hakurei, you too put up a good fight. Mark my words, I will ensure your name and your clan will be honored in death.? Hearing these words, the shrine maiden shed a tear.

?Thank you?? Her eyes, drained of all vision, fluttered to a close. She struggled to murmur her final words. ?My power?now flows to you. Not that?you ever needed it. Farewell?miss samurai.? With one final exhale, the shrine maiden?s head fell to the side. The dark samurai took a step back and retracted her katana, leaving the lifeless body of the legendary youkai exterminator to collapse onto the ground. Meira faced away from the one she had slain. Wiping her blade clean of blood, she sheathed her weapon and turned her attention to her prize.

?At last?the ultimate power is mine. After all these years, I have it! It?s mine?all mine.? Meira abandoned all composure as she giggled with glee and rushed over to the yin-yang orb lying on the ground. Its new master, Meira was free to control it as she wished. Concentrating her mind, the young girl willed the orb to raise above her. She couldn?t help but laugh.

After all these years, things are finally going my way. Nothing can stop me now! I am all powerful! ALL POWERFUUUUL!

?Ha?ha?ha??

SPLASH

?Ha-?!?

---

With a jolt, Meira flailed her limbs before raising her head. Her mind was hazy, her vision blurry. For reasons she did not understand, her clothes were now dripping wet.

?Wwwwhat happened?? Where?? Shaking her head, the samurai girl glanced back and forth. Wherever she was, it was not where she was a second ago. The orb she held above her was gone, the shrine maiden?s body, vanished. It was then that Meira noticed she was leaning against a tree.

?O-oh?I must have been dreaming.? She rubbed her eyes and let out a groan. Now that she thought about it, she did recall taking a short break from her gallant march. I just rested my eyes for a minute. How did this happen? Damn it. She seethed at her lack of vigilance. But why am I wet?

Her senses returning, Meira?s ears picked up a pattering sound above her. Squinting as her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she took in the sea of leaves blanketing the forest above her. ?Aah, it?s raining. Right, that?s right?? Meira wiped her mouth clean of what she convinced herself was water and not drool. Though thick, there were gaps in the canopy that let in glimpses of the clouded night sky. One such gap was right above her. Putting two and two together, Meira deduced that she was drenched in the run-off of the leaves high above her. Meira always did hate biology.

Making her way to her feet, Meira wiped the remaining water off her samurai garb. ?Ugh, even this forest sucks. Now my clothes are all muddy?? Spitting to the side to rid her mouth of rainwater, Meira shouted out against the forces of nature, ?Well you know what? You?re hardly the worst thing to happen to me today. You hear me? You?re not going to get me down you stupid forest!?

While Meira was not expecting an answer to her show of defiance, the forest indeed answered her - with a hollow echo as her voice carried through the forest. It was almost mocking, hearing her own words repeated to her. Meira?s fist shook from the lip she just gave herself. Just before she engaged in a thorough elaboration of all the degrees to which trees suck, Meira took in what the echo actually said.

?You?re not going to get me down you stupid forest!?

In hearing her own words, Meira picked up something that caused her eyes to widen. A certain key word triggered a thought in the girl?s brain that made her skin crawl.

Forest?

Taking a tentative step from the tree that splashed her, Meira nervously looked around. There was barely enough light to see, thanks to the countless trees that stood around her. The imposing trees cast a dark shadow over the young girl. No matter where she looked, the identical scenery only fueled the sinking sensation surrounding that word.

Forest?

Meira unconsciously clutched her shoulder and gulped. Another drop of rain dripped onto the base of her neck, sending a shiver down her spine. Meira?s breath quickened as she collapsed to the ground, feeling frantically for the path she was certain she had followed to this point. Nothing. It was only now that Meira became acutely aware of her situation.

I?m lost. I?m lost in the forest. At night.

Gazing into the void stretched out before her, Meira?s voice cracked as she uttered the only thing a young teenage girl in her situation could.

?Oh crap??

---

To be continued...

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
*triple-thumbs-up*

No worries, I know how that kind of RL stuff is.

nintendonut888

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
Oh god, how did this happen? Where did I go wrong?

The young samurai huddled beneath one of the larger trees in the area as she did her best to gather her thoughts. To escape this predicament, she had to calmly assess the situation and decide on the best plan of action.

Why me? Out of all the people in the village, why me, of all people? Th-there must be someone out there who has it in for me, I mean especially. They’re the ones who did this to me. Why must everything bad always happen to me?  Damn it damn it damn it damn it damn iiiiiiit-

It was not going very well.

Her original intent for entering the forest entirely forgotten at this point, Meira’s fragmented thoughts were dominated entirely by terror. A good part of her knew that traveling into the forest at night was a bad idea, but Meira had cast off rationality in favor of the power of believing in herself. She made a mental note to never follow such crackpot advice ever again. ..If I ever get a chance to use it again…

Meira trembled in place, her heart pounding. Part of her wanted to scream, another part wanted to cry, and yet at the same time none of her wanted to move at all. It was as if the mere act of moving would cause her to become even more lost. The samurai knew staying in place was just as dangerous if not more so, but fear was the emotion of the moment. An eternity seemed to pass with Meira locked in indecision.

After some time in this state, Meira began to get a hold of herself. First her breath slowed down – not quite to a normal pace but no longer resembling a fish out of water. Following this, the intense trembling lowered in frequency to a low hum. Finally, her heart rate – while still beating faster than usual – downgraded from a bass drum to a low timpani. Having exhausted the range of bodily analogies, the samurai girl took several deep breaths and listened to the sound of rain pattering onto the trees above. The ambiance helped to calm herself down and gather her thoughts.

Okay…okay. Concentrate girl. You can do this. Just think. You’re lost, yes, but you can’t be that far off from the path. One of these directions must lead back to the path. Just…start walking.

Meira nodded to her own advice. She straightened back up and clenched her fist. “I can’t let this forest get me down. I’m a strong, awesome woman, and I’m going to find my way out. I’m too cool to die now!” Psyching herself up (or at least tricking herself into feeling confident), Meira took a bold step forward and gauged her surroundings once more. Same darkness no matter where she turned. Figuring she had a one out of four chance of success, Meira span on one foot and pointed in the direction she came to a rest at. Meira pumped her fists and took the first step towards her destiny.

“I will not be beaten. The cool samurai girl wi-AAAAAH!”

Meira shrieked as she caught something leaping at her out of the corner of her eye. Instinct took over and she leapt backwards, landing in a pose somewhere between a karate battle stance and protecting her eyes from sunlight. Petrified, it took a moment for the girl to realize what she was looking at; More specifically, what she was looking down at.

Oh, it’s just a frog. Meira gulped. That’s only a little better than what I thought it was. Meira was not too fond of frogs. The samurai girl remained perfectly still and kept her gaze trained on her slimy assailant. The frog flicked one of its eyes in Meira’s direction and croaked. Without a second glance, it hopped forward once more and continued on its way. Meira took a deep breath in, gathered her courage, and started forward.

---

Hoot, hoohoohoot

The hoot of an owl resonated through the otherwise quiet forest. Meira looked up from the ground upon hearing it, but soon returned to searching for the path she had lost. The sounds of the last ten or fifteen minutes had been nothing if not monotonous: The drops of rain upon the canopy; the rapid beating of her heart; the faint squelch of her shoes against the moist grass beneath her; the constant thoughts of “Where is the exit? Where is the exit?”

Meira cast a nervous glance back and forth. Nothing had changed since the last time she checked about a minute before. In front of her, behind her, to her left and to her right, there was nothing but trees for as far as she could see. In the time since she began searching for an exit, Meira’s eyes had fully adjusted to the darkness. The formerly vast expanses of darkness were much more visible than they were before, and she could now see about ten meters in each direction. A surprising amount of light streamed through the trees; the combination of light and shadow formed an almost purple hue over the midnight forest. The samurai was not any less on edge because of her improved range of vision however. Though she saw nothing, she had no idea how visible she was to…them.

Hoot, hoohoo

Again! Meira could not help but feel unnerved by the owl’s call. Were it not for its chilling hoot, she could give herself the illusion that she was alone in this dark forest, that this was merely a trial of guts. It was not the owl itself that frightened Meira, oh no. Their eyes were unsettling for sure, but what made her hair stand on end was those more unnatural inhabitants: The youkai.

Yes, those denizens of the forest that Meira had heard of all her life were now closer than they had ever been in her life. The very first thing children in the Human Village were taught in school was that youkai are a human’s natural enemies. Even though youkai walk through the streets daily and may even appear polite, you must never be fooled – if they could get away with it any one of them would snap you up without a second thought.

She had been idolizing them just a bit ago, but Meira was quite scared of youkai. Supernatural beings, they could physically overpower any human. Worse, they were all but immune to physical attacks, leaving normal humans powerless to resist them. Though they take the forms of humans most of the time, the schools taught that they were nothing like humans, and defenseless girls like Meira were regarded as mere livestock. Worst of all, their powers that she fantasized over only a couple hours ago could be used to manipulate any human into their hands.

One youkai rumored to live in this very forest was the dreaded night sparrow. This beast would chirp an innocent-sounding bird song to passers-by. At first the song would be unnoticeable, grating at most. As time went on however, the night path would grow darker and begin disappearing before their eyes. Soon, the bewitching song would cast a sense of blindness over the victim, until the sparrow’s song is all they could perceive. And then, when they are unable to see anything, the song would get louder as the night sparrow drew closer… and closer…until finally…

Meira shuddered. If she were to run into this beast now, she wouldn’t stand a chance. She had spent almost her whole life in the village, safe from the clutches of the more outwardly aggressive youkai. But now…

Hoohoohoo

Now I gotta be careful, or else I’m youkai food. Meira held her arm close to her chest as she continued through the endless sea of trees.

---

Nothing. Still nothing…

The samurai girl groaned as her search for the path continued to prove fruitless. At this point she knew that this must have been the wrong way all along, but turning back was even more depressing. She let out a sigh and decided to continue forward in hopes of finding her own way out.

Man…if only there was any way of knowing where I was. Everything looks so samey I can’t even be sure I’m going straight. How big is this forest anyway? Meira clenched her teeth. After ten more minutes had passed without incident, Meira calmed down enough to find things to complain about again.

Meira took a deep breath in and blew it out in exasperation. She glanced up at the blanket of leaves above her with a look of contempt, and saw something that caught her attention: There was a sizable break in the canopy. Raindrops were still falling, but Meira could make out a few brighter stars in the patches of sky beyond the gap.

Wait a minute… If I can climb through that, I can see where I am in this forest! Meira’s eyes lit up for the first time all day. The samurai girl looked under the gap and picked out a sturdy-looking branch on a nearby tree she could use. It wasn’t exactly the model climbing tree, but there were enough smaller branches to climb a decent way up, at least up to the foliage. With heightened spirits Meira swiftly began climbing.

The cool samurai girl was a bit exhausted from all the events that had transpired that day, but motivation is a great climbing tool, and soon Meira was dangling from the branch she had her eye on earlier. With a grunt, Meira pulled herself onto the thin yet sturdy branch. Meira hugged the trunk for balance and looked up at the gap, which was now only a few feet above her. The light from outside the forest made the opening appear as a halo, and Meira slowly stood up in order to meet it. The young girl’s heart pumped with excitement as she the approached the ray of hope that would lead her out of the forest.

Closer…closer…

I…I can’t reach.

Meira’s heart sunk lower than ever before; the canopy met her at eye level. Meira wanted so badly to step over to the mocking leaves and tear them apart, but she didn’t want to lose her grip on the trunk. Instead she seethed at her petite frame. Meira had always admired the image of the tall, long-haired girl with a fanclub of younger girls fawning over her, but her body decided it wanted to be a pathetic 161 centimeters instead. To think that even her own body would be against her at a time like-

Wait, what if there’s another branch above this one? Meira chuckled at how she had missed such a possibility. Meira shuffled up against the trunk, holding onto it tight as she squinted upwards. The tree indeed was unusually thin on leaves, and as a result the next usable branch was over a meter above her. But if I can reach it, I’m sure to be able to see everything! Taking care not to look down, Meira hugged the trunk and resumed her ascent.

I can’t look down, gotta keep my eye on the prize. Go go go girl! The climb was rougher than before due to the lack of footholds, but Meira was a surprisingly good climber. Her scabbard clanged softly as her legs wrapped around the trunk for support. In this way, she lifted herself closer and closer to her goal. Just a couple feet short, Meira’s left hand brushed against a small branch on the other side of the trunk. She grinned at her luck, grasped the branch –

And took in a sharp breath as she grabbed something decidedly untree-like.

Squishy, furry, on a tree- oh god!

Meira yelped and immediately let go of the creature she grabbed, flailing her hand wildly to drive it away. Though she never got a good look at the beast, the high pitched squeaks left no question in the girl’s mind that it was the master of the night; the most dangerous and frightening of all bugs: It could be none other than a slimy bat! Her desperate attempts to keep it away proved fruitless, and the samurai girl saw to her horror a shrieking shadow rush towards her. Instinctively she ducked her head to the right.

The bat grazed her ear with one of its disgusting wings in its escape, but this was far from Meira’s only problem now. The sudden jerk of her head - coupled with her left hand no longer holding anything – threw off her balance enough to cause the girl’s torso to swing and partially twist around the trunk.  In only a couple seconds her head had sunk below her right arm. From this position Meira was presented a great view of just how high she had climbed.

!

To Meira’s horror, her remaining hand started to slip from the awkward position. She summoned all her strength and attempted to tighten her grip with her remaining arm.

“No! No! Nono! Noooooo!” Her emphatic protests proved to be of no use, and her arm gave way to the increased weight.

!!

With nothing left to support her, the samurai’s body fell backwards. Tight as her legs were wound around the trunk, they too were unable to handle the stress put upon them. There was a fleeting second where Meira’s descent came to a halt, but then her legs slipped -

And then there was nothing holding her up.

Ohnoohnoohnoohno-

Meira felt a dull thud on her left shoulder blade as she slammed into the branch she had balanced on before. The pain was nothing compared to the twenty foot drop coming into view as her body bounced off the branch. If only she had something to –

There is!

Meira threw her left arm out towards the branch. Her arm rolled off the branch, allowing her hand to grab it. It was nothing short of a miracle.The girl had no time to celebrate however; the momentum of her fall launched her body under the branch. Meira swung for only a few seconds before she lost her tenuous grip on the branch. Because she had fallen away from the trunk, she couldn’t count on any of the smaller branches to save her this time. She was out of hope.

“AAAAAAAA-wh-wh-wha?!

The biggest shock of all came to Meira when she landed on her feet. She stumbled backwards from the angle had landed. With one final crash, Meira sprawled onto the ground face-up. Her eyes were out of focus from terror, her lungs gasping for air. After a few seconds of this, the panic attack ended as abruptly as the fall. Meira gazed at the gap in the canopy above without thinking a single thought. For one minute she just wanted to sit listlessly, feeling nothing other than her samurai garb soaking from the damp grass.

“Okay, that is out of the question.”

The shaken girl finally found the strength to pull herself to her feet. She winced a bit at the pain. Her legs were rather stiff, but all things considered they fared rather well. She got lucky. Well, as lucky as she could be in a situation like this. Meira stretched to try and relieve the tension in her back, but it didn’t help much.

Well, gotta keep going…

Meira took in a deep breath and continued her search without a second glance at the cruel, mocking opening in the impenetrable darkness. There had to be another way to escape this forest – she just had to find it.

---

It has been a year today since I started this fic on a whim. I would say it's come a long way but...heck, it really hasn't. :P Still, it's been pretty fun to watch Meira grow, or in this case shrink in terror. I'm not sure how well this chapter will be received, but I hope you enjoyed it on some level.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:39:04 AM by nintendonut888 »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
Hm...  Interesting.  I has a theory.

Though I am still wondering which way our errant Samurai is going.  And what Kotohime's response will be if Meira doesn't make it home by dawn....

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
I has a theory.

It could be bunnies?

Looking forward to seeing how Meira will find her way out of the forest.

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2011, 06:21:28 AM »
I like the balance between the "oh shit I'm stuck" intensity and Meira's usual comic derpery. :3

nintendonut888

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
Urameshiyaaaaaaa Surprise! It's certainly been a while. Not only was school really nasty those last two months, but this and that has stopped up the progress of this fic for some time now. I was...thinking, about how amateurish my writing is. There are so many ways it could be better if I were to rewrite it now. More than that, I was worried that I had completely lost the spirit of the story I originally wanted to tell. However, after doing some thinking, I realized that this was the natural order of things. The original path of the story is perhaps one fit for an alternate ending, but it is too late to return to that path. The story has taken a life of its own, and I can only watch and continue writing it to its conclusion. I hope you will continue to join me on this journey.

With my late night ramblings out of the way, let us begin!

---

“Nngh…”

Once again the cool samurai found herself resting against one of the hundreds of trees in the Forest of Magic. A long time had passed since the incident with the tree of false hope. How long exactly was impossible to tell for Meira. An hour? Two hours? Certainly it couldn’t have been only a half hour…in any case, Meira simply couldn’t walk anymore and reluctantly sat down to rest.

*pat pat pat*

She was certainly not happy with sitting still though; even though she had not seen even a hint of a youkai, the eerie silence only confirmed in her mind that the beasts of the forest were there, watching…waiting for her to let her guard down. She absolutely could not let that happen; this “rest” only left her more on edge than ever before. Meira scrunched the area around her eye and groaned; the forest was beginning to take its toll on the samurai’s mental state. She just wanted this all to go away…she just wanted to go home… Meira let out a sigh and allowed her eyes to draw to a close.

*pat pat pat*

Wait, what am I doing?!

Meira snapped back up and brought a fist to her forehead. “Was I really going to go to sleep? No you idiot, that’s exactly what got you into this situation in the first place.” Meira gritted her teeth and did her best to fight off her exhaustion. Meira’s eyes scanned her surroundings, desperate for something to hang onto.

The ground? Meira looked at the moss-covered earth. She hadn’t thought about it, but the mud caused by the rain no doubt had left her samurai robes an absolute mess. And worst of all, after that fall her hair fell into it too…

*pat pat pat*

Finding no further mental stimulation there, Meira’s thoughts turned to the tree she was leaning with. Its bark was rough and pointy, and her neck was starting to get a rash. Why did this forest have to have such antagonistic trees?

No, I’ve already thoroughly gone into how trees suck. Something else…

*pat pat pat*

Meira snorted. “This forest is all the same anyway. Maybe if anything looked the least bit different, I could find something. Maybe I could even find my way out. Maybe if-“

*pat pat pat*

“Maybe if this FREAKING RAIN WOULD STOP, ARGH!”  Meira pounded the ground with her fist.

She held her head in frustration as she found her object of fixation and growled at the canopy above her. The pattering of the rain, once calming, was now beating into her mind with each passing second. How could she have ever thought this was relaxing?!

Wait a second though. This rain is pretty damn annoying, but aren’t the leaves and branches up there what are really to blame?

That’s right. In the end, trees really were the source of all Meira’s problems. The samurai put “burn the forest” on her list of things to do once she became all-powerful. Yet, the part that really got to Meira was how puny the flora in the forest was.

“I mean, these trees aren’t even that big. If it were anyone else stuck in this forest they could just fly right above these trees and would have been out of here hours ago. They wouldn’t even have to think about it.”

Meira felt a pit growing in her stomach as her thoughts turned to this cold truth. Indeed, the average person in the village could float in the air at will due to their spiritual power. They could concentrate their innate energy into bullets and use them both for show and for combat. The lucky few even had supernatural abilities to make the world turn in their favor. And what do these people do? They just take it for granted. They’ve got all these amazing talents some people would kill for, and they just…use them. It was disgusting. Meira couldn’t help but growl.

Those dorks wouldn’t last one day in my world. Take away their power and they’d probably drown in a well. A full well.

Meira was getting really steamed now. What would they do if they were here, hopelessly lost and scared out of their minds, never sure when their next step could be their last? They’d just curl up in a ball and cry, that’s what!

“Those ungrateful assholes, I hate them!” Meira pounded the tree and curled up into a ball.

“God damn it…”

The hot-headed samurai rubbed her temples to nurse her headache. “Why am I even letting those jerks get to me? Those jerks couldn’t survive without those stupid abilities made for jerks. If anything, this just proves how much better I am than everyone else. So why…?”

Meira lifted her head and gazed at the canopy, letting out a deep sigh.

All my life, I’ve seen others fly above the rooftops. All my life, I’ve seen the other kids shoot bullets and make those cutesy patterns with their danmaku. All my life, I’ve had to watch them from below. All…my…life… Meira’s hands balled into a fist.

“But…but you know what? I don’t really care. I don’t! What’s the point of spiritual power anyway, if all you can do is shoot cutesy girly patterns with them? It’s stupid! A true fighter swears by her sword! You don’t need any sissy energy to wield a sword. Those lame-os can keep their stupid danmaku. I don’t need it. I don’t want it!

Then why…

Meira’s lips curled up. “And flying…the flying’s so stupid too. Everyone always looks sooooo happy when flying in the sky. I mean what are they, five? Sure it’d be useful to get out of here, but honestly, they are so lazy! What would they do if they were trapped here like me? That’s right, they’d just curl up and cry, just like I said. Those lazy-ass losers can keep their flying. A real adult doesn’t need such kiddy things.

Then why…?!

Meira noticed her fists were shaking and tried to still them. She looked at the moist ground. “It’s just…why do they have to enjoy this stuff so much? The kids, the grown-ups, why do they all have so much fun with this? It’s all so stupid. So why…?” Meira’s breathing became heavy. “The flying, the danmaku, the flying people and the flying danmaku they shoot, who gives a flying fuck? It’s all so fricking idiotic, so why…why…”

Why not me too?

Meira’s shoulders drooped. She rubbed her eyes, which seemed to have gotten some dust in them. She found her hand covering her eye again.

“God…I feel like shit.” Meira did not like these new feelings of self-loathing, so she decided it must be time to get moving again. Grunting, she struggled to her feet. This mocking forest stretched all around her, but surely there must be an escape to this horrible nightmare.

I’ll prove it them…I’ll prove I don’t need their powers. I’ll find my own way out. Because this is the only way I can be better…I’ve got to do this. Meira did her best to hold back her tears.

---

Man…

Shapes swirled in and out of focus. Her legs could not stop moving, for if they did she would collapse.

Man…

All alertness had faded. The never-ending tension brought by her hidden enemies had taken its toll on Meira, and she finally gave up her paranoid vigil. She hardly even cared anymore if she was caught.

It never ends…

At some point it occurred to Meira that the Forest of Magic couldn’t possibly be this big and she was most likely traveling in circles. Not that she could tell since the forest all looks the same.

“Oh well. What does it matter anyway. Better keep moving…” She could barely bother to keep her eyes open. Her feet hurt and her eyes were dry and the clanging of her scabbard was close to creating a bruise in her leg and she just didn’t care anymore. Sometimes she wondered if there ever was a life before the forest. Maybe she died at that tree and this is hell.

Well, that’s fine then. I don’t care anymore. This may as well be hell. Just let some youkai take me to he-

*Crack*

“AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” Meira snapped up and leapt to her side, crashing against a nearby tree. Her gasps for air punctuated the silence as her bloodshot eyes scanned her surroundings for the enemy. Seeing nothing, she took a few deep breaths and let go of her chest.

“W…wha…what was that?” She gazed at the ground and found a small twig. Meira groaned, picked up and threw the broken pieces into the trees.

“Fuck damn iiiiiiit.” The newly awoken samurai shook her head and continued straight ahead.

Wait, was this the way I was heading before?

Meira’s eyes opened wide as she considered this fact. She concentrated as best she could on the trees, the ground…a quick look in vain for the path…nothing she could use to orient herself.

“ShiiiiiiiIIIIIIT!”

I did it again! I’m gonna get lost. Again. Why do I have to be so useless?!

“Grr…I. Can’t. Take. This.” Meira rolled her eyes around her.

This forest, it’s said nothing to me! Not a single sign of the way out! Why is everything so silent? Why won’t it say anything? Am I not good enough for it? Then why won’t it let me out? Why won’t it let me out? WHY WON’T IT LET ME OUT?!

“God, something, happen alreadyyy! I wish Noroiko would just pop out or something already so I could relax. Anything, damn. This tension is killing me!”

Meira froze at this thought. Did she just…wish for her sister? That psychotic little snot that attacked her and ran off into the night? She really must be going crazy! She shook her head and stormed forward.

*pat pat pat*

*pat pat pat*

*pat pat pat*

You know, she’s not so bad, Noroiko. Meira’s expression softened. I mean, sure we have our fights, but…is she really that hard to like? The samurai’s weary mind drifted…

---

”King meee!”

“No no Noroiko, that’s not how you play Checkers!” Meira grabbed her little sister’s hand, which had attempted to move a piece to the other side in one go. The young toddler pouted.

“You move it diagonally, remember?” The younger sister tilted her head. “Die a gone alley?” Meira moved her red piece up and to the right. “You see? Like that. Di-ag-on-ally.” She moved it back.

“Now it’s your turn.” Noroiko slowly nodded, picked up the piece she had attempted to move before, and moved it diagonally to the other side of the board.

“King meee!” Noroiko’s grin was insufferable. Meira did her best to control her temper.

“No! Move it back!” She forced her kid sister’s hand once more.  “You can only move one space at a time!”

“Wha? But that’s booooriiiing.”

“It’s the rules!”

“Rules are booooriiiiiiiing.”

Meira nodded. “Yes, exactly!” She paused. “I mean, yes, yes they are, but in this case you have to follow them, otherwise we can’t play.”

Noroiko puffed her cheeks. “Mmmmmwaaaaah. Fine!” She picked up the piece once more, glaring at her older sister. She then slowly and deliberately moved it one space diagonally.

“Good! Now it’s my turn.”

---

“Wha? No fair! You moved two spac-HEY! GIMME MY PIECE BACK!” Noroiko pounded at Meira’s arms as she retrieved the piece she captured.

“You jump over pieces to capture them. What, I didn’t tell you that yet? Must have slipped my mind.” Meira flipped the piece and caught it, a big smirk on her face. Noroiko’s eyes looked as though they could kill, or at least curse.

“Fine then! My turn!” The enraged toddler took one of her pieces and moved it over another piece several spaces away and snatched it away. Meira was stunned.

“No Noroiko, no! NO!” She reached for her piece, but her little sister was too nimble. The young girl fell instead on the checker board, knocking the pieces out of alignment.

“Oooh. See what you did Noroiko?!”

Noroiko crossed her arms and looked away. “You fell, not me!” Meira couldn’t say anything to this but growl. “Nngh. Fine, just help me put the pieces back.” Noroiko dropped her angry face and set to work helping. Within a minute, the pieces were more or less returned to their original positions.

“Alright Noroiko. I put that piece back, so it’s your turn again. Only jump pieces next to yours, okay?”

“Okay!” Her chipper voice should have immediately alerted Meira that something was up, but not until it was too late did she notice that Noroiko had replaced one of her pieces right next to the end of the board.

“King meee!” Meira could only gawk at what just happened.

“King meee!” She felt a nerve snap.

“What’s wrong? King meee!” Something about those sparkling eyes just…

Meira’s hands balled into fists. “No! I will NOT king you! In fact I’m gonna DECK you if you don’t shaddup!” Meira bent down to throw the piece across the room when-

*THWACK*

Meira froze as she took a deck of thrown cards to the forehead. Noroiko covered her mouth and giggled incessantly, but Meira could no longer hear her. She couldn’t feel the dozens of cards fluttering down over her hands, over the ruined checkers game. All she could feel was the blood in her veins writhing, boiling. All she could feel now…was hate.

“AaaaaAAAAAAAAH!” Meira pounced at her sister, who deftly moved out of the way. A loud thump resounded. She scrambled to her feet and whipped her head to meet her opponent, and was met with a card thrown straight to the bridge of her nose. Incidentally, it was a king.

“Ah-! Youuuuu!” This time Meira charged her sister on foot – or at least she intended to. In reality she took one step and slipped on the pile of checkers pieces and was sent tumbling to the ground. While she tried to catch her breath, Noroiko trotted up to her fallen sibling and stepped on her back, then rolled over her.

“Captured you! Now you’re mine!” She cackled to herself.

Meira seethed, but saw her chance. She made a grab at her sister’s legs and jerked them backwards. The lightweight toddler didn’t stand a chance, and crumpled to the ground.

“Ha ha ha, I got you now you little brat!”

“Wha-wha-whaaa. Meira, that’s cheating! Waaaaaah!” She kicked her feet in vain. Meira rose up over her sister, maintaining her grip on her little sister’s legs. She lowered her head above Noroiko.

“You said it yourself Noroiko: Rules are boring.” She grinned.

“Now it’s time to play wheelbarrow!” Noroiko’s eyes opened wide and she struggled. “Nooooooo!”

*bang bang bang*

“Girls, what are you two doing in there?!”

Both girls spoke in unison. “Nothing mother!” Eventually the image behind the sliding door sighed and walked away, and the pair instantly returned to the eternal struggle, grinning all the while.

---

Meira sighed, a wistful smile on her face. “She can be a real pain sometimes, but…I guess she only ever wanted to have fun.” The lost samurai’s eyes narrowed in sadness. “I admit…I had fun, too. Noroiko…will I ever see you again?” She sniffed.

And mom too. Oh god, I didn’t even think of mom. The samurai’s thoughts turned to the tyrannical matriarch that was her mother. The one that always stood in her way and talked her ear off over every stupid thing.

But, was she really that bad?

“She’s quite a pain, yeah…but she’s always been good to me, huh… She’s never tried to throw me out, she never asks me to do any chores…” Meira sighed.

“Maybe she was right to lecture me all these years. After all, where I am now…” Meira’s lips curled into a sardonic smile.

Meira’s eyes refocused and she noticed that she had stopped walking. That was fine; there was no point in trying anymore. All she could bring herself to do now was stare at the impenetrable forest in despair.

What is she going to think when I’m not there tomorrow? When she finds out I’m gone, she’ll freak out, she’ll be hysterical! It will be just like with father!

Something clicked in Meira’s mind. It’ll be just like with father. A shiver ran down her spine as a long repressed memory began to surface.

“Just…like…father…”

---

“Cmon Jack! Kick that big bad eye’s butt!” Meira kicked her legs under the kotatsu as she read her favorite comic book by the light of the morning sun.

“Meira, please don’t use language like that in the house.” Meira narrowed her eyes at her mother, who had been pacing around the room nervously for the past hour.

“Moooom, it’s not a bad word; it’s cool!” She had gotten up early so Noroiko wouldn’t be up and making noise as usual, but now she had her worrywart mom to deal with instead.

“Meira dear, please, not now.” She eyed the door again for the third time in as many minutes. The young girl rolled her eyes. “Moooom, dad’s gonna be just fine. He’s just a little late coming home is all.”

Very late!” She stamped her foot toward Meira. She took a large breath in and regained her composure. “I-I know he often comes home late when he goes out hunting, but this is far too late! Where is he?!” She fiddled with her shirt collar.

Meira huffed. “Then yell at him when he comes home, not me!” She buried herself back into her comic book.

“Gwa ha ha, it’s over for you Jack! Now all of the lands of Japan are miiiiine.” She turned the page. “What do you have to say puny samurai? Cower before the great Mastoff! Gwa ha haaaaaaa!” Meira grinned in anticipation for her favorite part. The blood-soaked face of the titular samurai gave the evil eye a steeled glare as he supported himself with his long, equally blood-soaked katana.

“Where do you get off, Mastoff? Japan can’t be owned by the likes of you! This is a land of honor! This is a land of freedom! It can only belong to the strong and cool, like me!” He rose to his feet, a powerful aura growing around him. Meira voiced her favorite line of the whole comic:

“On my honor, I, the cool samurai guy Jack, will not give up Japan to the likes of you! PREPARE YOURSELF MASTOFF!”

”Meira, please.” Meira was shaken a bit by her mom’s outburst and nearly dropped her comic.

“M-mom…” She was not used to being yelled at like this; tears were welling up. Her mom’s eyes softened, but Meira didn’t give her time to say anything else.

“FINE, I’LL GO AWAY THEN!” Meira snatched up her comic, hopped to her feet and ran to her room.

---

“S-stupid mom...” Meira was sitting on her bed, hugging her knees. “Why’s she always got to think about herself? Doesn’t she care about her daughter?” She sniffed.

Meira didn’t get why her mom was worried - Her dad was awesome! Every week him and his drinking buddies would go off and fight the evil youkai surrounding the village, to protect us all. He was amazing – almost as cool as Jack. He’d always come home with tales of near escapes and stunning victories over savage youkai, showing her his battle scars and letting her feel his muscles. A man like her dad would never do anything selfish like die, and she loved him for it. Someday, when her spiritual energy awakened she wanted to be just like him, wandering the outskirts of the village and driving off the bad guys.

Meira giggled, her tears having already dried up. “What’s holding him up I wonder? Did he chase the youkai all night? Have fun drinking afterwards? Getting a present for his favorite daughter?? Aah, I can’t wait for him to come home.” Meira grinned. Until he came back and settled down her fretful mom, she just had to settle with her fictional idol. She flopped onto her stomach and picked up where she left off.

“Gwa ha ha, what a foolish samurai you are to oppose the great Mastoff! Prepare to meet your honorable doooooooom!” The titanic eye demon fired a powerful beam, which the cool samurai guy jack deflected with his katana like a badass. With a mighty shout, Jack jumped forth.

Several panels of incomprehensible movement (but many loud sound effects and colorful explosions) later, Jack was on the counterattack. The golden aura around him intensified as he made a cool samurai pose, his katana balanced on his free hand and pointed straight at the iris of his adversary. He charged forward with a mighty cry in untranslated English:

“Jack attack!”

Meira giggled at her hero’s catch phrase. She didn’t understand English, but it sure sounded cool.

The young samurai fangirl heard the faint sound of a door opening. “Aah, there’s dad. I’ll go say hi after this.”

“Gwa ha ha! You fool! You have fallen right into my trap!” Mastoff leered and fired a colorful laser beam at the samurai charging at him.

Gritting his teeth, Jack leapt forward and thrust his katana forward.

“Gwa ha ha, die samur-aaaaaaai?!”

To Mastoff’s shock and horror, Jack pierced the beam with his blade, cutting it in two. Meira squee’d in her mind at how awesome Jack was, as though she hadn’t read the issue a hundred times before. Once again she had to voice the awesomeness.

“THE COOL SAMURAI GUY JACK WILL NOT-“

“MEIRA!”

Meira yelped as the door to her room slammed open. At the doorway was her mom, her breathing labored to the point of hyperventilation. Argh, again you have to ruin my fun? She scowled in contempt.

“Moooom, what now? Did dad tell you o-“

“Meira…Meira…!” Tears were streaming down her face. Meira blinked. “Mom…?”

“Meira, Your father…he’s…” Meira’s mom staggered over to her and collapsed by her bedside. Meira didn’t understand – what could have happened?

“M-mom, what is it? What about dad?”

“Y-you’re father…he’s…he’s…” Her mom wiped her tears. “Your father is…”

Meira’s eyes opened wide.

---

Meira still felt the bitter taste of that morning when her father did not return from his weekly hunting game. One of his friends appeared before them, covered in deep gashes, to break the news of his death. Never before or since had Meira seen her mom look so devastated. For over a week after the funeral, she stayed in her room. She left her bed at most three times a day; she wouldn’t eat, she wouldn’t cook, it was a rare occasion she would do more than mumble in response to Meira’s attempts at communicating. It was then that Meira began to distance herself from her wreck of a mom. Even after she recovered, Meira never forgave her mom for such a self-centered period of weakness and neglect.

For her part, Meira was of course broken by her father vanishing from her life. He was her role model. Her hero! He wasn’t supposed to die like that, so soon. It tore at her every day as well.

Yet, Meira refused to let herself cry at his burial. While her mom buried her face in her hands and Noroiko tugged at her sleeves, still too young to fully understand what was happening, Meira could only stare at the casket with steeled eyes. She knew her dad wouldn’t want her to cry. Instead, she had to get strong, to grow powerful, to make her father proud.

But mom, she never wanted that. It’s always been “come home by supper” this and “don’t wave swords around the house” that and “surely you don’t think that is sanitary” all the time. Never was she allowed to follow her dreams. Why…?

Meira closed her eyes and let out a distressed sigh. Her legs sank to a sitting position (getting her robes further muddied). With all the stress of being lost, of the endless trees, and from looking for youkai predators, Meira’s mind was too exhausted to care about the forest any longer. The samurai gave in to exhaustion and let her mind wander once more among her memories, looking for a pleasant memory to latch onto in her final hour.

*pat pat pat*

*pat pat pat*

*pat pat pat*

A rare embrace from mom… That felt nice…

---

“Mom? Wha-what are you doing?”

“Meira…I love you.”

“Wha- Mooom, you’re embarrassing me! I’m not a little-“

“Meira, please never leave me…please don’t throw your life away like your father…”

“…Don’t tell me what to do!”

“Please Meira…just lead a normal life. Don’t throw it all away over senseless pride…promise me…*sniff*”

“…”

“A-aaaah!” Meira gasped. Her hands were cupped over her mouth. “What mom said…she meant…!”

Live a normal life…that’s what my mom wanted? But…but I’ve never…aaaaahoh my god

True, this was always an implication from her mom’s constant disapproval of Meira’s behavior, but Meira had never seriously stopped to think just why this was until now. It’s so obvious now… Her father’s dangerous lifestyle, concluded by a violent death…why wouldn’t she disapprove of her daughter following his path in life? Her mom wanted only for her two daughters to live a comfortable life.

“Mom…only wanted us to be normal…” Well, that’s all well and good for her, but Meira, who desperately wanted power to match and surpass everyone, couldn’t possibly live with that. Without power, she felt beneath everyone. If she couldn’t get stronger…

“…AAH!” Her arms started shaking, her mind practically shattering over what she now realized.

I’ve wanted power so badly. I’ve searched for it for so long…I’m nothing without it! I NEED it to be worth anything! But…

“Promise me…”

But…!

“Just lead a normal life…”

I never saw that there was someone who accepted me all along…
Tears began welling up in Meira’s eyes. “Mom…you’ve only ever been looking out for me…you never hated me. But I…I…” On the verge of tears, the samurai brought her quaking hand over her eye.

*pat pat pat*

No! What am I doing? I can’t let myself be brought down like this. I’ve got to…got to keep moving. I can’t believe I’m doing this melodramatic shit. I’ve got to calm down. I’m going to find my way out!

Meira attempted to tame the tremors reverberating throughout her body and forced herself to her feet. Her vision was cloudy from tears, but if she just started moving…

*step*

Surely she could escape…

*step*

She would be able to prove her strength, something that…

*shiver*

That…

*shiver*

“Oh god…” Meira brought her hands over her face.

I’m…such…trash…

Meira collapsed to her knees. Her chest was heaving; she couldn’t control herself any longer.

“Wah…Waaaaaaaaah…wa-waaaaaah!” The tears…they wouldn’t stop. But Meira couldn’t care less at this point.

“Mommyyyyyy! I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! I’ve been so…so stupid! I-I…oh god, I want to go home! I want to see you again! I don’t want to die! I want to live! Please, let me out…let me out…” Meira wept bitterly into the night.

“I’ve been so blind…I’ve been…so…blind… I want to see you all again…Noroiko…mommy…Kotohime…Ms. Kamishirasawa…”

Meira choked.

“…Well, not Ms. Kamishirasawa, but…ooh, I’m so stupid.” The formerly silent forest now rang with the laments of the broken samurai.

“All this time, I could have just lived normally…I would have been fine that way. Why did I insist on following father? I wanted power…I wanted power?! Well look where it got me! STUCK IN A FUCKING FOREST!” Meira dug her nails into the ground as she crumpled into a pitiful wreck.

“I’M SORRY! I’LL BE GOOD! I’LL BE A GOOD GIRL FROM NOW ON! So please…somebody…help me…help me…”

*sob*

*rustle*

Meira’s heart stopped.

What…was…that…? She gulped. She prayed it was just another bat.

*rustle*

Meira’s breath quickened. It was faint, but she could hear a wooshing sound, almost like…wings. Slowly she lifted her trembling head and looked up. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

The first thing she saw were the wings she had heard. Short, thick, batlike wings. The next thing she saw was the body – or, what could be called the body. A small, round green center about the size of a soccer ball.

Of course, Meira could no longer notice the center without seeing it for what it was – a single large eye. With a somehow menacing look, the eye stared back at Meira, its “whites” actually blood red. There the green cyclops hovered, without making a sound. 

Meira could feel her breath receding. A youkai. A youkai had finally found her. A large, creepy, no doubt slimy youkai had found her. A big scary eye had found her. And it was looking

Right

At

Her.

And then it moved.

“H…HYAAAAAAA!” Meira nearly fell backwards as she scrambled to her feet and ran as fast as her legs could carry her.

---

Countless trees whirled in Meira’s vision as she ran for her life. Were these trees ones she had passed by already? Meira couldn’t even think straight, and it didn’t matter anyway. All that mattered is that she run, run until she could run no more.

ohgodimgoingtodiepleasedontletmedieaaaaaaah

Meira was functioning on pure adrenaline at this point. It was all she could do to weave and avoid smashing into the trees. Several times she nearly lost her balance and grazed the sides of a tree. She couldn’t afford that. She could not afford any mistakes.

No, no, this can’t be happening…THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!

It was a pure nightmare. Meira, a girl who had never known true hardship in her life, now ran like prehistoric women must have ran from a savage tiger. At this moment, her thoughts echoed that of said woman: “I have to keep running or I am going to die.”

Someone, anyone, help me! I’m not strong enough…I can’t win on my own… Meira desperately wanted to shout these words, but was terrified that she would only attract more attention from youkai. So all she could do was run. So she did. She ran and ran.

Meira’s feet carried her for several minutes afterwards, deep into the forest. She never once stopped for a breath, never even stopped to change direction. Never before had she exerted herself so much, but she knew she couldn’t stop, or else she would surely perish at the hands of that horrible beast. Maybe it wasn’t as big as the youkai she had heard of, maybe it wouldn’t be all that intimidating if she could fight back, but as far as the defenseless Meira was concerned, that eyeball was a shinigami coming to take her life away. She had to run. She had to run…

Finally, Meira’s strength began weakening. Her lungs felt as if they were being punctured with knives.

Oh god, I can’t keep this up much longer. Is it still following me?

Still running, Meira whipped her head the other way. It was difficult to see in this light and at this speed, but she couldn’t see the beast. Did she lose it…?

“Ah-!” Before she could see what she hit, Meira was sent tumbling through the air. Her lower leg hurt like hell, but worse was what she saw as she looked forward: A large tree stump. At this rate…!

NO!

Meira brought her arms up to her head. The gambit paid off, as her arms took the brunt of the impact. It hurt, but she could deal. She grunted and pulled herself back to her feet. She immediately regretted this action, as she stumbled sideways back against the tree stump. She took this temporary immobility as a chance to catch her breath.

“Hah…hah…guess this…is where I get off. Ooh…” It was only now that she was off her feet that she felt the agony she had just undergone. She rubbed her calf gingerly, hissing as she did so.

With this momentary peace, Meira took in her new surroundings while she waited for the throbbing in her legs to stop. She had stumbled into a clearing of sorts, thirty, maybe forty feet in each direction. For whatever reason, all the surrounding trees were cut to nothing but stumps, allowing Meira to get her first good look at the night sky in hours. It was…almost man-made. In any case, the view of the cloudy sky was a welcome sight for the weary samurai. If it weren’t for the eye demon –

Oh god! Meira whipped her head in all directions. There was no sign of the beast, and chances are she had run hundreds of feet from there. There’s no way it could have followed her.

“I…think…I…lost it…” Meira drooped her head. Her long hair fell into her face, but she didn’t care. She had survived. She was a survivor. The joy of being alive made up for the hours of torture she had been subjected to. The beautiful sky was bringing back hope to the girl’s heart. She took in the clean summer air into her lungs and let out a large sigh.

“Siiiiiiiiigh. I’m alive…I’m still standing. Heh heh…ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha-!” She pulled herself to her feet, her legs having recovered.

“I’m alive! I lost the youkai! Yes…YES!” She pumped her fists in the air. She felt better than she had all night, nay, for a long time now. “I did it! I outwitted the beasts! I’m not helpless after all! Ha…Ha!” Meira looked at her hands, which now felt like they were pulsing with energy. She grinned.

“I’m not worthless…I’m-“ Any further shouts of jubilation were abruptly cut short by a sharp blow to her back that sent her sprawling onto the grass.

“What the-?!” Meira quickly flipped onto her back and gasped. There it was, as though it had never left: The eye demon, and no worse for wear after the chase. 

Shit. What did I just learn not to do. Noise. Why did I make noise. Shit… The pit that had dug itself in Meira’s stomach all night burrowed deeper than ever before. She gulped, backing away with her hands.

*rustle*

“Wha-wha-“ Meira looked behind in horror as another, nearly identical eye demon appeared as if from nowhere. She looked between the two youkai flanking her, unsure of what to do. Quickly she leapt to her feet and tried to make a break for it.

*rustle rustle rustle*

“No…” Meira’s eyes widened as three more of the cyclopean horrors emerged from the dense foliage in front of her. She slowly stepped back into the center of the clearing. The five red-eyed monstrosities spread out and surrounded the clearing. She looked around herself desperately, but the clearing was simply not big enough – there was no opening in their formation. The five monstrous beasts looked upon her with looks of pure relish; there was no question as to their intention. She wasn’t sure what an eye could hope to do to her body, but…she shivered.

Is this…how it ends? Am I finished? Meira brought her fist to her chest. She was trapped, trapped by a pack of youkai.

No…I won’t let it end like this! I must fight back. I’ve GOT to fight back!

She had no choice but to fight…

Can I…can I really do this…? Meira gritted her teeth. She didn’t have much of a choice. The forest had finally had its fill of the samurai’s fear. This pack of youkai was its call to arms. Now was the time for her to prove to the world just what kind of a person she was. She had to kill. It was death, or die. No prisoners! One side would fall! It was her, or them!

“Bring it on…the cool samurai girl Meira…*gulp*…accepts your challenge!”

---

Maybe I was hitting this song a liiiiiiittle too hard there. ;^_^ In any case, I hope you enjoyed the fruits of my labors.

Will Meira overcome the devious denizens of the destructive deciduous...uh, forest? Or shall all her efforts and epiphanies end in tragedy? Find out in the next episode of:

Samur Eye Z!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:04:05 AM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
Samur Eye Z!!!!!!!!
http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/

Awesome chapter, as usual.

And once again, she proves herself to be even more self-absorbed than Karkat Vantas. That said: NOOOO, CLIFFHANGER
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:40:31 PM by KimikoMuffin »

nintendonut888

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:12 AM »
Welcome back! Once again, I am Ninten "Cannot keep to a schedule" Donut. As for my excuse, Tsukihime. Damn chapter lay in an 80% completed state for a whole month. >_< In any case, I hope you enjoy!

---

Meanwhile...

The Forest of Magic lay in a peaceful state of rest. The light rain pattered against the thick canopy, lulling all within with a natural melody. At times a wind would race across the tree-tops, causing the leaves to sway gently, as if rocking itself to sleep. Truly, this night was out of a dream. Quiet. Calm. Serene...

And that was exactly the problem.

?Ka-go-mee, Ka-go-mee, the bird in the cag?ggggge..!?

One of the few things to punctuate the scene was a young girl, hopping down the path from one foot to the other on each syllable of a classic folk song.

---

??Ka-go-mee, Ka-go-mee, the bird in the cagggggge. Whe-n, whe-n will you?comeout?ah?? Noroiko stuck out her tongue. Why wouldn?t the rhyme work like it always did?? Not to be stopped, she continued her jaunty hop, doing her best to make the words work.

?Ka-go-mee, Ka-go-mee??

Had the girl been supervised, a second party would no doubt have told her she was singing to the tune of ?Sakura Sakura? rather than ?Kagome Kagome.? Alas, no such luck. But misattributed lyrics were hardly the only thing vexing Noroiko. She simply could not believe this place! She must have walked through the whooooole village without finding anyone out and about!

She checked the streets?nobody there.

She checked the park?nobody there either.

She checked the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, nothing!

And they insist night is the adult?s time, hmph!

Noroiko kicked the ground, raising up a clump of dust from the worn path. She took this to mean that adults were all sleepyheads. Yeah, they must have made up ?bed-time? so they could snore loudly every night without her getting her fun. She was just about ready to give up and go home.

But then, right as she strolled into her home street, she remembered what the grown-ups always said while shaking their finger:

?Don?t you go near that forest! The big evil youkai live in there! They would gobble a little girl like you up in a second!?

That?s right; monsters are in the forest at night! Noroiko grinned in glee and galloped off to the forest as quick as her legs could take her.

The talk of the cool kids at school was about such mean and creepy crawlers that stalked the woods at night, looking for humans to snap up like a box of Meira?s hidden pocky. Kazuki at school once told her of this night sparrow that took away your eyes, making you unable to see anything as it gored you and broke your bones one by one. That sounded soooo cool! She really hoped to find one to take home.

But?

Nobody was here either! Were even the monsters too sleepy? She couldn?t believe this world.

And I was so hoping to play with them some more?

She clutched the front of her knee-length purple dress and took out a stack of paper slips.

Earlier that day, Noroiko had discovered a wonderful thing in her daily rummaging through big sister Meira?s stash of goods. Hidden among the pointy arrows, the strange metal boxes with letters she couldn?t read and other interesting junk, Noroiko found this stack of flimsy slips. She was about to pass them over, but?it was hard to explain. Her hands wouldn?t move from the stack once she touched them. It felt as though they were?calling her. She had to have them.

?Noroi?? Noroiko traced the kanji from her name that adorned the top of the first slip. It meant ?curse.? It was a bit hard to see in the forest, so she squinted in order to look at the rest. As before, pure gibberish; squiggly lines that meant nothing to her. Even so, she could feel a mighty spirit living in them. As she held the thin slips she thought she could hear a voice enticing her to recite the ancient incantation in order to unleash untold evil, pain, and suffering unto the world.

They?re SO cool!

Noroiko giggled and hugged her new friends. Now all she needed was someone to play with~ She already tested them on big sis Meira, and she was totally flattened.

?Ka-go-meeiraa. Ka-go-meeiraa.? 

Someone has to be in this forest! They?re just waiting for me to find them!

Noroiko knew there was something else here, because out of nowhere she kept hearing this faint wailing in the distance. But, she wasn?t stupid enough to leave the path to follow it. You?d have to be a complete idiot to do that.

Noroiko shrugged. She was not tired at all, and she had energy to spare. She continued down the path, eager to find her prey.

?Yo-u-kaiii, yo-u-kaiii. When oh when will you come out~??

---

???

?Hmm???? Noroiko stopped in her tracks. She thought she heard something in front of her. Could it be her prey come out to play?!

??So boring here??

It was! Something else was coming along the path! Noroiko hopped to the left and fished the curse slips out of her pocket. She shuffled under a tree to hide herself within the shadows. Whatever was coming, it was getting closer!

??Wish something?d happen??

There it is!

She picked out an outline of something about three classroom?s away. Noroiko leaned forward slightly to pick out details. It was difficult, but she could see some shapes?

Whatever it was, its bottom was all flat-like, with long flubby feet. It almost looked like those thingies?you know, the things! The funny shelled animals that cower when you tried to flick them?turtles, right! But there was more?on top of the shell there was a small, humanish shape. It looked like it was holding something long?like a sword? Yeah, a sword! It had to be! Then?this thing?must be a half-turtle, half-human swordsman youkai!

It?it?s better than I could have hoped for?!

Noroiko clapped her hands over her mouth and hopped up and down. She could see it now?

?Oh my goodness! A YOUKAI, AAH! >o<? Mommy waggled her arms.

?Don?t run away mommy, it?s my new pet! I beat it up and now it?s ours! =D? I beamed at my pet turtleman as it rubbed against me.

?Oh my gosh, it?s so cute!!! Norry, you are so brave! ^_^? *pets*

?Aren?t I? :D? *rubs against hand*

?You?re so much better than your older sister.?

?I know, I know~!?

Said sister appeared with a banana peel on her face. ?Duh, can it do my chores? I wanna swing my sword some more. :B?

?No! -^- Stupid sis can get her own pet!?

?:(?

?Geez Meira, you are such a handful. Why can?t you be more like your younger sister??

?:(?

?Suuuuuuch a handful!? I cackled. ?Don?t worry sis, you?ll catch up someday!?

?;_;?

?It?ll be juuuuuuust like that!? A huge smirk was plastered on Noroiko?s face as she wiggled her arms from side to side.

?Eeh, what was that?? A whiny, high-pitched voice brought her back to reality. She peered again and saw the big lug not one classroom away.

Right! No need to dream about it, a youkai is right here!

Noroiko gripped her curse slips. She began to concentrate.

Oh mighty spirits, speak to me! Tell me what to do!

Though there was no visible answer, Noroiko felt something from the formerly innocuous curse slips. A voice began speaking to her with strange words.

"Необходимо е да се вземе ти силата ми млада.Удари тези, които се осмеляват да не се поддават на моята воля."

Come on spirit, you know I can?t?understand?that?

The young girl?s head drooped, her eyes fluttering to a close. She let off a faint moan as she slipped into a trance.

"Да ...стане едно с мен младо момиче, и да приемат това, което сте родени да предприеме."

It?feels so strange?

Though it was not the first time that night she had called upon the great spirit?s powers, she wasn?t yet used to this feeling of taking in the thoughts of another.

White wisps rose from the curse slips and twisted around Noroiko?s arms, working their way up her small shoulders. Noroiko let out a soft gasp as they penetrated her skull.

I?feel the power. I feel your words.

Noroiko?s head was swimming. It was like apple juice was moving through her head. It felt weird, but it also felt very, very good.

?Yes?we are one now.?

Will it be more of the same then?

?You know what you must do! Burn her?destroy her!?

Noroiko nodded. This feeling?it?s soooo good. All these years, she pouted at the adults who looked down at her just because she was a kid. For so long, she felt like she could never do anything her way. But now she felt it. These curse slips were meant for her. These slips with ?curse? written on them were made for her. This is the power to do everything she?s ever wanted. And she would do anything to keep it.

She would hurt?

She would harm?

She would?

KILL

Noroiko?s eyes flashed open. She spread her arms out, splitting the decks in each hand.

Самонасочване куршума в лицето!

The kanji for ?curse? began glowing a pale white on each slip. As if an invisible bird gripped her shoulders, Noroiko slowly levitated into the air, stopping just short of a low branch. The pulses of energy were much stronger than when she had cursed Meira. Noroiko flashed a devilish grin, unable to resist the tantalizing voice within her.  Her hands were quivering with anticipation to obey. She chuckled as her victim drew near.

That?s right you youkai? Come closer?closer?

?Milady, over th-?

?SURPRISE, YOU?RE CURSED!?

Before the beast could do more than yelp, Noroiko dashed forward above the path. She tossed several curse slips into the air. The possessed toddler watched in fascination as they flew on their own at her target even though she wasn?t aiming very well. As if she knew what to do, Noroiko traced her fingers through the air. The slips bent to her command, converging towards the turtle-thing?s center.

?Aah!? The youkai screamed and swerved to the left. The slips missed, and faded into the trees. Hmm, that was a pretty girly scream. Guess it?s a turtle-girl. Noroiko clicked her tongue.

You will not evade us. We have reserves.

She bent her sleeves and more slips flew out into her hands.

?Take this!?

*fwoosh*

Because it was dark, all she could see of her slips she was controlling were the glowing kanji. The youkai dodging them must have only seen a flurry of ?curse.? The top half ducked down and once again the slips sailed over her, this time embedding themselves into the bark behind her. She?s already being driven off balance. Noroiko strafed right to push her prey against the trees.

*fwoosh*

Hee hee, she must be scared out of her mind! Noroiko commanded this volley of curses as well, directing each with one hand to smush her on both sides. To Noroiko?s surprise the youkai cut down the quicker right wave with her sword and dropped down to the ground to avoid the other wave. Another failure.

Grr, if only these could turn faster?!

Noroiko drew more slips and rose up to pin her to the ground. It won?t be long now.

?Gaah, take this!? Noroiko?s snapped back to attention and spotted several sharp-looking red triangles streaming out of the girl-part?s sword. Danmaku! Noroiko swerved her body to dodge, but was too slow. She groaned in pain as the bullets hit her in the chest and dispersed. This girl packs a punch?

Do not falter little one. See the girl? Destroy her!

?R-right.? Noroiko let out a war cry to bear the pain and flung six more curse slips at her target. She gritted her teeth and traced the air with every finger that wasn?t holding on to more slips. Her blind assault directed the slips every which way. Left, left, right, up, down, up. No way that dumb beast could dodge this!

?Kyaaaa!? Yes, a direct hit! A satisfying crackle lit up the darkness as two of the curse slips sapped life force from the girl. Noroiko felt her own power increasing and felt her head grow light. Grabbing another set between her fingers, she reared her arms to fire once more.

*fwoosh*

Noroiko cackled. This was truly heaven. The ecstasy of control, of POWER. She traced this salvo in the same erratic pattern. Her foolish target was still hunched over in pain.

It?s at my fingertips. This is the power no adult could ever know. Yes, burn youkai, burn. Fry until there?s nothing left! This is only the beginning!!!

?Grr, I don?t have to take this! BOMB!?

Bomb??

No sooner did Noroiko pause at this when she was engulfed in a blinding light. She brought her hands to her eyes.

?Y-yaaaaaah! AAAAAAAAAAUGH!? The young girl had no idea what was happening, but every inch of her body was now in extreme pain. She let go of the curse slips and clawed at her body. It was as if every part of her was being pinched.

?Ah, ah, aaaaaaaah!? She couldn?t see; the white light seared her eyes. Please, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop iiiiit!

As quickly as it came, the blinding light disappeared. A thin wisp rose from Noroiko?s shoulders.

?Aah?? Noroiko felt the energy leaving her. With nothing left to hold her up, she crumpled to the ground. She moaned, tears running down her cheeks. Her arms and legs twitched as she tried to lift herself in vain.

W-what was I doing? W-w-who is this thing? Spirit, help me?

Noroiko turned her gaze to the slips she had dropped.

"Уви, това е прекалено силен ...Аз трябва презареждане.Този кораб все още не е достатъчно силна..."

The white kanji on the slips faded away before her eyes. Time grinded to a halt.

S-spirit??

The feeling from before was gone; all that was left were her own voices. Her eyes widened.

Wait, don?t leave me!

She found the strength to reach forward and grip the slips. There was no answer. She shook them half-heartedly.

?No?n-no. Wait, I?? Noroiko sobbed.

She wasn?t good enough for the spirit. Does this mean she was just a hopeless little girl like the big kids said? She thought this was her chance to finally become a grown up, but now?now?!

?What the heck, it?s just a kid.?

!

Noroiko struggled to her feet and looked up. The thing that struck her down was now towering above her. The turtle part gazed down at her with a grouchy face, while the little girl leaned forward and wrinkled her nose. It?it was a person. Somehow this made Noroiko cry even more.

But wait, what was that? At this close distance (only a few desks above her), she could almost make out the girl?s features. She was dressed in red and white robes, and carried a big sword-like thing. She had long purple hair that would have been pretty if it weren?t frayed from the blast earlier.

?Wait?? Noroiko sniffed. Red and white robes, sword, long purple hair??

?

M-meira?!

Noroiko clutched her chest. The pain was already horrible, but, but this was done by her big sister?! Meira?she never felt so hurt in her life. This?this?!

?Wh?WHAAAAAAA, YOU BULLY! I?M TELLING MOMMY!!!? Tears streamed down Noroiko?s cheeks. Bending down and scraping together all the curse slips into her arms, she fled into the trees; she didn?t dare take the same route as Meira. She knew she wouldn?t get lost though. After all, the curse spirit will guide her back home?surely?

---

The girl let out a sigh and stretched.

?So what was her deal?? She twirled her gohei around in her fingers. Those kanji hurt, but she?ll live. There was much bigger fish to fry tonight anyway.

?The forest is full of odd characters milady. Let?s keep moving.?

---

Oh ho ho ho.

Next chapter won't be for a while. Until then, stay tuned when we return to our regularly scheduled madness! o/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:37:44 AM by nintendonut888 »

Keine Kamishirasawa

• The Great Sealed Historian
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »
Oh dear....  I see where this is going.  Meira's gonna be sooo ticked.