Author Topic: Kylesky's Corner-o'-Danmaku (Newest: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention, temp)  (Read 49434 times)

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
Re: Kylesky's Corner-o'-Danmaku (Newest: "Nitori's Garage Experiments" Video)
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2010, 11:32:10 AM »
0.0... still the most epic coding I've ever seen D:

How long did you think of this before you put it into action?

uhhh... popped into my head one morning, worked on it the next day, had the first video up the next morning :V
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:54 PM »
You need to implement snapping to angles. maybe pressing C will rotate the gun by 10? or something so that it is possible to make perfectly symmetrical shot types.

If you're already working on this, ignore my  :wikipedia:

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2010, 12:48:37 AM »
You need to implement snapping to angles. maybe pressing C will rotate the gun by 10? or something so that it is possible to make perfectly symmetrical shot types.

If you're already working on this, ignore my  :wikipedia:

On that subject, I noticed in your videos that you can only rotate clockwise. Really slowly. Maybe you wanna make it rotate the other way too? :V
If you think you can't because you mapped the controls to be arrow keys to move the gun, z to confirm, x to cancel, and c to rotate (am I right?), then you might wanna think about making it so that c toggles between moving the gun and rotating the gun with the arrow keys. Or something.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2010, 03:19:25 AM »
On that subject, I noticed in your videos that you can only rotate clockwise. Really slowly. Maybe you wanna make it rotate the other way too? :V
If you think you can't because you mapped the controls to be arrow keys to move the gun, z to confirm, x to cancel, and c to rotate (am I right?), then you might wanna think about making it so that c toggles between moving the gun and rotating the gun with the arrow keys. Or something.
Adding to Blargel's idea, have the player hold down the C and the arrow keys determine the direction, or toggle like Blargel suggested. and have the Up and Down arrows switch between the speed of the spin

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2010, 03:27:45 AM »
Alternatively, Up/Down could snap to the nearest "round" value (every 15 degrees or so, maybe?), or move in discrete increments.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
Wow... 4 different people adding to one suggestion that I was thinking of since before :V
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »
First off, I already said this as a comment on the video, but this is absolutely awesome.

As for the rotation thing, my idea for the control scheme:
Arrows: move
Shift+L/R: rotate in increments of 5 degrees (small enough for precision, yet each rotation is easy to see)
Shift+U/D: flip horizontally or vertically
C: flip horizontally, including position (so if the gun was 10 pixels to the left of the center at 20 degrees, it would move it to 10 pixels to the right of the center at -20 degrees)
Then maybe you can use ctrl for "free" rotation with no degree snap if you think it's needed.

Also, it's probably too soon to be thinking of this, but once you get the system in place, this seems like the perfect project to have lots of people here working on (and not just because of the title). It doesn't even have to be a formal sign-up or anything - you can just send out the "engine" and let people fool around with it, then create a weapon or two and send it to you for tweaking and balancing. Depending on how you have things organized, that could work really well.

Heck, you could have each weapon/vehicle be a single numbered text file, then have the users download/create whichever ones they want and they'll become available in-game. This might be pushing the "customizable" idea a bit too much, though. Another crazy idea: is there any way that you can make the created vehicle available outside of your pre-made scripts? I don't think there would be, but it's worth investigating.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »
First off, I already said this as a comment on the video, but this is absolutely awesome.

As for the rotation thing, my idea for the control scheme:
Arrows: move
Shift+L/R: rotate in increments of 5 degrees (small enough for precision, yet each rotation is easy to see)
Shift+U/D: flip horizontally or vertically
C: flip horizontally, including position (so if the gun was 10 pixels to the left of the center at 20 degrees, it would move it to 10 pixels to the right of the center at -20 degrees)
Then maybe you can use ctrl for "free" rotation with no degree snap if you think it's needed.

Also, it's probably too soon to be thinking of this, but once you get the system in place, this seems like the perfect project to have lots of people here working on (and not just because of the title). It doesn't even have to be a formal sign-up or anything - you can just send out the "engine" and let people fool around with it, then create a weapon or two and send it to you for tweaking and balancing. Depending on how you have things organized, that could work really well.

Heck, you could have each weapon/vehicle be a single numbered text file, then have the users download/create whichever ones they want and they'll become available in-game. This might be pushing the "customizable" idea a bit too much, though. Another crazy idea: is there any way that you can make the created vehicle available outside of your pre-made scripts? I don't think there would be, but it's worth investigating.

Nice idea for the rotation also, but I'll have to think about which to use...

As for the custom weapons and vehicles, I'm not that sure... that would be a lot of work, especially if you're allowing people to pick which ones they like because my Common data and arrays right now are a bit of a mess and they all require to have the exact same number of elements depending on which array they are... It's a bit complicated... (plus, those who don't do it properly will keep on complaining about it not working or what they're doing wrong and stuff)... However, if it's just people sending me more things, then me just creating some kind of patch, it would be a lot easier. The problem with that is that I suck at balancing :V

Hmm... I don't think it would be possible for it to be available outside the script, because currently... all the weapons placed are just set in an array inside a common data, and the graphic is a render target that was being "edited" as the person was placing the weapons.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »
DOUBLE POST

Nevermind about this post... nothing I posted here before was useful in any way :V
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:34:23 AM by Kylesky »

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »
Triple post apparently... oh well, sorry about that... but this won't jump up if I don't do it...

well... since it's almost Christmas... I'll treat this as my gift to everyone :V

I PRESENT

INTERTWINING MECHANICAL INTERVENTION (IMI) V0.01 (temporary title)!!!!!!

First short demo of my nitori game (For those who don't know what this is... it's more or less a game where you can decide how your character shoots stuff...)

IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT I MAY HAVE FORGOTTEN TO RESET THE DATA BEFORE RAR'ING THE FILE. PLEASE CHOOSE THE RESET DATA SELECTION IN THE MAIN MENU WHEN STARTING THE GAME IF YOU DO NOT SEE TEXT AT THE TOP SAYING THAT YOU WILL BE BROUGHT TO THE PROLOGUE THE FIRST TIME YOU OPEN THE GAME. (so sorry about that... :( )

Contains:
-Prologue + 1st Chapter (containing 2 stages that's more like 1 stage cause the first is only a stage portion and the second is only a boss)
-2 Weapons (yeah, only 2)
-1 Vehicle (only the first vehicle for now)
-An options menu that allows you to change difficulty and handicap
-First "helper" (you'll see what I mean)
-A totally different dialogue style
-Everything else I've missed

What I'm planning to do/add:
-Still haven't made one of the menus
-Haven't fixed up the backgrounds and design stuff of all the menus
-Haven't made a custom HUD
-Of course, finish all the stages, weapons, vehicles, "helpers"
-Everything else I've missed

Note: I know the name sucks, it's temporary :V
Noteb: I also know the story/dialogues suck so far... don't judge me :| I suck at writing..

EDIT: Apparently... it's still uploading... I hate my slow internet
EDITB: yay it's done
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:55:24 PM by Kylesky »

KomeijiKoishi

...I have absolutely no idea how to add weapons to my character. At all.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
Oh sorry about that... I was pretty sleepy when I posted this so I forgot some stuff...

To place weapons...
1) In the edit vehicle menu press left-right to select vehicles
2) press z to select your vehicle
3) you will have a list of available weapons (make sure you followed the tutorial and made your first weapon first)
4) press up-down to select a weapon
5) you will now have free movement of the weapon over the sprite
6) up/down/left/right for normal movement
7) For rotations... I tried to put it there in symbols... but I'm sure it's still pretty hard to understand
    -hold c for normal rotation
    -shift-left/right to move by a fixed number of degrees (I think I made it 3)
    -shift-c to reflect horizontally (both angle and position)
    -shift-up to reflect angle vertically
    -shift-down to reflect angle horizontally
8 ) press z to place the weapon
9) repeat 4-8 for all weapons
10) press x to return to vehicle select
11) press x to return to main menu
12) You're done!

For some other stuff I forgot:
1) When you try creating a vehicle right after playing a stage, the render targets break down or something... I don't know why... so it'd be best to reset the game after returning to the MAIN MENU (don't worry... your progress is saved every time you finish the clear screen anyway)
2) As of right now, when you go back to the main menu after a stage, the bgm keeps on playing... I'll fix that once I find a suitable menu bgm
3) Playing music in the music room then returning to the main menu won't cause the music to stop... I made it that way cause, once there's a lot of ingredients, weapons and vehicles to choose from, trust me, most people will take a long time in the experiment and edit vehicle menus... and they'll probably get sick of the menu bgm... so I let them listen to anything :V

KomeijiKoishi

And... how am I making weapons? Yes, I'm aware that these question get stupider by the minute...

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
I guess I wasn't able to explain this properly in the prologue? :V

1) Garage --> 3rd choice in garage
2) Experiments
3) Select ingredients with up/down and z
4) If you mis-selected an ingredient press right and select it with up/down and z to remove it from the list (then left to return to the selecting part)
5) Press c to create
6) An error sound will play if there's no such recipe, other stuff will show if there is.
7) If there's such a recipe, your ingredients will be deducted by what you used (move up/down/left/right or pressing z will "refresh" the page thing)
8 ) Done...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:49:11 PM by Kylesky »

KomeijiKoishi

I didn't get a prologue, so I didn't know that I had to push C after using the ingredients.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
Really? I thought I resetted the data so that the prologue showed... :/

It's supposed to be the very first thing showed... anyway... choose the reset data in the main menu if it doesn't show...

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
Anywhere with scrolling text, especially the prologue, it starts lagging a lot later on whenever the text scrolls. I think you don't delete the text once it's invisible.
If you start the game without constructing a vehicle, you can still play, but you can't shoot and Nitori is invisible.
There's no indicator of which direction is which when placing a weapon, so my cucumbers shot backwards at first.
The hitbox for collecting coins is extremely small (with no collection sound), and the coins are very "solid" and easily mistaken for bullets. I assume the first one is so you can upgrade collection radius later, right?
The boss doesn't seem to appear, and even when the timer ran out, the "arms" kept attacking.
The "stage clear" thing takes way too long. Why do you need a half-second pause between everything that's drawn?

...in general, it's just really hard to understand. You need better instructions and controls for setting everything up. It's extremely confusing right now. Although, like I said before, I absolutely love the concept and think you're off to a great start. It just needs a lot of polishing.

Although I'm really nitpicking here. Overall, I think this is awesome, it's just very very non-user-friendly (which is to be expected in a demo like this, but I needed to point it out anyway). The multi-hit system instead of lives is pretty cool, although I would give a longer invincibility time, multiple lives (just one extra would be fine), or both. Right now it kinda sucks that if you're doing really good but then get caught in machine-gun fire (or outside a "reverse streaming" section, like what the hands shoot), you die and have to start all over from one mistake.

Good luck on this, and I look forward to when you finish it.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
Seems I messed up quite a lot this time... I feel like an idiot...

Anywhere with scrolling text, especially the prologue, it starts lagging a lot later on whenever the text scrolls. I think you don't delete the text once it's invisible.
Yeah... I don't... I'll look into that next time...
If you start the game without constructing a vehicle, you can still play, but you can't shoot and Nitori is invisible.
Really? I thought I blocked Stage Select until you create a vehicle... I'll recheck
There's no indicator of which direction is which when placing a weapon, so my cucumbers shot backwards at first.
Well... the direction of the cannon kinda looked obvious to me :V I'll add an arrow or something...
The hitbox for collecting coins is extremely small (with no collection sound), and the coins are very "solid" and easily mistaken for bullets. I assume the first one is so you can upgrade collection radius later, right?
Hmm... the radius for the items seems normal to me... it's really small when you're unfocused, but it gets a lot bigger when you're focused... I'll recheck... and fix the image of the coin...
The boss doesn't seem to appear, and even when the timer ran out, the "arms" kept attacking.
What... really? it's a big rectangle at the top-center of the screen... how can that not appear when I played through that like 10 times :<
The "stage clear" thing takes way too long. Why do you need a half-second pause between everything that's drawn?
I don't really know... I just felt like it seemed nice... I'll shorten it XD no actually... I'll just remove the wait...

...in general, it's just really hard to understand. You need better instructions and controls for setting everything up. It's extremely confusing right now. Although, like I said before, I absolutely love the concept and think you're off to a great start. It just needs a lot of polishing.
Yeah... I'll try fixing it up when I continue with the next part...

Although I'm really nitpicking here. Overall, I think this is awesome, it's just very very non-user-friendly (which is to be expected in a demo like this, but I needed to point it out anyway). The multi-hit system instead of lives is pretty cool, although I would give a longer invincibility time, multiple lives (just one extra would be fine), or both. Right now it kinda sucks that if you're doing really good but then get caught in machine-gun fire (or outside a "reverse streaming" section, like what the hands shoot), you die and have to start all over from one mistake.

Good luck on this, and I look forward to when you finish it.
Thanks... and nitpicking's ok cause it's what'll let me improve on this... I'm not sure about adding an extra life cause it's really supposed to be "you exploded, haha" after sustaining too much damage... I'll add a longer invincibility time, and when you get more money, one of the things upgradable in the vehicle garage is armor... (plus there's the handicap in the options menu where you can make yourself only receive 50% damage... though decreasing your earnings per level)

Also, I don't think anyone noticed this... but the small fairies in the "To Reimu!" stage actually drops extra cucumbers and cattails (1/250 chance and which will drop depends on which color the fairy is :V)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
For the boss not appearing, maybe it just blends in with the background or something since you say it's just a rectangle. Once the dialogue ended, I heard the "enemy death" sound, so I thought something messed up and the boss wasn't there.
For "the direction of the cannon kinda looked obvious to me", that's because you made it. I could make a rectangle that's half white and half black, and I'll know that the white end is what shoots things, but that's not immediately obvious to everyone else. An arrow would be nice. Also, add a button to re-center the current weapon on your vehicle, since it's kind of annoying if you want something centered. (And you can just use text descriptions for the buttons, you know... you have plenty of room on the screen.)

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
For "the direction of the cannon kinda looked obvious to me", that's because you made it. I could make a rectangle that's half white and half black, and I'll know that the white end is what shoots things, but that's not immediately obvious to everyone else. An arrow would be nice. Also, add a button to re-center the current weapon on your vehicle, since it's kind of annoying if you want something centered. (And you can just use text descriptions for the buttons, you know... you have plenty of room on the screen.)
k, I'll think about it... :/

A lot of what I was going to say has already been said, but here's what's left.

After the prolouge, when you press z it goes into the stage select even though you haven't made a vehicle yet.
If you return to the main menu, and try to go back, it won't work.  Stage Select is only accessable without a vehicle right after the prolouge.

Doesn't being able to change the handicap just pressure players into playing on lower difficulties for higher money outputs?
You should either remove it or have the player choose the difficulty for the entire game at the beginning of the game.

It's strange that the helper always goes back to the center and just stays there.  Maybe have him have the same x-cordinate as Nitori?  Or maybe not.

Nice game so far!  The menus are confusing, but it's a good idea and you're doing well.
^_^;