Author Topic: Monopoly  (Read 6903 times)

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
Monopoly
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:31 AM »
this is a discussion thread, in this forum

I've been on a bit of a Monopoly kick for a little while. A few days ago I came across a free online version that doesn't completely suck, and I even stopped to set up a channel along the way (see sig).

What's a really good set or version of Monopoly, and what are some good ports if any?
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Monopoly
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »
There's a lot of different versions of the game, but I personally prefer the classic game and the rule set, because it's the one I grew up with. Broadway FTW. =3

EDIT: URL fixed.

Genshuku

• Side with the winners
  • I am a waffling jerkface
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
There's a lot of different versions of the game, but I personally prefer the classic game and the rule set, because it's the one I grew up with. Broadway FTW. =3

[The URL is invalid and cannot be loaded.]

And I might have to try that game online sometime. Fond memories of crushing people at Monopoly~

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
giant post

Just picked up a new Monopoly set, it's apparently published by EA. EA also maintains pogo.com, and the website is advertised on the back of aforementioned Monopoly boxes; how fortunate.

EA advertises the game as being fast-paced: you can't pay 10% of your total worth for the Income Tax anymore and the Luxury Tax has been raised to $100, the Speed Die is featured, and the booklet stresses official rule play. That Speed Die is insane; if you manage to roll a 1, 2, or 3 with all three dice, you can move anywhere on the board. The Community Chest+Chance cards and the Deeds have been resized to fit in a large pile, haha. Oddly enough, the first property color has officially changed to brown from purple, like the European boards always had.

Here's some other stuff I read in the booklet for the set I bought:

-When a player goes bankrupt, all of their mortgaged properties are sent to the Bank for auction as one large item.
-You can actually build houses and mortgage things at any time; if two or more players are attempting to buy from an insufficient number of houses or hotels at the same time, they're auctioned.
-Whether or not you mortgage something does not affect related properties; other same-coloreds are still worth x2 in rent, mortgaged Railroads count towards the total Railroads that is considered for rent, etc.
-If you buy a mortgaged property from another player, you must either unmortgage that property or pay 10% of the mortgaged value (card back) as soon as you get it.
-The "Mortgage Value" on the front is how much that Deed is worth to your Total Worth, thus factoring into the Income Tax's 10% rule.
-If you land on a property that is owned by another player and they forget to ask you to pay up before the next player rolls the dice, you do not pay.
-You can actually survive on $0; it's when you're in debt that you have to pay something.
-You can do anything in Jail except move.

I played a game of the 2007 PC port, with 3 Easy difficulty AIs. Easy is cheesy; when trading give a value that is exactly $1 more than their value and you get whatever it is. So basically I can spend $401 to get Boardwalk.

The 3rd Edition PC port (2001~2002) will do TCP/IP. Haven't tried it, but it should work fine. I am not a giant fan of this port, though.

Also, there's a port of this new Monopoly (the set I bought and its standards) along with H&N World for the 360, has anyone played it?
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »
Hey, guys. I really would rather my channel not die, since it almost did when I disappeared for a bit some days ago. I want to make it better than Monopoly.

Come and help me out plzkthnx

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
Also, there's a port of this new Monopoly (the set I bought and its standards) along with H&N World for the 360, has anyone played it?

Is this the one?

I never played it, but years I saw in a booth in some Asia games festival.

The only thing noticeable is the fact that there are additional minigames, where it may have been better on the Wii.

Not getting it anyways, seems overpriced to play it at 60 dollars or used even when you can save up ten bucks for something like After Burner Climax.  :)
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
That's the one. I'd personally still buy it, though.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 01:44:37 AM »
I wanna try this chinese monopoly pesco mentions on IRC, anybody know of an English equivalent to it? (doubtful I know)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »
I'll give you screenshots when I'm not so busy.

Btw you can be a ninja

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:28:18 PM »
Monopoly, the unforving game where you go to jail for landing on a square.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »
Where you can also bribe people to let you out of jail, for like $50...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:47 AM »
except you don't want to cuz jail is good for 75% of the game.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:26:12 AM »
except you don't want to cuz jail is good for 75% of the game.

huh?

"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
huh?

You know, when there are hardly any unclaimed properties left, and moving around only means getting charged for landing on enemy properties? Jail is good.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »
What sucks is when you're sitting in jail, happily alone in your cell, then they decide you're too cool for jail because you rolled a double 3 or a double 4, at which point you land on your rival's Orange hotels.

For those of you who don't know, fuck the Blues, Orange is the gamebreaker.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Hakkai

• Celestial
    • Touhou.net
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
You know, when there are hardly any unclaimed properties left, and moving around only means getting charged for landing on enemy properties? Jail is good.
But if you're sitting in jail, players who lands on your properties don't have to pay too.
How can you survive if you can't make money! Donation?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
But if you're sitting in jail, players who lands on your properties don't have to pay too.

That is not an official rule, pretty sure it's a house rule that you're just used to.

As for Krim's comment. Orange is indeed the best, but it's hardly game breaking. I find that the first guy able to afford triple houses on a set of properties and have enough spare cash to pay a chunk of rent and maintain those houses win, unless it's medeteranian/Baltic. Orange is also one of the hardest to monopolize since everyone has a relatively high chance of owning a spot before you have the opportunity to grab a 2nd.

Monopoly IMO is a bit too simple really. I find that a minimal amount of thought at a strategic level leaves you realizing that luck and diplomacy really decides the game after you figure out the tic-tac-toe-like depth. I still find it fun though, I'd love to get my hands on a more advanced version, preferably with less emphasis on diplomacy and/or luck.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:35:01 AM by Ghaleon »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
Remember that time when I got a full set of rails and made more money than the guy who got hotels first? He had houses all over the last stretch too ya'know :3

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Remember that time when I got a full set of rails and made more money than the guy who got hotels first? He had houses all over the last stretch too ya'know :3

that was beyond fluke. Not one person landed on my hotels for the entire game. And pretty much everyone landed on at least 2 of your rails every damn lap, I think you haxed into pogo.com and rigged the game. Oh yeah, landing on income tax 20 times didn't help either.

But yeah I did say "pretty much" >=P

Though now that I think about it, I don't think I really ever had a surplus of cash to be able to take a big rent hit if there were any to take due to nobody ever landing on my properties, darr.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:05:11 PM by Ghaleon »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 06:53:07 AM »
fuck the blues so hard, they are not worth it as much as they should be

In Jail, you can do just about anything except move.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
NeoSerela, Tylt, and I had a party on Luxury Tax.  It was epic.  We had a great time.  We broraved all night long at the Luxury Tax club.  Meanwhile, Pesco was standing on the porch of one of his blue quadhouses, yelling at us to keep the noise down.  We didn't.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:10 AM »
Damn I missed out. I'm going thru monopoly withdrawl, but I don't want to get on irc and potentially waste my translation efforts time >=P