Author Topic: I think Zun remade the PC-98 characters  (Read 13613 times)

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
I think Zun remade the PC-98 characters
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
Originally I thought that Amusement Makers had just made some decisions character-wise that ZUN didn't agree with. but after seeing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPNd1x6weY&feature=channel_page I think otherwise. Just look at the characters and you'll see the resemblances

FIGHT!

Drake

Re: I think Zun remade the PC-98 characters
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:15:39 AM »
Huh? You mean the picture? It's fanmade. And it's odd to even think that they aren't the PC98 characters.

o whups im dum

But not really. It's just similar character design. The archetypes yes, definitely.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:17:18 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:25:01 AM »
I don't know what was there to see in the link, but ZUN already did it. Though I don't think the Amusement Makers were holding him back; I think that he had his different moments. The one I noticed first was the relation between Yuka and Yukari; the two are almost the same thing, in fact, everything that Yukari is was already old long before she was created.

Some other stereotypes are similar, but as of now I don't recall any other example in which the characters are so similar.

LordVant

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:58:47 AM »
I know it's a fan-made drawing but it just made me think of it. Plus if you knew the dialogue in the original games, a few PC-98 characters seem similar to Windows characters. Then again there wasn't much dialogue to begin with, and every1 has a different power(though some seem exactly the same); and Zun said in an interview that he might bring back some more characters from the PC-98 years. http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/92#more-92 Just hit ctrl+f and search "yuka-san"

FIGHT!

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
With UFO out,
Spoiler:
we're going to get some Hiziri/Shinki, Murasa/Chiyuri and Nue/Flandre comparisons (yes I know Flandre isn't PC-98, but still)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:35:02 PM »
Well,
Spoiler:
seeing as one of Byakuren's attacks is not only inspired by but actually a direct one-by-one pc-98-to-windows-translation of one of Shinki's attack phases
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:38:03 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
With UFO out,
Spoiler:
we're going to get some Hiziri/Shinki, Murasa/Chiyuri and Nue/Flandre comparisons (yes I know Flandre isn't PC-98, but still)

But the only similarities between
Spoiler:
Nue and Flan is that they're both EX bosses with strange looking wings.  Other than that, they have very little in common at all.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

LordVant

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
Spoiler:
Nue and Flan is that they're both EX bosses with strange looking wings.  Other than that, they have very little in common at all.
But Flan's not a PC-98 character.(duh just stated :P) So that's kinda irrelevant. Though is Zun looking to replace Flan? Nah can't be! She was in the Inaba's 4koma and Zun approved those so there's no way.

FIGHT!

Drake

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
With UFO out,
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Pretty much everything about Stage 6 is an MS reference.

Also, Flan and Nue's theme music and general appearance is very similar.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Moerin

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »
Spoiler:
Also, Flan and Nue's theme music and general appearance is very similar.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to object to that. 
Spoiler:
I really don't hear any similarity between U.N. Owen and Heian Alien at all.  U.N. Owen is fast paced and clownish yet sinister, whilst Heian Alien has a slower tempo and sounds a lot more science-fictiony.  Not only that, the actual tune of each songs sounds a lot different from each other.

As for appearance... Flan is a blonde girly-looking girl who wears red and has crystalline "wings", whilst Nue is black haired, somewhat tomboyish, wears black and has red, blade-like "wings" sprouting from the right side of her back and blue... Tentacles, I guess, sprouting from the left side (also, snakes).  They look nothing alike.

Also, Nue has no pupils, but that's not an important point.

Sorry about that...  It's just that comparisons between these two are starting to annoy me, seeing how they're mostly built up from two very insignificant points.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:52:51 PM by Nue Theoujuu »

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
Never underestimate the urge of fans to build mountains and fortresses on insignificant points.

And I'm sorry if you're annoyed by the fact that some people have found similarities between Heian Alien and U.N.Owen when you personally can't, but we'd appreciate it if you stopped RAGEing at that fact.

Moerin

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
Sorry about that... I guess I am kinda blowing it way out of proportion...

...Actually, now that I think about it, I've been kind of a jerk today.  I need to calm down or something fast...

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:26:32 PM »

...Actually, now that I think about it, I've been kind of a jerk today.  I need to calm down or something fast...

Overdose of UFO's hype awesomeness can cause severe backlash for normal people.

ZUN is not remaking the PC-98 characters; he just utilizes similar stereotypes for newer characters. Besides
Spoiler:
I just can't accept that Captain Murasa Minamitu and Byakuren Hiziri are the new Chiyuri and Yumemi.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »

Overdose of UFO's hype awesomeness can cause severe backlash for normal people.

ZUN is not remaking the PC-98 characters; he just utilizes similar stereotypes for newer characters. Besides
Spoiler:
I just can't accept that Captain Murasa Minamitu and Byakuren Hiziri are the new Chiyuri and Yumemi.
Which is why I've stayed a healthy distance away from such hype. Although, I'm already a bit of jerk by nature anyways...

Whatever. I'd say ZUN is more along the lines of giving referance to PC98 characters and locations, rather than just remaking them all together, if he were replacing them the profiles would speak out on this and
Spoiler:
Hijiri (fuck spelling her first name) would be the new god of Makai.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, I won't accept Hijiri (fuck spelling her first name) as the new Shinki, ZUN can go fuck'em self if that's what he's doin'
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:36 PM »
Spoiler:
Yeah, I won't accept Hijiri (fuck spelling her first name) as the new Shinki, ZUN can go fuck'em self if that's what he's doin'

Spoiler:
Shinki is my second favorite PC-98 character, and newer characters can never replace the old ones, in my opinion. Also, Shinki's design is far more 'godly' than Byakuren.

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »
so zun's a drunken hack, is that what you're saying?
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »
Spoiler:
U.F.Owen was her?
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »
*Waits for the loli incarnation of 5 magic stones.*

Easy Mode

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »
I imagine ZUN's response would be this:

"Is your everyone why proverb this? As for me in order for PC-98 quality to be able make the return, it did not mean. Entirely it is foolish. Basis of foolish western fan and thought of your insanity. Clearly, I drank. Meet to the girl of tiger as one example. As for I that it does? The hell, I have not remembered. Because I drank. For the second time is PC-98 what?"

Because his English is GRAND.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 05:52:41 AM »
*Waits for the loli incarnation of 5 magic stones.*
OR Evil Eye Sigma.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Moerin

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
Spoiler:
U.F.Owen was her?

Don't make me hurt you.  Besides, if anything, it reminds me more of Hina's theme.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »
Trying Signing U.N.Owen during the Extra stage boss.

Trust me, it fits more than it needs to.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
sanae is yugenmagan

see that star danmaku pattern

yep