Author Topic: Touhou Remix Music - General discussion and favorite arranges thread  (Read 101729 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
I'm surprised there isn't a thread like this on the first page here (unless i'm just blind or something and missed it on multiple passes..)

Want to let the world know your favorite remix artists? Think a certain song/circle is underappreciated? Looking for that person who appreciates Sepette Remix #37 as much as you do? Well here ya go! Just remember no download links, buy the albums, etc.

-----------

Without further ado, here's the artist i'd like to showcase:

Artist: TaNaBaTa
Albums: サクラツナギ, セツナライト
Samples:
OINIRO-GIRL - Maiden's Capriccio
ちるのちるのちるの - Odenpa Love Girl
千切れる群青 - The Fantastic Legend of Tohno (PCB Stage 2 theme)

I'm going to guess most people are familiar with this group from the Cirno PV, but their other stuff is pretty fantastic too. If I'll never see the pillows do a Touhou arrange in my lifetime, at least this group is a rough approximation of what I think it'd be like.

And I swear, this guy's voice gives me huuuuge Guitar Freaks/Drummania vibes. Is it just me?

Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Re: Touhou Remix Music - General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:18:40 AM »
Ezel-Ash is awesome. That's all I have to say right now.

Gpop

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:13 AM »
UNLUCKY MORPHEUS MOTHERFUCKERS!!

It's sad that there are people who don't appreciate Fuki at all as a vocalist. Some say she even ruins the group. What the fuck.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
It's sad that there are people who don't appreciate Fuki at all as a vocalist. Some say she even ruins the group. What the fuck.

If anything that award should go to Amane from Cool&Create. Christ, she can't sing.

Formless God

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »

Artist: Neko & 雅
Albums: 夢幻軌道
Samples: Tabula rasa ~空白少女

Mugen Kidou is everything I have of this circle (and probably everything it's published so far). Don't judge its quality by the cover. It's one of the few albums where there isn't even a single disappointing track.

Artist: 湯船にプカリと浮かびたい
Albums: ヤミノアヤカシ
Samples:
The third eyes (3rd eye)
a devils power (Nuclear Fusion)

Very nice Subterranean Animism arrange album. Too bad that's as much info as I have.

曉人 and 神社の裏. Not a single fucking trace on 'Tube or even Nico. I'll upload the entire albums myself because they are just that good.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:31:04 AM by Formless God »

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »

Agreed. I think she really fits the metal they're doing.
Except on Hypothetical Box. She was way too loud there.

Anyway...

Circle: まぐなむお~ぱす (Magnum Opus)
Artist: 高瀬 (Takase)
Albums:
東方桜妖紀 ~ Necromance Metal Attitude ~
東方紅魔月譚 ~ Scarlet Devil Fantasic Rhapsody ~
東方幻有夢境 ~ depth psychology of unconsciousness ~
東方幻朧悠月抄 ~ Imperishable sin and millennium history ~
東方核煉獄 ~ Purgatory Nuclear fusion ~ (heh, didn't know he released something at Reitaisai 7 until I started writing this post)
Samples:
月時計 ~ ルナ・ダイアル
ハルトマンの妖怪少女
ヴォヤージュ1970

Progressive/power metal, sounds like it may be inspired by Dream Theater. Probably my favourite Touhou music arranger right now. Gets better with every album.

Artist: Godspeed
Albums: Uh... 東方緋想天とらのあな初回購入特典CD I guess. He appears here and there (like on the Knights of Round albums), but unfortunately there hasn't been a full Touhou album from him.
Sample: Rage

Formless God

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
(Done)
I hope it's okay to share individual tracks here, because this is fucking amazing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:03:26 PM by Formless God »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
UNLUCKY MORPHEUS MOTHERFUCKERS!!
Since they are pretty much the only people that made a good arrange of Sariel's theme, I'm going to second that motion.

As redundant as it should be, I'm going to mention Demetori, one of the best sources for touhou metal arranges. As listening examples I will present you:
Septette for the Dead Princess arrange
Greenwich in the Sky arrange
Luna Dial arrange (one of the few that reach the awesomeness of the original) I know what you're thinking, Gpop. I don't care.

And have some liquid awesomeness from WAVE, will you.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
There are alot of Remix bands I really enjoy. Pretty much all the metal ones that have no vocals are good for me. Everyone  metal fan seems to adore Demontori, which isn't bad IMO. But it's too...Well... I mean It just sounds like too much content is missing to me. I mean it really seems like it has nothing going for it but a guitar. Touhou music should normally have alot of keys as well IMO, and the Demontori songs I hear seem to lack that. I find that DbU's rockier tunes like:
Captain motherfucker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqaVul7OIUk
Kaguya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPDFyAf4d1c
Flandre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3od4ohTemho

Do an excellent job of sounding like metal/rock versions of the originals. Neutral does that too sometimes, but you really can't expect to get one genre in an album from them. Anybody able to suggest rock/metal arranges like DbU that sound VERY close to the originals?

I'm getting a new HD in a month or so. Then I'll be able to get more of this stuff and..well, figure out myself easily. Right now I can only fit so much, making experimenting very difficult >=p.

Gpop

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
As redundant as it should be, I'm going to mention Demetori, one of the best sources for touhou metal arranges. As listening examples I will present you:
Septette for the Dead Princess arrange
Greenwich in the Sky arrange
Luna Dial arrange (one of the few that reach the awesomeness of the original) I know what you're thinking, Gpop. I don't care.

All that, and you still haven't mentioned two of his best arranges:
Suwa Foughten Field
Jehovah's YaHVeH

And you took songs from the album "Offering to The Sukhavati" without choosing the best arrange in that album IMO:
The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain

But yeah. Luna Dial sucks. Deal with it.

Formless God

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »
Best of Reitaisai 7. I have no idea how the hell this was overlooked. 3-track album ? Bad cover art ?

I would also like to recommend Halozy. Their music immediately caught my interest, especially these two:

U.N. Owen Was Her ? (Starry Presto)
Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever (Heartcore Forte)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »
You're kidding, right?

We have more than one post in this topic and no one has mentioned O-Life?  Or nazz-can?

You bunch of sorry embarrassments.

Also HEAVILY plugging IKUTO, and South of Heaven in general.  (Can't seem to find his arrange of Eastern Wind, which is a shame; it's bloody amazing.)

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:39:57 AM »
Seems there's quite a bit of the metal/rock scene going on with Touhou music ITT.

Rather than derail that entirely with references, I'll just poke around and ask if anyone knows a good circle who's done a nice, upbeat arrange of Phantom Ensemble - orchestral, but a good metal arrange wouldn't kill me either.

Otherwise, IRON ATTACK! is pretty catchy, too :D

Oh right and Liz-Triangle does a really good remix of Septette - the one where they have lily-an doing vocals for them. I've got that looping on a YouTube playlist right now, nurhur.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:46:35 AM by Esifex »

Formless God

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:04:35 AM »
We have more than one post in this topic and no one has mentioned O-Life?  Or nazz-can?

Because they're already quite popular ? :V

Have another gem.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 03:15:20 AM »
Because they're already quite popular ? :V
Didn't stop people from mentioning Demetori and dBu.  It's favorite, not only underappreciated ones.  Yes, I read the first post.

Also, an arrange of Flower of Soul!  Vocal isn't really my thing, but I do like!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Gpop

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »
Rather than derail that entirely with references, I'll just poke around and ask if anyone knows a good circle who's done a nice, upbeat arrange of Phantom Ensemble - orchestral, but a good metal arrange wouldn't kill me either.

Sorry but I'm off to sleep for now, but for metal the first thing that comes to mind is UI-70's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0hiIT93Yo

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 05:21:08 AM »
I'm just going to stand right here and proclaim my eternal love for CYTOKINE (see re:world and Everlasting Circle; aki makes Mokou's theme sound GOOD) and SOUND HOLIC (Touchless and SPARKIN' have been my favorite Touhou arranges for quite some time).

Some other groups that people should check out are Hatsunetsu Miko's, Sound Online, and the occasional Innocent Key song. '

Also if we're going to accuse anyone of terrible singing, A~YA wins hands down.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:23:43 AM by SenSageUn »

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:27 AM »
TAMusic is easily one of my favorite ones.  Anyone who dislikes them must have a few screws loose.

Violinz
Nuclear Violinz

Whenever someone mentions metal, I either get reminded of Demetori or IRON ATTACK!.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »
No hardcore? :(

Get t+pazolite's Unconnected. Amazing hardcore techno Touhou remixes, and one of my favorite albums ever. Here, have some youtube samples here and here. t+pazolite always makes such fun stuff to listen to.

The circle C9 also has some good hardcore techno. They released two solid albums the past 2 Comikets. All Touhou remixes, of course.

And ALiCE'S EMOTiON has always been around, releasing albums that are pretty lame except each always has one or two songs which are amazing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:08:22 AM by rpengy »

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
If nobody has stated it yet I state it now.
Sakabato is awesome.
His arrange of grave of being needs special note for it is one of the best arranges that I have heard of yet.
Also, if you don't know he's Tsuuten, the drummer in CROW'S CLAW.
The metal that they make is top notch.
If you haven't heard of their arranges, you should listen to Check Your Blood, famous for being sung @ flowering night.
...and yes its a really awesome metal rock version of Septet.

I'll be back soon with lots of other recommendations, but this I just had to add on here.
Happy listening! :)

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
Sorry but I'm off to sleep for now, but for metal the first thing that comes to mind is UI-70's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0hiIT93Yo

That version is fairly awesome, But for some reason I felt the riddles covered in flowers version might suit the criteria better. Its not as good as the deadly dancing butterfly one, but it is more easygoing. Oh, you could also try this one I found on youtube the other day. Its none of what you asked for but Ive not seen anything like it before
Prismrivers X Beasty boys  :V

Tbf this post has made me realise I dont have enough phantom ensemble mixes.

DMC's momento mori is a current favirote, its got everything - epics, upbeats, and somber. all of which are done brilliantly. Not all of it is on youtube though, I might make a new account to upload UNDERGROUND☆PETM@STER in full, its bloody genius. Also epic and somber tunes. Brilliant. Thanks to the member who posted the epic one somewhere here or I'd never have looked them up!

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
My favorite group currently has to be WAVE.  They're the ones to go to for classical arrangements.  Both of mt favorite arrangements are off their ARCHIV-EAST album; This arrangement of Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome, and this arrangement of Judgment in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:42:40 PM by Hideki101 »

Badass bookworms

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »
Didn't stop people from mentioning Demetori and dBu.  It's favorite, not only underappreciated ones.  Yes, I read the first post.

IOSYS WOO \o/

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't a thread like this on the first page here (unless i'm just blind or something and missed it on multiple passes..)

Same here. I listen to remixes far more than I do the actual music. Uh, that's excluding game time, of course.

TAMUSIC, O-Life Japan, and Demetori have been 3 of my favorites for so long that they have 3 individual playlists on my iPod which probably doesn't have 15. O-Life Japan makes such a wide variety of tunes with such a wide variety of synth instruments and it's hard to believe it's all done by a single person. TAMUSIC has released so many classical remixes it's hard to pick a favorite GROUP of songs they've released, and yet they have still managed to branch out quite a good deal. Demetori just rocks in general and I've always been impressed with what those two can put together.

Recently I've been looking poking around, finding the Rockgirl remixes and ska group EcN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkNlX_EphnE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArG71l1cF3Y
Although I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes that sorta thing since I'm one of 3 people who seems to remember back when Goldfinger and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were the best thing to happen to music since classic rock in my worthless, baseless, and idiotic opinion.

Man, I'm sorry for not posting more links but there's about 12 or so other songs that I could spit out just from the groups I've mentioned alone. Still looking to branch out a bit more, so this thread is gonna be a great one for resources. Keep 'em coming!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
IOSYS WOO \o/

Don't really like that track (ugh those vocals) but IOSYS does indeed have some solid tracks when they get away from stupid shit (assanchors).

After all this time I'm still discovering new groups (one of the reason I've yet to put down the money for a CD), so the best I can do is provide examples of what I've liked so far.

Alstroemeria Records seems to be a solid techno group.
Inanimate Dream
Candid Friend

I'm saddened by all the metal groups and no mention of  ~xi-on~!
Fall of Fall
OH GOD COSMIC MIND  :* :* :*

And yes, TAMMUSIC is awesome, especially this live performance. If you don't cry, you just plain don't like music.
(Sorry if it was posted before, but it's awesome enough to warrant a 2nd time).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:57:40 PM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »
w-wait TAMUSIC, if you play with my ears like that... I'm going to... aaaahhh ~

Also didn't notice sensageun post about cytokine. high five! o/
(Though I'm more for true faith on that album by a long way, and damn do I want to get my hands on The Tower.)

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
Don't really like that track (ugh those vocals) but IOSYS does indeed have some solid tracks when they get away from stupid shit (assanchors).

I actually rather like most of IOSYS' sillier songs. Although yes, when they get down to being more serious, they produce wonderful things like Geneology of Memories, Artificial Children, Unlocked Girl, and Pray.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
Thanks to the member who posted the epic one somewhere here or I'd never have looked them up!

Are you referring to ToonLink's signature, with the 47 minute file of epic orchestral Touhou music strung together back to back?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »
lol double post

Although I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes that sorta thing since I'm one of 3 people who seems to remember back when Goldfinger and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were the best thing to happen to music since classic rock in my worthless, baseless, and idiotic opinion.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

NEEEEVER HAAAAD TO KNOCK ON WOOD
But I know someone who has

Gpop

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
I'm saddened by all the metal groups and no mention of  ~xi-on~!
Fall of Fall
OH GOD COSMIC MIND  :* :* :*

Oh come on no mention of Native Faith? I'm disappointed...

Also, I'm listening to 岸田教団 (Studio K2) and...holy fuck they're fucking awesome! I love their vocalist, but their rock is just so...beautiful and epic.

I mean listen to a few:
彼岸帰航
YU-MU (the second song in the Kinema Kan 2 DVD)
夢は時空を越えて

Goddamn I can't get enough of this group.