Author Topic: Touhou Remix Music - General discussion and favorite arranges thread  (Read 102269 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Favorite Touhou Arrange. No Compromises.
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
Impossible to choose. I could list a list of my favorites, or my favorites of each song where it's applicable, but I can't single one out.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
I have no doubts. This is my favorite.

Because I like organs, and fugues. It has nothing to do with Satori.
/thumbsup

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
Steps of Winter summoning from O-Life and TSuki ha gensou no mamani by Maikaze still stand out.
... Well generally lots of stuff done by everybody stands out, but this is after an hour of head banging trying to decide what to post since everything I've heard is so nice.
I also wanted to say k waves but, well, too late...

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
Generally anything from K-Waves, but this is the stand-out piece of the day.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »
underground*petm@ster because I'm a commercial faggot
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:16 AM »
underground*petm@ster because I'm a commercial faggot

I cant call this a bad choice regardless. That tune gives me the fantastic image of the palace of earth spirits barn dance. And everytime I try to work out which SA character is playing what instrument and who's dancing. I would love to see that turned into a PV.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:48 AM »
Right now I favor this remix of Fires of Hokkai and Skyscraper.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 02:02:18 AM »
Right now I favor this remix of Fires of Hokkai and Skyscraper.

Damn I love that one. パポス is the best Touhou Orchestral arranger out there, even better than Kitsune's guy (or girl, I heard once that it was)
Let me back into CPMC :|

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
My favorite arrange is one of Ruro's HM's. To be exact, the Border of Life one.

Badass bookworms

haruko

• Hi Myon!
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
Dropの小屋。feat. 葉月ゆら - 愚か者に創られた闇の娘
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkEX0cOwz48

Only because I love the male x female vocal teamup, and the male vocals are just humongously sexy and manly.
And it's hard to skip this song in my MP3 player.

haruko

• Hi Myon!
Re: Touhou Remix Music - General Discussion Thread
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
You know, there is really no reason for this to not go into the main Touhou remixes thread. >_>

EDIT: Modhax'd. 8)

Re: Touhou Remix Music - General discussion and favorite arranges thread
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCC3suyCQ4

I simply adore the guitar in this one....
Let me back into CPMC :|

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2010, 02:32:47 AM »
After being thoroughly confused and wondering where my wish-list ended up, I discovered that two threads were mashed together in one.
A marvelous opportunity!

If anyone who wasn't keeping track of the original Touhou Arranges thread happens to know where I could find a good, sweeping, upbeat orchestral arrange of Phantom Ensemble that features the violin, trumpet, and piano, I would be most appreciative!

If anyone wants to make an orchestral request of me, let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »
I can barely hear it's UN owen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNDCB8PQM_o

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
My favorite arrange used to be SPARKIN', by SOUND HOLIC (which I linked to earlier in the thread).
Then I heard Shattered Emotion and it just blew everything else out of the water. Nana Takahashi is a brilliant singer, and probably the reason I enjoy SOUND HOLIC so much. Her contribution to The Tower was by far the best part of the album.

Speaking of which, The Tower by CYTOKINE is quickly turning into my favorite individual album. It has the honor of being the only Touhou album where I haven't deleted a single song off my computer, because they're all just that good. There's just...nothing wrong with the album. It has Nana Takahashi, aki, four Cosmic Mind arranges, an amazing Bad Apple!! arrange, and manages to make Tomorrow Will Be Special sound completely badass. If I have to complain about anything, it's A~YA still being a horrible singer, but even she can't ruin the one song she's in.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:28:02 AM by SenSageUn »

Formless God

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I'd keep the entire album for only one good track (verticality, Heterophyllia) :ohdear:

If you like Cosmic Mind that much Sen, check this out. It has probably the best non-vocal Cosmic Mind remix.
I couldn't find anything worth deleting either (well ... except for The Traditional (ry, but at least the Sky Ruins part was okay).

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
Almost everything by Alstroemeria Records is good in my book.

I currently love Saigetsu, from their last album.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I recently started listening to some clips of CROW'S CLAW.

Taka is amazing.  That is all I can say.  (Although some of the songs are pretty much hit and miss.)

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2010, 03:12:27 AM »
Almost everything by Alstroemeria Records is good in my book.

I currently love Saigetsu, from their last album.

Ehhh. I didn't really like Plastik World that much. Twilight Tea Room is by far my favorite track on the album, but I like the accompaniment more than I like the vocals. :C

Also, FG, what's the name of the album? I can read Babaa Koishiteru on the cover, but I can't make out anything below that D:

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »
It's only a dream

It's only a dream

It's only a dream

It's only a dream

It's only a dream

It's only a dream!!

Formless God

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »
Damn, I shouldn't have deleted that album. Thanks a lot, beginning sounds >_>

Also, FG, what's the name of the album? I can read Babaa Koishiteru on the cover, but I can't make out anything below that D:
I can only copypasta its moonrune name D:
Code: [Select]
ババア愛してる!ババアまみれの東方アレンジAnyway, here is that godly remix
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:14:29 PM by Formless God »

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
LONG POST IS LONG CONSIDER THIS YOUR WARNING

Code: [Select]
ババア愛してる!ババアまみれの東方アレンジAnyway, here is that godly remix
^ Added to my ever-growing Cosmic Mind Arrange playlist.  Note that the playlist is meant to be thorough as opposed to selective, so there are quite a few "meh" arranges on it, but I think most of the arranges are pretty darn good.  Some of my absolute favorites from that list have already been mentioned, but I'm convinced they bear repeating, and so I will list them along with some others (hopefully) not mentioned yet:
> the erhu arrange by Gyozayahonpo that Formless God linked earlier in the thread - the intro bit (repeated in-between the erhu and other ZUNtune segments) already has me wibbling, only for the erhu to come in and effectively shred my heart into itty bitty pieces.  And it all Hurts. So. Good.
> the epic orchestral Cosmic Line, which I'm pretty sure was linked in some other thread though I haven't seen it in this one yet - I feel like this is Cosmic Mind's answer to that mindblowing WAVE arrange of Sumizome ~ Border of Life; pretty much every listen of this results in HNNNNNNGGGGG for me at some point, especially if that point is ~2:22-3:17.
> I'm completely torn on the three metal arranges by xi-on (linked earlier), Iron Attack, and Demetori.  I just-- HNNNNNNGGGGG.
> Four Seasons of Loneliness from TatshMusicCircle's amazing Far East of East II album, and the previously-linked but not named star river by IOSYS - nearly all Cosmic Mind vocal arranges are pretty good (at least imo), but even so these stand out among them as some of my absolute favorites, although neither can hold a torch to
> the cr?me de la cr?me 24-carat-gold standard for Cosmic Mind vocal arranges, White Lotus - especially the Piano Version (whoever put that video together with the song is a horrible sadist who enjoys making me burst into tears).  For once, something so immensely popular is, in my opinion, not the least bit overrated, for I believe that it is not only the best Cosmic Mind vocal arrange of ALL TIME ever, but it is one of the best Cosmic mind arranges period, vocal or non-vocal, and may also be one of the best vocal arranges of any Touhou song.  Precious few other (vocal) arranges - even the others by Liz Trangle - so completely capture the essence of the character behind the ZUN theme without having to slavishly imitate or at least heavily depend on the ZUNtune.  In fact, White Lotus not only avoids using the ZUNtune as a crutch - it openly draws attention to the circle-original segments, then segues so flawlessly  from them into the ZUNtune that one feels as if the circle-original melody and the ZUN theme were always meant to be part of the same piece, a piece that exemplifies the poignancy of Byakuren's story even more than the original ZUN theme does on its own. 

Note that the aforementioned circle-original-segue-to-ZUNtune structure features prominently in all of Liz Triangle's best vocal arranges, including my other favorites like Ficus glomerata, moon light step, and Heart of Glass.  In fact, it also features in many of my other favorite non-Liz Triangle vocal arranges (e.g. star river), though truth be told I love it in non-vocal arranges too - it's just that in my experience, non-vocal arranges seem to prefer mixing two or more different ZUNtunes over mixing a circle-original melody with a ZUNtune.

And, um, since the thread title contains the phrase "General Discussion," I'll assume the following additional teal deer is also appropriate for this particular thread, though you're welcome to ignore it as it contains no links to delishus moosik:

I've noticed that while Border of Life (the Sumizome one, not the final spell one) is my top favorite Touhou theme and Cosmic Mind is in second place by a long shot, I far prefer Cosmic Mind arranges.  Maybe it's just the sheer quantity of Sumizome Border of Life arranges that causes me to run into so many "meh"-ish ones, but I generally run into them on the same albums by the same artists who did Cosmic Mind arranges that I really liked.  Aside from the oft-mentioned WAVE/Morrigan epic orchestral arrange, some arranges by =Neutral=, and a few vocal arranges, I haven't encountered many other Sumizome arranges that I enjoy listening to repeatedly.  Contrast this with the fact that I am addicted to at least 1/4th of the songs on my Cosmic Mind playlist, and can easily stand repeated listens of well over half that list.  My guess is that the original Cosmic Mind has just enough flaws to allow for arranges to take a good thing and make it amazing, whereas the original Sumizome Border of Life is just so stunning in terms of musicality and composition that doing ANYTHING with it risks taking it down a notch or two of awesome. 

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18:30 AM »
In my search for orchestral arranges of Phantom Ensemble, I have instead come across several other good little bits and pieces of music. I invite you to check out my list of favorites on YouTube to check 'em out. Everything up to 'Four-Dimensional Warp Device' is on my list of newfound-favorites.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:17 AM »
Hmm, sucks to be you then Sen, Plastik World is awesome.
Alstroemeria Records, The newest one Double Counterpoint is rather nice too, although a bit repetitive. Probably best taken sparingly. Aki Misawa's vocals = love. (Shinto Shrine is the most played track ever - 398 playcounts followed by Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul on my itunes playlist at 276 counts, what startling differences...)

----

I find WAVE's mix of Yama of Xanadu one of the best and most epic mixes ever.... the way that gregorian style chant flairs up in the beginning makes my skin crawl with excitement and I swear I cream in my pants everytime it reaches the epic thundering finish.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2010, 03:28:29 AM »
My favorite arrange used to be SPARKIN', by SOUND HOLIC (which I linked to earlier in the thread).
Then I heard Shattered Emotion and it just blew everything else out of the water. Nana Takahashi is a brilliant singer, and probably the reason I enjoy SOUND HOLIC so much. Her contribution to The Tower was by far the best part of the album.

Okay I take this back. I just listened to SPARKIN' again and it's still the best song :V

Gpop

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING TOUHOU REMIX EVER.

*puts song into list of songs I'll step later for stepmania*

Also, the Riverside has some badass songs in there. One song that I definitely think went wrongly unnoticed (especially with Sinergy being in the same album) is DUG. This Prog/Metal arrange is just so fucking badass, and it gives off this Dream Theater vibe off of it.