Author Topic: random touhou Qs (may contain noob ones)  (Read 38468 times)

Re: random touhou Qs (may contain noob ones)
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »
MoF's Death Fairy is the one just before Kanako.

In SA, Every fairy is a death fairy I'm not sure it counts, but there's the two Particle-Wave Orbs before Utsuho's fight.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
3: Is level 1 and 2 always easy, level 3 medium, and level4+ always "you better memorize at least some parts of this level or you WILL die/bomb"

Pretty much what happens is, Stages 1 and 2 are easy, in Stage 3 things get interesting, and then you get to Stage 4 - the F*ck You Stage - where you finally meet the boss who reveals to you who's behind whatever incident you're investigating. The TV Tropes page on Touhou is actually really helpful for covering a lot of the common themes and occurences in the games.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
...my definition of vampire is loose. I mean youkai that eats humans or consumes something human. Both rumia and patch talk about eating humans in the game don't they?
A youkai is a pretty well-defined thing in Japanese mythology (see here).  They don't have anything to do with vampires, for one who originate in eastern European mythology, and two only drink human blood.  Youkai can outright consume humans.

As for the species of "<profession> youkai", like Patchouli and Alice (and possibly soon-to-be Marisa and Reimu), they're normal humans whose powers have grown so much they've gone pretty much beyond being human.  This ties into the whole Youkai definition:  things that've lived long enough or gained enough power to become "something else, something more than they were".  But these youkai aren't ones who consume humans, probably since they are/were one themselves.  So they're different.

By the way, it was Meiling (standard youkai) that talked about eating the protagonist, not Patchouli (witch youkai).

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 10:09:58 PM »
MoF's Death Fairy is the one just before Kanako.

In SA, Every fairy is a death fairy I'm not sure it counts, but there's the two Particle-Wave Orbs before Utsuho's fight.
SA has one. Stage 4. Right at the end.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »
5: does the extra boss always have at lest 1 attack that must be timed out?
Nope, the extra bosses in LLS, MS, and SoEW don't have time out attacks, but then again, no one plays PC-98!  ::)

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
As for the species of "<profession> youkai", like Patchouli and Alice (and possibly soon-to-be Marisa and Reimu), they're normal humans whose powers have grown so much they've gone pretty much beyond being human.
Actually, according to Perfect Memento, there's a second type of Magician-youkai which starts out nonhuman, and become "full fledged" youkai by a slightly different process, and Patchouli was born that way whereas Alice was a human. (What Alice was doing in Makai is a question best left to Wild Mass Guessing.)

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »
...and Patchouli was born that way whereas Alice was a human.
Ah that's right.  But I didn't think Patchy was born a youkai.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
Nope, the extra bosses in LLS, MS, and SoEW don't have time out attacks, but then again, no one plays PC-98!  ::)

I actually stated in my post something like "esod and after". Not that pc-98 is not worth mentioning. Just generally habits evolve and develop over time. Again, with final fantasy, there were no chocobos to begin with, but later on there were. Just like there were no big strong quasi-mechanical enemies called ___weapon, but after 6 there were.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2009, 02:17:35 AM »
I just have one question: can someone make an IaMP tier list based on damage output?. I can't really tell, everyone's defense is way too high. >_>

Gpop

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »
I just have one question: can someone make an IaMP tier list based on damage output?. I can't really tell, everyone's defense is way too high. >_>

http://iamp.mizuumi.net/index.php/Main_Page

It's most likely here. If not, well I don't play IaMP that much, so I can't really help there.

Also, that's not really a question, but more of a request.