Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor -- Who wants a Let's Play?  (Read 19193 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Part of me has wanted to do an LP of a game for some time, but because I don't have the PC version of Bioshock and I don't feel comfortable running a game I haven't played in years (because I already beat it and info's still lingering around in my head), I decided to set my sights on this game. I loved Persona 4 when I played it (and just recently beat it), so I figured I might as well give another MegaTen game a try.

What I'd want to hear is your opinion on this matter, since for some reason I can't make polls yet. =P

PS: Please don't ask me to grab a ROM of the game online before it comes out, I'd rather not be spoiled when I finally buy it physically. (kicks self for doing that in Persona 4)

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor -- Who wants a Let's Play?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »
Short Version: Do it.

Long Version: I've never played anything MegaTen related before and I want to see what they're like.  Do it.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
I'm considering grabbing this game; seeing a LP thereof would be nice.

Do it.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
Fuck, it's out already?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
No, it'll be out in June. I preordered it recently.
Spoiler:
For a while there I thought everyone ignored this topic because I was being a ⑨ =P Also, lack of super tiny text and ability to delete own threads is fail

@Rabbit: It's a bit like Pokemon, only 10x harder. I only played Persona 4, but the mechanics are more or less the same. The protagonist can recruit/find demons and raise them, but they level up slowly, so you have to fuse them into stronger demons/personas as you progress. As far as I can tell, SMTDS is a bit like Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy Tactics, but every unit consists of three members, so they're like mini-parties.

EDIT: SMTDS is coming out on the 23rd bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I can't wait that lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng T_T

EDIT EDIT: I found a JPN rom of the game, but unless someone was nice enough to make an english translation patch, this LP will have to wait.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »
it'll be translated, officially.. just give it a bit of time.
That's the only reason I got a psp anyway

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Edible

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:19 AM »
Did i do something wrong... oh wait.. Damn, i think it is the wrong game again =P

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:27:20 AM »
Did i do something wrong... oh wait.. Damn, i think it is the wrong game again =P

SMT: Devil Survivor is for the DS...

Anyway, I finished the game already completely. Multiple endings galore! It is your responsibility as LPer, Lem, to get all the endings!!!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »
Anyway, I finished the game already completely. Multiple endings galore! It is your responsibility as LPer, Lem, to get all the endings!!!
ASDFFFFFFFFFFF That's the part that irks me a bit. In Persona 3 and 4, they pretty much hit you over the head with what actions will end the game/give you a bad or good ending. In the base series, not so much. However, it's not too much of a problem if there are multiple save files, but considering this is on the DS I'm afraid save spaces might be limited.

Still, it'd be stupid to not cover all the endings, and I'll do so...For once, without a guide! Hopefully. (resists urge to look at GameFAQs)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:50 AM »
ASDFFFFFFFFFFF That's the part that irks me a bit. In Persona 3 and 4, they pretty much hit you over the head with what actions will end the game/give you a bad or good ending. In the base series, not so much. However, it's not too much of a problem if there are multiple save files, but considering this is on the DS I'm afraid save spaces might be limited.

Still, it'd be stupid to not cover all the endings, and I'll do so...For once, without a guide! Hopefully. (resists urge to look at GameFAQs)

I believe there are more than one file save slot but I could be wrong. It came out months ago in Japan, and yeah.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »
Okay so it's been a while, I know, but SMTDS is coming out in a couple days so I figured I might as well prepare for my LP.

I seem to have hit a snag here...I have no idea how to take screenshots on NO$GBA without having to copypaste every time I want to catch something epic. I COULD record videos, but I have no idea which program is best for that (and I don't exactly have money to burn, either). Can someone help me?

Edible

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:17:27 AM »
Oh yeah, this comes out tomorrow.  I'll pick it up before work.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:53 AM »
They said the 23rd...Oh well. I can wait.

I'm fiddling around with Camtasia 6 (easy serial keys are easy), but I'm having a problem getting video to record smoothly. When it plays back, it ends up choppy. Any advice?

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:14:02 AM »
SRPG game like this is better in SS unless you play so much that you don't need to think about it because you will either waste time thinking how to go next or probably lost for rushing and saving video time.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 06:31:10 AM »
SRPG game like this is better in SS unless you play so much that you don't need to think about it because you will either waste time thinking how to go next or probably lost for rushing and saving video time.
Or posting it on a site that allows for long vids like Veoh. However, I'm getting sick of trying to capture video using Camtasia (apparently it doesn't like it when you switch to a fullscreen game while it's recording, and the annoying thing is that it ALWAYS takes you out of a fullscreen game when you start recording), and it doesn't always record smooth video. ESPECIALLY not when a game's in windowed mode. Fraps won't work for me, but I managed to get a copy of Snagit. My only gripe is that you can't designate a region to capture before you hit the kotkey like you can with Camtasia, so I'll have to go fullscreen and crop the images in Photoshop. Small price to pay, what I wanted was one-button screen capturing, and Snagit accomplishes that well.

I was also planning on doing the Aveyond series of RPGs in an LP series as well.

shinyjam

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:14 AM »
I use Screen hunter 5.0, is like the best. But it won't work on small application like NO$GBA, use it for your other game though.

Edible

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 03:11:11 AM »
Picked it up today, played it on the train and on break at work.  Fun stuff.  Not sure I like that the only way to get new demons is to auction 'em, though...

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 03:53:13 AM »
I use Screen hunter 5.0, is like the best. But it won't work on small application like NO$GBA, use it for your other game though.
I got ScreenCopy, which instantly turns any prntscrn keypress into a JPG saved to your HD. OMG. I love it.  ;D It's perfect for what I need.

Picked it up today, played it on the train and on break at work.  Fun stuff.  Not sure I like that the only way to get new demons is to auction 'em, though...
It's not too bad. I had enough macca for the first few demons, it's 4x the normal bidding price (I think), but it's worth it.

shinyjam

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
As it always happen in many aution game, instead of bidding little at a time, push it all the way up and everyone will be too scared to bid.

Bid begin: 40
Bid normally: End with 120-140
Big bid in first go: 100, everyone dropped.

I too hoped something like demon negotiation...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:05:39 PM by shinyjam »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
Guys, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this LP thing. It's an awful lot of work to capture those SSes, write out the text, and remember the details of what you did. While I enjoy reading LPs, I don't think I'm the kind of person who wants to make them. It feels like too much of a hassle. I want to play video games to have fun, and I don't think I'm having fun if I'm trying to make a friggin' documentary of it.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
Wow, I missed this topic for this long?  I need to get out of UGW more often.

Anyway, to an LP, you need to be able to do three things:

1.  Deeply enjoy the game, unless you're a machist that enjoys pain.  Xan didn't like The Dark Spire too much.
2.  Have loads of free time.  This was my problem as summer stuff got in the way REAL fast.
3.  Be able to write a "documentary" because if it's a screenshot LP, you're going to be doing a lot of screenshots/copying text by eye and hand.

Regardless, I'd give LPing a shot, as if you enjoy it, you'll love it, if you hate it, just drop it before you get too far in.  Making witty comments is optional, and your own funny characters are optional too, but liven it up a bit.

So yeah, got time and interest as well as that heart of a reporter, and you're fine.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
You're back? Sweet! ;D Like I said, I'd like to LP it but I'm not sure if I can follow through. I'll give it some more thought...If the Aveyond games don't distract me first. Which they are. LOLz.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »
Does this game work for R4's ?
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:35 PM »
Does this game work for R4's ?

I know the Japanese version does!  :yukkuri:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »
What're those?

They are flash-cart devices. You put MicroSD card with .nds files in them and the flash-cart reads them for you to play. Well you must boot them up from a shell first.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:49 AM »
Oh, right. I don't use flash cards, they're a bit hard on the wallet.

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 05:03:21 AM »
not that much harder than the games themselves. two games and you're already saving money. heck, one Japanese game with an English translation pack and it's already payed for itself.

but yeah, apparently LPs are very hard work like Ramus said. if you think playing games on a daily basis requires no life, then writting about and making fun of what happens ever step of the way through a game must require negative life. I guess that would make you undead, though :V

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »
if you think playing games on a daily basis requires no life, then writting about and making fun of what happens ever step of the way through a game must require negative life. I guess that would make you undead, though :V
Actually, if I was playing video games on a daily basis I'd probably be working for Game Informer or similar. I'm not very busy these days, I COULD be spending my time doing an LP, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to commit to it.