Author Topic: eXceed 2nd -Vampire Rex-  (Read 14340 times)

Herasy

eXceed 2nd -Vampire Rex-
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »
So I just got done trying out this shmup I suddenly had an interest in (or I was incredibly bored) called eXceed 2nd, pretty good shmup with a bit of a twist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cRyz4BI4Y

Basically its like your average curtain fire game except you have the ability to switch between a red and white polarity, both polarities allow you to absorb the bullet of that particular polarities color. Points are gained in this game by absorbing lots of bullets which adds to your chain counter, you also get a laser ability which is usable once you absorb enough bullets.

There is a trial at (what I assume is) the creators website below.

http://www.tennen-sozai.com/down.htm

There is also a bunch of other games in the series which I have yet to check out, hopefully I will get ahold of those too  :)

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Re: eXceed 2nd -Vampire Rex-
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »
Ikaruga with hot vampire chicks, hell yeah. I got the full version on this machine, haven't played in awhile though. Been meaning to do another run, but I've been putting it off.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »
I love the music and the Ikaruga style gameplay is pretty neat too.  Admittedly I've been playing eXceed 3rd a lot more; it's more traditional but it's a faster pace shmup than Touhou, or at least it feels that way.  The eXceed series generally has good music.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:47 AM »
i Played eXceed 3rd, thought it was great (doesn't have the eXceed 2nd Ikaruga gimmick, but it doesn't need it)
since then i've been too busy playing other shmups (Hellsinker <3) so ill probably get around to this soon

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »
Sorry for reviving old topic, but it's applicable for me atm. I just discovered this game the other day...

Anyway how the hell do you guys have this game. I saw it on youtube, and can't find any listed on ebay, never seen it in stores, I can't even find a torrent. Listing torrent sites is probably against forum rules, but if anybody knows any other source or whatever I'd appreciate it, or pm me please... I'm interested in both 2 and 3 btw (maybe 1, haven't seen videos on it though).

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »
Sorry for reviving old topic, but it's applicable for me atm. I just discovered this game the other day...

Anyway how the hell do you guys have this game. I saw it on youtube, and can't find any listed on ebay, never seen it in stores, I can't even find a torrent. Listing torrent sites is probably against forum rules, but if anybody knows any other source or whatever I'd appreciate it, or pm me please... I'm interested in both 2 and 3 btw (maybe 1, haven't seen videos on it though).
i originally saw it at doujinstyle and downloaded it there. Sadly its forums only now o_-.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

AM

• You just ate!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
can't remember actually the site where I found it, but it was some Comiket 73 collection torrent published with kanji titles. It's probably somewhere, but requires some Japanese language and google-fu skills to find it.

...or share

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:22:14 AM »
old topic revival again...Is there a hard mode for exceed 3rd? I just played it today a few times, and beat normal 1cc including the final boss' second form. While it was fun, it was kinda easy overall...I was pretty dissapointed that that didn't unlock hard. I would assume that's how one does it, but I find it VERY hard to believe that there is no hard mode!

That being said any news on a 4th exceed game?\

I tried 2 as well btw, I really dislike the color changing scheme. Totally ruins how a shmup is meant to be played imo.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:27:19 AM »
Tennen-Sozai's newest work is eXceed3rd-Jade Penetrate-Black Package, which is slated for release at Comiket 76. I don't think they've announced eXceed4th yet.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
black package, black package

it will be better than vanilla
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

PN

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
Tennen-Sozai's newest work is eXceed3rd-Jade Penetrate-Black Package, which is slated for release at Comiket 76. I don't think they've announced eXceed4th yet.

Just as a warning, it is a more traditional shmup, and not Ikaruga style.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »

Just as a warning, it is a more traditional shmup, and not Ikaruga style.

Ikaruga style means color changing immunity right? (I'm a shmup noob). Jade penetrate is already that way. so black package wont be a suprise to anybody who enjoyed 3rd already.

I personally really dislike the whole red/blue color change crap in vampire rex, I found Jade penetrate to be quite enjoyable actually. Enough to play it to death the last few days and manage to beat it on original difficulty with only  life missing.. DOH (I'm uploading a run that isn't so good on youtube, this is my 2nd clear, Imma upload the final boss on my most recent run to redeem myself >=P)

update: I might have to perfect vampire rex after all anyway because the final boss music is absolutely captivating... Seriously... It's not the kind of music I like but I fell in love when I heard it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:24:42 AM by Ghaleon »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
so people in this thread have played eXceed 3rd

how exactly does scoring work?
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »
so people in this thread have played eXceed 3rd

how exactly does scoring work?

If by exactly, you want to know the exact numbers for each kill/powerup... I have no clue.. But from what I gather so far:

1: gain points for killing enemies (I think it's always 20, regardless of enemy type)
2: gain points for picking up power ups (I'm less sure. seems to be about 30 early game, and around 70 for late game, maybe it grows by 5 for each extend you've gained or something. no clue)
3: you lose points steadily (like 10 a second or something) for each second fighting a boss

Grazing or whatever doesn't give points.

Black package is another story:

1: 100 points for each powerup you get, multiplied by the multiplier you see upon aquiring them (I don't know how the multipliers work though...my best guess is that it doubles between fixed intervels in each level, or, they double between fixed intervals of the graze count for that level (so it gets reset between levels, despite the graze counter not resetting).
2: 50 points for each graze
3: no points for killing enemies, and no point loss for time spent in combat with a boss

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
This sort of reminds me of a game called rRootage...

There's a mode called Ika mode that lets you switch between the colors like in that game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXYXU1RF1xs

Here's the download link:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

There's also a linux version:

http://rrootage.sourceforge.net/

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »
yes, that mode is based off of an older game called Ikaruga; so is the topic of this thread

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
yes, that mode is based off of an older game called Ikaruga; so is the topic of this thread

Oh, sorry, didn't read

LtC

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
I tried 2 as well btw, I really dislike the color changing scheme. Totally ruins how a shmup is meant to be played imo.
it's all about having some variety in games you play, you'll get bored if you play the same kind of "shoot+bomb vs lots of bullets" games all the time. I'd suggest you try out Takumi's bullet eating shmups (Gigawing & Mars Matrix) to see how they play, you might want to give RefleX a go (just because it's an awesome game) as well. Vampire rex is definately the best exceed game so it's worth it going through some effort trying to get into it.

Honestly the demo felt like they took the sprites from vanilla and implemented them into some random touhou game/clone. Way more slow paced than the original game, which was one of the main reasons I liked it. Well at least they took out the ridiculous amount of extends you got in the vanilla version. I'm way more eager to see full version of StellaVanity.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »
it's all about having some variety in games you play, you'll get bored if you play the same kind of "shoot+bomb vs lots of bullets" games all the time. I'd suggest you try out Takumi's bullet eating shmups (Gigawing & Mars Matrix) to see how they play, you might want to give RefleX a go (just because it's an awesome game) as well. Vampire rex is definately the best exceed game so it's worth it going through some effort trying to get into it.

Honestly the demo felt like they took the sprites from vanilla and implemented them into some random touhou game/clone. Way more slow paced than the original game, which was one of the main reasons I liked it. Well at least they took out the ridiculous amount of extends you got in the vanilla version. I'm way more eager to see full version of StellaVanity.

Yeah I noticed how slow it is too. Yet it's also noticeably harder, and not because of the lack of extends. I find it much harder to just beat stage 1 without bombing or dying (on hard that is) than it is to beat  both stage 1 and 2 combined on vanilla 3rd. Seems like the deathbomb time is very unforgiving too (which sucks for me cuz I'm rather used to reliably bombing only after I notice myself die on 3rd..but I can't manage to do it on black package).

As for trying out 2nd. I just did again recently, and I don't think I'll ever enjoy it. It's just not what makes a shmup fun for me. I like the feeling of intensity you get with dodging mind-boggling amounts of bullets or whatever. With the color change thing though, it doesn't really feel like you dodge a whole lot rather than flying thru pre-determined mazes or whatever.

I don't even enjoy watching replays of it as much (mine or otherwise), just doesn't look as impressive >=(. I thought when I watched another person play the final boss on vampire rex, that it just looked lame cuz the person was very skilled and simply made it look easy. But even though it's not quite easy for me, when I struggle with it...it looks easy then too! >=P I just don't think it suits my tastes I guess. Point is moot anyway, black package seems to be made the way I enjoy it. And the fact that it's similar to Touhou is only to my benefit since I'm mostly playing other shmups right now to practice my general shmupping skills so I can beat lunatic PCB without getting bored of it.

update:
I just beat the trial of eXceed 3rd black package on hard no autobomb without 1 death and saved the replay. But it's horribly out of sync. I didn't even manage to beat stage1 on the replay. Experimenting I viewed my other 2 replays, and they are also unable to beat the first stage. blahhhh...They better have the replay feature fixed in the full version!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:56:56 AM by Ghaleon »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »
Intentional double post since topic shift.

Anyway, if anybody other than me was really looking forward to eXceed black package this comiket (it was supposed to be out) It has been delayed. I read from tennen-sozai's site the following. The english is poor because I had to use google translate:

"I have been updated since almost half a year, this core business (FLAT) or have been released in the first book was a busy first half there's something new.
Was scheduled for completion in the summer but that the community "eXceed3rd-JADE PENETRATE-BLACK PACKAGE", now that we have to postpone the sale until the winter community.
If I was looking forward to completion, I'm so sorry.

Instead it is difficult, the Trial of the five stages that can be played until one side and 200 on special gifts for you.
That up to five terms, the contents included in the generic version (SERESUTIA to true) is ready to play.
Black package is expected to add new elements and new characters and more EKUSUTORASUTEJI.
If you go to play in our community during the summer, please stop into the booth and natural materials. "

I don't understand alot of that but "delayed until winter" is pretty clear. It sounds like there is an updated trial with 5 levels. That sounds really generous for a trial though. so I think that was lost in translation >=P.