Author Topic: Collaboration - Making an amazing player?  (Read 4734 times)

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
Collaboration - Making an amazing player?
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
Looking around Rika's Garage, I really haven't seen any collaborative works not games, but single efforts, like spellcards, and, well, Players. So, I wanted to call together a bunch(or not bunch) of people, to make a really kick-A player~  8)

Whoever wants to sign up can sign up (it's reccomended that you can script, and/or do something useful. :V)

I didn't decide on who we'd be making, so yeah, people can say things and then we can vote like a good diplomatic internet.

thank you!  :*

Participants:
-Kaguya(ChaoStar)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: Collaboration - Making an amazing player?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:31 AM »
Well, the thing about making a player character is it's actually very little work programming wise. The whole issue is coming up with a good concept and having nice graphics for it, so beyond one person who's good at programming and one person good at making graphics, there's not actually much room for a lot of people to help out.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:35:46 AM »
Well, the thing about making a player character is it's actually very little work programming wise. The whole issue is coming up with a good concept and having nice graphics for it, so beyond one person who's good at programming and one person good at making graphics, there's not actually much room for a lot of people to help out.

*crushed* T___T

well, I'm looking for someone for big graphics, someone for sound effects, and another coder, so inspiration won't be bleh. I guess, we could just wait and make this a contest? :V

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:30:10 AM »
As I see it, making a "good player" is just a means to an end. It's not a question of "good" or "bad" except with respect to what you're trying to do (a fast-but-weak character? A perfect recreation of IN's Ghost Team? Something completely overpowered and broken?), and what kind of patterns you want them to be played in.

So, yes, a themed contest would probably work better.

(Also, planning on creating a "collaboration" when you don't actually have anyone else yet? Bad idea. You get a group of people together first, then give them different tasks based on what they're good at and what they want to do.)

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »
Something completely overpowered and broken?
I've already got that base covered 8)

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
I was actually planning to make a Parsee player a few weeks ago, but decided not to do it until I had the time... (Unfocused shot being straightforward shooting, focused shot being the options follow enemies on screen while making random semi-transparent bullets, like green-eyed monster, semi-transparent so it doesn't blind the player, bombs probably having something something like midnight anathema ritual or Shiro's Ashes, etc.)

I guess that's SORT OF a good idea :D I don't know...
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
Make a player that shoots brofists~

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »

Unzan appears in the bomb and shoots infinite brofists everywhere...
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
I'm afraid Suikama already got that one covered, too. In the same player script, even.  :V

On topic, I'd be glad to contribute to the coding, but I think there are other people here who are better than me at that.
Graphics, well... I have nothing to offer but awful paint jobs.
Sound effects are not that hard to find on the web if you know what to look for, though you probably won't find exactly the sound you're looking for. In that case combining different sound effects may yield better results.

The thing with creating player scripts is that they are just very unrewarding scripts to make.
As was already stated, the most of the work is to get good looking graphics, not the coding. Compare that to spellcard or even boss scripts, where some well thought out danmaku will let you get away with using no other graphics at all.
Then compare playing the same boss battle with different characters to playing different boss battles with the same character. What is usually more fun?

I think I've made my point.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
I'm afraid Suikama already got that one covered, too. In the same player script, even.  :V
8)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »
Hm... maybe a Player with options and power-up ability like in Gradius... I know it?s wierd but... atleast it?s something...