Author Topic: [Intro/Social]Shanghai's Artist Coalition Headquarters(AKA Alice's Tea Cupboard)  (Read 149434 times)

Goldom

• Whee
Wow, I've used Monoprice for cables and <$1 items, but had no idea they had their own lines of real hardware. Those prices are frighteningly low compared to Wacom, do they seriously work properly? I've got a super-old Wacom Intuos 2 that's about 5" long, which is a bit unwieldly with today's screen resolutions. I only use it for touching up things once in a blue moon and handwriting sometimes, so I figured it wasn't worth replacing at Wacom's prices, but this is tempting.

Bio

• resident walker
Wacoms are good because of their pen. I use a wacom tablet now, and use my wacom pen on another tablet pc (pressure sensitive etc.) with a cintiq hidden somewhere since my room's a mess to use.
First of, size doesn't really matter, you can do well with any size if you're a complete newbie to graphics tablets, getting used to it is easy. I don't deny that a bigger tablet makes it sometimes easier to draw curves though.
However paper based drawing is totally different to computer based. And not all skills are directly transferrable. Basic line art is probably though. But things like layers, masking, changing hue and saturation is another thing entirely.
There shouldn't be any additional software required to actually use the tablet, but an actual drawing program is usually required. I personally use a combination of Paint Tool SAI, Adobe Photoshop CS6 (still under school discount, hurray) and Corel Painter 12 (expensive things).

I guess the criteria you need to consider is, the screen resolution of your computer (not applicable with tablet pcs), how used to software drawing tools the user is (and styles of art that would like to be produced), price range, your OS and other technical things (like usb ports or what).

I do want to mention that wacom's come with a software disc that has Painter and Adobe Photoshop Elements however.

pineyappled

I do want to mention that wacom's come with a software disc that has Painter and Adobe Photoshop Elements however.
Useless nerfed software.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.

But that's the thing, a lot of Monoprice reviews seem to say the things are incredible, superior or equal to the Wacoms, at a much smaller price. At any rate, it's more worth it than to fork out a lot of cash on a premium tablet for a first time user.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Bio

• resident walker
Useless nerfed software.
It's free and quite usable to get a feel for the tablet without having to download or buy something though. Think that was mainly is its use is.

pineyappled

Speaking of free programs, try mypaint.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
There's the Social thread to talk about stuff :derp:

Also Monoprice is cheap as fuc and everyone says they're the best thing since sliced bread so.

Haha, looks like you were right, had some trouble finding the thread again, thanks for the hint and thanks to whoever moved the thread!

Anyway, sorry for answering so late, thanks a lot for all the answers, everyone!
It looks like I managed to understand the basic approach, so all that's left is a choice which seems to involve either Wacom (which I had previously seen on Amazon) and Monoprice. I have yet to dig through all the reviews, but in general, it seems like the additional software (additional to any software that might be delivered along with the tablet depending on my choice) might wind up being more expensive, depending on what I decide on.
For the start, I mainly want my sister to get used to some basic workings of computer drawing and figure out if this is what she wants to do. As Biohazurd pointed out, it's different from drawing on paper, so it might not even be her thing, which would be annoying after a more expensive investment. Basically, the tablets that come with additional software, even though it's not overly complex, would still retain quite a bit of value given this situation.

General question, assuming it's not my sister's thing to draw with drawing tablets - do any of you have any experience scanning pictures and any recommendations there?

What's more, the screen resolution, in how far does it play a role when using a drawing tablet?

Thanks again for all your input so far, I greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:48:54 AM by Lepetit89 »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
I have no experience with the relation between tablet sizes and screen resolutions, but I myself have done the painstaking method of scanning and doing computer art. Two ways, one is photoshop's line tool to create the lineart (I have a friend who does this too, while waiting to get a tablet) and my way back then was to use Adobe Flash, since it would auto smooth my lines.
Spoiler:
I got it free from a teacher

When she does get a tablet and complains how hard it is to adapt, tell her it's normal :v

Actually, instead of purchasing a program, you could ask around if anyone you know are willing to share theirs? For example, my dad borrowed the photoshop disc and code from his friend so I could install it onto my computer.

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Bio

• resident walker
Actually, instead of purchasing a program, you could ask around if anyone you know are willing to share theirs? For example, my dad borrowed the photoshop disc and code from his friend so I could install it onto my computer.
Sharing software bought with a single user license is technically illegal, or at least frowned upon. "Borrowing" it on a trial like basis is borderline though. Still think just using the freeware you can get (depending on the OS) such as the ones previously mentioned in the thread is still a good thing to do before investing in PS.
As for scanning pictures, I have no idea really. Your best bet is to get a good enough scanner and then do some light photo manipulation with something like GIMP to warp the image if the scanner didn't pick it up completely flat.
The screen resolution of your monitor should match the available tablet space on the tablet. There'll be a select part of the tablet where the pen will only work, in a rectangle shape. That box should have the same aspect ration as your monitor or else it'll go a bit crazy and when you're drawing your strokes will get stretched or compressed unnaturally.

One of the main things your sister should get used to is using a program as a basis for drawing, and the limitations vs advantages of them/ Using the tablet isn't really that big of a change over, ignoring the fact that you need hand-eye coordination (unless you get something fancy like a cintiq). Guess you can't really tell until you actually try though.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
I'm pretty sure it's more worth it to save money on the tablet and get a feel for it with free software/software demos than to buy a more expensive thing just based on the subjective value of pointless shovelware that comes with it.

Hand-eye coordination is prety much the same as one needs to draw on paper anyway, you just have to get used to not having your hand in sight.
Screen resolution doesn't really matter as long as the aspect ratio matches, and that's adjustable through driver calibration, anyway.

Honestly, the best bet here is to go for the cheaper Monoprice and GIMP or a PS/SAI trial, and see if she likes how a tablet feels.
                                                                                   .

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
The screen resolution of your monitor should match the available tablet space on the tablet. There'll be a select part of the tablet where the pen will only work, in a rectangle shape. That box should have the same aspect ration as your monitor or else it'll go a bit crazy and when you're drawing your strokes will get stretched or compressed unnaturally.

Okay, so if I want to use a tablet and have a 16:9 monitor, I'll need a 16:9 tablet? Do the size of the screen or its resolution also play a role or do I really only need to consider the aspect ratio? I'm not 100% sure if I'm understanding you correctly there, it just sounds like there would be really big tablets out there otherwise.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
::completelyignored::

Screen resolution doesn't really matter as long as the aspect ratio matches, and that's adjustable through driver calibration, anyway.
The size of the monitor has no relationship with the tablet, the screen resolution isn't a problem either.
The tablet will probably come calibrated to a 16:9 screen(as in, the active responsive surface of the tablet will be in 16:9 shape) because that's the ratio for most monitors, but even if you do have something else, that's usually adjustable through the drivers.
                                                                                   .

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
The size of the monitor has no relationship with the tablet, the screen resolution isn't a problem either.
The tablet will probably come calibrated to a 16:9 screen(as in, the active responsive surface of the tablet will be in 16:9 shape) because that's the ratio for most monitors, but even if you do have something else, that's usually adjustable through the drivers.

I see, that's a relief, guess it would have been a little weird otherwise.

::completelyignored::

No, no, no, not ignoring anyone, sorry, sorry! It's just that this was the last unclear aspect left, I'm giving all suggestions consideration right now.

Regardless, thank you very, very much for all the advice to everyone involved, I really appreciate your patience with me, you helped me out a lot! I'll see if I can keep you updated on how everything turned out!

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
I hope this is the right place to ask  :ohdear: When I color my lineart, the paint bucket tool leaves some white pixelly outline in some parts. I tried just filling that outline with the right color using the pen tool, but then it makes the lineart look worse and even awkward, like so (please ignore the incompleteness of the coloring).

I'd appreciate help on avoiding this problem.

Bio

• resident walker
 Play around with paint bucket settings. Forget what it is called exactly, should be the same thing as magic wand I think?

Teewee

I use sai, though. Tried playing with it regardless, but didn't find what I was looking for ^^;

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
I use sai, though. Tried playing with it regardless, but didn't find what I was looking for ^^;

From my experience, without cellbrush/selection, the SAI program automatically calculates the area to be painted and therefore, leaves  those white pixels. If you have a tablet, try out [select] - [bucket] combo. Also try making the line little thicker by using 1.0 or higher rather than 0.7 which is the default while working in high-resolution canvas (ie. 2000x2000 or higher). I hope these tips help, nonetheless, happy drawing. 

Teewee

I'll try and mess around some more with that advice, thanks ^^ Oh, and a topic for discussion:

When I become a good-enough artist, I'll get to making a blog that shows how I learned things such as figure drawing, scenery, and such; using a comparative "this ver is wrong, this corrected ver is right, and here's a paragraph or two explaing why and how it works". That's how I learned best, and since there's hardly a resource on the net that teaches that way, I think it'd be a nice way to give back to the art community; as a thank-you for helping me and putting up with whatever in my brain makes it hard for me to learn art normally.

So, how do you guys give (or plan to give) back to the art community? :)

...did I make the topic right?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:44:49 PM by Pun Terrorist »

I kind of feel like the art community gives back unto itself with great art to inspire and motivate peers and young, future artists, but maybe that is because I am so motivated by 16th-18th century art haha.

I was hoping to finish my Reimu painting, but it looks like I was too slow and now I have to pack and then drive from texas to the north east during a snow storm :S

When i eventually get settled and set up internet I WILL be posting my painting dedicated to the lovely Reimu ;P
marccasper.deviantart.com

for the art and stuff! :3

Bio

• resident walker
I shout at people that their proportions are terrible and if able, redo them myself.
I'm really helpful.

Also I sometimes do tutorials. On things.

So after a 3 day hell drive in a uhual truck truck tx to pittsburgh and then me and my friend being almost homeless we finally got our keys to a place today :,D. Still no internet besides my phones 4g but figured id update with good news! Hope everyones new years was awesome!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
What?
                                                                                   .

Hmm, besides accidentally typing the word "truck" twice in a row i thought the rest of my post was fairly coherent; I moved across the country, was in danger of being homeless due to being denied from an apartment building, but found somewhere else to live.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
Oh okay
                                                                                   .

pineyappled

downlode fotoshawp/cs2 4 free

Site is down now, though? That, or it was limited and we all missed it.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Is there a way to get vector versions of Walfa's characters? Is there a way to download sometime made in create.swf other then taking a screen shot of it?

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]

Site is down now, though? That, or it was limited and we all missed it.

It looks like its not free after all.

So it would still technically be illegal to download it.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
I hope this is the right place to ask  :ohdear: When I color my lineart, the paint bucket tool leaves some white pixelly outline in some parts. I tried just filling that outline with the right color using the pen tool, but then it makes the lineart look worse and even awkward, like so (please ignore the incompleteness of the coloring).

I'd appreciate help on avoiding this problem.

Don't use the paint bucket. Make a separate layer (or layers) for color underneath the lineart layer. Use the magic wand on the lines--the selected area will show up in blue--then add or subtract from the selected area as necessary, using the SelPen and SelEras tools, and finally switch to the color layer and hit Ctrl+F.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

pineyappled

It looks like its not free after all.

So it would still technically be illegal to download it.
Thought it was too good to be true that Adobe would be giving out free $500 dollar software. Oh well.

Teewee

Don't use the paint bucket. Make a separate layer (or layers) for color underneath the lineart layer. Use the magic wand on the lines--the selected area will show up in blue--then add or subtract from the selected area as necessary, using the SelPen and SelEras tools, and finally switch to the color layer and hit Ctrl+F.

I'll try that next time I color. Thanks.