Author Topic: The importance of music  (Read 19616 times)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: The importance of music
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
A solid music track has influenced my choice in video games for as long as I can remember, and Touhou is no different. Come to think, since the boss themes (and some stage themes) are essentially leitmotifs for each boss, the music serves an even bigger part than usually in conveying each character's personality and even plays a hand in deciding my favorite characters as well.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
But red?

Does it ever get to a point where you can't stand the character herself but love the theme and then have to find some compromise between the two which ends in liking the character.

Touhou's music tends to serve a greater purpose than other games' music. Courtesy of captain obvious.
Aside from the music, I also like the pretty patte--*dies*

Continue? (1 left)
Yes
No

:(

Pretty how much I reacted to Meiling's first midboss spellcard in EoSD Normal.

Pretty much how i react to stage 2 and 3

Darned laser festival (SA stage 3) how come the music's so great?

Kogasa = taste the rainbow

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
But red?

Does it ever get to a point where you can't stand the character herself but love the theme and then have to find some compromise between the two which ends in liking the character.

Sort of? It's more of one thing overriding another. There is a single instance of the only Touhou that I dislike clashing with a tune I enjoy from a general standpoint. Still, her canon AND fanon personality would most likely result in the two of us constantly at each others' throats. Hence, a grand total of ONE instance(s) of disliking a character but liking her theme song.

Inversely, there are numerous characters with themes I enjoy and there seems to be a direct correlation between my favorite songs and my favorite characters. It's not a universal system without outliers, but for the most part, the system works.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
Darned laser festival (SA stage 3) how come the music's so great?

Because Former Hell knows how to party.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »
Thinking of music, I listened to Riddles covered in flowers today. And -enjoyed- it.

Last time I listened to it I felt a feeling of sour disapointment. Its lack of epic just makes it easy listening UI-70, I suppose?

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
The awesomeness of the song: Walking the Streets of a Former Hell makes up for the times I panic-splode on blue lasers

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 02:45:12 PM »
I don't care how much BS SA stage 5 is. Lullaby of deserted hell is always worth it.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
I don't care how much BS SA stage 5 is. Lullaby of deserted hell is always worth it.

Yes. Even though, since Ruro, it's not that hard.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »
I agree that music has a great effect upon the games that I play.

Among every game I can think of, there's always at least one song that has stuck in my head that I can always remember and refer to the game through, ranging from Kirby Superstar with King Dedede's theme to Modern Warfare 2's Boneyard Flyby theme. The only game I can think of that I do not actually recall a song for is Bioshock as that game's atmosphere allows the lack of music to work perfectly. The songs really do highlight parts of the game and make the experience so much better. They make Resident Evil 2 even more creepier, Call of Duty so much more action packed, etc.

One of the reasons I got into Touhou was of course, the music. I heard one of the songs and that got me hooked into the series. The songs always feel perfect for the area that I'm in and get me more into the game than without it, though it does distract me of my focus at times. My first attempt against Flandre ended incredibly quick because I was too busy singing too her theme to actually notice half the bullets. Either way I would of died as quickly as I did. Fun to make excuses though.

Drake

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »
even after dying i just listen to the game over music for an hour anyways

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -