Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou Discussion #3  (Read 193035 times)

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou Discussion #3
« Reply #990 on: May 28, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
So I started playing too

anything I should know?(except for evasion not working)

Hmm, that I can remember right now, this game is hard, in the fun way. You actually need to think rather then a "spam one move over and heal when needed" thing.

Buffs and De-Buffs are awesome when you start getting them, they at best cut enemy stats down to 50% and shoot your stats up to 200%, thats what, a 400% effectiveness boost?. That is, without cheating to increase how much you can buff/de-buff :V

Any team is capable of beating the game, so you can use whoever you want, but some characters are better then others.

Generally, avoid using the name of a character seen on 5F+ or on the 2nd+ character page to avoid spoiling. Either something like "7F girl"/"12F boss" sort of refering, or use of spoiler tags would be best.

Bananamatic

« Reply #991 on: May 28, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
about leveling up bonuses

should I just use them for one stat?
Like Remilia purely atk, Reimu magic etc.

also, when do I get more tanks :V
Remi is cool I guess, China is a pure wall and Youmu does one attack and she's out of juice.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
about leveling up bonuses

should I just use them for one stat?
Like Remilia purely atk, Reimu magic etc.
Most people like to focus on one stat, but it really doesn't matter since level up bonuses are inferior to skillpoint bonuses. So basically whatever you choose, it can be offset by whatever you decide to invest your skillpoints into. If you want to be a real efficiency perfectionist, I suppose you can find out what the most expensive stat to raise via skillpoints is for that particular character (but is still a useful stat) and focus on that, but that's just kinda weird. Just don't spend it on sp ever, you can spend skillpoints on sp, and at some point in the game, you'll find yourself never needing more sp, you'll never run out unless an enemy casts destroy magic or something...Some characters are exceptions though, remi and chen come to mind.

also, when do I get more tanks :V
Remi is cool I guess, China is a pure wall and Youmu does one attack and she's out of juice.
This is a big flaw IMO, there is not enough variety in tanks. China is what I call a slot 1 tank, a tank that can survive in the first slot reliably. Remi is one too early game, but eventually  she is probably best considered a slot 2 tank, Youmu is inferior to remi in this regard. Many characters can be considered a slot 1 tank in very specific situations, even patchy for example, but situational scenarios aside, It's pretty much just China and 10F tank. 6F girl has good hp and defens,e but absolutely horrid mnd, so, she can be a good slot 1 tank provided the enemy doesn't have a big single target/row attack magic nuke, Wriggle is also a kinda-slot 2 tank, umm.. Some people like 7F girl as a "hp tank". She really isn't a proper tank, she's just good cuz her hp is great (both her def and mnd suck), so generally she's useful for late game bosses who have no threat aside from attacks which ignore defense completely, etc.

Other things you should know...
Many of these you probably already do know:

switching costs 1 tp, when you switch a character out, it's as if they are still on the battlefield spamming "focus" the entire time, so in a boss fight, if you need a particular character to regain sp, it's often better to switch them than to focus them, focus is only better when you need that person out because they can take a hit better than any potential replacement or something.. They also retain all their buffs (and debuffs though) while switched out. So you wont have them wasting away uselessly while you're at 0 sp.

I've read some sources that say the people in the front 4 get 100% exp, the other 8 in the back get 90%, and everyone in the mansion gets 80%. My own personal experience says that all 12 of your party members get 100%, regardless of who is in the front or back. Maybe this changed with a specific version or the plus disk. I haven't really bothered to compare to people in the mansion.

You may want to use the wiki to research how to get some characters. There's no shame in not knowing that you need to fight 250 battles with 4 different but specific characters to get another character. There are only a few cases like this but it's good to know in advance. No, there is no way to tell how many battles you've fought. As long as you use everyone relatively equally until the point where you have more than 12 party members, you've probably met the criteria already for all of those joinables except the 12F girl. She's the only one that requires a battlecount for characters that you may not even have in your party at all ever.

Row attacks deal 100% damage to one target (normally left to right, but sometimes giant mofos in the middle count as the first), 80% to the next, 40%, then 20%.

The game doesn't really REQUIRE grinding until 16F boss/18f Boss, it's just pretty challenging if you don't grind beforehand, note that some bosses (Youmu is the only case that comes to mind  for me, but I've heard of stories about 12F boss using their "IWIN" nuke early too) can cheese you if you have bad luck and they decide to perform an unfair combo on you when you are behind on level.

Status resists (statdown,poi,par,etc) are multiplied by 3. So having a par resistance of 20 actually means you resist it 60% of the time (it's actually  more more often than not since most par attacks don't have a 100% rate of success, it subtracts the chance, not divides).

Bosses with the same graphic as the 7F boss are all very intimidating in their opening attack. That's as bad as it gets though, survive that gracefully, and the fight should be cake. Feel free to re-itimize/formation just for that attack. Squishier characters should survive mid-way thru the fight provided you buff them/debuff the boss.

durr.. umm.. I think that's it.

« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
Ghaleon, I think you mean 5F.  6F can't tank worth crap. :V  I definitely wouldn't recommend Youmu for a tank either unless everyone else is dead, especially considering how bad her mind is.

Also, 7F's tanking ability doesn't just come from her HP; elementaal resistances lower damage by a percentage, so if you pump her resistances then her lacking defense and mind are trivial against bosses without non-elemental spells.  I also happen to like her for random battles versus characters like 10F that might get wiped by something with absurd attack power like a golem, but that's just me.

In short, your main tank selection is limited to:
Meiling
Remilia
5F (though I'm iffy on this personally; her mind's so low she pretty much gets insta-wiped by a single spell)
7F
10F

With other characters such as Wriggle capable of filling the role of a second slot tank (personally something I've never found to be useful ever; I just tend to put buffers such as Sakuya or 9F here).

Bananamatic

« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
How bad is missing some characters? I don't feel like picking up sidequest items :V

« Reply #995 on: May 28, 2010, 08:18:58 PM »
How bad is missing some characters? I don't feel like picking up sidequest items :V
That depends on the character. :V

There are a lot of characters I don't use anymore, but I can't think of one that I haven't found useful at some point in the game.  I really would recommend getting everyone anyway.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
I'd recommend going for everyone if only because it's worth the EXP you'll gain from doing so. Most of the optional characters are worth getting anyways.

Bananamatic

« Reply #997 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
How exactly do I gain exp from gaining characters? :V

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »
How exactly do I gain exp from gaining characters? :V
Boss fights with big EXP gain and massive SKP :D
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Bananamatic

« Reply #999 on: May 28, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
rumia sucks y/y

her only use was a decoy against Ifrit's opener

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #1000 on: May 28, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »
rumia sucks y/y

very true

Moonlight Ray is pretty effective as a magic nuke for the 5F boss fight, but mostly because you don't have much of a choice but to use her for then. Every level up she falls behind more, so bleh. And I really like Rumia ;_;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #1001 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »
rumia sucks y/y

She's still hitting decently well at level 81 for me with less-than-satisfactory equipment, but yeah, her usefulness is relatively situational.

Bananamatic

« Reply #1002 on: May 29, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »
ugh, F4 boss

I can kill the top one, but Silence is fucking AWFUL in this game

so basically, if I can't win, grind more?
and how important is putting skill points into resistances?

Earthsiege

• Rational Anarchist
  • The balance of power MUST be preserved.
« Reply #1003 on: May 29, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
She's still hitting decently well at level 81 for me with less-than-satisfactory equipment, but yeah, her usefulness is relatively situational.

It's really a shame that a spell with Moonlight Ray's numbers is in the hands of Rumia, there are characters later on who'd kill to get an attack like that. Which is probably why Rumia has it; it's all that makes her remotely useful.

ugh, F4 boss

Grinding helps, but equipment can make a big difference as well, once you get far enough in to have a lot of it.

Far as resists go, try to get them over 100, but don't go way out of your way to boost them except for 7F tank, since that's about all she's got.
http://pastebin.com/DzbzqF0k - LoT2 reference list. If anyone catches anything, drop me a line.

Bananamatic

« Reply #1004 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:53 AM »
Which characters are just outright trash?

Cirno also seems really crappy, even more so when anything fire elemental hits her.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #1005 on: May 29, 2010, 01:28:22 AM »
People also say Wriggle and Sakuya are terrible. I also recall a lot of Minoriko haet but I think that's gone by now. That's all I can recall from the earlier floors.

Back to 14F with my 2nd playthrough by the way. Ah 13F, good memories, good memories...
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #1006 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
ugh, F4 boss

Meiling can cure silence. Also, you can try taking out the left/right dolls before the top one. This consists of dealing about 300 damage to one, then after Healing Light moves, NUKE IT FASSST. Magic Light is weak to physical attacks and vice versa, they have like 1~1.1k hp. After Healing Light goes down, Alice starts using actual attacks, but she only throws status effects otherwise.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #1007 on: May 29, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »
1~1.1k hp
:teaspit:

EDIT: We are well over the 1k limit. Make a new thread.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:04:20 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #1008 on: May 29, 2010, 02:11:01 AM »
Beat her without almost any extra levels :V

Probably lucked through, maybe because I figured out that 2x Asteroid Belt>>>>>Master Spark.
Got hit by Little Legion at one point and only Remilia barely survived, but managed to get 4 remaining chars up...and she died after one Icicle Fall :V
She seems like a pretty good magic nuker.

Also got a Forbidden Tablet from her. Seems like a rather pimpin' item.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:14:53 AM by Bananamatic »

Matsuri

« Reply #1009 on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »
1000+ posts; locked.