Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest #4 - Laser Light Show (Results!)  (Read 89334 times)

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Danmakufu Contest #4 - Laser Light Show
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »
If I lose this contest, that's the next contest theme! Designing a whole game!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »
Oh crap GMT not EST, I have like 50 minutes left ;_;

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
Finally! After a whole week and two weekends of code wrestling I'm finally done this thing.

Get ready for the GenieGoose!

(It's 40 mb cause danmakufu would NOT play the music in .mp3 format. gdi)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:50:44 PM by Suikama the Robotic Unicorn »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2010, 11:58:13 PM »
Ffffff okay here it is.

Nothing fancy, uses default EX Rumia.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
I was wondering what the hell that was.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »
6 hours late to announce that the contest is now closed. I will be spending the next few hours just downloading the damn entries. You can expect the results in maybe two or three days.

EDIT: For some inexplicable reason, I cannot download the following files from MediaFire:

-Kayorei- Laser Light Show Entry.rar
Contest #4 Laser Light Show (Bark).rar
GlowingLightOrb 2.zip
Merlin Lazer Challenge.RAR
Suikamahaha.rar

MediaFire just times out before even starting the download. I have everyone else's entries and will start with those while waiting for either MediaFire to stop being stupid, or a mirror of the files.

EDIT: Nevermind, got someone on IRC to mirror it for me (thanks ChaoStar).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:37:09 AM by Blargel »
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »
I lied. Done judging. First, my reactions, impressions, and general criticism of everyone's entries.

Bark
The first attack has very nice design. The way the lasers spawn makes cool patterns and overall its difficulty doesn't feel cheap. The second attack felt kind of claustrophobic. Spaces seemed a bit small but I got used to it later. It got kind of boring then since you just find a small space every time. The final attack is pretty boring til the 3rd part. Then it feels extremely cheap. Superspeed lasers are generally a bad idea and the curvy lasers that were going in and out give no particular warning that they will actually go back in, causing me to run into them multiple times at the edge of the screen. Not a bad entry overall, but not exceptional either.

AweStrikerNova
Despite warnings from me and other people, you still didn't package the shot replace script with your script. It errored on me from a missing shot replace script so you are disqualified.

Hoppefrosk
What in the world am I fighting? Your first attack has a nice effect with the red lasers, but it's ridiculously cheap how the blue lasers just trap you while it spawns on top of you. If you didn't spawn every laser based off the player's position but only first one and then the rest are based off the first laser's position, that would've helped. Second attack was pretty boring until the lasers came in from the top. But it was still pretty easy. Your last attack on the other hand is ridiculously hard, mostly because of how all the other lasers cover the warning laser that two lasers are about to spawn right on top of me. When the whole screen gets covered in that design, my framerate drops ridiculously too. On the plus side, that design is interesting and I wonder how you made it. I'll need to look at your script in the near future.

Azure
Holy shit. Custom cut-ins, custom fonts, custom sprites, custom sound effects, custom background... pretty much as customized as you can get! All your effects are super cool and eyegasmic and I actually spent a good minute with invincibility on just watching your spellcard background.

Labryrinth of the Mind is really fun to play despite the simiplicity of the idea. However, the randomness at the end does throw some pretty unfair things at your if you're unlucky. (I swear random number generators hate me.) Multichromatic Trance however is rather plain danmaku-wise. It just feels like random spam, although it is rather pretty random spam because of your custom everything. One thing to nitpick about is the fact that I use MarisaA and your boss running around all over the screen doesn't exactly make it easy to hit it.

Kayorei
The first thing that I noticed after the custom sprite was that the lasers weren't very pretty looking. Lasers generally look better if you just use the default Danmakufu ones or a sprite sheet specifically made for additive blending. Anyways, moving on to the danmaku. First attack is a neat idea and pretty well executed. However, the 4 lasers that spawn on the boss that rotate seem kinda random and out of place. The second attack caught me off guard. About 5 times. Another nice idea, but it feels more full of cheap shots. At one point, the big laser the boss shot at me blocked off my escape route while one of the yellow lasers fell on me. The third attack is a super cheap shot. The glow effect gives the illusion that you can't go past them without getting killed. Then you realize this isn't true when the lasers rotate into you. When I tried again, I was cheap shotted by the sudden extending of the lasers.

Iryan
Haha, Walfas cutins. I've gotta say that the first attack doesn't really look like it belongs with the other two attacks. It's pretty plain and rather boring compared to the rest of the entry. Your second attack is just plain awesome though. I liked how it got increasingly hectic as more and more lasers lingered around. The final attack is a fractal. A freaking fractal. I always thought that doing a fractal with danmaku would be pretty cool but I took the time to think about how to make one, and here you are turning it into dodgeable danmaku at the same time. The double fractal was ridiculous at the end and my brain just sorta froze up when I realized two were spawning at once. And then the lasers grew around me while I was stationary and I didn't die lololol.

Demonbman
Okay first off, that background is terrible for a laser only contest. Lasers being additively blended, the brighter the background is, the harder it is to see the laser. Second, the difficulty of the whole script isn't on the scale of Easy, Normal, Hard, or Lunatic. It's not Extra or Phantasm. It's pretty much just cheapshot bullshit. The first attack pretty much proves my point as I died and bombed a ridiculously number of times just to get through it. The second attack doesn't seem to have any visible way to get past the giant rotating lasers and meanwhile merlin shoots godspeed lasers randomly about. You probably should've thought things through a bit more.

GBZero
A pretty short entry and pretty simple one too. All I had to do was move right and left over and over. Meanwhile the boss goes back and forth all over the place, making it impossible for my straight shooting MarisaA to get a good shot at him. Not too much to say here.

Nimble
Holy crap that's hard. But your stuff is always hard as hell for me so I don't know why I was expecting anything less than that. The first attack's lasers that spawn lasers completely caught me off guard and I immediately died. However the idea was pretty good, though probably done in a different way before. It felt familiar somehow. The second attack is actually something I can play. Another pretty good idea and executed nicely. The final attack is just all sorts of bullshit. I don't even know where to start except to ask if you can actually capture that attack yourself. Overall a good entry if not extremely difficult.

rdj522
I chuckled a little at the "Didn't quite turn out the way I wanted to..." in the description of the cards. Then I got an error stating that "null is not defined (line 10)" on Pong Laser, causing you to be disqualified. Starburst Laser is relatively easy if you just stream sideways a bit too. Hmmm, I wonder how the spellcards looked in your mind because these two aren't very exceptional.

Shockman
Hmmm, I'm not sure what I'm fighting for this entry either. Anyways, the danmaku has some pretty neat concepts, but because of the additive blending of lasers, some things were hard to see and just killed me. The first attack's purple lasers, for example, just covered up the raining red lasers, making it extremely hard to see if a red laser was about to hit me or not. The second attack is extremely simple, however. All you need to do is stream slowly left and right while making a gap to go between every so often. The laser attack's sudden change in pace surprised me, but I managed to stay alive for a while. I noticed it was pretty hard to see where the lines were sometimes and I died once or twice because of that. Not a bad entry.

Stuffman
Hahaha, joined the contest a bit too late? Looks like you only had time for the danmaku design, and no time for balance or extra touches. The first attack is pretty fun with all it's stuff flying everywhere, but it felt like something was missing. Not sure what though. The second attack scared me to death for the wave. I wasn't sure what to do and ran to the corner where the other giant lasers spawned. This second attack seemed kind of unfair too since the giant lasers pushed you down into the spawn location of the smaller ones. It got a little too close for comfort and gave me no time to react to small lasers. Or maybe my reaction time just sucks. For the third attack, the way the lasers spawn is a super cool effect, but when the danmaku starts reaching my player, I'm pretty much just cursing at the tiny spaces and dying multiple times. This probably could've been a great entry if you had more time.

Suikama
40MB? Why do you always have ridiculous file sizes for your entries?
*Judge is playing. Please wait warmly*
...What the hell just happened? Musically timed lasers... Well let's just comment on the danmaku design and ignore everything else. :V

You have a lot of generic danmaku being thrown around. Aimed lasers, laser crisscrosses, randomized spawn locations, etc. Pretty much everything is just generic except that it is timed to the music. Not perfectly because my computer never runs Danmakufu at a perfect 60 fps, but I got the idea anyway. If the images didn't make me question your mental state during its creation, I might have considered this a decent entry. But instead if just disturbs me.

Torpedo
First of all, make your zip files contain a folder with everything in it. For a few seconds, I was wondering who named their project folder Graphic and sfx. Second, shooting stuff at the player when the cut in is still on the screen is probably a bad idea. The graphics look nice and the sprite is nicely animated. The background fits the character too obviously. However, the danmaku is boring. It is extremely simple to beat just by running away as fast as you can. There isn't much to say for this attack except that it has pretty nice graphics.

MewKyuu
Oh hey an animated sprite. Your first attack is pure streaming which is pretty boring. Your second one is ALMOST pure streaming. The purple lasers tend to spawn way too close to me sometimes and make it impossible to read where the gaps are. The third attack is utter bullshit with its giant lasers. Unless you played it before, you have no idea where the giant lasers will spawn. Even when you do remember where to move, the giant lasers cover the smaller ones and makes it way too hard to see where to dodge.

Patrick Alexander
Hmmm, the danmaku is pretty generic. It also feels like that the main body of the attack can be replaced with bullets instead of lasers and it would feel almost exactly the same. The lasers near the end really don't have any point either since most people won't be moving around wildly. Not really your best work.

And now the rankings!

First Place: Iryan
Except for the first attack, the other two attacks are both mathematically impressive from a scripting point of view and fun to play from a player's point of view.

Second Place: Azure
Most graphically impressive entry, but graphics are really icing on the cake. Iryan has two fun spellcards in his entry while this one has one.

Third Place: Nimble
Despite being extremely difficult, the script had very unique ideas. At least it isn't as hard as your Dead Simple entry anyway. :V

Now let's go make that full game in a week contest! :V
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
Yea! Let's make 7 stages (ex included) within a week. !!!!!! Maybe not.

Oh congratulations winners and ranked 2nd / 3rd. I'll leave the thread stickied for 48 hours or so so people can brag and such :V

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Congratulations to Iryan, Azure and Nimble for their winning entries, and a "better luck next time" to all other participants.

I use MarisaA

Fuck yes Marisa, boo Reimu

Now let's go make that full game in a week contest! :V

Do not know if want. Player contest would be ballin'.

I'll have to play all these scripts, only downloaded a few so far. They sound awesome. Props to Blargel for being a beast and hosting his own contest and judging so fast!

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
Oh man, I can't wait to get home so I can play all of these. Congrats to the contestants, and especially the winners! \o/
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
I figured as much; Pong Laser wasn't even finished and I have no clue why I left it in the folder. Danmakufu just isn't for me, I guess.

Congrats to everyone who participated!

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
Well, i knew that my entry wasn't good. I don't really like working with lasers anyway, and even less with lasers only.

AweStriker Nova

• Star Sign "Thunder Constellation"
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
*FACE + PALM* *HEAD + DESK*

GAHHHH...wait.

I figured out the problem. That "person on IRC" (not naming names...)... gave you the non-shot-replace-included version. If you had gotten MF to work properly, that wouldn't have been a problem.

So technically, it's not entirely my fault...

In the future (since Mediafire appears to be bugging up occasionally) so this doesn't happen again, how do I attach files to posts?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:54:00 PM by AweStriker Nova »

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
There was an absolute filepath issue anyway.

It didn't work until I put the replace in the main danmakafu folder.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
Congratulations to Iryan, Azure and Nimble for their winning entries, and a "better luck next time" to all other participants.

I'll have to play all these scripts, only downloaded a few so far. They sound awesome. Props to Blargel for being a beast and hosting his own contest and judging so fast!

Speaking of which Naut, I made this contest 'cause you were bugging me about wanting to join a contest. Where the hell is your entry? I mean...

It's not like I hosted this entire contest just for you! I was just doing this because you were so annoying! I wasn't looking forward to playing your entry or anything! ...Baka! *runs off*

*FACE + PALM* *HEAD + DESK*

GAHHHH...wait.

I figured out the problem. That "person on IRC" (not naming names...)... gave you the non-shot-replace-included version. If you had gotten MF to work properly, that wouldn't have been a problem.

So technically, it's not entirely my fault...

In the future (since Mediafire appears to be bugging up occasionally) so this doesn't happen again, how do I attach files to posts?
I linked the "person on IRC" directly to your mediafire link that you posted latest. It was not his fault. Either you reuploaded the same one by accident or you still messed up somehow. Anyway, to attach a file to a post, you can click on the "Additional Options..." button while posting and some more things will pop up, including a field to attach files.

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
Speaking of which Naut, I made this contest 'cause you were bugging me about wanting to join a contest. Where the hell is your entry? I mean...

;_; I was horribly unmotivated for various reasons :V I'll try and make up for it.

It's not like I hosted this entire contest just for you! I was just doing this because you were so annoying! I wasn't looking forward to playing your entry or anything! ...Baka! *runs off*

uguu

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
Wha-

:toot:

Actually, I totally expected Azure to win.  :V
Congratulations to him (or her? I don't know) and Nimble, and thanks to everyone for making scripts. It was definitely fun to play through them all.  :D
Also props to Blargel for highspeed judging skills!

...you aren't a Yama in disguise, are you?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
Wha-

:toot:

Actually, I totally expected Azure to win.  :V
Congratulations to him (or her? I don't know) and Nimble, and thanks to everyone for making scripts. It was definitely fun to play through them all.  :D
Also props to Blargel for highspeed judging skills!

...you aren't a Yama in disguise, are you?

Well, I was judging mainly by danmaku design. If her second spellcard were as creative and fun as the maze one, she would've won hands down. And of course I'm not a Yama with the ability to judge danmaku quality at a glance and was kicked out of Higan for having too useless of a skill so I spend most of my time just looking and critiquing other people's Danmakufu scripts. Definitely not.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: Danmakufu Contest #4 - Laser Light Show (Results!)
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
Well, I said the first one was my main entry and the second was just for fun. Can't argue with second place, though, considering I did this in less than a week. All the effects (cutins, bullet graphics, text, etc) are taken from my main project, not made specifically for this - I overdo effects, but not that much, heh.
Good to know mine was the prettiest, at least. I guess that counts for something, right?

AweStriker Nova

• Star Sign "Thunder Constellation"
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
There was an absolute filepath issue anyway.

It didn't work until I put the replace in the main danmakafu folder.

Oh, I must have forgot to have done it for one or two of the cards. Did you try running them individually?
I linked the "person on IRC" directly to your mediafire link that you posted latest. It was not his fault. Either you reuploaded the same one by accident or you still messed up somehow. Anyway, to attach a file to a post, you can click on the "Additional Options..." button while posting and some more things will pop up, including a field to attach files.

Why couldn't this person be a girl? It's a distinct possibility. And thank you for that tip...

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
Why couldn't this person be a girl? It's a distinct possibility. And thank you for that tip...

Because we know who he is, Blargel even thanked him specifically in an earlier post. :V

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:51 PM »
If the images didn't make me question your mental state during its creation, I might have considered this a decent entry. But instead if just disturbs me.
hurr :ohdear:

Next contest should be making a script with Musuu no Danmaku :V
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:04:30 PM by Suikama the Robotic Unicorn »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Today, I actually played my entry through! (Along with everyone else's.)
I just wanna say, about the spellcard in my entry, there's a "safespot" like thing where you can just graze the fat lasers, and just tap left/right to avoid the yellow lasers.

EDIT: SUNEO!
EDTI: You forgot to say my entry sucked. :(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:35:16 PM by Always Mew⑨ »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »
There's something about tsundere programmers that's just so hnnngh :<

Remember Azure, danmaku is all about beauty and elegance! Of course it counts for something!
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »
I'll play some tonight If I've got time, Glad to hear my graphics were enjoyed lol.

Admitedly I know what you mean though, I was going left and right to dodge it most of the time but kept thinking "its more fun to try and graze inside the shatters" Maybe I should have figured a way to trap the player. I dunno, I was running out of time and didn't have anymore ideas lol.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »
(continuing my previous post, since I did that one in the five minutes between classes)

If her second spellcard were as creative and fun as the maze one, she would've won hands down.
So by logical extension, if the contest was just a single spellcard instead of a max of 3, I also would have won? Yay! And as for moving around too much and being hard to hit, the trick is to just ignore her and stay in the center. She spends most of the time centered in both scripts, so there's no need to follow her.

I would like to take this time to give thanks to everyone that helped me - especially Raibys who helped with the graphics and gave me support the whole time, Iddyea who lives in my head and came up with the danmaku in the first place, Manaphy who is cute and squishy and blue, and everyone in #danmakufu for helping me with everything I had problems with during the creation process.

(Edit: Iddyea wallpaper, just in case anyone is really obsessed with my scripts or anything)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:36:57 PM by Azure »

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »
Congratulation to Iryan, Azure and ..... =A=!
Gau...

I still can't capture Crisis Decision too. Sometime I get hit by red/green laser in the middle of the card. But most mistake done by yellow-aiming trap me.
Bigger cage much more better ouch*

I sware, if the next contest was danmaku pattern. I'll make it be acceptable in difficulty oTL~

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
you're welcome blargel-sama. Anyway, as the idea was floating around, player character contest? :V :V :V

Nonnie Grey

• Contradictory Statement
  • The Anonymity formerly known as Kayorei
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »
The first thing that I noticed after the custom sprite was that the lasers weren't very pretty looking. Lasers generally look better if you just use the default Danmakufu ones or a sprite sheet specifically made for additive blending.
Huh, not sure what you mean there. The only things that I used that weren't default were the sprite and the cutin.

Anyways, moving on to the danmaku. First attack is a neat idea and pretty well executed. However, the 4 lasers that spawn on the boss that rotate seem kinda random and out of place. The second attack caught me off guard. About 5 times. Another nice idea, but it feels more full of cheap shots. At one point, the big laser the boss shot at me blocked off my escape route while one of the yellow lasers fell on me. The third attack is a super cheap shot. The glow effect gives the illusion that you can't go past them without getting killed. Then you realize this isn't true when the lasers rotate into you. When I tried again, I was cheap shotted by the sudden extending of the lasers.

I would never have thought the second one was much of a cheap shot; in fact, I was sure it was the easiest one. I... was actually afraid the third one might have been a bit cheap, but I thought the trick to it was sort of obvious. All this tells me is that I need to get some proper playtesters.

Ah well. Wasn't expecting much of this. It was interesting, either way. Congrats to the winners.