Author Topic: How did you LEARN about Touhou?  (Read 42056 times)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: How did you LEARN about Touhou?
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
How anyone sucks so bad that they die on stage 1 of Imperishable Night on easy I do not know.
I know how you feel man. I tried introducing Touhou to 2 friends of mine. The first said: "All you do is dodge dots. Go play a real game like Starcraft"
The 2nd tried it, died on stage 1 of PCB easy, and gave up, saying that Touhou would give him a 5 second life expectancy. (You know what I mean)

It happens to some people. I have quite a bunch of first-timers die to Stage 1. The fact that i didn't know anything about focus-mode when i started playing might have something to do with it.

About friends. I don't know consider anyone my friend if they bash Touhou games without any valid reasons. That's simply the worst thing about it all. People rarely have any valid arguments. There was this bitch who claimed that the games are just hyper-advanced Space Invaders clones that only perverts play. Yeah sure all the characters are girls but that doesn't mean only perverts can enjoy them. That's actually a pretty bad excuse.

A second thing i'm getting rather used to hear is: "Oh my! It looks sooo haard!!! I don't get how you can dodge all that?"

I could respond that this is just the Stage 4 Boss on Hard mode in PCB. Very trivial so to speak.

But that wouldn't solve much. She wouldn't be able to understand that. And i would probably be labeled as a "show-off" or a "no-life" for considering the "impossible games" easy. I might be able to play well on anything below Lunatic but that's not due to some inherent skills. Its due to having played the games for quite some time now. When i became a Touhou player i did get owned on Easy to begin with as well. The games difficulty are in other words a lousy excuse not to play them. You'll learn the skills to get through Easy mode very quickly without any persistency. I know i did.

Lastly: To say that Starcraft is a real game and Touhou isn't is sinful to say the least. I can accept that not everyone thinks that Touhou is the best game in the world (well, of course) but i hate when people tell you to play real games instead. Now that haven't exactly happened to me. Something similar though. Somebody asked me if i had a Steam account. I replied no. Then he told me that a lot of PC games are working with Steam. Then i told him that the games i play isn't browsed through Steam. And then he told me that most "real" games do.

At that point i was pretty much ready to snap. If people can't accept my fandom, they can't expect me to accept theirs. It would be the same if i said: "Starcraft, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty and Halo sucks! People should play some real games instead!"

Okay, i better cut this rant a little short if i'm to avoid going on for the entire day.

I can't agree more. I hate how some people can only play a game if it's "in" and has awesome graphics.

I think everyone should find this interesting: The Top 7 Stereotypical gamers we hate.

Drake

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2009, 06:51:15 PM »
Their descriptions are the greatest.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2009, 02:27:25 AM »
Saw some random Youtube vid showing (i think) MoF, and was like "OH SHIT THIS LOOKS FUN" and I googled around till I could find a download of it.

Got to like MoF Stage 4 on Easy on my second try.

Still I'm pretty new, can only beat the games on Normal.

p.s. Starcraft is manly. WOONGJIN STARS 4 LYFE

p.p.s. Call of Duty went downhill after 2. Call of Duty 3 was console only; nuff' said. Call of Duty 4 had good Singleplayer, but the Multiplayer was HORRIBLE (lolsup I can kill you by shooting you twice in the foot with my perfectly accurate assault rifle with no recoil).

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »
I remember finding the demo for EoSD about when it was released 7 years ago. I didn't actually know what Touhou was before much later though.

And at that time all I knew about the game was that it has harder than concrete and had some of the most awesome music. =P
Also it was really fun. And now I'm on a great quest to obtain all Touhou games. xD lol
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
I found out about the game on shmups.com, when Katchura (the original creator and owner of shrinemaiden.com, going under the name of Seraphim on shmups.com)  started talking about it.  I signed up into the original boards when there were about 10 active members and we were lucky to get a post every few days.  The IRC chat usually had 3 active members in it, no admins or anything.  It was usually this guy MARGATROID, who rarely said something, katchura, leviathean, pickie, or I in there.  Ahh the good old days of making Hetdegon rage for being a mystia fan....... 

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
How anyone sucks so bad that they die on stage 1 of Imperishable Night on easy I do not know.
I know how you feel man. I tried introducing Touhou to 2 friends of mine. The first said: "All you do is dodge dots. Go play a real game like Starcraft"
The 2nd tried it, died on stage 1 of PCB easy, and gave up, saying that Touhou would give him a 5 second life expectancy. (You know what I mean)

It happens to some people. I have quite a bunch of first-timers die to Stage 1. The fact that i didn't know anything about focus-mode when i started playing might have something to do with it.

About friends. I don't know consider anyone my friend if they bash Touhou games without any valid reasons. That's simply the worst thing about it all. People rarely have any valid arguments. There was this bitch who claimed that the games are just hyper-advanced Space Invaders clones that only perverts play. Yeah sure all the characters are girls but that doesn't mean only perverts can enjoy them. That's actually a pretty bad excuse.

A second thing i'm getting rather used to hear is: "Oh my! It looks sooo haard!!! I don't get how you can dodge all that?"

I could respond that this is just the Stage 4 Boss on Hard mode in PCB. Very trivial so to speak.

But that wouldn't solve much. She wouldn't be able to understand that. And i would probably be labeled as a "show-off" or a "no-life" for considering the "impossible games" easy. I might be able to play well on anything below Lunatic but that's not due to some inherent skills. Its due to having played the games for quite some time now. When i became a Touhou player i did get owned on Easy to begin with as well. The games difficulty are in other words a lousy excuse not to play them. You'll learn the skills to get through Easy mode very quickly without any persistency. I know i did.

Lastly: To say that Starcraft is a real game and Touhou isn't is sinful to say the least. I can accept that not everyone thinks that Touhou is the best game in the world (well, of course) but i hate when people tell you to play real games instead. Now that haven't exactly happened to me. Something similar though. Somebody asked me if i had a Steam account. I replied no. Then he told me that a lot of PC games are working with Steam. Then i told him that the games i play isn't browsed through Steam. And then he told me that most "real" games do.

At that point i was pretty much ready to snap. If people can't accept my fandom, they can't expect me to accept theirs. It would be the same if i said: "Starcraft, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty and Halo sucks! People should play some real games instead!"

Okay, i better cut this rant a little short if i'm to avoid going on for the entire day.

I know just how you feel when that girl called Touhou a hyped-up space invaders. A girl in my class (otaku) actually knew about Touhou before I talked about it... she said the game was insane and called me a nerd for playing it....
I never really played video games before I found out about Touhou. Games bored me and I gave up on them halfway. I have about 7 or 8 games for my GBA and I haven't touched them after the first time I played them-it was my brother who actually beat them. I remember getting a CycloDS for my NDS-lite, feeling so happy that I could play games like Contra 4, TWEWY, Metal Slug 7, etc and now I only use the NDS for a make-shift Mp3 player to play Touhou music whenever I go out.

P.S. What's really sad about my friend that actually played was the fact that I explained everything to him- Focused movement, bombs, supernatural borders, the point of collection, etc. Hopefully I'll have better luck with showing people Touhou in high school. (probably won't but a man can dream)

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2009, 04:12:53 AM »
I think everyone should find this interesting: The Top 7 Stereotypical gamers we hate.

LMAO! #1 has the best description of /v/ I've ever heard.

mark2000

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
5 words:

Marisa Stole The Precious Thing

Someone I know from another forum gave me a link to the youtube video 3 years ago and one thing simply led to another.

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2009, 07:55:02 AM »
I'm sure Shoot the Bullet was the first game I heard about and Imperishable Night was the first game I played many years ago. Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and that one with Reisen in it also got me started. I didn't even hear U.N. Owen was her? until much later (last year).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:59:27 AM by _Zac_ »

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

I know just how you feel when that girl called Touhou a hyped-up space invaders. A girl in my class (otaku) actually knew about Touhou before I talked about it... she said the game was insane and called me a nerd for playing it....
I never really played video games before I found out about Touhou. Games bored me and I gave up on them halfway. I have about 7 or 8 games for my GBA and I haven't touched them after the first time I played them-it was my brother who actually beat them. I remember getting a CycloDS for my NDS-lite, feeling so happy that I could play games like Contra 4, TWEWY, Metal Slug 7, etc and now I only use the NDS for a make-shift Mp3 player to play Touhou music whenever I go out.

P.S. What's really sad about my friend that actually played was the fact that I explained everything to him- Focused movement, bombs, supernatural borders, the point of collection, etc. Hopefully I'll have better luck with showing people Touhou in high school. (probably won't but a man can dream)

I'm hoping i can create some players when i go to my new school as well. Let's wish each others good luck.

« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
I can't remember the dates, but as a fan of the anime art style, I've been viewing images on 4chan's /a/ and /c/ boards for years now. Very infrequently I used to come across Touhou threads and noted the exceptionally high fanart quality. I think one of the first pieces I ever saw and was stricken by was of Sakuya serving tea in the library to Patchouli, who was writing something in quill. I didn't know their names back then or at least I hadn't committed them to my memory yet. Despite this, Patchouli's image of that as an intellectual had stuck in my head and made her an instant favorite for me, although not knowing much at the time, I made the mistake of thinking Sakuya was Patchy's servant.

Looking into the matter further did me not much good however, as I've been a Macintosh user all my life and may as well be illiterate when it comes to japanese. I've mostly ignored it, with the exception of enjoying those once rare times when a Touhou thread would surface and I would get to see the pretty art. Well, about a month before /jp/ lost any resemblance as to what you might uncertainly call actual japanese culture, I found a thread on the 4chan archive once more exhibiting the wonderful quality of fanstuffs. I ended up making the mistake of spamming all the images into a friend's chat window and telling him what little I knew about the series. After the introduction had been made, I could no longer remain in my quaint general ignorance of the series, as pretty much nonstop I'd keep on hearing about how wonderful the gameplay was and all the character interactions, be linked to various Touhou related videos ect. We've fueled each others addictions since then, though I think at the moment mine is currently stronger. Now even with Boot Camp, I still don't actually play the games, Perfect Cherry Blossom demo aside, as for personal reasons I've had no means of electronic payment.

Funnily enough, shortly after I introduced my friend to it, the Touhou fandom on 4chan seems to have exploded. This is probably due to the nature change of /jp/.

As for the off topic conversation, Golbeze did indeed become a good guy at the end of FF IV. The true orchestrater of events, Zemus, was actually somewhat of a disappointment as he got the least development and screen time of any of the game's villains.

I personally feel that graphics don't have to meet high technological standards or even appear realistic in order to look beautiful. I feel the SNES not only had the best selection of games but perhaps even the best overall aesthetic of any video game system to date.  Sometimes, rarely, the look of a game will detract from the experience for me. However, games like Space Invaders and Pong are proof enough that a game can be great without any bells and whistles at all, if the core gameplay fun enough. Too many people get caught up about one aspect or another about video games to see what really matters: Is it enjoyable? A pleasing appearance is only one aspect of the palatability of a video game and I too feel that it is the most overrated one.

P.S: Hi everybody. I'm new, obviously.

Djinova

• One ghost's meat is another tree's poison
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
I found out about the game on shmups.com, when Katchura (the original creator and owner of shrinemaiden.com, going under the name of Seraphim on shmups.com)  started talking about it.  I signed up into the original boards when there were about 10 active members and we were lucky to get a post every few days.  The IRC chat usually had 3 active members in it, no admins or anything.  It was usually this guy MARGATROID, who rarely said something, katchura, leviathean, pickie, or I in there.  Ahh the good old days of making Hetdegon rage for being a mystia fan.......
Oh god, you must be a fossil. I didn't know "pickie" was that old.
As for me, I've been introduced to Touhou in late 2004. My first experience was the PCB demo. I died on Stage 3, but it was awesome. I still consider Alice's danmaku to be the most refined out of all Stage 3 bosses. Nowadays I'm more on lurking mode, but I am still very fond and watching eagerly its development. Actually, I just recently finished what's translated about CoLA and thought it was great.
About the current discussion, "graphics" is just a feature like anything else and different people have different affinities towards certain features. Don't hate them if they prioritize certain things, but naturally it is a mistake if they lean to heavy towards it (just like anything) and ignore everything else.
I'd be more careful if you want to introduce people to Touhou. Is it necessary that they should feel the same as you did? Is it even possible given their inclinations? Is Touhou really better than what they have? If some people made a really stupid remark about Touhou, maybe it's because you did something you shouldn't have (maybe).

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2009, 05:38:32 PM »
I was watching ddp doj videos on the tubes (intentionally, from a superplay link or something). That lead to Mushihimesama, which somehow lead to a laggy Cho Ren Sha video, which somehow lead to a tate'd Triggerheart Exelica video (one of two that existed at the time).

Then I finally stumbled upon Dracil's infamous IN Extra replay from there. The aesthetics and music quickly drew me in, and I spent the next month scouring for a demo. It was nice to be able to pursue a game that wasn't PCB only, and that I could actually try before buying.

Tru fax

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »
i've only ever played RPG games in my life. i have friends who play shmups but i never liked the whole war themes.
then one day i watched a mushihimesama video on youtube and loved it because it wasn't about WWII or futuristic or whatever and decided to download the iso to play... got hooked on it and even got to the TLB once on Arrange mode... Then i got bored of it...

So I looked for another shmup and found out about Touhou. I first played IN but I don't remember why I didn't play much. I think my gamepad had just broken... Over a year later I was bored at work and found a link to download all the games so I dowloaded them and started playing MoF because I had just gotten bored of Dragon Quest 8... That's been about a month ago and I still can't beat Kanako on Normal :(
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube