Author Topic: How did you LEARN about Touhou?  (Read 42068 times)

Gpop

Re: How did you LEARN about Touhou?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
I actually got into Touhou BEFORE Mcroll'd was spawned into this world by almost exactly a month (11/30/07 was the date I first played Touhou), so I'm fortunate enough to see Mcroll'd as U.N Owen instead of the other way around.

Oh hey there fellow discoverer. I found and played the game around that time as well :P

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
I remember when I finally got around to downloading one of the games, I had many choices, but wanted to get the latest one - this being August 2007, I went with Mountain of Faith. To this day that game always has a special place in my heart. Sometimes, just for fun, I'll open Stage 4 in Practice Start because of how pretty it is.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »
How can a game, that ruined 90% of people's lives, be called profit?
Touhou got me off of playing WoW, I owe my life to it.

A danmaku-fan friend of mine introduced me to it years ago, before the whole Overdrive thing exploded.  But I've only been really into it for the last two years or so.

Yukkuri

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »
I think that I saw Dracil's replay of In extra stage.  I then researched it, and finally found where I could get the games.

How I found this place I was reading some fanfic on touhou wiki and I tried finding the original source, and I found this place.

Desert

• Teehee!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 11:32:07 PM »
Around the time I started using Youtube, I searched for a game called Daigasso! Band Brothers for the DS. After hearing several videos, I looked at the related videos, and stumbled upon this. Though at the time, I thought it was just something original. A bit after that, I found a video called Nico Nico Douga Medley, and really like most of the music in there. So I favorited that, but really didn't bother to find out where the songs came from.

It wasn't until I saw another Nico Nico Douga Medley video that I actually wanted to figure out where the music was from, particularly that "Help Me, Eirin!" So I did what I always do when I want to ask a question on Youtube. Look around the comments to see if someone already asked it. Sure enough, someone had asked that, and I found out it originated from "A doujinshi called Touhou." When I saw that I was wondering how a manga could have music, because I seriously thought that doujinshi was a term used for fanmanga, and nothing else.

Shortly after that, LuizPrower posted this video, which is when I found out that it was a game (immediately followed by me trying to find out exactly what doujinshi was). So I tried to find out how to get the games, but decided againts it due to not actually owning a computer (shared family computer back then). By the time I actually obtained a laptop, I had forgotten about Touhou. That is, until I saw a video of the UFO demo. Decided to get the demo, and from there on, I've been playing Touhou.

On an extra note, I managed to 1cc Normal MoF within a month, shortly followed by EoSD, PCB. Though ever since my gamepad broke, I haven't really tried to 1cc anything.
Yup, still lurking.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:17 AM »
I actually got into Touhou BEFORE Mcroll'd was spawned into this world by almost exactly a month (11/30/07 was the date I first played Touhou), so I'm fortunate enough to see Mcroll'd as U.N Owen instead of the other way around.
I KNEW the song before then, but I didn't know what it was from. :| I called the McRoll song a mix of UNknown Girl (which was the remix of UN Owen by dBu on FFR)

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
About a year ago. Don't remember the exact day. Me and a friend watched a lot of videos about the Touhou games because the music was awesome and watching skilled players play the games was somewhat fun. I got bored with it though and decided to try and play the games myself so i went and fetched Imperishable Night off of somewhere and started playing. I sucked to a legendary state and today i don't why i couldn't clear Easy mode in 1st attempt starting with 7 lives.

I don't recall how fast i made it beyond the suckiness but i wasted a lot of time playing easy stuff. A lot of time wasted on Normal mode too. I should just have moved on when i could comfortably clear the difficulty but whatever. I want to play forever and i have no reason why i would want to rush it. I'll clear Lunatic when it happens. Be it in three months or in 3 years. I don't really care.

dustyjo

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »
I think it was from McRoll'd.

I heard the music and was curious about what Touhou was, and when I saw it I was like WOW THIS LOOKS AWESOME

The rest is history.

Sean

• The Disturbed Leader of Four Against Nature
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
I would probably say my first exposure to Touhou was....roughly a year and a half (or more) before I actually took any interest in it. When I first discovered it, I did a bit of research and wound up saying. "Oh wow, there's no way I'm playing this. Only a complete gaming masochist could find this fun."

....of course, 1.5 years later, here we are. I continued to see various things on the internet related to Touhou and said "Okay, I might as well look into these games...what have I got to lose?" ....the speed at which it hooked me in frightens me, to be perfectly honest. Does it do that to everybody?
This Signature only existed in my mind.

Mizuki-chan

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
....the speed at which it hooked me in frightens me, to be perfectly honest. Does it do that to everybody?
The moment I saw Touhou I fell in love with the game. I now have an obsession that I truly enjoy. 

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
First, an encounter with FOEs
Then I looked up more IOSYS music and "Touhou Project" was first noted
But, I paid it no heed.
Yet I kept hearing about it, so I was like
"Okay, someone link me to these games"

...And that's what happened.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:47 AM »
I would probably say my first exposure to Touhou was....roughly a year and a half (or more) before I actually took any interest in it. When I first discovered it, I did a bit of research and wound up saying. "Oh wow, there's no way I'm playing this. Only a complete gaming masochist could find this fun."

....of course, 1.5 years later, here we are. I continued to see various things on the internet related to Touhou and said "Okay, I might as well look into these games...what have I got to lose?" ....the speed at which it hooked me in frightens me, to be perfectly honest. Does it do that to everybody?

I'm pretty hooked and I've only been playing it for a few weeks now. I was just as hooked by day 2 as I am now though.

Omnifish

• One Fish To Rule Them All
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »
I found out about Touhou via the Crowning Music of Awesome page on TV Tropes, sometime last September.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »
I posted this in the old forums, too, so...

- Found picture of Yukari's second-to-last spellcard in Phantasm in a German video games magazine
- searched on Youtube and Google
- started with IN, then PCB, finally found DS and downloaded every Touhou available

Quintafeira12

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »
My girlfriend said she was playing a game.

So I went to her computer, searched up the game Perfect Cherry Blossom, and rather than playing it first, I read the translated "manual" file there. I was captivated. That had nothing to do with flowers, like I thought, it was about killing Eastern man eating mosters, in their own home world.

Pretty weird way to start a touhou game the first time: knowing the plot...

*picks Marisa* *loses* *loses* *MASTAH SPARK* oh, aweso- *loses* - crap...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:21:12 AM by Quintafeira12 »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
First, an encounter with FOEs
Then I looked up more IOSYS music and "Touhou Project" was first noted
But, I paid it no heed.
Yet I kept hearing about it, so I was like
"Okay, someone link me to these games"

...And that's what happened.
SAITAMA! SAITAMA! F O E!
EIRIN! EIRIN! F O E!
GOSSUN! GOSSUN! F O E!
DOUMAN! SEIMAN! F O E!!

It also doesn't help that every time I get to Chen on Hard, I always chant "Douman Seiman F O E!"  And as someone who's played a lot of both Touhou and Etrian Odyssey, the concept of Chen the FOE is...truly...frightening.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
this, then this, then this

Wow... that's exactly the same videos that led me into Touhou. Creepy.

To give a bit more of a full story though...

I was addicted to this game by the name of osu! It was like EBA but more fun with less annoying songs. It was fantastic. I was playing around on Multiplayer and the host decided to pick the Ronald U.N. Owen. Instantly queue the "wtf" from me as I play the map (and fail miserably). I wondered what the crap it was.

Well, it wasn't until a few days later that I actually began investigating. I was bored and wasn't in much of an osu mood. So I decided to look up the Ronald McDonald song to see how people reacted to it, where I figured out there was actually a video for it.

I figured out from reading through comments that it was actually a remix to a song called "U.N. Owen Was Her?". I looked it up and found the original song and thought it was amazingly addictive. I really wanted to know what game it was from and saw a video response down below of a game. I clicked and was amazed as the insanity I saw, EoSD Extra. My first thought was "Oh hell, I could never do that. That's just too insane". That was that for a few days, but as it sank in I finally decided that I had to try this crazy game.

Which is when my first touhou game became Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. I played on easy and got a game over on Patchcouli, using up all three continues. It was amazingly addictive though.

And that's how I came to know Touhou.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 12:31:19 AM »
I found out through Touhou hijacks and Touhou Seimoe threads on /a/. (This was when there were about 50 to 100 Touhou videos in total on Youtube, so at least I didn't find out about it through IOSYS. I didn't know about that until I went to Walfas.) Although I did see some kid playing an STG with lolis on his laptop in 2004, it could have been Touhou.

First Touhou video.

First image I saved.

I posted on /jp/ for a while until it was clear to me that the board couldn't be saved from itself. I found the Touhou Imageboard through Wakachan.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
My girlfriend said she was playing a game.

So I went to her computer, searched up the game Perfect Cherry Blossom, and rather than playing it first, I read the translated "manual" file there. I was captivated. That had nothing to do with flowers, like I thought, it was about killing Eastern man eating mosters, in their own home world.

Pretty weird way to start a touhou game the first time: knowing the plot...

*picks Marisa* *loses* *loses* *MASTAH SPARK* oh, aweso- *loses* - crap...

WTB girlfriend who is into touhou.. no.. wtb any friend into touhou >=P. All my friends only play games that are trendy or popular. wahh.

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:32 AM »
WTB girlfriend who is into touhou.. no.. wtb any friend into touhou >=P. All my friends only play games that are trendy or popular. wahh.

Finding any woman down here who likes touhou would be like finding a 3 in binary code.
I'm in the same boat mate.

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 02:56:59 AM »
The short story is that I got into Touhou via shitty IOSYS flash videos and curiosity. Hate me if you please :)

Nuclear Fusion