Author Topic: Where would you be without Touhou  (Read 21126 times)

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
Re: Where would you be without Touhou
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 04:11:40 AM »
I would have zero inspiration to do anything at all, and I likely wouldn't have spent 200 dollars on any game series but Touhou. That's what I did though.  :-\

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 04:21:25 AM »
Without Touhou, I'd be music illiterate. ZUN's music is what pulled me into studying music.

Studying music is one of the best thing I've ever encountered. So, logically, Touhou is one of the best thing I've ever encountered.

Touhou also got me into back into shmups (Ikaruga pulled me in first, but it didn't last long), then into arcade games in general.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
I'd be less calmer, unable to focus on things, and because of that I'd have been unable to pass my final exam thanks to the lack of focus, so my life would be trash. And I won't have any friends, and I'd have probably succumbed to that manic, self-loathing pessimist depressed person I was 3 years ago. My optimism and personality change isn't caused by Touhou, but I already lost my interest in that thing what caused it.

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
outside

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
Writing fiction would be harder, and I probably wouldn't be gaming at all.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
Writing fiction would be harder, and I probably wouldn't be gaming at all.

You also would have never eaten the Gwahaha, so it might have evened out. :<
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
I would have a lot fewer videos favorited on Youtube, and fewer sites I go to on a regular basis, as well as having fewer freeware games. I'd still be spending a great deal of time on the internet, though.

Matsuri

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:28 AM »
I'd probably just be playing CAVE shmups like I do now, I guess.

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 05:11:25 AM »
I would be dea- er...

Just kidding, I'd be listening to game addicts argue with each other and scream "some unkind words" in a middle of a PS3 game...   =.=

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 06:33:43 AM »
Probably obsessed with some other video game. I mean, I went through Sonic, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Guilty Gear ... I'll be fixated on something else within another few years, most likely.

This seems rather realistic. I mean after all, off the clock people spend time with what they want to spend time with. For this reason, since everybody here pretty much made the choice to spend that time with a video game series to begin with, I don't see why anybody why anybody would think they'd spend time doing something else more productive instead. Would it really make any difference in the decision which game it was, so long as that game was fun?

Possibly but it's doubtful. The only way I really see one doing otherwise is if Touhou was just such a great game that it's more or less the only one they consider worth playing. I'm not sure if for many who that could be the case for if they'd even try it to begin with though, since they'd probably be predisposed to lump it under the "its a video game so it sucks like all the others" category. To me, the Touhou only ideology really does seem like more of an opinion that'd form in a diehard fan after the fact, as opposed to being their driving cause for picking the series for that reason, in which case Touhou must already be assumed.

As for me, most of the other sites I've joined seem to be Final Fantasy centric, so I'd probably be spending more time with that. I do have quite a taste for Mario though so maybe I'd have shifted more into that direction. The only thing I could say for certain is that there'd probably a much larger void in my hard drive than there is now, since I'd first found out about the series mostly due to the fan community's artistic abilities. The quality fanart ratio seems to be much worse for other series. Perhaps if Touhou didn't exist at all the great artists involved would've spent their time with another series or perhaps even working professionally on something original, which very well could've influenced what I'd be into instead at this very moment. Contrary to the prior paragraph above, I suppose this is a rather realistic way that one could be doing something entirely different. Although in the end for most cases the difference would still probably be quite minimal, as obsession for one series

Now where would I be without video games in general? Now that I find an interesting question, although it's also one that's probably best left to the heavens to decide. You see, they'd entered my life at such a decisive stage in my life, that I could theoretically be an entirely different type of person without their influence. Things would likely be a lot more boring though in any case, as I certainly feel like I require something to keep my mind from atrophying. With that thought, I'd like to say perhaps I'd be a bit more like Sherlock Holmes, although that'd be mighty presumptuous of me to assume. Perhaps I'd be more artistically inclined? As I've mentioned above, I got into Touhou due to the impressive the art the community generated after-all and I'd have had more time to develop that. Nah, I can't really keep a steady enough hand for that. Possibly authoring stuff, since I like to write posts on the internet quite a lot, although that's mostly due to the fact that so few of my live friends don't share so many of my video game and anime related interests. So, I dunno really.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »
my lifestyle of ultimate healthiness would probably fall off a few ranks, consider Touhou music is basically my life here and all.

I imagine my H materials folder would have a whole lot less pretty pictures (50 gbs and counting)

my life would have been a significant difference, without meeting as many online friends who share the same passion, and less raging, and most of all...

up till last year, when I decide to start drawing again because of my friends here, would have never happened.

how life would have been quite meaningless, if not mundane had not Touhou paved the way for the other things to fall in line.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »
It's kind of interesting now that I think about. Despite Touhou being one of my "phases", it seems that each phase in general kind of comes along at a semi-appropriate time in my life.

When I was getting into Pokemon, I was learning how to make web pages, so Pokemon encouraged me to learn HTML.

When I was getting into music games, I was starting to really discover new kinds of music, and that encouraged me more to learn new songs.

When I moved to Japan and started to study Japanese, Touhou is encouraging me to learn and apply it, not to mention a few other things too.

So while I'd probably find another thing to whet my translation skills on more than likely, it just happened to come along at the right time.

AM

• You just ate!
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »
I'd be playing tyrion, mushihime-sama or samidare like I used to, but my hard drive would have couple of gigabytes less pictures.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
I'd be straight :V

I'd have no freinds and kill myself.
Wotters gonna' wot

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
Definitely would have a lot less things to draw inspiration from.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
... Would be spending less duration of internet, a little more on programming & coding stuff, and some more IRL playing console games.

Still must be rarely playing Trickster Online and sometimes visiting the forums to post its Login Screen updates.

Will not love Darius Gaiden and less for other shmups, music, as much as I do now.

... probably alot more that are less positive than what it is now... but eh how should I think of it, it's another dimension or something ._.
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
Somewhere with half the tracks I currently have on my iPod

Minxix

• boring irish person
  • lives in a shed
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »
I would be overweight because before I found touhou, I used to sit down all day doing naught but eating/pokaymanz.

couldn't concentrate on listening to touhou/animu music while sitting down, so I started taking multiple walks a day with my iPod.

something like that.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
I wouldn't like fancy headgear as much as I do now. That's about it. :P

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 08:56:30 PM »
Happy.

Toasty

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Happy.
outside

Ignore my last post. I would have lost interest in that stuff. I'd say these two quotes give a much better overall description.

Mitsuhana

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »
Without Touhou I'd have one less hat and three less plushies. I also wouldn't be annoyed when my only Hisotensoku partner moves to Ecuador and can't play anymore.  :'(

It's not healthy to have only 3 touhou loving friends, worse when only 1 of the 3 will play 12.3  >:(. So without Touhou I would be less bored???? What?

Gpop

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
Finding content to step.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 02:04:13 AM »
I wouldn't have as much awesome music to listen to, then again, maybe Gust would get more attention, I wouldn't have gone to Gensokyo (As in, the Touhou RP named that <_< ) and met Schala, the person who has filled me with more unspeakable rage than anyone else in my life... I would never have discovered MoTK, or found Stuffman's D&D group... I probably wouldn't be getting along with Ebon as I am now, if I even would still be talking with him...

So yeah, things would be extremely different. Its... Surprising, how much impact it has had, when I think about it.

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 02:06:04 AM »
I'd probably still be attracted to real girls.

non-lolicon Ange fan

• Leave your jokes to your hair.
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 03:42:08 AM »
-I'd have a much smaller video game music folder.

-I'd have fewer wallpapers. (non-H wallpapers, thank-you-very-much)

-I'd have fewer fanfictions to my credit. Consequently, I'd be less interested in writing fanfics.

-I wouldn't list Youmu as one of my favorite female game characters.

-When listing what I think are the "hottest' video game chicks, Kaguya would be absent from the list.

-There would be fewer bookmarks in my web browser.

Other than that, I'd be pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:44:09 AM by xm0123 »

Gpop

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 03:54:14 AM »
Oh yeah,  I wonder how I would be without discovering Koishi...

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:37 AM »
Er, probably in a similar place? I think I'd get a lot of my time back though. Also I'd care about video game music less.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 04:17:35 AM »
I'd still be getting my ass handed to me in Smash, because I'm a stubborn bastard that can't realize how bad he is at fighting games.

Oh, and my desktop background would still be Ice Climbers themed.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.