Author Topic: Where would you be without Touhou  (Read 21118 times)

Where would you be without Touhou
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
I've pondered about this for a while and I figured "why not ask everyone else?" So if there was no such thing as Touhou, what do you think would have happened to you?

If there was no Touhou, I would probably be a straight A student because I wouldn't be up all night trying to capture that one card.

So if there was no such thing as Touhou, what do you think would have happened to you?

Re: Where would you be without Touhou
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
I would be spending nights upon nights coding random applications out of sheer boredom.  My i-pod would also be freakin' empty.

My wallet would be a bit healthier though.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »
I would have a lot less songs to listen to, I would concentrate more on my home work and get finished earlier, but I'd also be bored out of my mind on the internet and unable to think up funny stories.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
Probably less immersed into internet/animu culture, and more into Nintendo like I used to be.

My grades would probably be better too >_>"

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Surprisingly enough, I don't think I'll be that far off from what I am now.

Its just that I'd be much boarder then I am now (No "interesting" games to play, no eccentric music to listen to, hell not much stuff to watch on internet other than anime.) and I would be off trying to look for interesting anime and games.

I also think I will be a lot worse in drawing and programing then I am already, since Touhou was the reason I put some effort in to those stuff. (I even tried learning C++ since I wanted to make Yugi in MUGEN and practiced to draw sprites.  ...Only to stop a few thousand sprites short. OTL)

But yes this is an interesting question we must ask ourselves once in a while. :)

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
still residing on a MMO forum, where 90% of the posters are going through their "rAnDoMbB!!!!! xD xD xDDDDD" phase.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »

I also think I will be a lot worse in drawing

Same here. Started putting more effort in boosting my drawing skills thanks to Touhou.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
less filled with UNSPEAKABLE RAGE

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Bananamatic

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »
my keyboard would be still in one piece

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I probably wouldn't be into shmups. While Touhou wasn't how I rediscovered the genre, it's what kept me staying with it until I felt the need to branch out.

Other than that, it hasn't really changed me. I probably would have found another interest to soak up the time that Touhou/shmups have instead.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:08 PM »
I would still be searching for a series that truly satisfies me in every way, probably still stewing around in the same old games, and would be even more anti-social than I am now.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 11:42:26 PM »
I would probably be part bookish nerd, part athlete, part photographer/reporter and community volunteer with much less writing skill and less life experiences to draw on.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
I'd be able to relate to more people and not have even other anime fans I know shun my interest  :V

But then without touhou I wouldnt have all this awesome music, and maybe the creative stage im in now and my interest in learning the piano (which I'm planning to meet music society wednesday to get an access card for the practice rooms) might not have happened.

Weird as it is, I feel the cult of Touhou has enriched me.

Drake

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:03:39 AM »
i would be here

I mean I'm still there, but eh

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bananamatic

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »
i would be here

I mean I'm still there, but eh
I also used to go there
unfortunately namco hates PAL and the symphonia board kind of died

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
If Touhou wasn't around, My music collection would be much smaller at least

Toasty

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 01:37:36 AM »
Boktai, Bleach, and popular anime lameness.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 01:39:08 AM »
not here

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 01:44:57 AM »
Wouldn't have an iPod.

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »
not here
Dammit you beat me to it.

I'd spam up the internet. A lot. I'd be less into shmups definitely. And my sister would complain that I'm watching too much TV instead of sitting around in front of a computer.

Formless God

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »
I would be studying in Singapore :<

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:55:22 AM »
Probably obsessed with some other video game. I mean, I went through Sonic, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Guilty Gear ... I'll be fixated on something else within another few years, most likely.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
I'd have a lot less friends. :(
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
Probably obsessed with some other video game. I mean, I went through Sonic, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Guilty Gear ... I'll be fixated on something else within another few years, most likely.

Noooo don't leave me I need a fellow 'sane-Alice' fan

A sane Alice-fan would be nice too

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00:50 AM »
I would have less interest in piano, my manga ideas would be a lot more original, and I'd be more into Kingdom Hearts, whilst still being a mature/sane fan of it, as I am with it now and with Touhou.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 02:36:43 AM »
I'd be Playing Super Smash Brothers Barwl and competitive Pokeymanz.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 02:54:08 AM »
Because of Touhou, my PS2 and 360 are collecting dust. Other than that, yeah, not too much change.

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 02:56:26 AM »
Short answer: COD MW2 and HD graphics!!!!!! Yeah, I'll probably be playing another round of mainstream games again.

Long answer:

- I'll never have got into shmups in the first place.
- Without knowing the forums, I still will be clueless about one man projects and doujin games.
- Also I will have never discovered other games like Osu! as well.
- There are a few more, but I'll leave it at that.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 03:50:03 AM »
- I wouldn't have known IaMP, which was how I accidentally got into the fandom ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySaJa0-5o8 , if you remember me saying how I was searching for the "Ode to the 2-hit Combo" video )
- I wouldn't have gotten to challenge myself after seeing Dracil's IN Extra replay, and have acquired (at least not through Touhou) taste for shmups, and realization that the genre's not poorly designed, being actually possible to 1cc. Also, Touhou made me want to look for other shmups for comparisons, and that led me to discover the joy of scoring mechanics. (ironically, I'm bad at scoring in most Touhou games)
- very likely I wouldn't have brought myself to participate in the 2009 STG Tournament held in the shmups.org forums, since I wouldn't have developed shmup abilities (abilities? More like some ability, and lots of re-runs), and would be too afraid of hurting my team, with a bad performance. It turned out that the tournament was VERY fun, and I look forward for the next one!
- I wouldn't have gotten to meet one of my favorite characters ever. (see my avatar :p)
- wouldn't have met some nice people and respectable players here, and in the imageboard (I've started using #shrinemaiden last..)
- wouldn't have stopped playing MMORPGs as a hobby (more like social compromise, due to War of Emperiums and item hunting for WoEs, etc..), at least through Touhou
- wouldn't have gotten to play/watch Phantasm Romance (!)
- wouldn't have gotten to know (at least not through Touhou) about doujinsoft, and the amount of fanworks that can come out of events such as Comiket (every, or most aspiring manga artists -- or con-goers -- have heard about fan magazines, but most wouldn't perhaps understand -- I believe I still don't -- how things are, there, for comparison)
- perhaps would've spent more time thinking of my original (non-Touhou) story, however Touhou has helped me with some inspiration :p
- not having known about the amount of existing doujinsoft (not exactly Touhou-related), I would believe that it would be too hard for someone to create a PC game (outside of some independent developer examples found not through Touhou fandom)
- wouldn't have gotten motivation to create an account on nicovideo and pixiv :p
- would perhaps have spent more time trying to draw better (nowadays I rarely practice drawing)
- would've missed a series that have lots of potential for fanworks, due to its oriental atmosphere and characters; I don't remember getting interested in japanese culture like this, if not through Touhou. Also, would've missed the fanworks themselves, such as videos (A Day in Hakurei Shrine, Bad Apple stop motion version, gameplay/match videos, etc.)

tl;dr: I would've missed lots of stuff, but sometimes would probably change my preferences through something else. Still, i'm glad to be here :D
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 04:07:36 AM »
Probably a bit less active on the internet now. Touhou's also inspired me on a good amount of works I tend to do, without it I would probably be lacking in those places.

But seriously, I'd pretty much be the same, only with less ideas and less time on the internet.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus