Author Topic: ZUN's new UFO interview  (Read 28083 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: ZUN's new UFO interview
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
I'm p. sure that ZUN mentions the whole "Murasa being a species name, not a surname" thing in her theme music description. I know I knew that from *somewhere* before the interview..
No, see again in this link ( with time ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK3k-J-mpuU#t=0m24s

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
No, see again in this link ( with time ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK3k-J-mpuU#t=0m24s

You misunderstood. I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was saying this isn't new information. :V It also states this in her music description.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 05:40:10 PM »
I read it indeed wrong.

This shows ( and even I ) didn't read the music description. Then again, were they translated when the game was out instantly ? I only played UFO to beat Normal then left it because I didn't felt like beating lunatic or hard.

But yea it is kind of confusing also without reading to guess if ZUN using western naming style or eastern.

Yoslime

• Like embarrassing me, huh?
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
Sorry to be kinda too late, but at last the final part is done.

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwtm-z_5PIQ

Now... I can rest... in... peac...e...
Nhu...Nhuhuhuhu......

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »
Awesome. I'll be sure to 5-star/favorite it when I get home.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
You can really tell he cares about the music in this interview. He seemed a bit tight lipped in the first two parts but when asked about the music is really opened up.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
You can really tell he cares about the music in this interview. He seemed a bit tight lipped in the first two parts but when asked about the music is really opened up.

That, or he was talking more freely because of the *BEER*.
-
Thank you, great job!

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
Yeah, listening to some of his answers to the character questions pretty much hammered home that he has a more casual attitude towards them than half the fanbase. I'd love to see someone try and get him into a power level discussion.

I approve of his approval of the Extra stage theme. Byakuren's theme being brilliant we all knew already. 

Yoslime, ilu.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

I approve of his approval of the Extra stage theme. Byakuren's theme being brilliant we all knew already. 

I'm saying this with a straight face, and I mean it with all my heart: I don't see what's so special about Emotional Skyscraper.
I think it's by far the most boring of the Touhou songs till know. I'm listening to it at this moment, and listened through it several times already, to try and make me like it afterall, but no results. It just doesn't spark. And it confuses me even more that people praise Emotional Skyscraper like the song of the Gods, while claiming Necrofantasia sucks. Seriously, I don't understand this. Too me, Necrofantasia is quite possily still the very best Touhou song, being epic, climatic and beautiful, and fit for the mightiest being of Gensokyo.

While most of the time a remix can make me like a song more, all remixes of Emotional Skyscraper still do nothing to me. It just doesn't have a decent climax! It's way too calm, even for Touhou song standards, and quite repetitive. It never reaches a moment of excitement, unlike almost every other song in the series! Every other final boss song in the series has a climax, a moment that describes an epic battle! You can HEAR and IMAGINE the characters fighting! This is not the case with Emotional Skyscraper... And that's why I don't like it, and like Septette, Onigashima, Lunatic Princess and especially Necrofantasia way more.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:46:32 PM by OkashiiNaito »

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
I like Cosmic Mind because I think it sounds heroic while at the same time relaxing

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
I'm saying this with a straight face, and I mean it with all my heart: I don't see what's so special about Emotional Skyscraper.
I think it's by far the most boring of the Touhou songs till know. I'm listening to it at this moment, and listened through it several times already, to try and make me like it afterall, but no results. It just doesn't spark. And it confuses me even more that people praise Emotional Skyscraper like the song of the Gods, while claiming Necrofantasia sucks. Seriously, I don't understand this. Too me, Necrofantasia is quite possily still the very best Touhou song, being epic, climatic and beautiful, and fit for the mightiest being of Gensokyo.

While most of the time a remix can make me like a song more, all remixes of Emotional Skyscraper still do nothing to me. It just doesn't have a decent climax! It's way too calm, even for Touhou song standards, and quite repetitive. It never reaches a moment of excitement, unlike almost every other song in the series! Every other final boss song in the series has a climax, a moment that describes an epic battle! You can HEAR and IMAGINE the characters fighting! This is not the case with Emotional Skyscraper... And that's why I don't like it, and like Septette, Onigashima, Lunatic Princess and especially Necrofantasia way more.

imho the song (Byakuren's theme) goes well with the character and boss fight; her patterns are memorable, like Kanako's. When I hear this bgm, I remember her patterns, how some of them reference Shinki's, how unusual was for a final boss to move around the screen during a nonspell, and how impressive (or imposing) she looks like, when the 4 lotuses appear beside her. Perhaps you're giving the song too much attention, when you're (possibly, if ZUN has foreseen this) supposed to be too focused on dodging and listening to the sound effects as well.

And imho, I can't understand why some/many people like Yuyuko's stage and boss bgm (and/or her patterns), at least when Youmu isn't on it as a midboss :p

Anyways, for the interview itself, it's interesting to hear that he makes the first stage as a test to see if the game system works as a game (and motivates him to work on further stages), and that he gave special attention to the 1st stage bgm, since he would listen to it often while testing the stage (this reminds me of how people sometimes start sketching something, and then work on that sketch if they like it enough, until it becomes a finished drawing -- however, this comparison may sound as if the drawer decides to continue drawing a body, after being happy with detailing the head, instead of being happy after sketching the body itself :p). Thank you very much, yoslime, for translating all the parts! Nice job!
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 01:01:41 AM »
The whole point of Byakuren's theme is that there are no combative tones in it at all. Even when it gets intense, it's an intense positive tone. She stands in complete contrast to all of the player's battles thus far, even back before UFO, because she's done absolutely nothing bad to anger the player characters, who have fallen into the habit of youkai extermination for the sake of youkai extermination. If anything, she's the one who is right in saying that youkai should be treated fairly if they have good intentions (even though they aren't "enslaved").

Anyways, I'm glad that ZUN decided against a male final boss, since Byakuren really is an interesting character IMO. And I laughed at ZUN not really having much idea about his character backstories/origins/species.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:18 AM »
I felt kinda bad for ZUN during the interview, he seemed really uncomfortable the whole time. >:

Just watched the whole thing now, since I made myself not watch it until the whole thing was done. I'm still disappoint about Ichirin, but I love the connection between TRAINS and Kogasa. I do wish they had talked about Byakuren more, I want to know more about her.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:52:19 AM by SenSageUn »

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »
Anyone got a complete transcript anywhere?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2010, 08:09:32 AM »
I felt kinda bad for ZUN during the interview, he seemed really uncomfortable the whole time. >:
You think? He made pretty a lot of criticizing comments about things, people and his game.

What sparked my curiosity ( this is a danmakufu / game maker thing ) is that ZUN keeps motivation thanks to the theme song of the first stage and so on. Also that he builds the system first then continues the actual building and plot of the game. This is 100% like me, as Lemuria for the Flying Drunkard has kept me motivated extremely long during difficult periods of scripting.

I totally respect ZUN style on this case.

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »
I dunno, he didn't come off as too critical to me.

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
The whole point of Byakuren's theme is that there are no combative tones in it at all. Even when it gets intense, it's an intense positive tone. She stands in complete contrast to all of the player's battles thus far, even back before UFO, because she's done absolutely nothing bad to anger the player characters, who have fallen into the habit of youkai extermination for the sake of youkai extermination. If anything, she's the one who is right in saying that youkai should be treated fairly if they have good intentions (even though they aren't "enslaved").

This says what I would have said, but far better than I would have. Cosmic Mind is the only boss music I've ever heard that I feel is cheering me on and wanting me to get to the end of the game, instead of making me nervous about the boss' attacks (which I do regardless, but still...)
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Tengukami

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »
It does fit her personality, but it still sounds like the theme song of a bad 80s mecha anime, or a buddy cop show.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
I don't get the thing why people keep complaining how  Byakuren's theme doesn't sounds bossy/combat style. I don't know about you people but Remilia, Kaguya, Yuyuko, Eiki didn't quite have a combat theme/tune/sound in them either.

Obviously the whole deal with Touhou is making a theme that fits the characters ambition, behaviour combined with the patterns/spellcards they use. And each final girl in the series has it's perfect fitting theme imo.

This is also what kind of makes me sad and cry. People complain about UFO just because they think SA is like the mother of all touhous. Ofcourse each in their own subjective view but complaining is so much easier aint it.

Tengukami

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
Whoa, whoa. Just saying the theme's a little cheesey. I love UFO.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
Whoa, whoa. Just saying the theme's a little cheesey. I love UFO.

You are feeling personally asaulted, that is a shame. I was just making a general post =/

Yoslime

• Like embarrassing me, huh?
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.
It's kinda too late to say, but my subtitles MAY contain wrong/inappropriate translations.
I'm a Japanese and I totally understand what they say in the video, but they talk in spoken language (of course), I had to disassemble the original sentences once and reconstruct them as valid English sentences.
During this process, I had to discard some of their conversations. English = Hard.

By the way, on this interview, what surprised me most is he gets inspiration from his own songs of the past. It's like enlarged reproduction.

I posted a thread in the other section but I don't know if it got the attention of most of you, there was a similar interview with ZUN about the SA characters, you can find that here http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5903008 and here http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6556964

Was that ever translated? Also, thanks for the user doing the UFO translation. It's really nice to see people working on interviews.
Actually, I was being subbed it until I found this thread. It's like 5% done though.
It'll be in reverse order, but is this in demand?

Tengukami

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
My vote's with "yes", if you're up for it.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »
Definite yes, please!