Author Topic: The importance of music  (Read 19620 times)

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
The importance of music
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
It's widely known how good Touhou music is, so good in fact, that many people try it just for it. I did. But I'd like to ask: how does the music of each game impact you, and how much it affects your will to play more of it? I, for instance, find myself playing more and more UFO, despite the fact that the UFO mechanic is the worst scoring gimmick ever and that it's hands down the hardest game in the series, and all of this because the music has everything I ask for in a game: it's upbeat, forceful and (no other word to describe it) joyous. Tell me what you think.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: The importance of music
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
Music is an extemely important aspect in every game for me, and in Touhou it's even more so.
I love playing some of the games simply for the music, and the music also determines which Touhou games (and characters) are my favourites.
The experience of weaving through the bullets to beautiful music is what makes Touhou so special for me.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
In general, I don't find myself paying too much attention to music while playing a game (I got into Touhou/shmups purely for the gameplay, and didn't pay much attention to the music at all until months later). Having said that, it usually sets the mood for me and can pretty much determine whether or not I find something fun regardless of whether I'm actually listening to it or not. I'm pretty confident that having forceful music in shmups while playing them (like Shou's theme, or DDP's soundtrack in general, for example) actually gives me an adrenaline boost and improves my performance. :V
Let's fight.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
Music is 80% of the reason I play the PC-98 games.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Bananamatic

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »
Same as Sapz here - I mostly play for the gameplay, but cool music makes a cool game even cooler.

Still, I prefer the soundtracks from Cave games - it adds to the already fast paced and chaotic gameplay(which you won't find in Touhou :V)

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
Music shows what atmosphere the situation/stage it is

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »
The synch of gameplay and music is a large reason why I didn't just stop at the MoF demo. Oftentimes I play a stage just to listen to this synch.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
I love music in general, so I notice the connection between music and gameplay pretty readily. For me, the music must set the mood to complement the gameplay - it also cannot be generic, lest I may not pay attention to it at all and subsequently lose interest in the stage itself. This is one of the reasons why I really like SA, as the music for ALL stages and bosses easily creates effects suitable for the occasion. For example, Stage 2's theme makes you think you're really in a cave, Orin's theme reflects her joyous nature (never mind how hard her danmaku are), and Utsuho's theme practically screams "final boss". Going to other Touhou games presents a similar scenario - if its music is truly top-notch, I usually find it more fun overall.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
I've spent way too much time with the windows games.  I've listened to all the in-game music so damn much that I often don't even notice it when I'm playing, it just filters right through.  The only GST music of ZUN's that I really actively listen to nowadays is PC-98 and Seihou, simply because those haven't been ruined for me yet.  And occasionally PCB's soundtrack, because even if I've heard it a million times it's still good enough to warrant an occasional listen.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Music is pretty important to me. Hell, the music got me into the games.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »
I probably don't need to mention that each character's theme has a very large part in presenting their personality to me.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
I play for the gameplay really. Having a nice musical score going on helps the overall experience, but I don't need it.

Besides, I listen to the in-game tracks more outside of the game than I do in-game  :P

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 12:01:17 AM »
I probably don't need to mention that each character's theme has a very large part in presenting their personality to me.
Yes, I read your reviews. Many of them heightened my enjoyment of the music.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
Music is pretty important to me. Hell, the music got me into the games.

Pretty much this.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:07:02 AM »
The music serves as a magnifying lens for the enjoyment of the game for me.

The game has a habit of timing music and spellcards together perfectly. The particularly intense music does this really well and is the reason why PCB's extra/phantasm are my favourite stages out of all the games. Intense danmaku meets intense music = amazing fight.

Anyone ever seen yoslime's videos? He likes using the term 'dodge them with elegance', and that summarizes what makes a run perfect for me. Dodging challenging danmaku with grace and flair, as if your loli is being carried about by the majesty of the music itself.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:39 AM »
Music is what got me to notice Touhou so I'll forever enjoy it!
I can still remember that the first tohou music that I heard was PCB stage 4 music ...
Back then I didn't know where it was from but was a total addict to the atmosphere.
I guess for me, it allows me to see the game a different way, and thus so much more enjoyable.

Chen

• Ruined my own appeal by being a dumbass
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »
Music = important to me.
In fact , I love most games because of the music.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:54 AM »
Its fun to sync your movements to the music... and die when you realize the boss doesn't sync hers.
Its like a graceful, elegant and deadly dance of colors.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 04:41:24 AM »
The music is what gets me into the game, especially when fighting a boss.

Basically, with good music you can make even the most torturous of levels seem like fun to play. I'm sure Touhou has plenty of 'Fuck you!' levels but with these said levels comes a good track to balance things out and make the whole thin bearable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:43:29 AM by Neco-Arc Erebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Formless God

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 04:51:21 AM »
I, for instance, find myself playing more and more UFO, despite the fact that the UFO mechanic is the worst scoring gimmick ever and that it's hands down the hardest game in the series, and all of this because the music has everything I ask for in a game: it's upbeat, forceful and (no other word to describe it) joyous.

This. I kept playing UFO for that reason.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 04:52:54 AM »
Music is very important to me in pretty much every game, not just Touhou. Alot of my fave Touhou characters also happen to have my fave music. I wonder if I'd like utusho, or Bykuren if I liked their BGM as much as the other final bosses. I can enjoy a game without enjoying its music, but it definitely has to have quality in both catagories for it to be a favorite of mine.

It actually makes me upset when I hear people say "I play with the music turned off" (not touhou, but any game). I mean...ugh... I know everyone is entitled to their on likes and dislikes, but playing a game without listening to its music is almost like reading every even chapter of a book and skipping the odd ones for no good reason.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 05:11:28 AM »
Basically, with good music you can make even the most torturous of levels seem like fun to play. I'm sure Touhou has plenty of 'Fuck you!' levels but with these said levels comes a good track to balance things out and make the whole thin bearable.
I've definitely seen that effect before. But even when I don't like a level's music that much, I might instead put on a different piece, usually played from Youtube or my own files. Having your own music can make any tedious task seem more enjoyable, Touhou included.

It actually makes me upset when I hear people say "I play with the music turned off" (not touhou, but any game). I mean...ugh... I know everyone is entitled to their on likes and dislikes, but playing a game without listening to its music is almost like reading every even chapter of a book and skipping the odd ones for no good reason.
If someone does listen to a game's soundtrack and doesn't like it, then there's nothing fundamentally wrong with him/her turning it off, especially when he/she can replace it with better music. Example, I play UNL without music. Not that fond of its music to begin with, plus most of it consists of remixes of previous themes anyway, so I'm not really missing out on much.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 05:14:35 AM »
If someone does listen to a game's soundtrack and doesn't like it, then there's nothing fundamentally wrong with him/her turning it off, especially when he/she can replace it with better music. Example, I play UNL without music. Not that fond of its music to begin with, plus most of it consists of remixes of previous themes anyway, so I'm not really missing out on much.

True, I didn't really mean to say people who turn the music off because they don't like it. I know alot of people THAT ALWAYS have the music off for EVERY game.

Many times I'll say "I really like the music for this", and I'll get a  "huh? I haven't heard it, I play without the music".

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 05:17:28 AM »
I will often fail a level because the music is so awesome, or at least find myself severely overpumped by it. Actually, I spazzed out when I found Grimoire of Alice was Alice's 12.3 theme.

Sometimes I play without the music, which in itself is a sin to me, but it's so I can focus on the gameplay, and not the extremely mind-blowing music. Seriously, ZUN may just be one of the greatest when it comes to fitting music to a setting.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »
Seriously, ZUN may just be one of the greatest when it comes to fitting music to a setting.
Yes! for this reason I was really smitten at how all the music from PCB fits together!
Well, all touhou series fit the music together so well, but PCB has been eternalized in me... sorry for being overly excited.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »
Yes! for this reason I was really smitten at how all the music from PCB fits together!
Well, all touhou series fit the music together so well, but PCB has been eternalized in me... sorry for being overly excited.

PCB music is my fave among the series. Pretty much every track is excellent IMO.

Other tracks in other Touhou games DO often fit the setting just like PCB, better in some cases (SA is quite possibly the best in this regard IMO). However I don't like it. I mean how the FUCK do you make a song sound like "nuclear power!"...I never would have thought it possible, but SOMEHOW, he did it with Utusho's theme, but still, I don't like the theme. Nuclear-esque music doesn't suit my tastes I suppose..

The themes and the music in PCB all fit in like blocks for me. I just wish the 'noisy' part of the phantom ensemble wasn't so repetitive. I prefer the quieter parts of their song personally.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 08:56:56 AM »
Other tracks in other Touhou games DO often fit the setting just like PCB, better in some cases (SA is quite possibly the best in this regard IMO).

SA really fitted the theme too but I guess I got raped by Orin too much to notice it as a second choice.

However I don't like it. I mean how the FUCK do you make a song sound like "nuclear power!"...I never would have thought it possible, but SOMEHOW, he did it with Utusho's theme, but still, I don't like the theme.

Aww... did you like songs like Strawberry Crisis! then?
Since I was really excited when I heard Nuclear fusion because it was the awesomeness of Strawberry Crisis! with nuclear power! :)

Guess that's another significance for Touhou music. to make some connections to other stuff.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
I should really actively start playing the PC-98 games. Many people tell me the songs are extremely nice to listen to. I know for example that LLS and SoEW had pretty awesome tracks in them ( only two games I played few times ). Probably most is said in this thread and everybody do seems to agree on the same thing that ZUN knows how to combine music + theme + boss.

Generally, music for me is an inspiration source. A drive. When I am drawing, when I am traveling, when I am working out at the gym, when making danmakufu scripts. I don't think I can live a life on this planet without music. Probably every human being on this planet ( I hope ) has taken music a certain source of "energy". As a kid I would hum my own improvised songs while playing with toys and stuff.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Generally, music for me is an inspiration source. A drive. When I am drawing, when I am traveling, when I am working out at the gym, when making danmakufu scripts. I don't think I can live a life on this planet without music. Probably every human being on this planet ( I hope ) has taken music a certain source of "energy". As a kid I would hum my own improvised songs while playing with toys and stuff.

I used to need music while I did pretty much anything, including reading and homework. Now though... I can't concentrate on the task at hand, I have to listen to the music(assuming I like it). I still hate not having music handy when I'm housecleaning or taking my dog out for lengths greater than half hour. It can make the worst things enjoyable... I just wish I could enjoy it while vacuuming. Vacuum is too loud, and I don't want noise canceling headphones because I like to be aware of my surrounds while listening (especially since drivers are CRAZY).

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »

I can prove that theory wrong using one game. "GTA SA" oh god the music in that was bloody horrible. I know they were matching it to the atmosphere, but I really dont like that kinda music. so I used to plug in headphones to my CD player and turn radio volume to zero  :V

Its become too true for me lol. Always listening to doujin music now everywhere. Seems like I cant get on with life without it now lol. Work - need music. Bus? need music. Just feel like I'd go mad without it. (not that I dont listen to regular music... very ocassionally)

But more on topic, I think ZUN's done a fantastic job of matching themes to the battles and characters. I think thats what makes him a genius and what makes his games so popular is just that. Only a few themes I think are slightly off, Lettys i think was a bit too quick for its position. Not to say it isnt a good theme though, heard some good mixes of it.

Love the way the boss themes tie in so well, but I'd love theme more if only I could actually hear them all the way through for a change! *Bzzwaarp life gone* Border of life is probably my fave, not only for the song but the danmaku patterns, the enviroment, character, story, it all fits I think. Excuse me... I'm off to play PCB