Author Topic: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?  (Read 59607 times)

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:41 AM »
A few minutes ago, I tried playing Touhou using a Xbox 360 controller. Usually I play using a keyboard, but I was curious to see if there was any notable difference if I use a controller instead. It turns out that I do twice as good with a controller than with a regular keyboard.

I've also noticed that I really like the feel of using an arcade stick. It just feels so responsive to my motions. I've been planning to buy and arcade stick for a while, but they're so expensive and I don't know which ones are good for their price. Any recommendations?

Anyways, what do you use to play Touhou?

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
Re: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:14:38 AM »
It all depends on which method just feels right to you.  I, having grown up on gaming consoles and with minimal PC gaming experience, absolutely must use a 360 controller instead of the keyboard, regardless of how many people tell me I'm an idiot for doing so (which is a justifiable statement, as it took me forever to get the analog stick to work exactly as I want it, and even then, it only works perfectly on my computer, as the sensitivity goes straight down the drain when I try it on any other computer).  It's all dependent on what you're comfortable with.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
I first used keyboard because I didn't know how to get my controller to work. After I 1cc'd all the normals for all the Windows Touhous (And lotus land), I was stumped with 1ccing SA. I just couldn't do it (on normal, I didn't want to try easy). I mean, I couldn't even get past Orin on my first credit.

So then I finally got my ps3 controller to work, and as soon as I did, I 1cc'd SA with an extra life left on my first try. I thought my Touhou skills suddenly were god.

But...For some reason, when I tried using a controller for the other touhous, I did worse, not better. I fiddled with the sensativty and whatnot, but no dice, controller = suck mode. Eventually I got better and better, and could 1cc all the hards (except SA again, I haven't really tried yet though, scared lol, UFO doesn't count either since that didn't come out until after I set my personal goal for beating all the Touhou's on lunatic), as well as a few lunatics. But every time I tried the controller, normal mode was a struggle.

Every time I try a new shooter game for the first time, I try with and without the controller, and keyboard always wins for me.

I WOULD like to try a stick though. I have a very bad habit of moving more than I intend to using both a gamepad and the keyboard. I rekon a stick would help in that department (especially with rapid direction-changing slight diagonals).

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
I use a keyboard for all doujin and MAME shmups. I find that I can work the arrow keys significantly faster and more precisely than my thumb can work an analog stick or d-pad on a controller. I grew up on consoles, too. I also have an HRAP EX-SE stick, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

I've also noticed that I really like the feel of using an arcade stick. It just feels so responsive to my motions. I've been planning to buy and arcade stick for a while, but they're so expensive and I don't know which ones are good for their price. Any recommendations?

The shitty thing is that it's all preference. Ideally you would want to try out a whole bunch of sticks and see what feels most comfortable, but that's not very realistic, so you just have to do some research and make a choice. It's a gamble. Alternatively, you can buy a cheap stick and swap out the joystick and/or buttons for better quality ones, but it's probably not a good idea if you don't know what you're doing. Anyway, I would recommend keeping an eye out for sticks that have a Seimitsu (like mine) or Sanwa joystick. Both brands are popular manufacturers of quality Japanese arcade parts. The general consensus seems to be that Seimitsu joysticks are better for shmups (tighter movement) while Sanwa are better for fighters (looser movement). But since it ultimately comes down to preference, you might not find that to be the case. There is also the issue of buttons to consider as well. My stick has Seimitsu buttons, I think, but when I was making my purchase I was fixated entirely on the joystick instead, seeing as how I believe that movement is the most demanding task of a shooter.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
Always keyboard. I have tried Ikaruga and Triggerheart Exelica on Xbox 360 and i find that i can't control it properly which causes very stupid deaths to occur on consistent basis. It completely ruins the experience for me so yeah, i prefer the keyboard. Imperishable Night was the first shooter i ever played - discounting a cheap Space Invaders clone that controlled with the mouse. :(

Its not just shmups really. I have also found that i play Mega Man better on PC than on console.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
I play PCB and IN with my keyboard. I don't know how to get a controller to work on my comp and I don't have an arcade stick, SoYeah.

Bananamatic

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:20:58 PM »
Keyboard. I don't really have problems with a controller either - the ps2 one, that is :V

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »
I use a PS1 type controller.  It takes some used getting to the d-pad (or fail-pad) when you use the keyboard a lot.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
Controller.
I'm really terrible at the keyboard. A d-pad is so much easier.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
Keyboard. It's a computer game, after all, so that's the way I started.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Keyboard, I'm a PC gamer. At least I was.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
Keyboard.  Easier than a D-Pad and I always screw up stick control.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Menreiki

• I'll get your slippers; if you pet me.
  • No, really.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
Keyboard. I feel that pad isn't that responsive.

Matsuri

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:05 PM »
Always keyboard for Touhou, stick for everything else possible.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
Keyboard for shooters I have on the computer - nothing beats the precision of good ol' arrow keys when dealing with a game like Touhou.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
i am good with the d-pad of my PSone controllet.
through... from time to time i play with my Arcarde controller, mostly the fighting games, through. (played through MoF once with it through)

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »
Controller.
I'm really terrible at the keyboard. A d-pad is so much easier.

*high five*

As a struggling hard player, I find that even Easy Mode can sometimes make me sweat when using a keyboard.

Plus bridging your thumb over bomb button > using a separate finger. :V

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
I don't know how the hell a controller could be easier than a keyboard, but then again I've never tried.

Minxix

• boring irish person
  • lives in a shed
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:51 PM »
I use a Sega Saturn controller because I kinda like the layout of the buttons and I heard that the d-pad was good for shmups.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
Hmm. Wasn't there a thread about this already (abeit probably a while ago?)

Anyway, I've always used Keyboard. Never tried Touhou using anything else (its been god knows how long since I've played any shooter with anything else that I can remember)

Bananamatic

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
I use a Sega Saturn controller because I kinda like the layout of the buttons and I heard that the d-pad was good for shmups.
DO
DON
PACHI

now seriously, playing with an arcade stick has to be the ultimate nerdgasm.

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »
Keyboard. I don't have an arcade stick and I don't use a controller because the only one my parent's didn't get rid of is at my cousin's house.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »
Touhou with an arcade stick is actually pretty awesome. Everything should be played with an arcade stick.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »
I've always played with a controller, moreso for the button configuration than anything (focus on a shoulder button!), but prompted by this thread I tried it on the stick I use for fighting games. Was pretty fun, except I just didn't have the precise control I'm used to. I screwed up The Next History of Phantasm. =/ That thing's like...trivial. Still, fun. ^_^

Oddly, I play SWR with the keyboard. Never felt comfortable controlling it with anything else.

ebarrett

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »
Keyboard. I was circlestrafing back when you didn't have mouse support on a FPS, so yeah.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »
God damn I forgot how awesome RKS music is. I really need to play that game again, at least once before Freudenstachel, anyway.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
Everything should be played with an arcade stick.

Hell yes.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
Hmm? You can use a 360 controller for touhou? How do I do that :V

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
Hmm? You can use a 360 controller for touhou? How do I do that :V
I think they are using the USB ones.
Edit:  Wait, are they all USB?