Author Topic: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?  (Read 59588 times)

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
I don't think so, I can make perfect circles and all that and I didn't change anything in the options.

I use a logitech precision gamepad, so maybe it has something to do with the difference between a d-pad and 4 directional buttens?
Aren't you restricted to eight directions as well?  Pad, stick, or keyboard, you have four main directions (up, down, left, and right), plus the point where two buttons are being activated at the same time to give you a diagonal.  Your pad is an eight-way pad, too.

I think he is expecting the same kind of variable-speed movement as you usually get from the analog stick, not the "on or off" nature of an arcade stick or digital pad.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »
I'm not expecting variable movement speed.

Let me try to explain it:

I can only move in 45 degrees angles.

I want to move to 22,5 if I direct the analog stick in a 22,5 direction.

Currently, if I direct the analog stick at, for example, 35 degrees, the game still moves me at 45.

Barrakketh

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
I'm not expecting variable movement speed.

Let me try to explain it:

I can only move in 45 degrees angles.

I want to move to 22,5 if I direct the analog stick in a 22,5 direction.

Currently, if I direct the analog stick at, for example, 35 degrees, the game still moves me at 45.
That's normal AFAIK.  You can adjust the dead zone on an analog stick in the Touhou games, but you can't move in angles that aren't evenly divisible by 45.  That would give an unfair advantage to those with analog sticks :D
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
 :(

back to ol'good keyboard then

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
I just bought a MC sf4 TE r2. <3
I'll write my thought on it on tōhō after I receive it.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Generic, but much easier to approach than a similar topic at a certain forum.

I use keyboard, because I don't have a Saturn pad and I don't really want to use sticks.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
I play with both keyboard and pad - which one I use is entirely dependent on whether I'm playing on the desktop configuration or the laptop configuration.  I prefer pad, though, since I can have shot at R1 and focus at L1, with bomb at Square so they're all easily accessible. (Not to mention it works a hell of a lot better in RKS when Grolla's config works like Zero's.)

hint for pad users who can't use the dpad/analog stick: If your pad has it, try using the Analog button.  That usually swaps the stick and pad controls.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:20:01 AM by Sol »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
I just bought a MC sf4 TE r2. <3
I'll write my thought on it on tōhō after I receive it.
Feedback, after 5h of play with the stick.
The feeling is just amazing <3 I'll never play again on a pad. :D
From start, I won precision with the stick but messed up a lot with the buttons (there are so sensitive, sanwa :/), but after 3 or 4h it was better. And I improved already. <3

The feeling is really amazing, that's like playing touhou at the arcade. <3

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »
Two days ago, I would have said keyboard.

Now, I'll give you this replay.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8247

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2010, 12:24:49 AM »
I too went over the deep end and bought a SF IV Tournament Edition controller. The first thing I noted, right out of the box when I was eerily caressing the new toy is that it's not quite the same as I'm used to. What I'd like to mention first is that the stick isn't as rigid, which actually helps make movements feel a lot freer but also requires a bit of finesse. After that, I find the fact that the joystick has square borders rather surprising. As far as I've experimented, this'll have little or have no effect on how I play the shoot 'em ups but I wonder how it'll effect games like IAMP where I expect to be trying to throw off half and quarter circles. The third thing was the buttons, they were comparatively huge and had a convex shape to them, which is a lot more noticeable than I'd expected.

On the other hand I was quite happy to find something familiar. You see, when viewed in person, the button layout becomes much more apparent. So while two of the eight buttons are offset, you still have two neatly placed horizontal rows of buttons stacked right above each other. Since the buttons are bigger, I do find myself finding the angled set quite nifty but it's always nice to have the option of something more familiar should I feel like it.

So what do I think about it overall? Well quite frankly, despite not matching my expectancies, I must say it certainly does not disappoint. In fact, I'd say it's quite awesome. The most notable thing about it is that its highly responsive. This is a bit of a kicker at first because in combination with its free flowing nature, Marisa found herself in places she did not expect to be. However after a little adjustment, as well as a bit of rearranging my computer desk so I could stand up at it, I found it quite natural. With very light touches you can move the player character with extreme precision, focused or not and when you tilt the stick as par normal it feels as if your hand has been possessed by the character's spirit. This illusion was so believable that I find myself wanting little hand-puppets for each of the playable I.N. characters and maybe Patchy too to use whilst playing. I think it'd be quite cute to see them gripping upon the little ball-top, although come to think of it they'd have to be be facing away...

There was a little trouble with paradise however. While the buttons are configurable with just the games, neither EoSD or I.N. recognized the joystick straight off the bat. Thankfully Joy2Key allowed me to map it to the cursor keys, so no big loss there. The cord compartment is a good idea but seems a bit difficult to use. Also on the very first night of using it I noticed the downwards direction tended to squeak a little, so I sent it in on warranty. While all conversations with tech support have been kept quite civil and said they'd give it a look to see if there's a quick fix, they'd also said there is the potential that they may not be able to do anything about it should this be a fault of the manufacturer's parts (I'd presume the Sanwa buttons). This leaves me utterly stunned, since I'd think this is the one thing you'd always expect a warranty to cover. As the creme de la creme of disappointment, Namco's official shareware edition of  :V... doesn't seem to respond to it at all, even with Joy2key. It might not be Touhou but I was kinda looking forward to that. :(

On the note of compatibility, the PS3 edition may not be compatible with all P.C. hardware sets due to Sony's proprietary designs, so I ended up getting the 360 version instead, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:37:17 AM by Tonepoet »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
I'll try a controller when I get a new PC. I've only played stuff on my PC using a keyboard before. However, playing PoFV using a controller recently left my left hand feeling 90% more carpal tunnel syndrome free.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2010, 02:42:05 AM »
I too went over the deep end and bought a SF IV Tournament Edition controller. The first thing I noted, right out of the box when I was eerily caressing the new toy is that it's not quite the same as I'm used to. What I'd like to mention first is that the stick isn't as rigid, which actually helps make movements feel a lot freer but also requires a bit of finesse. After that, I find the fact that the joystick has square borders rather surprising. As far as I've experimented, this'll have little or have no effect on how I play the shoot 'em ups but I wonder how it'll effect games like IAMP where I expect to be trying to throw off half and quarter circles. The third thing was the buttons, they were comparatively huge and had a convex shape to them, which is a lot more noticeable than I'd expected.

Square gates are actually the standard in Japan. I think a lot of people just move the stick around with their fingers rather than with their wrist/hand to avoid getting caught in the gate's corners when playing fighters. The looser feel is probably because that controller has a Sanwa stick in it; Seimitsu sticks are tighter and generally preferred for shooters. I'd be interested to know what you think of the controller for IaMP/SWR, since you're now pretty much set up with the authentic input method for them.

Barrakketh

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
Square gates are actually the standard in Japan. I think a lot of people just move the stick around with their fingers rather than with their wrist/hand to avoid getting caught in the gate's corners when playing fighters. The looser feel is probably because that controller has a Sanwa stick in it; Seimitsu sticks are tighter and generally preferred for shooters. I'd be interested to know what you think of the controller for IaMP/SWR, since you're now pretty much set up with the authentic input method for them.
You can buy an octo-gate for the JLF that comes with the TE sticks, but as you mentioned Seimitsu sticks have a smaller dead-zone and throw.  The LS-56 has an octo gate available for it but you need the MS mounting plate (the VF that comes with it isn't suitable).  The standard Seimitsu stick for SHMUPs (LS-32(-01) comes with a square gate, and you can swap that out for a circular gate if you'd like.

That said, don't ride the gate.  The JLF has a long throw (the total distance you can move the stick) and dead-zone, but the engage distance (engage is when the switches activate) is much shorter than the throw.  It's a matter of finesse, but you don't need to push the stick all the way to have the movement register.  Wish a square gate the distance to a corner is twice as far as to the sides, so it isn't hard to avoid mashing down into a corner.

Valentinya

• Does not play well with others
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
I use a Logitech Dual Action Gamepad to play Touhou. Originally I bought my controller because I couldn't stand using a keyboard as I had always been used to playing games with a controller. I find I just can't play games as well on a keyboard.

Although before I downloaded Xpadder I was stuck using the keyboard  for awhile with Subterranean Animism because it seems to hate my controller. I eventually got better at playing the games with a keyboard as a result. But it's been so long since I last played with a keyboard that I probably couldn't play very well with one now.

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
You're more verbose then me, Tonepoet. :P
I sent my stick to warranty too, for the stick mode selection that didn't work. But after one day of play with it, I really don't regret it, I honestly thought that it's the best hardware investment I did for the last months (~year).

I tried sf4 with it too, it was really hard at the begining, the button imput where toofast (like, on a 236p, the punch was on the 3) ><. The improvements are fast tho.

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »
You can buy an octo-gate for the JLF that comes with the TE sticks, but as you mentioned Seimitsu sticks have a smaller dead-zone and throw.  The LS-56 has an octo gate available for it but you need the MS mounting plate (the VF that comes with it isn't suitable).  The standard Seimitsu stick for SHMUPs (LS-32(-01) comes with a square gate, and you can swap that out for a circular gate if you'd like.

That said, don't ride the gate.  The JLF has a long throw (the total distance you can move the stick) and dead-zone, but the engage distance (engage is when the switches activate) is much shorter than the throw.  It's a matter of finesse, but you don't need to push the stick all the way to have the movement register.  Wish a square gate the distance to a corner is twice as far as to the sides, so it isn't hard to avoid mashing down into a corner.
I find that the square gate makes the rectangular playing field more believable. Should you want to make a big sweeping movement to dodge aimed bullets like the ones Cirno opens up with and just so happen to bump into the world's boundaries, it kinda reflects upon the general shape of the world. This shouldn't come into play often though since they activate far before the ends the edges of the map are generally where you don't want to be. I must admit my first instinct to try and throw all the way out failed rather miserably. Thankfully it's really quite easy to take note of where the switches activate because there's a very satisfying little ticking type sound when it happens. That makes picking up on what you should do instead quite a quick process.

The stick differences are interesting though. I did find myself initially expecting a smaller throw at first and I suppose that in conjunction with a tighter stick, would allow you to go back to neutral quicker. I'm not really experiencing any problems with that though and like I said before, this stick feels very quite natural. Far banking means you go far where as the simplest little finite touches move you in microns. I'd attribute this partially to the amount of time it takes to return to neutral upon, which becomes greater the farther out you go.

Also the finesse issue, it can be a bit of a double edged sword as more is required but more is allowed. While I must admit to having little frame of reference, I'd imagine that the looseness means less resistance to your will, making mid-motion adjustments a lot easier. I must also say that it makes putting in very light touches with your fingers very easy. These factors can be great for getting out of tight squeezes a lot easier. However the results of carelessness are also more accurately reflected as you can make silly decisions less hesitantly and may not be as able to just stop on a dime.

With a stiffer stick, one's touches probably wouldn't have to be as light to register small movements either, which is good should the user prove a bit too heavy handed. It may may help to prevent slip-ups as well since commands are less likely to be misregistered and the greater hesitancy would allow for greater caution. Quicker returns to neutral would also guarantees the ability to make quick stops on the dime. Essentially you're a lot less accident prone, which is very important for a long haul game like an arcade style shoot 'em up, since if you do it all in one sitting you're bound to make some eventually.

All in all I'm probably going to leave it stock as a pseudo collector's item should be, especially since it's quite impressive as is.

Quote from: Aisha
I'd be interested to know what you think of the controller for IaMP/SWR, since you're now pretty much set up with the authentic input method for them.

There's a bit of irony in the situation in that even though I got a Street Fighter Fightstick/Pad, I get really disoriented by fighting games due to their control intensive play-style. True, this style of play probably makes them the best barometer of what sort of controller is good or bad but I can't comment on my effectualness without knowing what it is I wanted to be doing. Refined articulation and crude button mashing just simply don't mix. Also keep in mind that this is my first and possibly only high-end home joystick, so I don't have much in the way of fair comparison, unless you count my keyboard/playstation controllers. That being said, I did order IaMP, Mystical Chain and Melty Blood recently, so when I get everything I need from the mail, I might try to toy around with various control schemes a bit. No promises though.

You're more verbose then me, Tonepoet. :P
I sent my stick to warranty too, for the stick mode selection that didn't work. But after one day of play with it, I really don't regret it, I honestly thought that it's the best hardware investment I did for the last months (~year).
Eheh, yeah, I do tend to go all out with my forum posts. I think it's a great use of the medium, when done properly, although I do sometimes question my ability to do that sometimes... At any rate, it's not comforting that there are two warranty calls here, although mine did seem to be fully functional. I probably wouldn't be able to really tell if my switches worked or not though, since I've only hooked it up to my computer. Hmm...

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:53 PM »
I understand quite well, I tend to do the same in my maternal language, but I'm at loss in English (so-so grammar & lack of vocabulary, even if I understand pretty well).
I have the same sensation as yours, the stick seems really natural. I miss it, I want it already. :P The gate was a surprise tho, I remember octogate at the arcade in my youth (but it was decades ago, maybe I misremember).

I'm uploading a youtube video, to expose the gain in small and precise move (micro grazing here). If you compare with another old one (like spell 147 of imperishable night) you'll see the difference & improvement. Yeah, I'm a pretty sub average player, you don't have to point that out please. :D

Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQK3Ukkug8 (upscalled in 720p for quality @decreasing quality of youtube, so it might be processing for a little while).

P.S.: I'm not a commercial for madcatz, or whatever. :P

@Aisha: I dunno how I have to take it. :o
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:20:39 AM by Whinette »

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2010, 10:58:06 PM »
Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQK3Ukkug8 (upscalled in 720p for quality @decreasing quality of youtube, so it might be processing for a little while).

00:18-00:19 is ridiculous.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
I should try to build an arcade stick. I'm highly curious.

Moomaria

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
gamepad supremacy

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
I use keyboard, years of fighting games emulated has made me quite skilled with keyboard.  At this point I actually do use an arcade stick for all fighting games, but I still like to use a keyboard for Touhou.  There are some things I don't like about arcade sticks and I feel these things would definitely show up more in Touhou than in a fighting game.

Barrakketh

« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
There are some things I don't like about arcade sticks and I feel these things would definitely show up more in Touhou than in a fighting game.
Such as?  Usually the stick itself is the main complaint, and that's because the most common stick isn't made for SHMUPs (the Sanwa JLF).

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:58 AM »
Alright... I've tried using a controller now for most of the Windows Touhou games now, but I'm going to conclude that due to my play style for every game that isn't UFO (stay on the bottom of the screen and hold down to reduce horizontal movement speed), I'm vastly used to the keyboard.

When using a controller, I just can't seem to consistently get that spot between down and left or right exactly when I want it.

Of course, for UFO, you're going to be punished severely for staying on the bottom for 99% of the game, so my skill dramatically goes up when I use a controller for UFO only... Seriously, look at this and this and tell me you could make those kind of movements on a keyboard.

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2010, 05:02:20 AM »
As far as the fighters go I really do suck too much to say. I'm not really sure what I'm doing with IAMP. Seems very gauge based, which is troublesome since I don't know what the curved one does. I'll probably have to look up a gameplay guide on the Wiki to get the gist of what to do. Even further complicating the issue is deciding upon a button layout. In an Arcade you're just stuck with whatever they give you. I'd try to emulate what I'm used to, except these doujin fighters use a four button layout which gives me a lot to speculate on. There are multiple configurations I could use. Comfort lends itself most to an upside-down T but I'm fairly sure I've never seen any cabinet laid out like that before. Multiple spread line configurations come to mind too, as well as  the square. The only in-game hing I can say with any certainty at the moment is that I have to act with a bit of speed restriction to have the quarter circles, which kinda disrupts my personal flow.

The more interesting bit about it though is that I got a PS3, so naturally I got PS3 versions of the stick. It works with my computer at the least and a bit more functionally than the 360 version too. The Touhou games readily recognize the joystick without needing to configure Joy2Key if I have it set to left-stick (something the 360 version does not do) and it even works on my OSX partition. IAMP's configuration tool seems not to play nicely with Joy2Key either, meaning I'm actually quite stuck with the PS3 stick when playing it, not that it really makes a difference. Granted this is only helpful if your computer recognizes the joystick to begin with, which may rely upon several factors which I've only read about second hand.

Melty Blood will work with either version without external aid by the way.

Quote from: Benny1
    There are some things I don't like about arcade sticks and I feel these things would definitely show up more in Touhou than in a fighting game.
Such as?  Usually the stick itself is the main complaint, and that's because the most common stick isn't made for SHMUPs (the Sanwa JLF).
  I doubt that's it. With the way the statement was phrased, he seems to not like sticks in general, even for fighters and uses them as an alternative to something even worse. If I had to guess, I'd imagine that a joystick's buttons would be closer to a keyboard than a joypad so he might be talking about console games, since you usually can't use keyboards for those. Still, that's only a guess though.

Quote from: Fox Fanatic
Alright... I've tried using a controller now for most of the Windows Touhou games now, but I'm going to conclude that due to my play style for every game that isn't UFO (stay on the bottom of the screen and hold down to reduce horizontal movement speed), I'm vastly used to the keyboard.

When using a controller, I just can't seem to consistently get that spot between down and left or right exactly when I want it.

Of course, for UFO, you're going to be punished severely for staying on the bottom for 99% of the game, so my skill dramatically goes up when I use a controller for UFO only... Seriously, look at this and this and tell me you could make those kind of movements on a keyboard.

I'm going to be a bit presumptuous again for another moment and imagine that your D-pad is cross style as opposed to circular style. With a cross style d-pad you have to use your thumb to press both points at once to combine vertical and horizontal movements, which can be kinda tricky. The circular ones bridge those points, so you can press on the space between or even just tip them more along the horizontal plane.  Then again, with left/right being your primary movement modality, tying in the horizontal axis with the vertical axis might not be such a good thing. It gives you the chance to make a dreadful slip-up[wards]  in a moment of clumsiness. You really would get few benefits using the D-pad if you're never going to use the full freedom of movement the game provides you with anyway, as the D-pad's main benefits come from utilizing the fluidity of your thumb socket.

There is another option though and I'm willing to bet it's something you're able to do. All of the directions can be assigned to any other button on the controller, without disabling any part of the D-pad. Since you only need three buttons for Touhou and most gamepads have at least four, this means you could just assign Down to the erroneous button and activate it like a special ability. Since that's kinda how you're already using it anyway, this might prove a bit more fruitful for you than relying on the D-pad alone. Additionally, it may be a bit of an odd thought but you could also take this idea a bit further by setting your shoulder buttons to stride. At least, assuming you have any that is. This will provide you with the restrictive safety you're used to with the keyboard while giving you ready access to the D-pad should you ever want it.  I just tested this with EoSD and I.N. myself, so it really should work. Hopefully it's helpful to ya.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:11:38 AM by Tonepoet »

Barrakketh

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »
It works with my computer at the least and a bit more functionally than the 360 version too. The Touhou games readily recognize the joystick without needing to configure Joy2Key if I have it set to left-stick (something the 360 version does not do)
This seems to be a problem with Touhou and IAMP/SWR.  The 360 stick will appear to use the stick as a POV hat, and the games don't accept that for input.  The 360 stick's switch will in fact change what inputs the stick sends to the PC, as tested under Linux (Arch Linux, xpad driver).  In all likelyhood it just boils down to the games not supporting controllers that use Xinput (which is what the 360 uses, and is supported by DirectX 9+).

IAMP's configuration tool seems not to play nicely with Joy2Key either, meaning I'm actually quite stuck with the PS3 stick when playing it, not that it really makes a difference.
Neither does SWR's.  You can actually use it with it, but if you try to select a character after setting up Joy2Key for the directions it'll switch to reading your stick and ignore what you've done with Joy2Key.  If you pick a character and start a match with the keyboard you can then use the arcade stick for actual play.  Note that this is annoying as hell, so I haven't been playing SWR.  I haven't tried actually remapping the buttons their selves to see if SWR will detect that first instead of the stick.  The next time I'm in Windows I'll have to try it.

Other games like SFIV work fine, and you can have the stick work with MAME as well.

Granted this is only helpful if your computer recognizes the joystick to begin with, which may rely upon several factors which I've only read about second hand.
The PS3 versions use UHCI to communicate with the PC, and only Intel and VIA chipsets use it.  Basically every other USB device on the market uses OHCI, including the 360 stick.  Since I don't have an Intel CPU/chipset the PS3 version wasn't an option for me.

EDIT:  Looked up some programming details for the 360 controllers/sticks and might have a simple fix that I'll have to test.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:05:53 PM by Barrakketh »

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
The PoV hat thing makes sense, since the 360 T.E. only displays one means of input where as the PS3 version shows several. I guess that means Touhou only recognizes X/Y axises, since if I set the thing to RS the Z axis/rotation settings aren't recoginzed either and DP is the PoV Switch mode.

The PS3 versions use UHCI to communicate with the PC, and only Intel and VIA chipsets use it.  Basically every other USB device on the market uses OHCI, including the 360 stick.  Since I don't have an Intel CPU/chipset the PS3 version wasn't an option for me.
I've done a lot of reading up on the issue but withheld the information because I can't come to anything conclusive based upon what I've got. You see, in addition to the VIA USB Controllers, some people seem to claim that the problem lies in NIVIDIA graphics cards. Since my stock 2008 2.8ghz Core Duo 2 iMac uses an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro, I can't rule that out as a possibility myself.

Neither does SWR's.  You can actually use it with it, but if you try to select a character after setting up Joy2Key for the directions it'll switch to reading your stick and ignore what you've done with Joy2Key.  If you pick a character and start a match with the keyboard you can then use the arcade stick for actual play.  Note that this is annoying as hell, so I haven't been playing SWR.  I haven't tried actually remapping the buttons their selves to see if SWR will detect that first instead of the stick.  The next time I'm in Windows I'll have to try it.

Soo you're saying to set some erroneous Sanwa buttons to directions, in the hopes that IAMP won't look to override j2k's joystick settings when the round starts? <Tonepoet tries that>  Nope, kills the stick regardless, and not even those buttons seem not to work as directional inputs. Even worse, the action keys stubbornly seem not to be what I set them to. Funnily enough though, if you manage to pause the game, you can still use the 360 stick to navigate the pause menu. How odd that the menus seem to readily recognize j2k but not the actual battles. It'd be better if it was the other way around, since it's the actual fighting you want the controller for most.

Barrakketh

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
Well, I've had some success (no thanks to Microsoft):

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:11 AM »
I don't even have luxury to try out any other option besides keyboard  :(

Looking at all the posts I am surprised how many are finding controller easier to use because I believed using controller requires greater motion to move rather than simply clicking the button, though I may be misguided in this belief as I never used one before.

Either way, thinking about how I never even touched something resembling controller in my entire game life, I expect my skill to decrease horrendously using such devices really.

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Well, I've had some success (no thanks to Microsoft):

I'm pretty interested, if you could give some details (or even more). =)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:36:12 AM by Whinette »

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Ack... I tried a 360 controller, and couldn't even go one stage without dying... I even tried adjusting the sensitivity all around. I think I'll stick to keyboard. A controller makes the fighting games way easier though! >:D