Author Topic: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?  (Read 59594 times)

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: Keyboard, Controller, or Arcade Stick?
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
I'm pretty interested, if you could give some details (or even more). =)
I'm waiting to see if someone from MadCatz can get some of the information I need to make the process a little easier.  Basically, you have to:

• Disable UAC if using Vista/7
  • Download and install the XBCD driver (post where 0.2.7 was announced)
  • Download and install the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider
  • If your pad/stick isn't supported (if the MadCatz guy delivers I'll provide an easy way to do this) edit the driver's .inf file with what it needs to identify your pad/stick.
  • Use the DSEO to a) sign the driver, and b) put your machine in the "test mode" where you can install self-signed drivers (otherwise you'd have to hit F8 on every boot and choose an option to temporarily do the same thing...which is annoying)
  • Manually install the driver through the device manager if using Vista/7 (if you've ever installed a driver without an installer doing it for you the process is the same).
Annoying as hell, but that's Microsoft for you >:(
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
Ok. I used that method in the past to try the ps3 controller, but I went back on 360one because I don't like disabling that sort of things. It sucks that it can't be bypass. =(

Barrakketh

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
Ok. I used that method in the past to try the ps3 controller, but I went back on 360one because I don't like disabling that sort of things. It sucks that it can't be bypass. =(
You didn't have to go through as many hoops to make it work in the past, but Microsoft made it harder with Vista SP1.

For me, the choice is simple: my arcade stick doesn't work with either the Touhou SHMUPs or fighting games when I use Microsoft's drivers, and it does with the XBCD drivers.  One day I'll mod my stick with a multi-console Cthulhu, but until then this will do.

Things are actually easier on Linux than Windows :3
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2010, 04:10:49 AM »
Arcade stick for me, it's what I prefer for all arcade style games. Though pad (Saturn/PS2) isn't as unmanageable for me for shmups as fighting games, I still prefer it.

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
I resigned to use it again, but I can't put it to work the way I want.
With a default settings, things are almost great : newer games works fine with the stick config on LS. No remanence input created by the way the stick don't reset to neutral position instantly.
But in older games (only tried in th08), the remanence is here.
The best fix I think about is to force touhou to recognize the POV input and not the axis x&y, but I can't find a way to do that ... if I change the leftstick to input POV in xbcd, it's doesn't work.
It's late, so I'm tired and I might miss something ...

edit: like usual, I find a way just after posting somewhere. Configuring dpad on axis x&y might works fine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:48:27 AM by Whinette »

Barrakketh

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »
I copied IN to my flash drive so I could test it in Windows.  My stick worked perfectly when set to LS, played through stage one just to make sure nothing funky happened.

That was with XBCD 0.27.

shinmasaki

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
just thought I'd throw this out there.

I play with a logitech PC gaming controller. I find it works quite well for me. I've tried playing on a keyboard, but having been a console gamer since back in the days of the Atari 2600, I grew up on controllers rather than keyboards (not the Atari...but every console past that). One thing that gets me a little ticked is at the people out there who rave about how if you are not playing on a keyboard, you may as well not play Touhou at all and how keyboard is infinitely better than any other medium of playing Touhou. Then there are others who complain that the game is impossible to play on anything but a keyboard, etc etc. I really dislike ignorance like that. Just ranting a bit, don't mind me.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
to play touhou i use the keyboard, arrow keys.
for FPS games I use the insert, home, delete, end, page up, page down and 7 numberkeypad key.
it's really much better than your average WSAD config.

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:05 PM »
I highly doubt I'd be able to play Touhou with anything other than a keyboard. It has a bit to do with the fact that I'm used to it, but it still feels more precise to me. Same goes with playing on a computer screen rather than a TV; I have to slide right in front of my TV to see the bullets when I play Mushihimesama, and even then I end up dying by moving too fast with the arcade stick. I imagine that problem would go away with a bit more practice though.

Anyway, shmups are obviously playable with any type of controller, but I like being able to tap a key on my keyboard and know that I'll only move a fraction of an inch.

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »
Oh btw, I bought the ls-56 +  an octogate. It's amazing, the feeling is even more good than with the jlf. Its deadzone is near zero, and the course of the shaft is pretty short. Small precise movement are back. :)

Now, I have to change the art ...

« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty awesome stick.

Totally not a fan of octogates though. :V

null1024

• Moo!
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2010, 03:21:47 AM »
I use a keyboard myself, but I'd love to have a stick of my own, as I'm about as good on a stick as I am with the keyboard.
I suck with pads though.