Author Topic: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Complete! Second post: Library Catalogue  (Read 257368 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Recruiting!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Mmk, I managed to steal a school computer long enough for me to finish this.

Another Dream Issues 6A and 6B: They should be included, but they're also impossible to summarize, because the stories are by various authors and some are fanfiction while others are doujins. A link to both of the relevant threads should be fine.

Aki Sisters Appreciation Anthology, Mizuhashi Parsee Anthology: A link should suffice under the "Other" category, because there's no actual content within the threads themselves, but they lead to content and discussion.

Creative Musings and Inspiration: Should be listed under "Others", and its summary should just be "Post your story ideas here!"

And I think that's it for the iffy threads.

As for the work itself: I am amazed at how fast you folks seem to be working on this. I don't think school will let up on me for at least another two days, though. :/ Sakana, you're doing a great job coordinating all of this, keep it up.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Accepting Summaries!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
My summaries will be done in large batches and just mass-dumped on one of the two SKs via PM - I'm working nearly 12 hour days 6 days a week right now. I wake up and leave for work before the sun comes up, and I get off the clock after the sun goes down.

Doesn't mean I won't stop and read, though - just give me a day or so to burn through the stories that've been assigned to me and you'll find the correlating summaries floating around your inboxes (as I plan to inflate them with helium)

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »
Question, How should I do the summary on the entirety of Kimiko's fiction? Should I go through and just generalize his works?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »
Alrighty, list updated with the already summarized works and two new additions (reading all that fiction got you into the mood for writing again, Rou?  ;))

A note for the ones who have been given compilations of short works to summarize:

-If it's only a small number of works (maybe up to four), please try to summarize them individually (especially if they are linked

-If there's many works, then have a look at them and do a general summary of what kind of stories the reaer may expect. Chaos did on KimikoMuffin's fiction thread a very good job with this method, like this:

Summary: This is a massive list of works by the Author KimikoMuffin, master of puns and silly references. Muffin manages to create a Gensokyo of his own to explore and define, taking stories you've heard before and doing them over.

Other than that, keep at it, you're all doing wonderful work  :D
And you don't have to rush things if you're busy, we've got lots of time.
In fact, I believe the last one to submit all of his summaries will be me, as I haven't even gotten to starting yet  :V

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »
Since I may start fooling around for a bit tomorrow, just a preliminary warning:

MISSION UPDATE:

I hereby declare February 4th, that is, tomorrow, to be Patchouli-Day.
As such, every member of the Librarians is asked to change their avatar to a Chibi-Patchy for 24 hours starting midnight at my place.
Whoever hasn't done so at that point shall be victim to abuse of the temporary powers that I will potentially gain at this time :3

Also, I cannot guarantee that there will be no victims outside of the Librarians', be warned :3

PROJECT RELEVANT EDIT: Fanwork list was updated with the 'Other' section. The works there will be included in the final listing, but do not need summaries.

EDIT2: Oh, and since I saw a link to the project in Sakura's sig just now, let me join in. *updates sig*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:57:58 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
In fact, I believe the last one to submit all of his summaries will be me, as I haven't even gotten to starting yet  :V

Says you, I just woke up at 7:30 AM after falling asleep when I got home last night at 6:00 PM. That's 13 straight hours of sleep. =_=

Granted, I got lucky; one of the fanworks on my list of assignments is one I've already read, Subconscious Dream. Hell, I was Gpop's proofreader. Koishi is <3. (Granted, one of the other ones is Valesta's Thought's End...)

As such, every member of the Librarians is asked to change their avatar to a Chibi-Patchy for 24 hours starting midnight at my place.
Whoever hasn't done so at that point shall be victim to abuse of the temporary powers that I will potentially gain at this time :3

What no ;-; I can't stand Patchu, and moreover, chibi characters make me rage. I will risk your anger rather than endorse Patchurry >:<

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
What no ;-; I can't stand Patchu, and moreover, chibi characters make me rage. I will risk your anger rather than endorse Patchurry >:<
Koakuma for you then, my only offer :3

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
Koakuma for you then, my only offer :3

I accept! But right now I have to go to school so I'll fix it before the 4th tomorrow. o>

Hey, does this mean that you all have to put on Shiki avatars for my birthday in two weeks? :3

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:53 PM »
I accept! But right now I have to go to school so I'll fix it before the 4th tomorrow. o>

Hey, does this mean that you all have to put on Shiki avatars for my birthday in two weeks? :3
Have a nice day then~

In two weeks? Cool. You could actually fool around without it being your birthday as a mod, but sure. I wouldn't mind Shiki.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
May I make a suggestion, wrt submission guidelines?

Perhaps from here on out, writers should include a summary with each submission. Would certainly make your lives easier.

You could even encourage those who have submitted so far to write their own summaries. 
Just a thought.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »
May I make a suggestion, wrt submission guidelines?

Perhaps from here on out, writers should include a summary with each submission. Would certainly make your lives easier.

You could even encourage those who have submitted so far to write their own summaries. 
Just a thought.
As much as I appreciate your concern, writers writing summaries for their own stories is exactly what we did not want.
There is always a risk of an author making their own work look especially good, intended or unintended, and we want the list to be as objective as possible.
We decided on this right at the start, and that's why we will keep the system as it is now.  :)

And, speaking for myself, I don't mind checking out and summarizing new works and keeping the list updated once we're done with the current workload.
It's a nice and fun way of doing something useful for the community, and I'd love to keep this job.  :D

Of course, the final decision on how we will handle updating the list in the future also depends on MTG, since she is responsible for the creativity boards now.
And concerning that: Congratulations on your new position, Gappy  :D

EDIT: And speaking of updates, a new work was added to the list right now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:47:17 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
Does this qualify? Asking now so I have time to change later. >_>

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »

Just a thought.

I was thinking that way myself, but there are some problems that arise when you think about how this could be implemented.

First: If the summary is in the thread itself, then you'd have to go to that story itself to read its summary. The nice part about this listing is that it's a go-to directory for all these other pieces of fiction, where we assume that you haven't read a given story yet, and you don't have to go into the fic itself to find the summary thereof.

The second reason is a touch more cynical: A lot of people don't finish writing their fics. They have a good idea of what the story is going to look like, but they just plain never get there. The writer knows the summary for their own fic, but if they never finish it, then there may be some things in the summary that haven't shown up in the fiction proper and likely never will.*

And lastly: I tend to trust the recommendations of my peers more than I would an author who wants to promote themselves. This last one is purely subjective, though, and I don't think it applies to everyone. That's just my view.

And yeah, it helps us feel like we're doing something useful for the community. =]

@ Sakana: I asked Zucchini Sukima to help you guys out with post editing powers and the like if you need them while I'm not around, and she said yes. I think we're fine on that front.

* This brings up a good point, come to think of it: the current summary of Sweet Dreams, for example, lists it as a comedy/drama, which it is, so far. However, my current plot for it will turn it into a drama/
Spoiler:
tragedy
, so.... are we going to update these periodically?

Tengukami

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
I was thinking that way myself, but there are some problems that arise when you think about how this could be implemented.

First: If the summary is in the thread itself, then you'd have to go to that story itself to read its summary. The nice part about this listing is that it's a go-to directory for all these other pieces of fiction, where we assume that you haven't read a given story yet, and you don't have to go into the fic itself to find the summary thereof.

Well, to this, the summaries could be PM'd to one of you librarian people.

The second reason is a touch more cynical: A lot of people don't finish writing their fics. They have a good idea of what the story is going to look like, but they just plain never get there. The writer knows the summary for their own fic, but if they never finish it, then there may be some things in the summary that haven't shown up in the fiction proper and likely never will.*

To this, a summary requirement on unfinished pieces would be that it must cover only what has been told in the story so far (summaries seldom give away endings anyway), and that it be lablled "UNFINISHED"

And lastly: I tend to trust the recommendations of my peers more than I would an author who wants to promote themselves. This last one is purely subjective, though, and I don't think it applies to everyone. That's just my view.

And yeah, it helps us feel like we're doing something useful for the community. =]

Now this, I can see. That makes total sense, as was pointed out before.

Anyways, you guys are doing a bang-up job. Keep up the good work!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
Hehe, thanks Tengukami. Your concern is very much appreciated.
The authors PMing us the summaries would be a way indeed. But a potential problem would be that new writers would have to read and remember that they are required to do so, and frankly, I think many would not do it at once. And if we have to poke people for their summaries, we might as well save them the trouble and do it ourselves, enjoying some (hopefully) good ficiton in the process.   :)

Other than that, Sakura's words pretty much sum up our stance.
My vision for the future is that, once the big list is done, Sakura and I will remain in charge of updating the list regularly and writing new summaries.
I said it before, but I really want to keep that job  :D
(Hey, if we do a good job, maybe we'll get a Librarian tag one day  ;) )

@Sakura:
It's good to know MTG (or Gappy, or Sukima... how many names does she have?  (o_0) ) supports us. I don't think any post editing powers will be neccesary, since the only thing for me to edit is the list, and that's my post, but now I know where to turn if need arises.

As for your question on changing genres: I don't see a problem with that. It will simpy require us to not only read new fictions, but also additions to existing ones. I doubt it will be that much extra work, and there won't be that many fics where a new genre needs to be added, so we should be able to deal with it.

Lastly: I highly approve of Rou's and Chaore' Patchys. Good job  ;D

Chaore

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »
* This brings up a good point, come to think of it: the current summary of Sweet Dreams, for example, lists it as a comedy/drama, which it is, so far. However, my current plot for it will turn it into a drama/
Spoiler:
tragedy
, so.... are we going to update these periodically?

This is a good point, In fact, it may even end up more apt to summarize things differently at different points. We should at least, ponder if things should be changed after each update of a fiction, or have it so authors or others inform us when they think we may want to second check our current summaries.

Hell, when works finish, we're already going to have to update the status. It kinda seems like a redundant question.

(Hey, if we do a good job, maybe we'll get a Librarian tag one day  ;) )

This seems a bit silly, I'm not saying I'm calling it quits, But past the massive load, the community fan works kind of updates slowly. An entire group might be overkill once everything is summarized and done. Sadly, I don't think the Super Librarian Rangers will last past that. >:

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
This seems a bit silly, I'm not saying I'm calling it quits, But past the massive load, the community fan works kind of updates slowly. An entire group might be overkill once everything is summarized and done. Sadly, I don't think the Super Librarian Rangers will last past that. >:
I know, just daydreaming a bit   ;)
Also, yes, keeping all of the group after that is too much, that's why I proposed Sakura and I will be in charge of future updates (unless she doesn't want to/ is too busy).
I think two, maximum three, people staying on the job is enough, and I wanna be one of them  ;D

This is a good point, In fact, it may even end up more apt to summarize things differently at different points. We should at least, ponder if things should be changed after each update of a fiction, or have it so authors or others inform us when they think we may want to second check our current summaries.
You mean that the summary should be revised completely when a fic changes direction drastically?
Hm, yeah, that sound like the best way, same goes for your idea of authors informing us about big changes.

Chaore

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
You mean that the summary should be revised completely when a fic changes direction drastically?

Kinda. Mostly, when the summary is just too small and focusing to include the full scale. If a summary just over all fits the setting of the first chapter only and the fic increases in size drastically, it obviously needs to be considered and redone.

A good example would be Mad Magic, it seems like a drama currently, but apparently Stein intended (Or intends) to take it in a whodunnit direction. If he hadn't added that, it'd be more of a 'Blank died.' than 'Blank died, but why?'. Certainly, when a fic expands into a new direction, that tends to count.

This is the kind of situation I'm mostly reffering to with summaries.

Tengukami

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »
Yeah, I think that's why an "Unfinished" tag is warranted.

Also: are you librarians going to alphabetize? By title or author? Both? Sort by genre?

Not trying to add to your workload, just genuinely curious. And a bit excited.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »
Sorting on the final list is going to be alphabetically by author, that's what Sakura decided when we started.

Btw, the way you are excited and ask questions fits your Aya avatar so much, Tengukami   :D

Tengukami

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
It's in my blood, caw caw.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:06 PM »
I'm willing to step in as the third mainstay member if necessary.

On that note, is it possible to make a list of the recent fics that are unsummarised but haven't been designated to a librarian? Or can we assume that for now we're more or less good?

Chaore

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
I'm willing to step in as the third mainstay member if necessary.

On that note, is it possible to make a list of the recent fics that are unsummarised but haven't been designated to a librarian? Or can we assume that for now we're more or less good?

Its been a day, Rou. Lets give them a few more before we start calling in THE REPLACEMENTS.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Ahaha, I think I have been going a bit too far into the future with my thoughts, excuse me.

Yeah Rou, Chaos is right, let's settle this work here first.

On your question: Everything below the song Parodies has not been assigned to anyone. I'll add that info to the list itself as well, totally forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
So are these summaries public yet, or not? I think this is a wonderful idea BTW.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Summaries won't go public before they're all done, which might still take a week or longer, depending on how busy we all are.
After that, we'll have to look over all the summaries to check the genres that were used and the formatting, for example, which might also take some time.

I also can't say yet whether the summaries will be in this thread as well, replacing the list that we have now, or if there will be a whole new thread for the complete list. That's up to Sakura to decide, I'd say.

EDIT:
Arrr, dammit. Seems Birthday Powers are invoked depending on the server time, not local time...which makes sense, actually.
Well then, I guess that means my plan has to wait for another few hours~  :3
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:08:05 PM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:02 PM »
Arrr, dammit. Seems Birthday Powers are invoked depending on the server time, not local time...

More like "whenever someone reminds the mods", which can happen pretty damn late, early, or never. :V

Also I keep messing up this new "approve posts" thing and I accidentally unapproved Sakana's post up there, I think. >_______>

Anyways, there's your Koa. >:<

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »
Wait wait wait I was not informed of this Patchouli Day until just recently so give me a moment :<

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 02:16:50 AM »
It's still the third for me :x

(First few stories I've been assigned have been read and summarized on my list, I've got a running document going. Still have like 4~5 to go - believe it or not, but I haven't read any of the stories on my list yet.)

Quote from: CHAOS
Sadly, I don't think the Super Librarian Rangers will last past that. >:

Spoiler:
BITCH
WHAT you know I'm sticking around for like... ever.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:11:10 AM by Esifex »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 06:55:15 AM »
More like "whenever someone reminds the mods", which can happen pretty damn late, early, or never. :V
Oh? I thought it was automatic. So you guys have to do that by hand, man, that must be a lot of work with all the members here.

Also, thanks everyone for following through with the Patchy's (and Koa)  :D
Seems SenSageUn is the only one I wil have to force  ;D

EDIT: Done, two innocent victims have been confirmed to have been hit as well  ;D

EDIT2: Two more innocent victims.
Oh, and just to assure everyone I've screwed around with: I've saved you previous avatars beforehand, so if you dont have them anymore when you want to change back, ask me.

And I will definitely start summarizing today, can't stand behind when everyone is working so hard.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:42:29 AM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »