Author Topic: Sorta done with IN for the time being, what's the next logic step?  (Read 3984 times)

Greetings.

I'm pretty much done with IN, given my current skills anyway. 198/222 spellcards done, including all last words apart from reimu's, can more or less comfortably 1cc hard with border team, haven't really got used to any of the other teams.

So question is, should I keep trying to improve on IN, maybe giving the other teams a shot, or move to another game, and if so, which one?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Sorta done with IN for the time being, what's the next logic step?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »
If you can comfortably clear hard, go for lunatic.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Beat all the other games in Hard mode difficulty. Then start practicing Lunatic in order to improve yourself and go for a 1CC once you feel ready for it.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:24 PM »
Unless you really want to, don't play Touhou games for scoring. Because scoring is very tedious and takes a lot of effort and memorization. It's just a completely different ballpark, and frankly, it's probably more impressive to get through the entire game with minimal bombs or dying.

Trying other teams might be a good experience, but in all honesty probably not worth your effort if you're not interested. You're essentially playing the same game over again, just with a slightly different feel/strategy. Don't do this unless you're interested.

Now that you can clear Hard quite easily, you have a choice. You can try going for Lunatic, or switch to a different game. Lunatic is essentially the same as Hard except for a higher difficulty, so if want to play some new stages and bosses there's really no reason to keep playing IN.

As for which games to switch to, here are my suggestions:
EoSD: Going back in time might be slightly disappointing because of the overall quality, but this game certainly not a piece of cake. Not a bad choice, but you might have some difficulty with it initially, especially without a hitbox.
PCB: This is the "essence" of Touhou, so if you haven't played this I would recommend it. It's very bright and fresh, as opposed to IN's darker atmosphere. Maybe not as hard as PCB for stages 1-3, but 4-6 is debatable, depending on how you play. Good choice here.
MoF: This would be going to the next game, and in my honest opinion, probably your best choice. It's very refreshing compared to IN, and the patterns are very purist, as opposed to IN's synthetic feeling cards. You'll definitely have to input some effort into this, as there is more dodging involved. Highly recommended.
SA: If you enjoy the dark atmosphere feel of IN, SA is the closest you can get. SA pulls a lot of new gimmicks not found in earlier games, which is difficult for beginners, not someone as seasoned as you. It's also relatively tricky, possibly harder than the others, and the spell cards are quite creative in comparison to the rest of the series. Next best choice to MoF.
*StB: I could give a review of StB and tell you if it's a good choice to switch, but in all honesty I think StB should be a supplement to any other Touhou game you would play, as it's nothing but spell cards. It's great for practicing and getting better overall... for the first few levels anyways. The last levels start to get more and more BS, but still a good game nontheless. Recommended in addition to whatever other game you pick.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:33:33 PM by stargroup »

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Thanks for all the answers.

Ended up going with EOSD, not having the boss marker at the bottom of the screen will probably help me on the other games as I'll be able to predict far more bullets since I'll be used to tracking the boss.

Easily 1cc'd normal with marisaA, but hard seems to be a HUGE step up, time to whore practice :P