Author Topic: PCB Hard Mode help  (Read 3802 times)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
PCB Hard Mode help
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
Alright, everything goes fine until stage 5 comes along, see. The Prismriver Sisters aren't a nightmare for me anymore, but Youmu sure as hell is. So, here's my questions.

1) About the Prismriver Sisters - one of them has a solo attack that involves nondirectional-laser-style music notes that explode into spread bullets. This has to just be pure dodging, right? I suck at it.

2) Anyway, Youmu. Umm, each normal attack will still kill me(or force me to bomb) about 70% of the time, but those are really just dodging dense barrages. But seriously, I can't capture any of her spellcards consistently. If you guys have any tips for anything regarding Youmu, that would be great.

For the midboss spellcard, I'm getting better at it, but it's still hard as hell to spot a path through sometimes. Sometimes, it'll be plain as day, though.

Her first spellcard as the boss, the one where she breaks all the big bullets, is pretty much the same. IMO it's not as hard as the midboss one though, and I can sometimes handle it.

The one they added for Hard and Lunatic mode is really annoying as well. How do I balance being under her and getting the fuck OUT from under her to stream through horizontally firing bullets.

The streaming one with bullets firing from the bottom still gets me a lot of the time even though I know it shouldn't, that probably just needs more practice. I basically just stream, even though she's jumping around. The problem is, it takes forever to kill her and I'm bound to screw up at some point. I can usually feint fine, but the question is when to do so.

Her final spellcard is pure dodging though, right? The key to my success was finding an open path and NOT being focused while I get through them. Blech.

Anyway, I suck at this stage. Not even Yuyuko gives me this much trouble, but I think that might be because a lot of her cards are slower and I am better at bombing them or something. (Even so, I can still capture two of her cards consistently, unlike Youmu)

Help would be appreciated ;x I also tried finding replays, but if someone could point me towards a good one, that would be great...

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Re: PCB Hard Mode help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I'll help with what I can. I'm not very good at Youmu either, though.

Alright, everything goes fine until stage 5 comes along, see. The Prismriver Sisters aren't a nightmare for me anymore, but Youmu sure as hell is. So, here's my questions.

1) About the Prismriver Sisters - one of them has a solo attack that involves nondirectional-laser-style music notes that explode into spread bullets. This has to just be pure dodging, right? I suck at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QQZPVGG9J8
Do you mean this?
I try to damage Lyrica (the red one) as much as possible during their first trio spellcard, as her solo performance is quite easy.

2) Anyway, Youmu. Umm, each normal attack will still kill me(or force me to bomb) about 70% of the time, but those are really just dodging dense barrages. But seriously, I can't capture any of her spellcards consistently. If you guys have any tips for anything regarding Youmu, that would be great.

You can misdirect those giant mazes of bullets she fires at you in her first non-card of all 3 fights (inadvisable to do it on her stage 6 fight though).
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=2744

I don't handle things particularly well in that replay, but you get the general idea for how to do it. (also includes hilarious border luck)
You can just move down, rather than across and down, after she fires the maze. (you'll understand when you watch the replay)

For the midboss spellcard, I'm getting better at it, but it's still hard as hell to spot a path through sometimes. Sometimes, it'll be plain as day, though.

Her first spellcard as the boss, the one where she breaks all the big bullets, is pretty much the same. IMO it's not as hard as the midboss one though, and I can sometimes handle it.

Both of these are pure dodging skill, and both are very very hard.

The one they added for Hard and Lunatic mode is really annoying as well. How do I balance being under her and getting the fuck OUT from under her to stream through horizontally firing bullets.

What I try to do is stay just slightly to one side as she gathers the bullets, move far away during the slowdown, then move back to dodge the stream. When you move from side to side, try to position yourself vertically so that none of the bullets coming at you will hit you (the slowdown helps with this), then focus on the other colour and move with them.
Maybe someone else has a better method.

The streaming one with bullets firing from the bottom still gets me a lot of the time even though I know it shouldn't, that probably just needs more practice. I basically just stream, even though she's jumping around. The problem is, it takes forever to kill her and I'm bound to screw up at some point. I can usually feint fine, but the question is when to do so.

Stay about 2/3 down the screen, it doesn't make dodging the 'rain' any harder, but it makes feinting much easier. Stream as slowly as possible... I can often finish it without even coming close to needing to feint. (then again, I use Reimu A)

Her final spellcard is pure dodging though, right? The key to my success was finding an open path and NOT being focused while I get through them. Blech.

Yep. Sometimes you get what feels like a solid wall - if you do, read everything and find a place where the general direction of the bullet clumps won't hit you, sometimes they all miss with space to spare. If things look too scary, just bomb it, it dies quite fast.
Advocate of Transhumanism

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
original post from baitySM from the old forums...

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=2620 (new one  >_>)

The spellcards...

Gaki Sword "Storybook of the Gaki Realm" (Mid-boss spellcard)

It's just a matter of weaving "through" the wall of bullets. I recommend doing this from the center, since you can just use Misdirection to guide a fair amount of bullets towards Youmu. Weaving through from below her is not recommended (for me anyways), since every time I tried, it never worked. I misread the first wave in the replay, but managed the other ones successfully.

Hell Flame Sword "Flashing Slash Formation as Karma Gust" (First Boss spellcard)

There is no general advice, save from trying to dodge through the bullets as quick as you can while slowdown comes into play. Try unfocusing as well, as it really does help move quickly through the slowdown. Most of the time, I would just bomb when I see an (somewhat) impissible wall.

Asura Sword "Obsession with the Present World" (Second Boss spellcard)

Not much to say about this. It's a combination of streaming and sideways dodging. The giant white line of doom is non-lethal. Stay closer to the bottom too I might add, but not completely at the bottom.

Human Era Sword "Approaching Disillusion" (Third Boss spellcard)

If you're feeling confident about manipulating your Misdirection, you can end this card before reaching the "other" side of the screen. If not, you try to stream the centre (center) beam in front of you, and reverse the directions.

Deva Realm Sword "Displeasure of the Seven Sins" (Fourth and final Boss spellcard)

I got unlucky. So I timed it out; it helps you learn. Similar to the First Boss spellcard, it's a matter of going through the wall of bullets. There are times (and places) where the bullet density becomes ridiculously heavy or light; I've yet to find any pattern or method to manipulate this. It might be possible to read the pattern, and find the best way to weave through the bullets.

The stage itself, I've simplified the best I can now. The bombing at the midboss section was for the border. Because I am a cowardly player who relies on their borders to save them Actually, it's because of my horrible bombing reaction as you may (or may not have) noticed.

also

Help would be appreciated ;x I also tried finding replays, but if someone could point me towards a good one, that would be great...

there is a replay of stage5 on the start of the quote by baitySM which helped a lot when i jumped on hard mode and i even use some of the tricks now.
after i went on lunatic i started to study/watch superplay replays which contains amazing tricks and staff ... the problem is that some of them are just too much...
i dont suggest to watch any of those untill u can 1cc hard quite some times.
anyway in case u might want to lose all sanity here

btw what char u use? those replays are sakuyaB (the one i use)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:02:32 PM by ghost333 »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
Once you get to Noise, start at the far right side and stream it until you get to the middle. Around there, there'll be a break, to which you should rush back to the side. This means Merlin (sorry) gets damaged the most, and her next noncard is a cakewalk and entirely just inching over. Her card is really easy too.

A lol moment I always have in Stage 5 is that after Youmu as a midboss, you can stay in one spot during the massive red-blue vomit and not get hit.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:01:03 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
ffffffffffff THAT'S how the game chooses which solo performance to pick?! I thought that depended on your character. Wow, I fail. Didn't think I had a choice.

Anyway, thanks for the replays and advice, guys, they all helped. I didn't know you could misdirect Youmu's bullet spam like that, neat trick. Also, I've been using Marisa A, so I don't have the benefit of angled bullets, but this should all help a lot.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality