Author Topic: Phantasm Romance or Concealed the Conclusion - which one is better?  (Read 5364 times)

KomeijiKoishi

The title says it all.

In my opinion, CtC is a little bit better gameplay-wise, but PR feels more like a dream you will never believe. It has a greater influence on my. The music fits perfectly and the danmaku is astonishing.

Point goes to PR.

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
Re: Phantasm Romance or Concealed the Conclusion - which one is better?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
I sort of second your opinion of "PR has better (read: more innovative) Danmaku, but CtC is a better game."

CtC has far more polish, and is actually in traditional Touhou game format rather than a set of stages with branching paths and an absolutely absurd difficulty level. I also like CtCs music better on a whole, because half of PR's is MIDI is extremely meh, and some of the songs in it are just outright awful (Stage 3 Stage and Boss) or very low quality recordings (Yukari Boss, Sakuya Boss). That said, because CtC aimed to be a bit more traditional, PR's danmaku is a lot more creative and amazing to look at, since it's very obviously supposed to be a big load of eye-candy.

Overall, my vote goes to CtC though.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't really say it's fair to compare them because they weren't trying to do the same thing.

CtC is a game with a lot of content and polish, but PR I think was just an instance of some particularly skilled bro sitting down and saying "TIME TO MAKE SOME GODDAMN DANMAKU."

CtC is meant to provoke an emotional response, while PR goes for a visceral one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:34:11 PM by Stuffman »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:17:36 PM »
above post +

CtC, though.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
ctc gives errors during install. can anyone tell how to fix/upload the files directly?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
CtC needs a lot of files in a lot of different places. You need the base lib folder, which should contain the FLAN and THCCL folders, you need the THC_MARISA files in the player folder, and of course the main game scripts in thC under scripts.

Full paths:
..\th_dnh\lib\FLAN
..\th_dnh\lib\THCCL
..\th_dnh\player\THC_MARISA
..\th_dnh\script\thC

If you have all of that you should be able to run CtC from the Stage menu.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »
sorry for bumping this thread, but there aren't much threads about Phantasm Romance anyways. I do prefer Phantasm Romance, because it feels more arcade-ish (the stages require more movement from the player than Touhou games usually require, you don't micrododge attacks as often, and the pacing was quicker in PR), and has tweaked the Touhou formula (PR doesn't have collision detection on the fairies, the counterbomb time is IN-like, as to compensate for the game's difficulty, and the scoring system is simple, straightforward, and doesn't involve grazing or raising the value of point items). Also, not only are the patterns amazing to watch as you play through them, but dodging them as well would feel like if a newcomer tried to dodge Touhou patterns for the first times.

Also, the design effort put on maze stages, and the boss rush on EX4 before the final boss, and that boss herself.. the patterns are more awesome to watch and to dodge in PR than in CtC, imho.

Speaking of CtC, from someone who can't ignore scoring potential, having to graze and milk midbosses and bosses for points become a chore after a while. Sometimes, I'd get bored and just want this game to be over as soon as possible. (and my complaint about grazing is mostly that it requires execution for taking greater risks for increasing rewards which aren't fair enough to justify a needlessly lost life. Also, grazing sometimes implies memorization and strict paths, which help make an inflexible gameplay, depending on how it's implemented -- and that may explain the feeling that I'm doing a chore, whenever I have to sit and graze Meiling's patterns or the larger fairies' streams from SA's first stage. Grazing can be made a fun element, but most of the times, that won't be the case for either Touhou or CtC..)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.