Author Topic: Creating a website for Danmakufu  (Read 36423 times)

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
Re: Creating a website for Danmakufu
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
I end up with kind of Blog theme like this

Main / Home
show 2 random project title screen - some info and BF news update?

Project manage page

new / edit project

show selected project

search result............ :'(

layout only, I'm bad at design too oTL~

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
What you got isn't bad for someone that doesn't know what's supposed to be on what page. :V

I was waiting for someone to go "I'll do it" so I could send a private message with what page has what features. That way, he could do the layout and then design with those in mind, unlike how you did it. Strangely, though, you got most of the features already, but a lot of what you drew won't really work unless I redo the way my website flows because some stuff don't even exist on the pages, and some stuff is missing.

If you're interested in helping with the layout, I can send over the information, and you can just send it back when you have something. I know you said you can't do design, but if I can get the layout done, I think I might have someone else who can do the design.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
God I wish I could help with this, Does the design have to be hand made? Cause if it is I can have my Sister draw something up for it.

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
    • Viewmix
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
:V
Sorry for my misunderstand.

To be honest, I interested.
May I ask, design must be done in example webpage or image file?

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:13 AM »
God I wish I could help with this, Does the design have to be hand made? Cause if it is I can have my Sister draw something up for it.
:V
Sorry for my misunderstand.

To be honest, I interested.
May I ask, design must be done in example webpage or image file?

Yay! People are offering help!  :V

Demonbman, layout is required first before we can add design to it. If you're sister feels like organizing information like Nimble was doing in his last post, then go ahead and send whatever the heck you want. As long as I get a general idea, it doesn't matter what format you send it to me in.

Nimble, I'll be sending over the information in a bit. How you decide to show me your design is up to you. Just use whatever is easier for you.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »
(RIP shoot the core :( )
Weren't they the guys who laughed at us for having waifu threads? :V

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:49 AM »
Weren't they the guys who laughed at us for having waifu threads? :V

iirc I've seen the link of that thread on the shmups.org forums :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
You know what? I actually just found an interesting article on web design and I'm gonna try to do this on my own again for now. If it turns out to be harder than I thought, then I'll ask for help again.

Also my brother is telling me about 5 billion things I should do for the site instead of what I'm currently doing and I'm getting really annoyed at him.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »
Hey there, I recently got word from Choja that you are looking for someone to design a website for Danmakufu material.

Based on the information you explained here, it sounds like you'll likely need a site that can support a database. Reason I say this is because your going to need a way to manage those files that you'll need to have people upload onto the server.

I wanted to let you know that I'm a graduate who studies graphic design and web design at my college and have a good understanding of it in my field and know PHP and mySQL and thus have been freelancing for over 2 years now. So if needed. I'm willing to help, but I do have to inform you that I do have clients that come in looking for me to design stuff and pay for my work so when things like that come up I tend to take priority on those.

If you been around, you may have noticed some things I had put together for the Shrine Maiden website (that I'm still waiting for TSO to show any sign of actually putting it together) doing the layout and designs along with some banner work for the community.

As of right now, I have my hands a little busy with with a project I am doing thus I am not free as of yet. And you say your going to attempt to design the site yourself. But if you ever decide you need my assistance or want to look over my work, drop me a line and I'll talk to you about it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:54:58 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
For the layout, it'd probably be best if you just worried about where things go on the page.  Colors, etc can be done later, as like Totaku said there's already an existing design for the front page I need to implement so I may end up modifying it anyways to make a unified look.

Also, tell me what you need rails/software wise so I can start setting it up.  I'm also going to use ruby for the frontpage so I'm just going to kill two birds with one stone and get them both working.

Totaku: nothing against you I just haven't had the time to properly sit down and work on it.  I greatly appreciate the work you've done.  Your layout also requires me to build a corresponding forum layout, and that has to wait until I get the whole RC2 upgrade fixed and ready.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:35 AM »
Obviously I'm going to need Ruby. Then, RubyGems will be needed to easily manage all those plugins, or gems, for Ruby, which includes Rails. Because Rails is pretty smart, if I configured the environment.rb file correctly, which I'm pretty sure I did or the damn thing wouldn't work, the command "rake gems:install" will automatically try to install every gem that the website needs to run.

About layout, I'm having trouble even with this. There's just too much stuff to put on one page when I'm trying to display the script's details to make it look organized. I'll see what happens after a few more PMs back and forth.

EDIT: Oh right. Rails v2.3.5. I'm pretty sure 2.3.x will work, but just do 2.3.5 to be safe.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:43:43 AM by Blargel »

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:42 AM »
If this is in HTML I can help out alot, now that my teacher has ordered special books for me for my Computer Buisness Applications Class

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
Obviously I'm going to need Ruby. Then, RubyGems will be needed to easily manage all those plugins, or gems, for Ruby, which includes Rails. Because Rails is pretty smart, if I configured the environment.rb file correctly, which I'm pretty sure I did or the damn thing wouldn't work, the command "rake gems:install" will automatically try to install every gem that the website needs to run.

About layout, I'm having trouble even with this. There's just too much stuff to put on one page when I'm trying to display the script's details to make it look organized. I'll see what happens after a few more PMs back and forth.

EDIT: Oh right. Rails v2.3.5. I'm pretty sure 2.3.x will work, but just do 2.3.5 to be safe.

No specific version of Ruby?  I'll install 1.9 if that's the case.

I'll setup an SSH login for you to upload files and test things locally.  What I will need from you is an SSH public key.  Use PuTTYGen to make a 4096-bit SSH-2 RSA key, and PM me the public key it spits out.

Once you have everything setup locally and it works to your satisfaction I'll worry about setting up lighttpd and fastcgi and such for the final production setup.  As for layout I can take a crack at it and setup a default one if you have an idea of what information you want to be displayed.

Oh and I am going to setup a single sign on system linking BulletForge logins to forums and soforth.  But I won't delay your site for that, so for now I will leave it as is with what you have.  When I do have the SSO setup I will migrate permissions and accounts as necessary.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:02:22 AM by TheStupidOne »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
So yeah. I put it up on my own server because TSO wasn't responding. I'm making this available as a beta right now so people can find bugs that I need to iron out. There are a few bugs that I'm already aware of, mainly related to the uploading. My brother and I will be working on the upload to make it work correctly as soon as possible, but from what I can gather, it might be hard. If you get an error during uploading, try again in a few minutes (but not immediately cause chances are it won't work still). Another known problem is that comment creation doesn't work. (I swear to god I'm gonna kill myself while trying to fix the comments... they just refuse to freaking work.)

Anyways, here's the BulletForge beta website.

Keep in mind that this is a beta with no design and terrible layout. Suggestions on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated, but no feature requests please. Not until I get the current issues fixed at least.

EDIT: Oh yes, for you paranoid people, please turn on Javascript. The search button and uploading depends on it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:03:27 PM by Blargel »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
the BulletForge beta website

YES!!

I'm registering RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: I registered. Or did you want to wait until everything is finished?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:10:17 PM by Always Mew⑨ »

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
    • Viewmix
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
After short playing around.

Deadly, serious or critical bug found. I've send bug report to you via pm.

Minor bug, after uploading I got this :3

However, the file is uploading complete well.

Oh, one project can have 4 images. But only one display in search/feature new project and the rest of them leave in shadow.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:15:38 PM by Nimble »

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks for testing. The bug you reported via PM is pretty strange. It seems my authorization code isn't working as well as I thought it would be. The second bug isn't really a bug. I used someone else's code that uses flash to determine upload progress and you need to allow flash to access my site. And lastly, yes only the first image matters. I haven't added the Javascript thingy to show all 4 on the page.

EDIT:
Authroization filtering is working correctly now. Previously, Nimble notified me that it was possible to edit someone else's user profile, project details, or version details by editing the url. Commenting seems to be working correctly now to so go nuts with that. I noticed another strange issue though where you can vote on your own projects. A little strange but it's not going to break the website at least. Just a minor issue
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:56:27 AM by Blargel »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 05:08:28 AM »
So yeah. I put it up on my own server because TSO wasn't responding. I'm making this available as a beta right now so people can find bugs that I need to iron out. There are a few bugs that I'm already aware of, mainly related to the uploading. My brother and I will be working on the upload to make it work correctly as soon as possible, but from what I can gather, it might be hard. If you get an error during uploading, try again in a few minutes (but not immediately cause chances are it won't work still). Another known problem is that comment creation doesn't work. (I swear to god I'm gonna kill myself while trying to fix the comments... they just refuse to freaking work.)

Wasn't ignoring you, just haven't had the time to setup Ruby and stuff on SM.org.  Sorry about that, will try to do it this week (if I get a free moment at work :|).

Believe me, your PM has been staring at me for a week now and I feel bad about not doing anything with it :\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:10:51 AM by Yagami Hayate »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 05:19:18 AM »
Blargel: check your PMs.  Ruby 1.8 and rubygems are on triela and your login has been setup.  Give me a poke once you're in place and I'll get lighttpd and stuff setup and give you a database user/pass.  All I've installed is Ruby 1.8 and gems so if anything's missing you can't install definitely let me know.

Really sorry for the delays, please forgive me :ohdear:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:20:57 AM by Yagami Hayate »

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
Wasn't ignoring you, just haven't had the time to setup Ruby and stuff on SM.org.  Sorry about that, will try to do it this week (if I get a free moment at work :|).

Believe me, your PM has been staring at me for a week now and I feel bad about not doing anything with it :\
Blargel: check your PMs.  Ruby 1.8 and rubygems are on triela and your login has been setup.  Give me a poke once you're in place and I'll get lighttpd and stuff setup and give you a database user/pass.  All I've installed is Ruby 1.8 and gems so if anything's missing you can't install definitely let me know.

Really sorry for the delays, please forgive me :ohdear:

Oh boy. I'm not sure what to say...

As you can see I have it running on my own server and I got my own domain. I wasn't sure if you were doing anything with my SSH key or not so I waited a bit and then just deployed it somewhere else. What's even funnier is how my brother hooked me up with a full year on the server and two years with the bulletforge.org domain... it'd be a waste not to use it. Really sorry about making you install and set up all that stuff. Maybe in a year?  :ohdear:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »
How long have you had the server?  Most places let you cancel within 30 days.  As for the domain you can keep using it, just have to change the IP it points to.  But it's totally up to you, my fault for not having the time to take care of things :\

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
How long have you had the server?  Most places let you cancel within 30 days.  As for the domain you can keep using it, just have to change the IP it points to.  But it's totally up to you, my fault for not having the time to take care of things :\

The server is my brother's for a site that isn't very successful so there's a lot of room and resources for BulletForge. I'm not sure if he's able to cancel right now, but you know...
Truthfully, now that I have it working on this one, I'd hate to tinker with yours to get it working again even if at most it would only take an hour or so.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Whatever you want to do.  I apologize for my delays :(

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »
Alright so the beta is up, but there's only 8 projects hosted on it? Well obviously scripts take a while to make, but I was hoping for more activity than this...

Well anyway, I've gotten a few bug reports and the bugs have been fixed. Besides the bugs, is there anything anyone can think of to improve this?

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2010, 02:59:37 AM »
Besides the bugs, is there anything anyone can think of to improve this?

Pretty it up. Needs more graphics and less text.

Also, to answer you inevitable response: MSPaint, man up.

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
Well I am sorry I actually uploaded a dead/"no real working on" Project.
Right now my friend and I already decided who takes care of what, but I don?t think I will be able to update anything soon.

Btw... I messed up my name when I registered.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »
You can change your name if you can manage to navigate your way to the user edit page. :V

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
You can change your name if you can manage to navigate your way to the user edit page. :V

Went to the edit page, I was only able to change password and Email :yukkuri:

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Oh... hmm... Forgot I can only make admins change it (aka me). What do you want your name to be then?

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »
Oh... hmm... Forgot I can only make admins change it (aka me). What do you want your name to be then?

The same as my Username here... that?s what I wanted to put it. (I noticed that I forgot the "u" in the name when I wanted to log in)