Author Topic: Creating a website for Danmakufu  (Read 36465 times)

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
Creating a website for Danmakufu
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
I ran out of stuff to do at work ( :V ) and thought that I needed something to do to look like I'm still working and deserve to be paid. I thought maybe making a website would be a good use of my time since I can definitely improve on that.

That said, someone suggested that I should make a site similar to YouTube for Danmakufu, but instead of videos, you upload rars of your scripts. Then, other people can download them, rate them and leave comments. I was thinking maybe you can embed a video of a YouTube video if you have one, upload screenshots of the script (maybe to a different site like Flickr and you give the image url to a form when editing description, title, and whatever -- save some hosting space for the actual scripts :V). On top of comments and ratings, I can probably find a good way to organize replays for specific scripts too. There would also be a tagging and search system to make it easier to find stuff. Your account page will, of course, hold all your scripts and replays which you can delete and edit and other people can view to see all your uploads.

I can add a bunch of other stuff too once the basic functionality is working (though depending on the complexity of it, it may take a while), but before I start, I just wanted to know if anyone would even use it. I think with a search feature, tagging, usernames, ratings, comments, and replay uploads, it would make organizing all of our scripts much easier and old scripts won't get lost in a backlog of forum posts (or giant pages of lists on a wiki).

What do you guys think?
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
Re: Creating a website for Danmakufu
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
This would be very useful, but considering how many people actually use danmakufu... I doubt if it'll be used that much... lately, nothing much get's released by people anymore (although this might motivate some to)... overall it's really a good idea for the convenience of everyone... but is it really THAT worth it? (I'd gladly use it btw, but I haven't even posted anything yet, other than my zodiac extra stage... even though I have tons of danmakufu stuff in this computer)

*just expressing my honest opinion*
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:07:00 PM by Kylesky »
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
So it's a good idea, but totally not worth spending time over? Well, my primary objective is to gain experience and level up in web development. If the website flops, oh well. If it goes well, yay! Of course I'm not gonna make the website if everyone says it's a bad idea, but if there's some general interest that outweighs the negative possibilities, I'll give it shot.

Also, I just realized I don't have a domain or even a name picked out. And I'm utter fail at design. Oh well, design and a name is the least of my worries.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
saying once and only once: do want

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
This sounds like an interesting idea. It'd be nice to have hosting for scripts that isn't Mediafire or whatever, if nothing else. We could start by populating it with everything we've made so far, single spells, game betas, contest entries, things like that.

It should also be possible to add support for Musuu and...whatever your STG maker is named when those come out, right?

This could potentially be a bandwidth heavy site though, can you afford the hosting on something like this if it gets popular?

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
Of course support for Musuu and "whatever the other STG maker is called" (maybe I should name it that :V)  will be added when they come out. At the moment, I'm not too sure how that's gonna be organized, but we'll cross that hurdle when we get there. As for potential bandwidth problems, I'll start off by having a small button somewhere asking for donations to help out costs. If I start being unable to cover the leftover cost, you may start seeing ads on the site.

Or I can make you pay for premium accounts lololololol

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
Well, it a good idea and I glad to see when it done.

One thing I worry is about hosting BW / space. If the scripts have some resource, song / image - they'll become larger and larger in size.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
Well, I've seen sites like this; ( *shameless advetizing* ) And I think that it's a good idea. Because, even if there aren't many people who Danmakufu, the site may attract some new folks. Either way, it can't hurt us.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:21 AM »
Definitely. I had this idea before (which is what led to the creation of this section), but a full website would be much better. If space is an issue, then you can just have the files hosted off-site, which is perfectly fine.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »
Two words:
DO. IT.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:39:56 AM »
Okay, I guess I'll get started on this then. I'll worry about bandwidth and hosting space when I need to.

In the meantime, anyone got a name? I was thinking DANMAKOEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOEEEE, but i dont think that domain name will be very easy to remember. :V

EDIT: I'd like something that's not taken by another thing already that would be easy to remember. A corresponding domain name that hasn't been taken yet is a plus too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:43:18 AM by Blargel »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Your biggest problem here would be bandwith and hosting indeed. As we all know, nothing comes for free in this world ( NOTHING ).

So I am curious how you are going to handle the payment because aside from donations I don't see how you are going to pay it ( unless you are rich with nine zeros behind your bank account ).

Maybe ask a redirection url from Motk so it becomes like: dnh.shrinemaiden.org - or something?

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
I doubt anyone really cares enough to figure out what the hell this is if they don't know already, but here: have a git repository tracking my progress.

Now, seriously, someone start throwing names at me so we have something to call it. Calling it "danmaku_site" isn't so creative.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Danmakutube?

Nah we can do better than that...

PHANTASMAGORIA OF DANMAKU VIEW?

...Somebody else do this :|

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
LetsDoSomeFuckingDanmaku.com/net/whatever

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
danmakoefoe.com

th_dnhdb.com

danmakufudb.com

danmakufustuff.com

danmakufuthings.com

:V

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »
danmakufumaiden  dmfmaiden

danmakufugensokyo dmfgensokyo

danmakufuestate dmfestate

...well, I tried, whatever...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
If this'll support other STG maker, may be can't stick with danmakufu?

danmaku heaven ..... sound like adult
border of bullet and creation ..... too long . BoBaC !?
create the bullet ..... what bullet?
create the danmaku ..... .....
danmaku realm ..... ..... .....

brofit addict :V

I'm bad at name too oTL~ (Dictionary == my best friend when I need a name for something.)

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
Danmakungfoo

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
Touhou Danmakufu: Genesis of an Oriental Paradise

What? :V

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
You all fail at naming sense. Except possibly Zengar/Naut. Get rid of the Fucking and it might actually work: LetsDoSomeDanmaku.com. Thinking on a similar line, HaveSomeBullets.com sounds kinda funny.

EDIT: Funnily enough, if I wanted to abbreviate LetsDoSomeDanmaku, unfortunately, ldsd.com/net/org is already taken. However, ldsfd.com is available. How great would it be if the domain was ldsfd.com but the banner at the top just said Let's Do Some Danmaku? Let everyone figure out what's missing :V
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:44:11 PM by Blargel »

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
danmaku realm ..... ..... .....

I though about that as a name...but then I figured it was already used...or I don't know...

Letsdanmaku.com
Letsalldanmaku.com
Danmakuresort.com(?...)

I'll stop now...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »
I though about that as a name...but then I figured it was already used...or I don't know...

Letsdanmaku.com
Letsalldanmaku.com
Danmakuresort.com(?...)

I'll stop now...

justmakethatdanmaku.com makesomefuckingdanmaku.com :V
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:34:56 PM by Always 無⑨ »

Drake

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
Would LetsMakeSomeDanmaku/lmsd work?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
Danmaku-Dojo?

As for the content of the site, having a good rating system for uploads would be important. I'm thinking of splitting it in various categories (pattern-quality, presentation, etc.) and divide between public rating and mod-rating. It would be neccessary, since, as anyone who browses public uploads like youtube videos or MUGEN files knows, a large percentage of the visitors will give unreasonable ratings. You upload a really crappily done amv to some random Linkin Park song? Why, I like LP, 5 stars! You upload a b0rked Naruto character with glitched graphics and undodgable one-hit-kills? Why, I like Naruto, 5 stars! Suikama uploads his dead-simple contest entry? Why, that was funny, the script gets 5 stars!

(No offense, Suikama, but I think you'll agree that, while hilarious, your entry does not have any danmaku that is fun to dodge.)  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Nuclear Cheese

• Relax and enjoy the danmaku.
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
I like this idea.

Expending on what Iryan posted, there should definitely be certain categories that should be applicable for uploads.

First and foremost, the game engine the script is for.  People need to know whether "OMGt3hDanmeku111" is going to burn their eyes out in Danmakufu, Musuu, or The Blargel Siblings' Danmaku Engine :V

Second, I think an overall categorization of the type of script should be had.  This would mainly distinguish the general characteristics of the script (for instance, 'joke', 'full game', 'single pattern', 'contest').  This would probably be best done as a tag system, such that multiple ones could be assigned to each upload (for instance, Suikama's YOU ARE DEAD hilarity could be found by searching 'joke' and 'contest' ... or something like that).

Also, another detail to consider - will updated versions of scripts be uploaded as new entries, or as updates to old entries?  I think the latter is better, but that could just be me.

hmm ... with that, perhaps I could get Musuu to interface with the site and allow users to search it conveniently from within the program itself.  Perhaps even automatically check for updates on scripts and notify the player.  Certainly would be a very-far-down-the-road-low-priority feature, but I can brainstorm, right? :D

And, to add to the pool of crappy name suggestions:
danmakudreams.com/org/net

... but what the hell do I know about naming websites?
to quote Naut:
"I can see the background, there are too many safespots."
:V

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 04:38:58 AM »
This is probably out there, but it would be cool if there was a script creator program that generates text files based on user input for people who don't know how to code. Like have a javascript program will buttons and menus and stuff and you choose what types of patterns spawn at what intervels and stuff. It would be really time consuming to make, but quite awesome and be a great way to get other people to use danmakufu (even if they aren't really 'using' it :V)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:31:18 AM »
You all fail at naming sense. Except possibly Zengar/Naut.

Hey hey hey hey D: that hurts.  dnh.shrinemaiden.org  was pretty neutral and simple.   :|

Die Blargel ! RED THE NIGHTLESS CASTLE

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
Iryan:
Yes, that's a good idea. However, which voting categories is a good question.

For example, if I make the categories visuals, sound, and design, then would it be fair for some scripts to have a lower overall score because their focus wasn't visuals or sound (or design?). I'll need to think this over (or again, people can make suggestions).

Nuclear Cheese:
I was thinking the categories would be Single, Plural, Stage, Player, and Full Game. Then, in another drop down box, you would select which engine the script is for. Last, you can write in extra tags yourself to specify if it's a joke, contest entry, or whatever else would be relevant.

Suikama:
That idea is doable, but not by me. I'm making a WEBSITE, not a PROGRAM.
Bribe NC to do it with five bucks, maybe

EDIT:
Nuclear Cheese:
Forgot to address the updated scripts part. I believe it should depend on the user. If you want to update your upload, go for it. If you want to make a new upload so you have some sort of versioning history, that's fine too. Of course, please be reasonable if you're going to be uploading new scripts instead of updating the old ones. I don't want to see a 30 versions of the same script whose only difference is a minor tweak. Make it a big update every time.

Helepolis:
Me want own domain. D:
And also wouldn't dnh.shrinemaiden.org get kinda confused with dmf.shrinemainden.org?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:15:16 AM by Blargel »

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
www.starthelepolis.com

It's catchy.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!