Author Topic: Another odd idea: The Legend of Touhou  (Read 17474 times)

Valentinya

• Does not play well with others
Re: Another odd idea: The Legend of Touhou
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:12 AM »
Damn, we've been beaten to it :( And I really hoped Youmu would be Link. On the other hand, Sakuya and Reisen with shades look badass.

It looks like a pretty awesome game but technically they haven't beaten you to it. It looks like a Zelda style game and you're thinking of a LTTP hack so not the same idea. You should still definitely go through with the original idea!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:48:48 AM by Kalencia »

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 04:47:19 AM »

It looks like a pretty awesome game but technically they haven't beaten you to it. It looks like a Zelda style game and you're thinking of a LTTP hack so not the same idea. You should still definitely go through with the original idea!  ;D
Especially if you are playing as Youmu. There needs to be a game starring her.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Valentinya

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »
Another fine candidate for Ganon is Nue. Trident? Check. Has been sealed up for ages? Check. Is in reality a humongous monster? Check. Frequently fights you throughout the games in disguises/with clones? Triple check!

Letty is also often depicted with a trident and she's as fat as a pig.

Assuming it's going to be ALttP style, we can also start figuring out the bosses!

Aghanim: Either orb form Nue if Nue is Ganon, or Maribel/Luize if Yukari is Ganon.

Blind the Thief: Remilia. Expected Marisa didn't you? Remilia's probably the beter choice because of her and Blind's hatred of sunlight. When you find her, she's still small Remilia, but once you get in the sunlight room, WHAM! Huge Remilia who splitst up into bats whenever you hit her before the body regenerates.

Don't know anyone yet for Mothula (Wriggle's already Moldorm) or Armos Knights.

I personally think Nue would make the better Ganon. If Nue is Ganon then I think Byakuren would fit better as Aghanim since she is a magician after all.

As for Mothula it would have to be a character who has wings. Like either Utsuho or Mystia would be good candidates. I'm really liking the idea of using Mystia though since if we go with her then the entire boss room could be dark like this:

Perhaps seven of the final bosses can be the Seven Maidens? (Remilia, Kaguya, Shikieiki, Utsuho, Byakuren, Mima and Shinki)

Actually it would be the Six Maidens. Since Yuyuko is Zelda she's automatically one of the Seven Maidens. So we only need to choose six more characters not seven.

Also, If Remilia is going to be one of the Seven Maidens then Flandre should definitely take the role of Blind the Thief. Like when you find her she looks all cute and innocent, but when you get her in the light she turns into the more insane psychotic looking version. Or... just stick with the original idea of having Remilia as the boss and Flandre as the maiden instead. Might work better since Remilia always has her locked up in the basement afterall.

Koakuma would probably be a good candidate for that bat that appears when you use magic powder on that green fountain in the cave near the dwarves’ house.

As for the Loyal Sage Reimu or Sanae would work best for that role. Just have to replace the church with a shrine.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:03:54 AM by Kalencia »

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
Wonderful ideas Kalencia!

Using orb form Nue would be take alot away of the epicness factor, yes. Byakuren would indeed make a good Agahnim, looking at her connection with Nue. Then we have an actual magician to fight! And now Yukari can stay Vitreous.

And Mothula should be Mystia, yes. Mystia appears in the bamboo forest, and Mothula's dungeon lies in the forest. Her darkness song also fits the Mothula battle: during the Mothula battle your on a multitude of moving floors that throw you into spikes along the wall. Mystia's darkness song would then provide an extra hardcore aspect to the battle. The fire rod was effective against Mothula, and said rod could light up the darkness to temporarily reveal Mystia.

Ah, yes, Yuyuko as Zelda already counts as a maiden. Since Utsuho is such an destructive maniac, she wouldn't be a good maiden. We could remove her from the other maidens.
And it looks like I forgot I already made Remilia Blind. Though Flandre may indeed be a better blind, considering she pulls off the innocent girl and monster parts better than Remilia. And disguised Blind stsrts off as a caged girl. Flandre could do the same with her basement. Perhaps Flandre got manipulated by Nue to lock up her own sister (it could be justified in that Nue told Flandre that it is all a little game, and Flan loves games afterall).

I personally think Nue would make the better Ganon. If Nue is Ganon then I think Byakuren would fit better as Aghanim since she is a magician after all.

As for Mothula it would have to be a character who has wings. Like either Utsuho or Mystia would be good candidates. I'm really liking the idea of using Mystia though since if we go with her then the entire boss room could be dark like this:

Koakuma would probably be a good candidate for that bat that appears when you use magic powder on that green fountain in the cave near the dwarves? house.

As for the Loyal Sage Reimu or Sanae would work best for that role. Just have to replace the church with a shrine.

Ah yes, I couldn't figure out anyone yet for those roles, yet I oversaw the most obvious choices. Koakuma might actually try to be a rough, tough demon, only to fail spectaculary, and I think Reimu would be a good Loyal Sage, since she's more 'no nonsense' than Sanae, and actually knows Yuyuko.

But what would the Triforce be? Do we know an object in the Touhou games that has similliar powers? The series has many powerful weapons and items, but it lacks an almighty, wish granting force (not counting Yukari, since she's a living being, not an object).

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Hm... For the triforce... Well, if Nue is Ganon, maybe they could be UFOs? :V *has no idea*

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 12:21:31 AM »
The Springforce, which Youmu needs to save Yuyuko, obviously. Nothing else really makes quite as much sense, considering that PCB's plot revolved around Yuyuko nearly reviving herself (unintentionally) with the power of spring.

Valentinya

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 01:42:51 AM »
Wonderful ideas Kalencia!

Using orb form Nue would be take alot away of the epicness factor, yes. Byakuren would indeed make a good Agahnim, looking at her connection with Nue. Then we have an actual magician to fight! And now Yukari can stay Vitreous.

And Mothula should be Mystia, yes. Mystia appears in the bamboo forest, and Mothula's dungeon lies in the forest. Her darkness song also fits the Mothula battle: during the Mothula battle your on a multitude of moving floors that throw you into spikes along the wall. Mystia's darkness song would then provide an extra hardcore aspect to the battle. The fire rod was effective against Mothula, and said rod could light up the darkness to temporarily reveal Mystia.

Ah, yes, Yuyuko as Zelda already counts as a maiden. Since Utsuho is such an destructive maniac, she wouldn't be a good maiden. We could remove her from the other maidens.
And it looks like I forgot I already made Remilia Blind. Though Flandre may indeed be a better blind, considering she pulls off the innocent girl and monster parts better than Remilia. And disguised Blind stsrts off as a caged girl. Flandre could do the same with her basement. Perhaps Flandre got manipulated by Nue to lock up her own sister (it could be justified in that Nue told Flandre that it is all a little game, and Flan loves games afterall).

Ah yes, I couldn't figure out anyone yet for those roles, yet I oversaw the most obvious choices. Koakuma might actually try to be a rough, tough demon, only to fail spectaculary, and I think Reimu would be a good Loyal Sage, since she's more 'no nonsense' than Sanae, and actually knows Yuyuko.

But what would the Triforce be? Do we know an object in the Touhou games that has similliar powers? The series has many powerful weapons and items, but it lacks an almighty, wish granting force (not counting Yukari, since she's a living being, not an object).

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my ideas.

The moving floor tiles sounds like a great idea. Combined with the entire boss room being dark it would definitely make the boss battle harder then the original. But it might just be a better idea to not have any way of making the boss arena brighter. It would be more fun to keep it really challenging. After all there wasn't really any way of making things brighter during the battle with Mystia in the games until her spell card ended.

Dungeon items, still following the ALttP theme, would be:

Flute - ZUN's Synthesizer or Winn's Ewi

Since the Flute Boy is the one who gives you the flute in the original game we would need a character to play his role as well. So, I think Merlin and her trumpet would work better. After all she is the only character who also uses an instrument that requires you to blow into it to play it.

Also for Twin Lumberjacks it has to be two characters that are sisters. Since Satori is going to be Sahasrahla it can't be her and Koishi. Also as Flandre is Blind the Thief and Remilia is one of the maidens it can't be them either.

So our options are:

? Shizuha and Minoriko (would work well since they have more to do with nature and trees)
? Mugetsu and Gengetsu (who are really the only twin sisters in Touhou)

Also for your entertainment~ <3

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:16:18 PM by Kalencia »

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
Since the Flute Boy is the one who gives you the flute in the original game we would need a character to play his role as well. So, I think Merlin and her trumpet would work better. After all she is the only character who also uses an instrument that requires you to blow into it to play it.

Also for Twin Lumberjacks it has to be two characters that are sisters. Since Satori is going to be Sahasrahla it can't be her and Koishi. Also as Flandre is Blind the Thief and Remilia is one of the maidens it can't be them either.

So our options are:

? Shizuha and Minoriko (would work well since they have more to do with nature and trees)
? Mugetsu and Gengetsu (who are really the only twin sisters in Touhou)

Also for your entertainment~ <3

That edit is win.
But yeah, we haven't figured someone for the king yet. Perhaps Shikieiki? She's the only character thathas something resembling a crown, and holds the highest available political position in Gensokyo's vincinity, so I think it fits. Having another princess like Kaguya be king would be kinda redundant.

And I think it would be rather odd if nature goddesses were cutting down trees. Mugetsu and Gengetsu, being actual twins, would be a better choice.
And Merlin would be a good alternative yes. Perhaps the father (atleast I thought it was his father) that's searching for him could be played by the other two sisters.

Valentinya

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
That edit is win.
But yeah, we haven't figured someone for the king yet. Perhaps Shikieiki? She's the only character thathas something resembling a crown, and holds the highest available political position in Gensokyo's vicinity, so I think it fits. Having another princess like Kaguya be king would be kinda redundant.

And I think it would be rather odd if nature goddesses were cutting down trees. Mugetsu and Gengetsu, being actual twins, would be a better choice.
And Merlin would be a good alternative yes. Perhaps the father (at least I thought it was his father) that's searching for him could be played by the other two sisters.

Shikieiki would work best as "king" for a variety of reasons actually. Like as you stated "she's the only character that has something resembling a crown, and holds the highest available political position in Gensokyo's vicinity". In addition to that she's a Yama which according to PMiSS is the "King of Hell". Making her the perfect choice.

Yes, it's the "Flute Boy's Father" and Lunasa would probably fit best being the eldest sister.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:33:41 PM by Kalencia »

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »
Aki sisters aren't so much nature gods than harvest gods, just saying. Shiki as king (queen?!) works, since no one has true authority in Gensokyo aside from her if you think about it...

Valentinya

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Aki sisters aren't so much nature gods than harvest gods, just saying. Shiki as king (queen?!) works, since no one has true authority in Gensokyo aside from her if you think about it...

They really do have more to do with turning leaves and harvesting then the actual growing process of things. Mugetsu and Gengetsu are from a dream world, so really the Aki sisters are the only ones who actually live in Gensokyo. Also I just thought of something else. The Twin Lumberjacks  live in a cottage situated between Death Mountain and the Lost Woods. We will need to come up with a new name for Death Moutain as well. The best choice would most likely be the Youkai Mountain and the Aki sisters live near the Youkai Mountain. Aside from the minor detail of them not being twins they really seems like they are the perfect fit for the role of the Twin Lumberjacks.

Speaking of which we're going to need new names for the Normal and Dark Worlds. Well the normal world is naturally going to be Gensokyo. So therefore the dark would be the Makai.

Also the Lost Woods will become the Bamboo Forest of the Lost.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:32:42 PM by Kalencia »

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
Aside from the minor detail of them not being twins they really seems like they are the perfect fit for the role of the Twin Lumberjacks.

Speaking of which we're going to need new names for the Normal and Dark Worlds. Well the normal world is naturally going to be Gensokyo. So therefore the dark would be the Makai.

Also the Lost Woods will become the Bamboo Forest of the Lost.

Yes, perhaps they are the better fits afteral.

And regarding the locations, I wasn't really sure if Hyrule should really be Gensokyo or just Hakugyokurou. Yuyuko and Shikieiki are the princess and king queen afteral, so shouldn't it be the land of the dead? Dark World is pretty much Makai, yes.
Normal Woods would simply be the Forest of Magic, while like you said the Bamboo Forest would be the Lost Woods and Death Mountain becomes Youkai Mountain. Lake Hylia would be the lake around SDM (though the SDM would be in the Dark World village to fit with the Flandre the Thief stuff).
Normal Village would be the Human Village obviously.

I think the pyramid in the Dark World should be the Saigyou Ayakashi. Why? I figured the 'Springforce' we've established earlier would be the essence of spring that awakens Saigyou Ayakashi and it's frightening powers. Nue would want to take the Ayakashi's power for herself to take revenge on her sealers. It also makes it logical why Yuyuko is one of the Seven Maidens. During the final battle Nue awakens the Ayakashi and claims it's power, turning into a cross between her true, chimera-like form and Ganon (or just Nue bloated up to comically look like Ganon). The awakening makes Yuyuko dissapear, which gives Youmu the motivation to finish this once and for all, without any form of mercy. After the battle Youmu would use the Ayakashi's power to return everything to how it was, reviving Yuyuko for a big happy end :V

Any other suggestions?

Valentinya

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
Yes, perhaps they are the better fits afteral.

And regarding the locations, I wasn't really sure if Hyrule should really be Gensokyo or just Hakugyokurou. Yuyuko and Shikieiki are the princess and king queen afteral, so shouldn't it be the land of the dead? Dark World is pretty much Makai, yes.
Normal Woods would simply be the Forest of Magic, while like you said the Bamboo Forest would be the Lost Woods and Death Mountain becomes Youkai Mountain. Lake Hylia would be the lake around SDM (though the SDM would be in the Dark World village to fit with the Flandre the Thief stuff).
Normal Village would be the Human Village obviously.

I think the pyramid in the Dark World should be the Saigyou Ayakashi. Why? I figured the 'Springforce' we've established earlier would be the essence of spring that awakens Saigyou Ayakashi and it's frightening powers. Nue would want to take the Ayakashi's power for herself to take revenge on her sealers. It also makes it logical why Yuyuko is one of the Seven Maidens. During the final battle Nue awakens the Ayakashi and claims it's power, turning into a cross between her true, chimera-like form and Ganon (or just Nue bloated up to comically look like Ganon). The awakening makes Yuyuko dissapear, which gives Youmu the motivation to finish this once and for all, without any form of mercy. After the battle Youmu would use the Ayakashi's power to return everything to how it was, reviving Yuyuko for a big happy end :V

Any other suggestions?

Despite Yuyuko and Shikieiki  being the princess and queen the rest of the characters are from Gensokyo. So maybe instead Hyrule Castle can just be called Hakugyokurou.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 04:23:47 AM »
Armos Nights should be Suika(s), ? la Great Oni.

Valentinya

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:42 AM »
Armos Nights should be Suika(s), ? la Great Oni.

Actually someone already suggested Suika and Yuugi for the roles of the Dwarven Swordsmiths. So if we use Suika as the Armos Knights instead we need another pair of characters to be the Dwarven Swordsmiths. An alternative would be to use Momiji since she uses a sword and a shield anyways.

Lanmolas: The Prismrivers.

If Merlin is now going to be the Flute Boy then the Prismrivers can't be the Lanmolas. So we now need three other characters who are always together to fill that role. The only other ones I can think of are the Three Mischievous Fairies: Sunny, Luna, and Star.

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
Actually someone already suggested Suika and Yuugi for the roles of the Dwarven Swordsmiths. So if we use Suika as the Armos Knights instead we need another pair of characters to be the Dwarven Swordsmiths. An alternative would be to use Momiji since she uses a sword and a shield anyways.

If Merlin is now going to be the Flute Boy then the Prismrivers can't be the Lanmolas. So we now need three other characters who are always together to fill that role. The only other ones I can think of are the Three Mischievous Fairies: Sunny, Luna, and Star.

Regarding the lanmolas, they wouldn't be such farfetched choices. They're not particulary strong, so they could early bosses, and fairies have something in common with bugs.

I was the one who said the oni's should be the dwarven swordsmiths. But Suika would indeed be a good fill in for the Armos Knights, with her giant and multiplying powers. Aya and Momiji don't have a role yet, so they could indeed be playing the dwarven swordsmiths.

Also, I'm not really sure to keep Kanako Trinexx. She has the snake motive, yes, but she doesn't have much with turtles or fire and ice. Though, we could use Kanako, Suwako AND Sanae for the individual heads. Moriyanexx!

Daiyousei is already the normal world great fairy, but should she be the dark world great fairy too? Or should Shinki be it, being the goddess of Makai? (though the image of a moblin Shinki makes my eyes bleed and my heart implode).

Valentinya

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Regarding the lanmolas, they wouldn't be such farfetched choices. They're not particulary strong, so they could early bosses, and fairies have something in common with bugs.

I was the one who said the oni's should be the dwarven swordsmiths. But Suika would indeed be a good fill in for the Armos Knights, with her giant and multiplying powers. Aya and Momiji don't have a role yet, so they could indeed be playing the dwarven swordsmiths.

Also, I'm not really sure to keep Kanako Trinexx. She has the snake motive, yes, but she doesn't have much with turtles or fire and ice. Though, we could use Kanako, Suwako AND Sanae for the individual heads. Moriyanexx!

Daiyousei is already the normal world great fairy, but should she be the dark world great fairy too? Or should Shinki be it, being the goddess of Makai? (though the image of a moblin Shinki makes my eyes bleed and my heart implode).

That works too. Although, originally I was thinking Aya would be a better choice for the Running Man in Kakariko Village. After all who is faster then Aya?

That could work. But, you previously had Suwako as the Helmasaur King. So we will nee a replacement for that role.

Daiyousei can be both the normal and the dark world great fairies. There really isn't any reason to change it up. Since the dark world great fairy despite being a moblin fairy was still the same character.

Also, I really don't want to sound negative, but honestly we need to be realistic here. I think everyone needs to remember while it's fun to suggest ideas actually making them a reality is another matter. I mean we're talking about replacing every single sprite in the game. I don't think many of the people who have posted so far understand just how much work that involves, or know how to even do it for that matter.

Replacing the sprites of Link and the NPCs shouldn't be too much trouble. However it's the boss sprites that worry me. In fact I'm not even sure if it's possible to make big changes to their sprites without running into problems. Slight alterations may be possible, however I don't think a massive overhaul is really going to be doable. We definitely can at least try though. I'm just saying not to get our hopes up too high.

Now with that being said I have a few ideas to put out there. It doesn't really seem like enough to just replace the sprites in the game. Since really that's nothing more then slapping a Touhou skin over LttP. So if we are really going to go through all that work we should take it a step further. Personally I would like to overhaul the entire game as a whole. I'm talking about a brand new storyline, new normal world, new dark world, new graphics, and of course new music . All of that is completely possible to do, and it's even been done before. Of course such a huge project is impossible for any single person to do and would require a team of people. If enough people seriously actually want a Touhou Zelda then it's more then possible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:14:59 AM by Kalencia »

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Well, when I was talking about this I thought it would be more like Super Marisa World. Basically the same game but with loads of references and parodies, along with it's own unique mechanics and level builds (and way, way harder).
But yeah, I mostly continue on these kind of conversations because it's fun to imagine all the roles for the characters :V I have absolutely no experience with making games, even with such things as Zelda Classic. I'd be more of a burden than a help when making the game. :-[ I'm only good at suggestions.

And damnit, I continually keep forgetting which of the characters I've already established! Though I realised that Reimu riding an armored Genji would also make a good Helmasur King (break the mask and you see Reimu sitting on Genji's head. She's the weakpoint, but now that she's out in the open she can start danmaku'ing on you, making it way harder).

Valentinya

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Well, when I was talking about this I thought it would be more like Super Marisa World. Basically the same game but with loads of references and parodies, along with it's own unique mechanics and level builds (and way, way harder).
But yeah, I mostly continue on these kind of conversations because it's fun to imagine all the roles for the characters :V I have absolutely no experience with making games, even with such things as Zelda Classic. I'd be more of a burden than a help when making the game. :-[ I'm only good at suggestions.

And damnit, I continually keep forgetting which of the characters I've already established! Though I realised that Reimu riding an armored Genji would also make a good Helmasur King (break the mask and you see Reimu sitting on Genji's head. She's the weakpoint, but now that she's out in the open she can start danmaku'ing on you, making it way harder).

Actually despite the "World" suffix Super Marisa World was an entirely new game. It may be similar to it but it doesn't use the original Super Mario World game at all. Now that sort of thing is really is impossible since it's beyond our capabilities. It would involve creating a brand new game which would require a lot more work then just ROM hacking a game would.

If Reimu is riding an armored Genji as the Helmasur King who is going to be the Loyal Sage? Also it's definitely not possible to change the way the bosses act. So having a Reimu that shoots danmaku at you is beyond impossible since the boss spits fireballs from it's mouth. Not to mention trying to make sprites for that if even possible would be even more work. I think using Suwako and having her hat be the mask would be much easier if possible.

Well even if you or anyone else reading this thread isn't good at making games it's still possible to help. Even just suggesting ideas can be very helpful. Also we're going to have a brand new story so we will need someone to write it. Link's sprites have to be changed to look more like Youmu. So anyone who is good with photoshop or paint could try doing that. So there are actually quite a few things people help with  :)

Speaking of which I'll also post Link's sprite sheet for anyone interested:

There are 229 sprites on Link's sprite sheet but a few of them such as the ones where you can't see Link at all are not necessary to change. To start, the first thing that should be taken care of are Link's head sprites and any sprite with his head attached. We can most likely just leave the rabbit head Link sprites alone though. But all of the rest of them have to be changed to look like Youmu.

Also it would greatly help if anybody can find people willing and able to help out with this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:06:19 AM by Kalencia »