Author Topic: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin  (Read 23005 times)

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
Does anybody have this game? I can't beat the last level (I actually had help for the Great Owl missions, I admit) but I generally fare well against human opponents. I suck at fighting the computer.

If anybody wants to battle me, let me know. I'll post my friend code after this battle...
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Re: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
Every last battle of advance wars seem to have it's difficulties greatly spiked... >:(

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
Every last battle of advance wars seem to have it's difficulties greatly spiked... >:(
Yeah. I gave up all hope of beating the game ages back. I only keep it for wifi battles, and now I'm starting to lose those too because I haven't played in a few months. <_<

Anyway, my FC is: 343791320788

Lots of 3s, 7s, and 8s. Anyway, hope to see you on if you still have the will to play.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
For the last battle, rockets.  Rockets, rockets, rockets.  They are the only way you will knock off the ones in the middle.  Do not believe the game when it tells you to go for bombers; they have no chance at all.  And if at ALL possible, wall in at least one of the spawn points on the base to stop him from dropping a War Tank and a Fighter every turn.

Days of Ruin was the best of the AW  games, for sure.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »
Yeah, but I got stuck at mission 23 and then made the horrible mistake of not playing for about a month. Now I have no chance... someone was able to get to the last mission for me, but I definitely can't beat that. Thanks for the tips though.

I just want to get some online battling in before I sell the game, but it was a blast while it lasted.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
For the last battle, rockets.  Rockets, rockets, rockets.  They are the only way you will knock off the ones in the middle.  Do not believe the game when it tells you to go for bombers; they have no chance at all.  And if at ALL possible, wall in at least one of the spawn points on the base to stop him from dropping a War Tank and a Fighter every turn.

Days of Ruin was the best of the AW  games, for sure.

what no

there's a gimmicky way of beating by spamming bombers and abusing the AI

theshirn

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »
I tried spamming bombers.  He countered by spamming fighters and missiles.  Most of my bombers never made it to the turrets.  I know it's possible, but the rocket strategy is WAY easier.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

shinyjam

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:56:25 AM »
Meh...is like doing 10 moves wrong and you are screw...while the AI are too overpowered to mess up. :'(

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »
Meh...is like doing 10 moves wrong and you are screw...while the AI are too overpowered to mess up. :'(
10? More like 1.

shinyjam

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 01:04:14 AM »
10? More like 1.
Agree. I also put that but decide to put 10  ;D

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
I personally found none of the Advance War games ever difficult, or Fire Emblem for that matter until Hard Mode, even then most of the missions were still easy if not a bit drawn out.

Granted, the missions scale up to unfair when the enemy has death rays, infinitely producing factories of units, and a stupidly large army, but the missions are often set up in such a way that there are key points in the battle field that if you grab, the battle is won.  Take AW2 Orange Star final mission, that bridge north of base is key.  Grab that and you win.

The AI is also pretty predictable.

Human players, on the other hand, I can't seem to win against.  <.<;
Regardless, I sold my copy of AWDR, so I can't join.

Lost

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
To this day I still can't beat the last mission for the life of me and have subsequently stopped trying it anymore.

All I do now is just challenge random people online since I don't know very many people with the game nor do I know my own FC for my DS. :V

Also, I wish the Beast was a playable CO or at least was the generic CO on the list, I liked his theme more.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:40:03 AM »
I personally found none of the Advance War games ever difficult, or Fire Emblem for that matter until Hard Mode, even then most of the missions were still easy if not a bit drawn out.
AW1 AC?

DoR's Sunrise isn't that difficult.
1) Use Rockets and Bombers
2) Destroy the left Mortar first and as soon as you can
3) Wait until the Nest spawns something useless like a Missile Launcher or Fighter, and then surround it with (probably weakened) units.  Boom, no more reinforcements.
4) Etc.  It's quite possible to win by rout if you wanted to.

theshirn

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 02:36:34 AM »
2) Destroy the left Mortar first and as soon as you can
You mean the laser, right?  You can't actually destroy the mortars, can you?  Because, if you can, I will be enraged.  The damn mortars probably doubled the length of the mission.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
The story in this game is awesome.

Also holy shit I love Lin :V

LastlevelohshiLAZERS
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:16:58 PM by Suikama »

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 04:27:02 AM »
Dude, the plot twist with Coulder was unexpected.

I wish I just could've seen the ending...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
Yeah I got this game, it's basically all I play via portable, that and Dual strike >=P. I like both fairly equally. Dual strike might be better imo for fun caused by more units, interesting units, and more diversion between cos. Days of ruin is probably more balanced, has better production quality, and has some pretty good music.

theshirn

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
The story in this game is awesome.

Also holy shit I love Lin :V

LastlevelohshiLAZERS
Been replaying it, got to level 10 last night.  Lin is pure awesomeness.  "Don't tell me you actually have a favorite 10-digit number?"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »
Been replaying it, got to level 10 last night.  Lin is pure awesomeness.  "Don't tell me you actually have a favorite 10-digit number?"

I'm rather fond of '0123456789' >=P

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
Days of Ruin was a pretty good game. The series needed some scaling back but I think they nerfed the CO Powers a little too much, althought the unit leveling was a nice touch. I also loved how despite the overall grittier tone of the game and despite being maybe a little generic, they still managed to squeeze in a number of funny moments and make some cool characters. Forsythe was a gentleman and a pimp.

The difficulty was about on par with the other AW games until the last stage. I actually had to use a strategy guide for it. If it were just the factory churning out units and the lasers it would be fine but the STUPID MORTAR BOMBS would completely ruin me at the worst possible times. And I beat the Hard campaigns on AW2 and DS. That stage was just unfair.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
I believe they nerfed the co powers that hard because they basically were so powerful in previous av games, that they pretty much had their own "class" system for them. For DoR, it's pretty much cauldar who is in a different class.

The leveling system is indeed cool. But I think it has a deeper, more nefarious purpose... ok no not really. I think it's there in an effort to make "meat shielding" using infantry less desireable. Rockets and infantry were kind of an unfair combo alot of the time, now if you do that you're potentially feeding your enemy experience.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 04:33:36 AM »
Yeah, the changes made in DoR really improved the game. Veterancy favors high-power units since they get more kills, so it's easy for them to get defense bonuses that greatly improve their cost effectiveness.

The price hike on infantry combined with units getting easy veterancy from killing them went a long way towards nerfing them so that manspam isn't the name of the game anymore, plus mechs are a bit more attractive, and bikes speed up the capture phase nicely.

The scaled-down big tanks were a good change too, they're less extreme so they see more play.

All these factors make expensive units more viable, where previous AWs were all about covering the field with cheap masses since bigger units were so inefficient cost-wise.

COs have a much more subtle effect on the game now which I suppose is for the best. I prefer the AW2 system for COs but I doubt they would ever balance it thoroughly.

Sean

• The Disturbed Leader of Four Against Nature
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »
Days of Ruin was a pretty good game. The series needed some scaling back but I think they nerfed the CO Powers a little too much, althought the unit leveling was a nice touch.

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, I do think the CO Powers took a really big hit. At the same time I can see why it was done. Some CO Powers in the previous games (ESPECIALLY in Dual Strike with the Tag System) were pretty badly overpowered.

Aside from that, I enjoy Days of Ruin, but I prefer the more lighthearted atmosphere of the previous games. I still need to finish it though, I think I'm like halfway into Mission 23.
This Signature only existed in my mind.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, I do think the CO Powers took a really big hit. At the same time I can see why it was done. Some CO Powers in the previous games (ESPECIALLY in Dual Strike with the Tag System) were pretty badly overpowered.

Aside from that, I enjoy Days of Ruin, but I prefer the more lighthearted atmosphere of the previous games. I still need to finish it though, I think I'm like halfway into Mission 23.

I think DoR is an improvement overall in terms of design. However it hurts to play somewhat because it just has less stuff, less units, less cos, less tiles, etc..

Personally I hate it when a game series features less stuff in a later incarnation. A good exmple is heroes of might and magic 3 to homm 4.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »
You mean the laser, right?  You can't actually destroy the mortars, can you?  Because, if you can, I will be enraged.  The damn mortars probably doubled the length of the mission.
Oh, wait.  The lasers.  I must have remembered something wrong.  Those mortars were hideous though.

Lin overall had the best lines in the game.  Gage had the best theme though - easily.

Hey Stuffman, how familiar with AW are you?  I didn't expect someone here to talk about infantry spam, let alone unit variety.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
Oh, wait.  The lasers.  I must have remembered something wrong.  Those mortars were hideous though.

Lin overall had the best lines in the game.  Gage had the best theme though - easily.

Hey Stuffman, how familiar with AW are you?  I didn't expect someone here to talk about infantry spam, let alone unit variety.
gage? is that the guy with a co power that boosted airplane defense by 5 stars or whatever? I thought he had the worst.

my fave co music themes were:
The OFFENSIVE airplane co lady (I really like metal with an egyptian twist.. no I do not like the band nile).
the grit sniper wannabe co whose only saving grace (other than good music), was that his bonus affected navel as well as indirect units.
I rather like tabitha's theme too.. I think her name is that. The caulder-like co who isn't as blatently op as caulder and has absolutely no co zone at level 1.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
Gage was the second one you mentioned, the one with good music.  You're thinking of Waylon.

Tabitha's theme was pretty decent too.

The COs in this game weren't very well-balanced at all IMO...

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »

I played AW competitively for a few years and did okay in some tournaments. I know the game very well.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »
I played AW competitively for a few years and did okay in some tournaments. I know the game very well.
That's actually pretty cool.  How long ago was this?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
It's been about two years or so since I played seriously I think? I learned the game by playing it at AWBW, though I haven't been there in quite a while. The AW2 metagame got a bit boring for me. If they had something like it for DoR I'd be all over it.

That said I wasn't that serious a player. I mained Jess even though she was in her AW2 mode which was underpowered, so I didn't win often. You pick up a lot of information about the game by listening to people talk on the forums though. I know a lot of arcane stuff about the damage formula and whatnot too.

If I made an AW clone I'm confident I could make it thoroughly balanced, and I've thought about doing it a couple times, but I've got other stuff on my plate.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of AW game gets made next; I don't think they can continue the current setting since a lot of the COs die in DoR  :D